Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
However, I'm sorry to say, this did not last long. After a short while, I now have 2 more issues:1) No sound at all, everything under options/sound is greyed out and I can't check/uncheck anything (disable sound is checked).
run regedit and search for the cdprojekt red key -> Settings ->set Disable Sound to "0" (if that's the key ) if it's Enable Sound then make it "1"
I did not find "cdprojekt red" but I did find the following:HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> CD Projekt RED --> Witcher --> SettingsThat contained DisableSound 1.I changed it to 0. After starting The Witcher, it changes back to DisableSound 1. If I do not start The Witcher, it stays DisableSound 0 until the next time I start The Witcher.

the engine sets that key dynamically each start. changing it there won't have any effect. did you try lowering sound hardware accceleration in dxdiag.exe ? or turning it off completely ? you will loose possible EAX effects but at least you will have surround sound....

I solved it. Some services from my card (ALchemy licensing service, Creative Licensing service, and CTAud) were not starting. I uninstalled the services, then installed them again, made sure they were on "Automatic" and started on boot, and now I get sound in The Witcher. The only problem now is, there isn't any surround sound at all.

the game should pick up your speaker configuration from windows, did you setup sound in windows-audio to 5.1 and did you set your soundcard to gamemode or EAX if it has any of those options ? additionaly can you start the alchemy setup and see if the wichter has been detected ? if not add it and enable it by moving it to the right side of the alchemy panel. nothing else comes to my mind with missing surround....

dfn said:
It wasn't their solution exactly, but some of the things they suggested led me to it. They recommended various things:
re-installing ALchemy from CD, re-downloading latest drivers, trying the card in a new system.
What I did:
Insert CD, go to "install" but instead "repair" ALchemy.

However, I'm sorry to say, this did not last long. After a short while, I now have 2 more issues:
1) No sound at all, everything under options/sound is greyed out and I can't check/uncheck anything (disable sound is checked).
2) ALchemy won't start at all. If I double click it, nothing happens. Checked the task manager, it doesn't even appear briefly.

If anyone knows the solution to 1), I'd love to hear it. I didn't do anything to my settings other than repair ALchemy, and the problem didn't start right after that anyway.

EAX (Environmental Audio eXtension) Is a Sound Process API for Direct X Direct Sound etc. So it is like Direct X 7, DX 5.1, OpenGL etc. Creative put specific hardware on the SB LIve, Audigy and X-Fi cards to take advantage this to be able to process more channels at once.

THE DOWN SIDE... If Audio Engineers and Game Desigers dont support the API then its useless (Just like DirectX now with pixel shading and VGA cards with Pixel Pipelines and 64bit CPU without 64 bit programs). No game in Windows 7 can use EAX without the installation of Alchemy, even if the game reports it can use it, EAX cannot work without it. So yes; in short - install Alchemy for every game you intend to use EAX with.

The reason behind this is the exclusion of DirectSound and DirectSound3D from Windows 7. Alchemy is needed to "emulate" the DirectSound through OpenAL to achieve a similar result.

(Rank upon rank of exhausted paladins trudged down the left-hand side of the road, every face a unique shade of fatigue. Their armor was rent, soiled, reeking of death and undeath. But the horde was turned.

It did not stop the next army of undead from rising. Necromancy flowed with the wind in these lands.

On the right-hand side of the road, fresh ranks of paladins marched at the quick-step in the opposite direction, armor polished to a mirror sheen, swords and speartips alight with holy radiance. There was determination in their eyes and energy in their step. One of the shiny gits actually stepped out of line long enough to click his heels, the twinkling spurs ringing melodically.)

Alright, keep up the pace. 6-year necro to deal with here! March!

As we see, yet again, @SigilFey deploys his full forces in the endless fight against necromancy. One must admire this dedication to the showmanship of pageantry -- even if it's simpler, though far less spectacular, merely to flip the lids closed on the crypts when they pop open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom