Spanish???

+
Yeah i dont understand why the game have languages like portugese and one of the most languages spoken in the world like spanish dont be translated in gwent

I think they have a problem with the spanish ¿? I don't know why. And yes, Brasil isn't only South America, there're a lot of Spanish-speaking players in Latam...

Fun fact: The books of the Witcher are in spanish already, and the last of them in english still not.

This same thing was subject of discussion when the witcher 3 came out.

Is not about inhabitants, population or what ever you wanna call it.

Its about sales projections by language. They don't do voice overs in a given language when they don't believe the sales in that language will cover the costs.

Don't get me wrong, but casually, these languages (portugese, german, french,,,,) are the same as the nationalities of some main members of CDPR. Chance? Opportunities? More facility for contacting translators better implied in the games? ....

This same thing was subject of discussion when the witcher 3 came out.

Is not about inhabitants, population or what ever you wanna call it.

Its about sales projections by language. They don't do voice overs in a given language when they don't believe the sales in that language will cover the costs.

If is that the reason i think is very a stupid move for the CD PROJEKT team choosing translate the game in portuguese when only is used in brazil, portugal and then in waaaaay more less people around the world instead of spanish wich is used in the entire south america, spain, a lot of people around the world and like 1/3 in eeuu.

I understand maybe the witcher 3 to translate to spanish maybe be a complex task, but gwent? I saw the game in the stress test and the streaming of yesterday and i dont think the game have a lot of text and speech to dont translate to spanish.

@anthar3s

I think you didn't understand what I meant.

Quantity of people doesn't equals quantity of sales.

For example, I live in Argentina, an Spanish speaking country.

The target market for TW3 is adults with a current generation console or a gaming pc. Here, most of the gamers had stayed in the previous console generation or have 3+ years PC. Many people within this group only play Sports games (FIFA/PES), Shooters and MMOs.

This is a 40M inhabitants country and I don't think CDPR would have sold 5K units at full price here even they had put Spanish voice over.

---------- Updated at 02:13 PM ----------

Don't get me wrong, but casually, these languages (portugese, german, french,,,,) are the same as the nationalities of some main members of CDPR. Chance? Opportunities? More facility for contacting translators better implied in the games? ....

Logistics may be a factor. And yes, some insiders could have made lobby for theirs language. But at the end of the day this is a multi-million dollars business and voice acting for a game of this size couldn't be cheap. I still think the main reason to leave a language out is costs.

Last edited:
Logistics may be a factor. And yes, some insiders could have made lobby for theirs language. But at the end of the day this is a multi-million dollars business and voice acting for a game of this size couldn't be cheap. I still think the main reason to leave a language out is costs.

May I desagree? Spanish market is not the more expensive about laboural prices if you compare it with the other European translations. I'd bet it's a matter of which spanish they chose: Spanish from Spain or American countries?

On the other side, as it's been said before, if we only talk about Gwent, then, I cannot see the problem with writen Spanish.

So, no, I don't thing it be a question of costs, but a bad market study (hypothetical claims from gamers against an accento too Spanish or too Mexican or too Argentine, i.e.) the accent of actors 'cause CDPR couldn't risk by being a "minor" company to fail in such important portion of international market..) Yes, you and me can don't care about that, but... you know...

May I desagree? Spanish market is not the more expensive about laboural prices if you compare it with the other European translations. I'd bet it's a matter of which spanish they chose: Spanish from Spain or American countries?

On the other side, as it's been said before, if we only talk about Gwent, then, I cannot see the problem with writen Spanish.

So, no, I don't thing it be a question of costs, but a bad market study (hypothetical claims from gamers against an accento too Spanish or too Mexican or too Argentine, i.e.) the accent of actors 'cause CDPR couldn't risk by being a "minor" company to fail in such important portion of international market..) Yes, you and me can don't care about that, but... you know...

You are welcome to disagree. Please don't let my bad habit of expressing my opinions in absolute terms discourage you.

I hadn't thought about the accent issue. I guess just assumed Spanish accent for a story in the XIII century. I acknowledge people could be unhappy about Geralt not having its favorite accent.

Regarding laboural prices, I think that cuts both ways. Voice actor, sound technicians, etc have lower salaries, just as the potential buyers.

I'm convinced there will be a written translation to Spanish. That shouldn't be expensive. To translate the voice acted 10 hours single player campaigns Gwent will have on release could be expensive.

Top Bottom