Some Voice Actor Love

+
just a shout out to all the voice actors who're making this game possible. don't feel like they get enough appreciation, especially if they're not main/named characters or in the non-English localisations. i'm trying to do better at recognising my favourite non-English voice actors so i'm bringing you all along! so let's begin:

V - Gavin Drea (m-EN), Cherami Leigh (f-EN), Lidia Sadowa (f-POL), Kamil Kula (m-POL), Flavia Vinzens (f-GER), Björn Schallla (m-GER), Chikahiro Kobayashi (m-JPN), Risa Shimizu (f-JPN), Federico Viola (m-ITA), Martina Felli (f-ITA), Fabrício Vilaverde (m-BRA), Érika Menezes (f-BRA)
special note that John Flanagan voiced V for the original cinematic, which is why there's been differing opinions between mV's voice between those two instances. personally I prefer Flanagan
Johnny Silverhand - Keanu Reeves (EN), Benjamin Völz (GER), Michał Żebrowski (POL), Toshiyuki Morikawa (JPN), Luca Ward (ITA), Duda Ribeiro (BRA)
Jackie Welles - Jason Hightower (EN), Carlos Lobo (GER), Yōji Ueda (JPN)
Dexter DeShawn - Michael-Leon Wooley (EN), Tilo Schmitz (GER), Ryūzaburō Ōtomo (JPN)
Lizzy Wizzy - Grimes (EN)
Brigitte - Kaori Yamagate (JPN)
Placide - Lovensky Jean-Baptiste (EN, unconfirmed), Yasuhiro Mamiya (JPN)
Delamin AI - Samuel Barnett (EN)
Doctor Paradox - Mark Holden (EN)
Mateo - Antonio Alvarez (EN)
Wakako Okada - Ren Hanami (EN)
Various - Ronan Favereau (EN), Sara Novak (EN), Robert Vernon (EN), Mark Holden (EN)
Unknown - Hiroyuki Sanada (JPN)

if anyone knows more than these, say so! some things i like about this list: Morikawa is the usual Japanese dub for Reeves; Carlos Lobo is a go-to for Spanish accents in German; i have a feeling Sanada is gonna voice Takemura, but that's just a suspicion.

Last edited:
Delamin AI is the taxi cab ai from the cinematic when...that thing happens that we're gonna hope is avoidable

Doctor Paradox in the ttRPG was kind of a loud conspiracy theorist. something you'd get crossing modern art and illuminati conspiracies. so...yeah...if 2077 dr paradox is anything like that...it'll be something.

the other two we have no public info on them

Every actor so far seems to have delivered good performances in their own way, e.g. I believe Gavin Drea’s “arrogant” performance in this year’s 25-minute-long gameplay demo really suits (pun intended :LOL:) corpo male V, and his “Jesse Pinkman-esque” performance in the cinematic trailer fits street kid male V.

But, if I had to pick favorites, I’d go with Cherami Leigh’s and Jason Hightower’s performances in the 2018 48-minutes-long demo :ok:

Italian voice actors:
V - Federico Viola (m), Martina Felli (f)
Johnny Silverhand - Luca Ward (He is the one that usually dubs Keanu Reeves, most notably Neo in The Matrix)

Hightower's performance is spot on. Everything so far has sounded good, but male V sounds like a cocky dick in most situations which is something I hope we have roleplay control over.

Hightower's performance is spot on. Everything so far has sounded good, but male V sounds like a cocky dick in most situations which is something I hope we have roleplay control over.
yeah i regretfully have to agree with you. and it's interesting you bring up his [arrogance] because as far as i can tell John Flanagan (who voiced male V in the original cinematic) is older than Gavin Drea, and that maturity and lack of cockiness is perceivable to me.
Gavin's youth might have a purpose to it though; his street kid voice in the prologue mission did sort of bring through a little more unsureness and vulnerability than his corpo voice. definitely can't make too firm judgments on such little footage of his acting in the game.

i think it's really important to bring up that the actors did not get to record lines with gameplay footage available to them. they voice acted their lines only with the script and the stage direction notes. so whatever nuances and context the gameplay footage could have offered, they didn't have that; they only had the context as described by the script. which in my opinion is weird but just something to keep in mind.

Don`t forget the stuff we have seen is before the Corpo V gets royally screwed . He might not be so full of himself after he is just some dumb ass on the street :shrug:

All I know is that Drea sounds like I'm not sure I can stomach his performance for the duration of the whole game, if even half of it.

@kofeiiniturpa yeah i wonder why Flanagan didn't get cast into the full role after the cinematic? i am realising when given the option between male and female voice actors, i lean toward female (makes sense tho).
but even besides that recent games where there's an option tend to have better female voice acting. i'm remembering specifically in Odyssey Michael Antonakos as Alexios went way too over the top while Melissanthi Mahut just hit that spot

Mmm, I don’t know, personally I prefer Drea’s performance over Flanagan’s. Drea’s V does sound a bit tryhard sometimes (e.g. the “You know f**k all about me!” or “Drive, Jackie, just drive!” lines) but in general his performance fits the type of character V is more than Flanagan’s. Nothing against the latter’s performance, for the record, but e.g. V’s voice in the 2019 trailer was way more of my liking than 2018 trailer’s V.

Cherami Leigh’s performance is still my favorite but I want to hear a bit more of her V (e.g. her corpo V is probably going to sound great too, judging by Leigh’s “bitchy” performance in NieR: Automata). And I’m eager to hear both Vs in the more emotional scenes.

i'm remembering specifically in Odyssey Michael Antonakos as Alexios went way too over the top while Melissanthi Mahut just hit that spot

One of the reasons I’ll pick Kassandra on my first run on AC: Odyssey, actually. I don’t think Alexios’ delivery sucks as much as people on the web say but, comparatively, I prefer Kassandra’s more. She just sounds more like the character should than him, if that makes sense.

@MauricioMM totally understand where you're coming from. i have personal hangups with the way voice actors are directed in the industry as a whole, it's not anything particular against Drea. i feel like voice actors, esp in games, are encouraged to sound 'video gamey.' i want them to talk like people g*ddammit lol. Alistair in DA:O for example: he sounds like a genuine, human snarky asshole. and his later appearances sound like his character has been put through the shittiest ringer. that's how a person sounds, esp a person who's been through what they've been through. but in most games, esp games that are trying to be a video-game-ass-video-game, the voice acting is just--i'm laughing just thinking about it XD

Drea's gonna do fine. they're going for a tone that pays homage to the 80s which i appreciate. it's supposed to be campy. and given the dystopia we currently live in, i'd like to have a campy dystopia i can laugh at for a few hundred hours :)

Top Bottom