Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
cheezy102 said:
And why does the thread title say "solved" ?!?!
I believe it says 'solved' because for the original poster of the thread, the problem is solved. That does not mean his solution will work for everyone or that everyones problem is the same. It just flags the thread for anyone who may have a similar problem, so they know they can look here and find a possible fix.Please keep in mind, this is NOT an official bug fixing forum. We are all players here just trying to help one another work through or fix a problem.

Wabbit said:
Wabbit said:
And why does the thread title say "solved" ?!?!
I believe it says 'solved' because for the original poster of the thread, the problem is solved. That does not mean his solution will work for everyone or that everyones problem is the same.
Ah but if I start a new "unsolved" thread for the same problem I guarantee its gonna get merged into this one. The temp EAX fix does not work on Vista so this problem is unsolved.

cheezy102 said:
Ah but if I start a new "unsolved" thread for the same problem I guarantee its gonna get merged into this one. The temp EAX fix does not work on Vista so this problem is unsolved.
Not here to argue with you. I restate, this is NOT an official bug fixing forum. We are just players trying to help one another.The title in the thread does not mean it gets ignored by everyone. Every time a post is made it bumps the thread near the top again and someone will look in on it. There have been quite a few posts with more related problems AND posts with helps since the title changed. Please remain calm. :) Someone may still see your post, a moderator probably, and try to help you resolve your problem. Getting upset over something like the title of the thread is not going to endear you to anyone or make them help you any faster.Edit: Also.. You should probably check this page out as well http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_tech_help_on_the_forum and attach the report it talks about so someone can look it over and be able to help you better. :)

Wabbit said:
Wabbit said:
Not here to argue with you. I restate, this is NOT an official bug fixing forum. We are just players trying to help one another.The title in the thread does not mean it gets ignored by everyone. Every time a post is made it bumps the thread near the top again and someone will look in on it. There have been quite a few posts with more related problems AND posts with helps since the title changed. Please remain calm. :) Someone may still see your post, a moderator probably, and try to help you resolve your problem. Getting upset over something like the title of the thread is not going to endear you to anyone or make them help you any faster.
I apologise if I came across as argumentative. It's been a long night trying to get the game working properly ::) I do appreciate the help, even if it hasn't worked lol

im running a SB audigy 2 platinum. same exact issue.im going to try the tweak stated here and i will let u guys know if it worls for me.. damn 3 hours of effin around, i should have been playing WAR tonight... :(

System: Windows Vista Ultimate x86, Creative X-Fi XtremeGamerAfter installing the EE patch the game would not start. I got the following error:"The Witcher has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."I found this thread http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16688.0 but couldn't use the sound hardware acceleration slider fix becuase DirectX 10 does not have this. I opened Creative Alchemy and disabled the game and I can now run it without EAX (not acceptable in my opinion). I have tried the EAX temp fix posted by Wieir in post #64 but it didn't work. Please don't merge this with the other thread as it is marked as solved.I have also included a PCWizard sys info file.

Wabbit said:
After you applied the EAX workaround files, did you remember to turn acceleration back up? The only reason I ask is, I noticed on mine, with acceleration down a notch, the EAX was grayed out.
Well... I am not able to change the acceleration in any way (or I am just too blind to find it but I don't think so). I know about these little problems with the acceleration from Baldurs Gate 2 where I had to switch it to the left - but now with Windows Vista I am not able to change it anymore.But - and I am a but surprised about it... now I am able to set the option if I want to. Before you start to laugh, the Witcher is the first game I play with EAX coded for the supported OS'es (well I played BioShock but they implemented the new OpenAL version directly). So now I have added the game directly to the ALchemy tool and started the Witcher, where I was able to set the option (and if you believe or not, it is a -wow- sounded game, starting with the footsteps, much better). I am just a bit surprised about the order, first enable it in the ALchemy driver... just thought I have to enable it in the game first, then in the ALchemy tool.

This is what worked for me.For Vista x64 Users using X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard 1) Download and install ALchemy 1.20.042) Find ALchemy and right click the program and select Properties3) Under Compatibility select Run as Admin (even if you are the admin please check this box)4) Launch ALchemy (UAC)5) You will see Witcher on a list of games. 6) Move Witcher over to the right7) Find Witcher Launch application and right click the program and select Properties8 ) Under Compatibility select Run as Admin (even if you are the admin please check this box)9) Launch Witcher and Enjoy!Please note that ALchemy and The Witcher must BOTH be run as admin (UAC) for this to work.

This is what worked for me.For Vista x64 Users using X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard1) Download and install ALchemy 1.20.042) Find ALchemy and right click the program and select Properties3) Under Compatibility select Run as Admin (even if you are the admin please check this box)4) Launch ALchemy (UAC)5) You will see Witcher on a list of games. 6) Move Witcher over to the right7) Find Witcher Launch application and right click the program and select Properties8 ) Under Compatibility select Run as Admin (even if you are the admin please check this box)9) Launch Witcher and Enjoy!Please note that ALchemy and The Witcher must BOTH be run as admin (UAC) for this to work.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately now I have a new issue. EAX is now enabled and working but every time someone speaks it stutters at the beginning of the sentance :(

Hawke said:
This is what worked for me.For Vista x64 Users using X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard1) Download and install ALchemy 1.20.042) Find ALchemy and right click the program and select Properties3) Under Compatibility select Run as Admin (even if you are the admin please check this box)4) Launch ALchemy (UAC)5) You will see Witcher on a list of games. 6) Move Witcher over to the right7) Find Witcher Launch application and right click the program and select Properties8 ) Under Compatibility select Run as Admin (even if you are the admin please check this box)9) Launch Witcher and Enjoy!Please note that ALchemy and The Witcher must BOTH be run as admin (UAC) for this to work.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately now I have a new issue. EAX is now enabled and working but every time someone speaks it stutters at the beginning of the sentance :(

lots of wonky issues here... im surely not groovin. i did turn hardware down in DXdiag 1 step and it allowed me to log into the game. only problem is i dont want ot do this every time i play.another interesting thing is after patching the game, i also added the 2 adventure packs and just english translation to the main install, i tried installing the blood patch afterwards and it said it has already been installed? was this added in 1.4 since blood fix was out before 1.4?

While old Witcher always worked for me without any problems after installing enhanced edition it doesn´t work anymore at all. It doesn´t want to start.In the course of downloading, registration of my game and installation enhancing patch 1.4 everything was good without any problems, anyway the game refuse to start now. What happens here?? :( :p :-\

I am in the same boat. Downloaded both the patch and the english language pack and now it wont start. i click to start the witcher and i just get the usual ' The Witcher has encountered a problem and must close ' problem. wont go any further. I might actually cry.. to be so close to playing The Witcher finally and thwarted at the final hurdle.You want to see my cry CD Projekt? is that it? you wanna see me cry!!Cos i will.;)

We have surely the identic problem. I only use the polish version of language. What a pity! I am very disappointed by it! :'(

for Realtek users a solution from user jonnychaos
For those of you with Realtek integrated High Definition audio and having problems with app crashing on launch, try the following:1. Disable 'Realtek High Definition Audio' audio in device manager 2. Launch Witcher; once at Witcher menu quit3. Exit Witcher4. Re-enable 'Realtek High Definition Audio' audio in device manager 5. Launch Witcher again. Game should launch successfully now. 6. At menu, select options and then sound options7. Deselect the disable sound checkbox and accept. You should now have sound.Rinse, lather and repeat each time to play.If above still does not work try using thefollowing driver/dll updates: wdm_r204.exe (recent Realtek HD Audio Driver) available here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3mss32.dll available with miles sound tools available here: http://www.radgametools.com/mssdown.htm

I have the exact same problem under WinXp SP3 and an Audigy 2ZS soundcard with the latest drivers installed.The workaround (by lowering the hardware acceleration in the windows conf panel) works, however, since, the game starts but I don't have anymore the EAX option, (in any game in fact, not just witcher !!).Any chance to have a patch/fix for this ?

I can´t do anything about EAX because my game doesn´t want to start at all as I already wrote. I tried to reinstall my Direct X using the latest version but without any result. But I think it isn´t my fault because at this time I have several games installed on my computer several games that work perfectly, for example Oblivion, Gothic 3, Mass Effect and several another. So, I think there is a serious bug here that made creators. :-\

Win Xp Sp 3 X-fi Extreme Music Weier's files fixed my crash at startup problem.Thank you very much Weier,your help is much appreciated. V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom