Space Travel

+
I think you should travel through a large space by walking/running and through a small space by crawling. Unfortunately night city is very crowded so there is not a lot of space. Also I'm pretty sure you can add reminders to your marquee to keep you from spacing. I think using a rocket to travel through space is a bit overboard, I just want a car or AV. #redgerespectstrolls:)

Mars.... just no... no no no... the travel time back and forth drops it out of thee running completely, as it would break the suspension of disbelief too hard... by the time you got there, if you came back to night city, everything would be different... we are talking years here.
But wouldn't that be great to see how you decisions might have affected the people and city so far?

But wouldn't that be great to see how you decisions might have affected the people and city so far?

Other games have handled this sort of concept quite well with the classic "2 Years Later" loading screen. A trip to Matrian Mining Colonies would not be necessary at all. Prison would be a much more likely usage of the time.

Travel to Mars doesn't take 2 years, it only takes 8 months and that's with our current technology.. Does the sourcebook even say what kind of space technology do they have in Cyberpunk? It has to be better than ours since they already colonized both Mars and Moon.. They built a number of spacestations and they even have one near Saturn.. (or was it Jupiter?)

In 2006, it took spacecraft "New Horizons" only 13 months to reach Jupiter. And as you all know, it is much further away from Earth than Mars.. And even now, they are working on new engines that can reach Mars in 39 days.. (There is even a prototype they are testing, look it up..)

(Also, it is more possible than Gauss rifle anyhow..)

I thing that implementing space in the game is counterproductive. Let it stick to Eart, one well designed and presented area. Night City. Maybe a few additional smaller lacales. LA, D.C. But space? Why would cyberpunk want to go there? The space itself is a big paty of CP universe. Moon colonies, mars colonies, orbital habitats and bases. Orbital wars. All that should be blended as a decoration, news flashes, infos. Some remiders of Euron rocking USA in the first Orbital War or US little payback during IV Corp War when USAF cleared the sky of most non-us aligned instalations. Maybe some NPCs can have space background byt letting the PC go there would just change the whole theme. From cyberpunk to Space Adventures of Grim Cyberpsycho.

You're too optimistic regarding real life scenarios OP.

Human race won't set foot on Mars not even in 2100.

We will be happy if we make Moon base by then.

You're too optimistic regarding real life scenarios OP.

Human race won't set foot on Mars not even in 2100.

We will be happy if we make Moon base by then.

You do understand that cyberpunk is a fictional setting and in 2020 they already did? (If i remember it correctly, eventually they even had a colony there)..

Also, you do realize it is actually harder to colonize the Moon (Luna) than to colonize the Mars? Luna having very low gravity, no atmosphere to speak of, no protection from the sun and all that.. (Even Mars has some level of protection from the sun..) Also, i'm sure they have said about the same thing before the moon landing happened.. Distance doesn't make the difference i'm afraid.. So check your facts before saying silly things like that.. :p

Mm. Somethings about 2020 were pretty far fetched: full conversions, laser weapons, powered armour - at least of the sophistication you see in ACPA. The Net and AIs.

Others, not so much. Much of our space frontier is down to commitment of resources. http://io9.com/5902205/how-to-build-a-dyson-sphere-in-five-relatively-easy-steps talks about the feasibility of building a Dyson Sphere around the sun, doable within 25 to 50 years. Possibly.

This is not a gimmie - it's arguable and is argued a fair bit. The point, though, is that if we seriously committed to space exploration as we once did to oceanic exploration, devoting vast resources to it, ( see: Iraq war costs), we would advance much more quickly, aided by the greatly sophisticated technology we have now.

The choice to accept greater risk of death and failure would also speed things along a lot.

Now, who would have both vast resources, the leverage with governments to extract even more resources and a ruthless approach to development? Multinational corporations! Also a united Europe, backed by said corps.

And that's the setting of Cyberpunk 2020.

You do understand that cyberpunk is a fictional setting and in 2020 they already did? (If i remember it correctly, eventually they even had a colony there)..

Also, you do realize it is actually harder to colonize the Moon (Luna) than to colonize the Mars? Luna having very low gravity, no atmosphere to speak of, no protection from the sun and all that.. (Even Mars has some level of protection from the sun..) Also, i'm sure they have said about the same thing before the moon landing happened.. Distance doesn't make the difference i'm afraid.. So check your facts before saying silly things like that.. :p

I was talking about real life not referring to Cyberpunk 2077.

Human race in 2013. didn't even start exploring their Solar system.

We as a human race we will be happy if we send human being; man/woman to Mars around 2070.

We as a human race we will be happy if we send human being; man/woman to Mars around 2070.

Well, the "Mars One" mission slated for 2025 is a one way manned trip. Let's take this part of th discussion up again when that either succeeds or cancels.

So... I was talking about Cyberpunk 2020, yet while calling me too optimistic, you were talking about real life, and it all makes sense to you..

And nope, we did explore our solar system.. We have sent many spacecrafts out there and it is the second best thing next to exploring in person.. Much of the knowledge we have now is coming from those little explorations.. Limited as they may be, they helped us a great deal.. Also if they can make that ion engine happen in the coming years, we may even finally send people to Mars.. Because like Sard said, it is not a matter of if it is possible or not, it is a matter of resources..

So... I was talking about Cyberpunk 2020, yet while calling me too optimistic, you were talking about real life, and it all makes sense to you..

And nope, we did explore our solar system.. We have sent many spacecrafts out there and it is the second best thing next to exploring in person.. Much of the knowledge we have now is coming from those little explorations.. Limited as they may be, they helped us a great deal.. Also if they can make that ion engine happen in the coming years, we may even finally send people to Mars.. Because like Sard said, it is not a matter of if it is possible or not, it is a matter of resources..

I'm perfectly aware of all the space probes & rovers we have sent to other planets & deep space, but that is too little & it takes too much time.

I don't know what you mean with expression 'In the coming years' because in the coming years, & by that I mean sometime between 2040 - 2060 I expect first man/woman to set foot on Mars & successfully return back to Earth.

Then I expect regular two way trips on 2 year basis, maybe even sending 2 or more spaceships.

Maybe around 2100. first human settlement on planet Mars.

But regarding that one way mission to Mars, 'Mars One' & current ongoing selection of possible candidates from all over the world, it looks at least to me too 'futuristic utopian' & already promising results that are hardly achievable.

I will be happy if that group comes to Mars & land alive in one piece, but we shall talk about it around 2025 - 2027. more ! :)

At the end it all comes to resources - they won't be a problem only then when we as a human race unite on whole planet, without countries, without nations, without borders etc ...

Just keep the star wars/star trek out of my cyberpunk.... thats all I ask...

2001, maybe some Outland... thats as far as it should go...

Just keep the star wars/star trek out of my cyberpunk.... thats all I ask...

2001, maybe some Outland... thats as far as it should go...

I completely agree.. If it involves anything other than out little solar system, it is no longer cyberpunk, it is sci-fi with little cyberpunk thrown around... Personally all i want is to be able to visit Crystal Palace Station.. (And maybe a nearby colony if it is still up and running) But only if it is not going to stand in the way of the main story which should take place in Night City alone.. As i stated before, i would much rather have a wasteland and combat zone rather than anything space related.. Night City and nearby areas such as wasteland and combat zone should be the number one priority, anything else should be done if they have time for it..

its all about money

I'm curious - what characteristics of 2001 could - correctly adopted and implemented - make sense in a non-earth but not-too-far cyberpunk setting and how? Any ideas?

Of course everyone is welcome to speak their minds

Space travel is 2001 was depicted pretty realistically, particularly pertaining to gravity, plus, it showed space travel for what it really is... slow, nauseatingly boring, and deadly. It's exciting if you are a scxientist, but for anyone else that shit is boredom incarnate, and the moment it's not, you are pretty much dead.

Top Bottom