Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really a big deal but I thought I'd get some input. I noticed my saves don't show a picture next to them which I think they are supposed to like a snapshot of the place my character is in at the point of saving, I just see black boxes??? Then the EAX sound option is greyed out in my audio options and won't let me use it even though I supposedly have EAX advanced HD 4.0 built into my computer? Although I am missing the alchemy program. Anyone know where I can get a download for that? I know this is off topic but you all seem to know alchemy here and I had an issue with having to exchange my laptop for a new one when the wireless card failed but while the first had alchemy pre-installed this one did not even though it's same model and the store won't help me out. Just wondering if anyone might know how I can remedy this :p

i have the same problem. just reinstalled TW1 on Windows7 x64 as administrator with patch as admin and started the game as admin and EAX is greyed out. I have alchemy installed but theWitcher is not listed, only Diablo2 for example. So no detection for thewitcher since it aint an old directsound game.

Darlok86 said:
It's not really a big deal but I thought I'd get some input. I noticed my saves don't show a picture next to them which I think they are supposed to like a snapshot of the place my character is in at the point of saving, I just see black boxes??? Then the EAX sound option is greyed out in my audio options and won't let me use it even though I supposedly have EAX advanced HD 4.0 built into my computer? Although I am missing the alchemy program. Anyone know where I can get a download for that? I know this is off topic but you all seem to know alchemy here and I had an issue with having to exchange my laptop for a new one when the wireless card failed but while the first had alchemy pre-installed this one did not even though it's same model and the store won't help me out. Just wondering if anyone might know how I can remedy this :p
ALchemy: http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx ( did you install everything for the game as Admin ? see here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21633.msg5355241#msg5355241 )if the saved games load ok just ignore the missing pictures
Darlok86 said:
i have the same problem. just reinstalled TW1 on Windows7 x64 as administrator with patch as admin and started the game as admin and EAX is greyed out. I have alchemy installed but theWitcher is not listed, only Diablo2 for example. So no detection for thewitcher since it aint an old directsound game.
add it manually

Running Win 7 Ultimate 64bitSound is a SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty ProFor some reason I can't enable EAX sound, I have updated to 1.5 and have directors cut.

Vista Ultimate and The Witcher enhanced ed though steam with the directors cut patch.Eax is and always has been greyed out.more info avail at req.**Edit**Fixed after some playing with alchemy

quick update, i reinstalled TheWitcher EE and suddenly it appeared in my alchemy list as well and the "EAX" button is no longer greyed out.....

When I look at the sound options, EAX is disabled/greyed out/unchecked and I can't check it (enable it). I installed the game (TWEE) by right clicking on setup.exe and running as administrator (I was already logged on under an admin). Then I installed the 1.5 patch by running as admin. After that, I updated, then uninstalled, TAGES, by running TagesSetup_x64.exe. Finally, I installed the director's cut patch by running it as an administrator. I repeated the above process 3 times. I did it that way because I searched the forums, and found that EAX might be disabled if the game is not installed as an admin. Clearly, I installed the game as an admin, but it is still disabled. How come? What can I do to enable it?

there is a long thread about this issue:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0, read to the end of the first post where you find:Q: Sound issues regarding EAX and other in Vista/7 with or without ALchemy ( not limited to Creative cards )Tip 0: Did you install the game as Administrator ? If not then that might be the problem.Tip 1: If the sound pops or cracks: try to set up in ALchemy the Buffers to 5Tip 2: If the game crashes with a DSOUND.DLL error: you need to run witcher.exe as Administratorhttp://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21633.msg5355241#msg5355241and make sure you add TW1 in the Alchemy manually if it has not been recognized.somebody lock this please, thanks

Thanks for your reply.--> Tip 0: Did you install the game as Administrator ? If not then that might be the problem.Installed as admin.--> Tip 1: If the sound pops or cracks: try to set up in ALchemy the Buffers to 5Game sound does not pop or crack. Don't have Alchemy installed. Can't pick it as an installable option on the CD that came with my Forte. Can't pick it as an installable option when I download the Forte drivers from the Auzentech website. Can't "add" Alchemy when using the installer on the CD or from the downloaded drivers (Auzentech website)--> Tip 2: If the game crashes with a DSOUND.DLL error: you need to run witcher.exe as AdministratorGame does not crash.What should I try next? I looked at the Auzen website but they don't have Alchemy DL for my drivers, they have it for a different set (Prelude). The Alchemy that comes with my drivers I can't install (see above). I also tried running the Alchemy setup, but I get an error telling me to close open programs, check internet connectivity, and empty my Temp folder. I do all of those things, but I always get that error when trying to run the Alchemy setup directly (as admin or otherwise).

for problems installing the forte ALchemy software I would contact Auzentech themselves. It's their software, I use the creative alchemy. UPDATE: just had a look at their website. There is no alchemy download option for the forte card, only for the prelude. I would contact them to find out if the forte even supports that feature. If not - EAX will stay greyed out, sorry pal

Well, after a long back and forth with Auzentech, the issue is solved. Now the menu sounds are SUPER loud, but that's another thing entirely... thanks!

dfn said:
Well, after a long back and forth with Auzentech, the issue is solved. Now the menu sounds are SUPER loud, but that's another thing entirely... thanks!
do post what their solution was. 10x

I noticed that my rear channels were completely unused, with absolutely no sound coming out of either one of them. I tried to change the audio settings, but quickly found out that there is no option to change the number of channels.At the moment, I am playing with what seems to be 2.1 setting.Does Witcher EE not support 5.1 channel, or is it a problem on my part?for your information:Windows 7Creative Labs Sound Blaster eXtremegamerEAX disabledWitcher Enhanced Edition 1.5 patch w/ director's cut

I'm not seeing any information of surround sound compatibility for the game. Usually, marketing has them list it if it's there, I think you'll have to make-do with stereo.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
do post what their solution was. 10x
It wasn't their solution exactly, but some of the things they suggested led me to it. They recommended various things:re-installing ALchemy from CD, re-downloading latest drivers, trying the card in a new system.What I did:Insert CD, go to "install" but instead "repair" ALchemy.However, I'm sorry to say, this did not last long. After a short while, I now have 2 more issues:1) No sound at all, everything under options/sound is greyed out and I can't check/uncheck anything (disable sound is checked).2) ALchemy won't start at all. If I double click it, nothing happens. Checked the task manager, it doesn't even appear briefly.If anyone knows the solution to 1), I'd love to hear it. I didn't do anything to my settings other than repair ALchemy, and the problem didn't start right after that anyway.

From this review:
The engine’s audio system can handle environmental audio and 3D positional sound sources with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.
Is that false?I was also under the impression that The Witcher has surround sound. Was hoping to use my Forte's DDL to encode game sounds then stream AC3 to my receiver and have the receiver decode the AC3.

dfn said:
However, I'm sorry to say, this did not last long. After a short while, I now have 2 more issues:1) No sound at all, everything under options/sound is greyed out and I can't check/uncheck anything (disable sound is checked).
run regedit and search for the cdprojekt red key -> Settings ->set Disable Sound to "0" (if that's the key ) if it's Enable Sound then make it "1"

hermanmelville said:
I noticed that my rear channels were completely unused, with absolutely no sound coming out of either one of them.
get ALchemy: http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom