Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

This is a work-in-progress FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 , do check it often as new tips are being addedQ: Sound issues regarding EAX and other in Vista/7 with or without ALchemy ( not limited to Creative cards )Tip 0: Did you install the game as Administrator ? If not then that might be the problem.Tip 1: If the sound pops or cracks: try to set up in ALchemy the Buffers to 5Tip 2: If the game crashes with a DSOUND.DLL error: you need to run witcher.exe as AdministratorQ: I have a Dell XPS M1730 or other Dell that has a LightFX feature and/or a SigmaTel sound driver, and i get choppy sound and/or bad performance.A: You need to disable the LightFX support in the game. Just rename the folder named "LightFX" in the witcher/system/ folder._______________________________I am unable to get any sound in game. the sound works fine on my PC and all other games and even in the demo verson of the witcher it just seems to be the full verson i bought the other day.I have updateed all my drivers and patched the game but still im unable to get any sound If anyone could come up with a solution i would be very happy as the game is a little boaring with out sound :(

Im RunningWindows XP, Version 2002, SP 2 ( with latest updates )Intel Pentium 4 3.20GHz3.00 GB Ram Radeon x1300 Graphics CardCreative SB Audigy 2 (WDM) Sound cardAnd yes the disable sound box is un-checked

Well EAX was already disabled so i enabled it and funny old thing the sound worked :)but when i reloaded the game sound was gone. I have found that if I disable EAX then Enable it a few times the sound comes on.this will do till i can find a perminent way to get sound back :)thanks for the help Licaon

Just downloaded The Witcher EE via Steam and aside from not being able to start the game - I get the crash due a bug window and back to desktop I go - I cannot find the CD key necessary to register the game. It is not in any of the manuals in PDF format like the registration instructions suggest. Any idea whom I can contact at CD Projekt to get this resolved?Much appreciated,lisior

EE crashes due to EAX, disable it via "Advanced Sound Proprieties" -> "Performance", just move the "Hardware acceleration" slider one step back.

I get a crash as soon as I try to launch the game, don't even have an option to see anything beyond the black screen for a few seconds then the window comes up informing me that "Witcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" and that is all I get to see after downloading this game from Steam twice now...

mattg63 said:
I just picked up a copy at my local Gamestop. They received one copy this morning. And of the four Gamestops near my house only one of them got it.Since I have the original game still installed on my system I figured when I popped the DVD in it would ask me if I wanted to upgrade. It didn't do that. I had to uninstall my game and reinstall the new one. Not a big deal but it doesn't seem like you guys intended people that already own it to buy it again. And it just finished installing so I'm gonna go play now. Hehehehe. ;D
Funny story: The game finished installing and when I try to play it, it crashes. Everytime. The original version worked perfectly for me and I ran it just a few days ago. My drivers are all current and my system specs well exceed the game requirements. So now I have lost all my savegames and the shiny new version is DOA.

Moved to in-game tech.Please read this:http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_tech_help_on_the_forum

Jorje said:
EE crashes due to EAX, disable it via "Advanced Sound Proprieties" -> "Performance", just move the "Hardware acceleration" slider one step back.
How can you adjust sound properties when the game crashes before it even starts. The screen goes black and an error message pops up. For the tech support guys: all my drivers are current and DirectX is the current version. I literally can't do anything in the game because it crashes before anything starts up. Any other suggestions? The original version worked perfectly for me.

I have exactly the same issues here. Get the black screen followed by a message that an unexpected error took place and that's it. Here are the details I gathered from that error window:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: mss32.dllModVer: 7.0.20.0 Offset: 0001438fWould hate to be throwing the money I spent on Steam download out the window. Maybe I should ask someone in Poland to get this for me and ship it to Canada?Cheers!

lisior said:
I have exactly the same issues here. Get the black screen followed by a message that an unexpected error took place and that's it. Here are the details I gathered from that error window:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1282 ModName: mss32.dllModVer: 7.0.20.0 Offset: 0001438fWould hate to be throwing the money I spent on Steam download out the window. Maybe I should ask someone in Poland to get this for me and ship it to Canada?Cheers!
I have the retail version so that won't help, unfortunately. I really hope these guys have a fix for this. Downloading it for (which I could) would not be so bad but I paid another $40 for this.

Its peculiar that even though one of you has the Steam and the other one has the retail version, you get the exact same problem. I've let the tech people know, hopefully there will be some explanations for this soon.

Yeah, thanks in advance. Hopefully you guys that get this resolved before the masses get this in hand tomorrow and Friday. It could get ugly.

In the meantime, please do follow the link I posted and post the requested log, so its easier to find any problem.

You mean the http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_tech_help_on_the_forum link? Will read and post according to the instructions I'll find there. Thanks!

STGhost said:
In the meantime, please do follow the link I posted and post the requested log, so its easier to find any problem.
I downloaded and ran the PCWizard program but the "check the box "With the drivers information" is not an option. It is grayed out and cannot be selected.I just reinstalled DirectX just to make sure I had the latest version. I updated my video drivers a couple weeks ago and they are still the most current as well.My system specs:Windows XP SP2GeForce7800GT in SLi2 gigs RamAthlon 64x2 processor 4400+Here's the text from the error message that pops up:AppName: witcher.exe AppVer: 1.4.5.1280 ModName: mss32.dllModVer: 7.0.20.0 Offset: 0001438f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom