Sound Systems adjustments (Dolby + DTS 5.1)

+
Hi Folks!

I have a home theater system for games. I don't use any headphones because the gaming environment is fantastic.

The game works well in Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but the sound system, perhaps in the dubbing may have failed, it loses a lot of quality in the conversations. The V's voice is transmitted through the central box perfectly. But not close people. And worse. People nearby lose their sound volume, making it possible to hear well only when the V turns the ear to the person who is speaking. Looking like a deaf old man. Ideally, any sound from anyone's voice will come out of the central boxes.

The ambience has a very good balance, but the voice is relatively low since we no longer hear the conversations.

Receiver Marantz
Center Pioneer
Stereo JBL
Surround Pioneer
Subwoofer Pioneer

I also run a 5.1 sound system. I am not having this issue on my system. All voices are heard quite nicely. I would wonder if this might be an EQ problem on your audio system. Have you checked the cross over points on your amp? I am only asking because I am running a 7.1 system in my living room and I had to set all the cross over points on the EQ because I was having minor problems with voice on my front speakers when watching a movie. I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver.

My only issue is that the rear surround channels seem to be reversed (PC). I am using an optical feed so this isn't a hard wire connection. I am using a Logitech Z906 system and really enjoy it. I did try other games and the rear channel speakers had the correct audio, that is, right and left. Further, using the Windows 10 and Realtec audio tests, the rear channels had correct right and left rear channel audio.

Out of curiosity (and I must have been really bored.), I did a temp hard wire up to my amp/sub-woofer to see if something was wrong with my optical connection. Once I had the wires connected (what a mess), I disconnected the optical and made the changes in my setup menu in both windows and Realtec so they matched. I went into game and had the same issue, surround audio seems to be reversed. Has anyone else noticed this?

I am now back on my optical connection. This is a minor issue, I have learned that if I hear a sound coming from the left side behind me, I look to the right instead. Front speakers are fine, just the surround audio seems to be having a problem. I hope I'm not the only one...

Just throwing this out there...

I also run a 5.1 sound system. I am not having this issue on my system. All voices are heard quite nicely. I would wonder if this might be an EQ problem on your audio system. Have you checked the cross over points on your amp? I am only asking because I am running a 7.1 system in my living room and I had to set all the cross over points on the EQ because I was having minor problems with voice on my front speakers when watching a movie. I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver.

My only issue is that the rear surround channels seem to be reversed (PC). I am using an optical feed so this isn't a hard wire connection. I am using a Logitech Z906 system and really enjoy it. I did try other games and the rear channel speakers had the correct audio, that is, right and left. Further, using the Windows 10 and Realtec audio tests, the rear channels had correct right and left rear channel audio.

Out of curiosity (and I must have been really bored.), I did a temp hard wire up to my amp/sub-woofer to see if something was wrong with my optical connection. Once I had the wires connected (what a mess), I disconnected the optical and made the changes in my setup menu in both windows and Realtec so they matched. I went into game and had the same issue, surround audio seems to be reversed. Has anyone else noticed this?

I am now back on my optical connection. This is a minor issue, I have learned that if I hear a sound coming from the left side behind me, I look to the right instead. Front speakers are fine, just the surround audio seems to be having a problem. I hope I'm not the only one...

Just throwing this out there...

I use Playstation 4 Pro. It has connectivity to the Receiver via HDMI with DTS or Dolby output. But of course, we must adjust according to the game. In the case of Cyberpunk it is Dolby and the Receiver is in "AUTO" mode, that is, it automatically detects the signal emitted by the Playstation or the game. It is as neutral as possible to avoid any external faotr. Another point that I identified is that in Cyberpunk you don't use surround much. So I recalibrated all my settings.

I solved the problem by playing in Mult-CH Stereo. All sounds come out in all boxes simultaneously. But we lost immersion in this case.

In other games like Death Stranding, Red Dead, Fallout 4, etc ... I didn't have this problem. My V is deaf. I need to tilt my ear to hear.

I use Playstation 4 Pro. It has connectivity to the Receiver via HDMI with DTS or Dolby output. But of course, we must adjust according to the game. In the case of Cyberpunk it is Dolby and the Receiver is in "AUTO" mode, that is, it automatically detects the signal emitted by the Playstation or the game. It is as neutral as possible to avoid any external faotr. Another point that I identified is that in Cyberpunk you don't use surround much. So I recalibrated all my settings.

I solved the problem by playing in Mult-CH Stereo. All sounds come out in all boxes simultaneously. But we lost immersion in this case.

In other games like Death Stranding, Red Dead, Fallout 4, etc ... I didn't have this problem. My V is deaf. I need to tilt my ear to hear.

Very interesting. Yeah, you didn't mention the PS4 in your post, I had assumed a PC. I should know at my age never to 'assume' anything, but there you go. Still interesting however. In my case, the surround audio is quite active, and I have caught many coming up behind me in game. If you get this figured out, I hope you will post and let us know what you found. Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom