Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !!at the notice of the witcher EE i reinstalled the game, registered it, and patched, no problem until here.But when i start the game the game crash ! :(any help ?i have thisinstalled metaboli version of the witcherno patch applied (1.2, 1.3 )registered the gameapplied the EE patchlauch game -game crash.My config:C2D 68503 Gb of RamWin xp Home Sp3 and updated2 x Radeon 4870 512 - catalyst 8.9 - in crossfirecreative X-FI elite pro last driversThank You !Behoram

behoram said:
My config:C2D 68503 Gb of RamWin xp Home Sp3 and updated2 x Radeon 4870 512 - catalyst 8.9 - in crossfirecreative X-FI elite pro last drivers
do try this http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16688.msg394669#msg394669 if the game crashes

Something funny. I tried the fix 'cause I wanted to see if it'd make that high pitched sound during meditation go away (I didn't have crashing issues as I used the .dll another user upped - from COD4 I think). Well guess what, the game now crashes on startup. Good thing I kept a copy of the Miles folder...

LicaonKter said:
TheWitcher1.4EE_EAX_fixBackup your files from "The Witcher\System\Miles\" folder, then overwrite them with these
Code:
File name   Size       ------------  --------------- mssdolby.flt       7,168 mssds3d.flt       11,776 mssdsp.flt       55,296 msseax.flt       58,880 mssmp3.asi       149,504 msssrs.flt       13,824 mssvoice.asi      214,528 total files 7  total size    510,976
from version 1.3 of the game.After this you can get SOUND ACCELERATION back on maximum setting, you can also enable EAX in game.Good luck!10x to all the users posting this before, post if it works for you.
This absolutely worked, thank you so much for the help!

lisior said:
TheWitcher1.4EE_EAX_fixBackup your files from "The Witcher\System\Miles\" folder, then overwrite them with these
Code:
File name   Size       ------------  --------------- mssdolby.flt       7,168 mssds3d.flt       11,776 mssdsp.flt       55,296 msseax.flt       58,880 mssmp3.asi       149,504 msssrs.flt       13,824 mssvoice.asi      214,528 total files 7  total size    510,976
from version 1.3 of the game.After this you can get SOUND ACCELERATION back on maximum setting, you can also enable EAX in game.Good luck!_______________________________Just downloaded The Witcher EE via Steam and aside from not being able to start the game - I get the crash due a bug window and back to desktop I go - I cannot find the CD key necessary to register the game. It is not in any of the manuals in PDF format like the registration instructions suggest. Any idea whom I can contact at CD Projekt to get this resolved?Much appreciated,lisior[MOD]Added a known fix for now.[/MOD]
I just replaced msseax.flt and that seems to have done the trick.

d37r17u5 said:
I just replaced msseax.flt and that seems to have done the trick.
i thought that only some files of the 7 are required, but i did not have time to test it out, I'll test later, this will make the fix better by knowing what file is at fault

LicaonKter said:
i thought that only some files of the 7 are required, but i did not have time to test it out, I'll test later, this will make the fix better by knowing what file is at fault
You are probably correct. However, all of the files together total about a 200k d/l so it isn't worth finding out which one does it, unless you're just curious. :)

I tried to replace those miles files, didn't make any difference at all though, was still unable to enable EAX or prevent any crash. :-\

Johen said:
I tried to replace those miles files, didn't make any difference at all though, was still unable to enable EAX or prevent any crash. :-\
Did you first verify that you have this exact issue? To do so, drop the hardware accelleration down a notch and then try getting the game to load. If it does then you have this problem. If not then it must be something else.If you don't know how to drop the acceleration:For XP: go to your control panel > sounds & audio devices > click Audio tab > click Advanced button under Playback > now move the hardware acceleration one notch back > click apply & try starting The Witcher again.If you do have this problem, I'd recommend trying again using the link in the first post for the source files. Let us know if it works for you.EDIT: Also, if you do have this problem and the fix doesn't work, download the latest drivers from Creative Labs. I had been having a lot of sound issues in other games and the new drivers fixed that. The fix for the Witcher may only work if you have the latest drivers for the sound card.

TheWitcher1.4EE_EAX_fixBackup your files from "The Witcher\System\Miles\" folder, then overwrite them with theseCode:File name Size ------------ --------------- mssdolby.flt 7,168 mssds3d.flt 11,776 mssdsp.flt 55,296 msseax.flt 58,880 mssmp3.asi 149,504 msssrs.flt 13,824 mssvoice.asi 214,528 total files 7 total size 510,976from version 1.3 of the game.After this you can get SOUND ACCELERATION back on maximum setting, you can also enable EAX in game.Good luck!10x to all the users posting this before, post if it works for you.
Auzentech Prelude 7.1 User and after applying this, my EAX was enabled and the scratching noise was gone. I am able to enjoy finishing this game again. Many Thanks! :peace:

I tried this, what Licaon_Kter posted before and it works great for me. I have my EAX and Hardware Acceleration back on mit X-Fi. Sound is good and sounds good but i've noticed a little loss of performance. Thanks Licaon_Kter.

With this fix (replacing files) problem gone after updating to EE a French Witcher on a WinXP SP3 (game was crashing on start quoting mss32.dll).Hardware is a Audigy 4 (crapy crapy Creative drivers btw).

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
I read all 15 pages of this link Licaon_Kter on page 9 put a link to "miles" and wanted us to do a down load. What was the deal with that. He gave no explanation.
it's a solution to the crashing mentioning "mss32.dll" it's in the opening post too
Licao_Kter Thank you for the email. Now about the miles page you put a link to. If installing Miles sound tools are these files the same as the 7 files from V1.3?

GotToTasteIt said:
GotToTasteIt said:
GotToTasteIt said:
I read all 15 pages of this link Licaon_Kter on page 9 put a link to "miles" and wanted us to do a down load. What was the deal with that. He gave no explanation.
it's a solution to the crashing mentioning "mss32.dll" it's in the opening post too
Licao_Kter Thank you for the email. Now about the miles page you put a link to. If installing Miles sound tools are these files the same as the 7 files from V1.3?
the newer Miles Sound Tools have the files that brake the game, so the answer is NO!
GotToTasteIt said:
Something funny. I tried the fix 'cause I wanted to see if it'd make that high pitched sound during meditation go away (I didn't have crashing issues as I used the .dll another user upped - from COD4 I think). Well guess what, the game now crashes on startup. Good thing I kept a copy of the Miles folder...
do try to replace only some files, not all, mainly msseax.flt and msseax.m3d

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my problem, but since this thread is dedicated to EAX I thought I'd try my luck here.My problem is that when I enable EAX (through ALchemy) I get this loud... Well, what should I call it? It sounds like the speakers have exploded, or at least that the base is really loud at specific times. An example is whenever someone starts to talk in the game or when there is some more distinct sound (like when the Atari logo shows when you start the game). I'm playing The Witcher on Windows Vista x64 with EAX enabled through ALchemy and I've copied the ALchemy settings from this thread. I've tried to mess around with the few settings available in ALchemy, and I've even tried to replace the files discussed in the beginning of this thread, all without any luck.Does anyone else experience this problem, and has anyone manged to fix it?

mrbear said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my problem, but since this thread is dedicated to EAX I thought I'd try my luck here.My problem is that when I enable EAX (through ALchemy) I get this loud... Well, what should I call it? It sounds like the speakers have exploded, or at least that the base is really loud at specific times. An example is whenever someone starts to talk in the game or when there is some more distinct sound (like when the Atari logo shows when you start the game). I'm playing The Witcher on Windows Vista x64 with EAX enabled through ALchemy and I've copied the ALchemy settings from this thread. I've tried to mess around with the few settings available in ALchemy, and I've even tried to replace the files discussed in the beginning of this thread, all without any luck.Does anyone else experience this problem, and has anyone manged to fix it?
get the Buffers to 5

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
get the Buffers to 5
Hehe, I increased the buffer but I didn't even think of decreasing it. How silly is that? Anyways, it worked and thanks a lot for reminder.

Thanks again Licaon_Kter[/QUOTE]the newer Miles Sound Tools have the files that brake the game, so the answer is NO![/QUOTE]I believe I read somewhere that the game ONLY supports EAX4 and if my sound card does not meet that spec I need to use the next setting lower in the game options. Is this true? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom