Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a problem with the sound quality in The Witcher. After I play the game for about an hour, the background music and video sequence sound become glitchy and choppy. At first, I thought it might be because I was using my motherboard's onboard sound, so I purchased a sound card. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem. The only way to correct the issue (temporarily, of course) is to restart my computer. Yes, the entire computer must be restarted. Exiting the game and then restarting it after the sound has become choppy does not fix the problem. Below, I've outlined what I've done. If anyone knows how to correct this problem once and for all, I'd be sincerely grateful!
  • I'm running Windows XP SP 3. Plain and simple.
  • I installed the absolute latest version of Direct X...dated August 2008.
  • I received The Witcher for my birthday and before even playing it for the first time, I downloaded and installed the Enhanced version patch. There were no problems during either the original or patch installations.
  • If it matters at all, my new sound card is a Soundblaster Audigy SE.
Thanks!-Aurora

Hey Dudes!Can anyone give me a hand to solve my problem? I have no clue what to do. I'm working with a Vista x64. Downloaded newest driver for Creative X-fi+upgraded ALchemy. message: "DSOUND.DLL"Thanky you!Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BEX Application Name: witcher.EXE Application Version: 1.4.5.1282 Application Timestamp: 489d12ce Fault Module Name: DSOUND.DLL Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 475ee1b1 Exception Offset: 000783c5 Exception Code: c000000d Exception Data: 00000000 OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1038 Additional Information 1: 8061 Additional Information 2: a384c4d6151614ce8ce9558d694056cf Additional Information 3: 3b01 Additional Information 4: c8c9afc29d35214f4c2630f3a74c3be9

Kattonfo said:
Hey Dudes!Can anyone give me a hand to solve my problem? I have no clue what to do. I'm working with a Vista x64. Downloaded newest driver for Creative X-fi+upgraded ALchemy. message: "DSOUND.DLL"
update DirectX? put Buffers on 5 for Witcher in Alchemy?

I just would like to inform you that soon we’ll launch patch solving the problem with EAX (and couple other issues)So stay tuned! :D

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Hey Dudes!Can anyone give me a hand to solve my problem? I have no clue what to do. I'm working with a Vista x64. Downloaded newest driver for Creative X-fi+upgraded ALchemy. message: "DSOUND.DLL"
update DirectX? put Buffers on 5 for Witcher in Alchemy?
I've done but didn't solve my problem. :(

vanworden said:
I just would like to inform you that soon we’ll launch patch solving the problem with EAX (and couple other issues)So stay tuned! :D
Hey Dude it's a good news but what does "soon" mean? I'm afraid i gonna to finish this great game at that time. :peace:

I have Witcher enabled in ALchemy and dungeons/sewers sound awful. The reverb is too strong and it sounds ridiculous. Echo times a billion. How can I fix that?

chodetaculous said:
I have Witcher enabled in ALchemy and dungeons/sewers sound awful. The reverb is too strong and it sounds ridiculous. Echo times a billion. How can I fix that?
Buffer=5 in Alchemy?

Want to post this up as it may be helpful to someone with this issue.This is a alternate mssmp3.asi file which is known to fix many other games (including Call of Duty 4) that use the miles sound system and get EAX crashes/errors and/or missing sounds.Not sure if it will do anything at all for X-FI users.. worth a shot, but anyone else using Audigy 2, SB Live!, SoundMax, etc.. give it a try. (See Attachment)Anyhow, let me know if it helps anyone.

Crypton said:
Want to post this up as it may be helpful to someone with this issue.This is a alternate mssmp3.asi file which is known to fix many other games (including Call of Duty 4) that use the miles sound system and get EAX crashes/errors and/or missing sounds.Not sure if it will do anything at all for X-FI users.. worth a shot, but anyone else using Audigy 2, SB Live!, SoundMax, etc.. give it a try. (See Attachment)Anyhow, let me know if it helps anyone.
the fixes is the FAQ/OP are known to work, the file msseax.flt seems to be at fault anyway

the fixes is the FAQ/OP are known to work, the file msseax.flt seems to be at fault anyway[/QUOTE]Great... But if it works for some and not all, they have another option to try as it did not fix my issue with EAX crash error (when I did not even have EAX enabled btw) It was the same exact issue I had with COD4 when I first purchased it and the file provided fixed my issue among many others. My issue only occured when exiting the game however. One more possibility to have as an option.New versions of miles is known to have issues with legacy support for older cards (anything below X-Fi) - the file is an older version which still had legacy support. Can read a post here on COD4 forums about it http://infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15600, although the original post (before they re-did their forums wiping out all the old useful sticky posts) was more in depth and explained the issue in detail. The other option that used to be in the sticky was to just rename the file to something else preventing the game from using it. (which worked as well but prevented also many sounds from processing ingame)Just like "checking alternate pixel center" for the blurry cutscene issue did not fix my issue, but turning AF to 16x and AA set to Off did. Alternate pixel center only created a new problem, a odd multicolored bar on the bottom and right side of my screen...Point is it doesn't hurt to have more options.

Crypton said:
New versions of miles is known to have issues with legacy support for older cards (anything below X-Fi) - the file is an older version which still had legacy support. Can read a post here on COD4 forums about it http://infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15600, although the original post (before they re-did their forums wiping out all the old useful sticky posts) was more in depth and explained the issue in detail. The other option that used to be in the sticky was to just rename the file to something else preventing the game from using it. (which worked as well but prevented also many sounds from processing ingame)
as you can see the EAX fix was removed while waiting for the *official* patch ;)

Kattonfo said:
Kattonfo said:
Hey Dude it's a good news but what does "soon" mean? I'm afraid i gonna to finish this great game at that time. :peace:
Soon :teeth:

i played the demo it was realy good so i got game and there no sound in it are in demo now after completing demo any ideals i reloaded sound and grafics drivers

thorzeen said:
i played the demo it was realy good so i got game and there no sound in it are in demo now after completing demo any ideals i reloaded sound and grafics drivers
did you read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ? ( see the Sound Acceleration trick )read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed, try the older version of PCWizard if a good report is not generated

hi there,i didnt read through yet, sorry for something you may know already, but for the STARTUP ERROR pointing to mss32.dll problem I solved the crash with exchanging the MILES FOLDER with the ORIGINAL one from the original release. before you patch make a copy of it. I found out that actually exchanging the mss32.dll with the old one doesnt effect the crash at all. it's all the other miles stuff in that folder. it worked, but didnt play the game long enough to find any other mentioned problems like freeze or crashs. anyroad,... . ticking the EAX choice in audio options worked, but couldnt find out more as you know already.best, blackbird.

jacksonblackbird said:
hi there,i didnt read through yet, sorry for something you may know already, but for the STARTUP ERROR pointing to mss32.dll problem I solved the crash with exchanging the MILES FOLDER with the ORIGINAL one from the original release. before you patch make a copy of it. I found out that actually exchanging the mss32.dll with the old one doesnt effect the crash at all. it's all the other miles stuff in that folder. it worked, but didnt play the game long enough to find any other mentioned problems like freeze or crashs. anyroad,... . ticking the EAX choice in audio options worked, but couldnt find out more as you know already.best, blackbird.
it's already known, the early fixes were retired while waiting for the official fix

hi i finally got fast internet so i could download the enhanced edition. I installed it and now only my left speaker has sound coming out of it in game, a little bit of sound coming out of the right. How do i fix this problem? i sis a search and there seems to be other people with the dame problem but couldnt find a fix. I'll hold off from playing until its fix thx.

LunaPark said:
hi i finally got fast internet so i could download the enhanced edition. I installed it and now only my left speaker has sound coming out of it in game, a little bit of sound coming out of the right. How do i fix this problem? i sis a search and there seems to be other people with the dame problem but couldnt find a fix. I'll hold off from playing until its fix thx.
only in the witcher? try to disable EAXwhat sound card? drivers? Windows?where did you find other having the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom