Spate of Unitless Decks

+
I've run into a spate of unitless decks in the past 24 hours. Anyone got any pointers for Scoia'Tael in dealing with them? Looks like the best counter is an Eldain deck? Renew for Dragon also comes to mind....

DRK3

Forum veteran
You're SC, but what faction are those unitless decks? Im guessing Monsters and Scoiatael.

I havent faced a SC one recently, but i faced one Big Monsters with just Old Speartip, and im guessing Woodland into Ozzrel into Speartip as last play, if i'd let him.

Well, SC has the best card for the job - pitfall trap. It will trigger only when he plays a unit, and if he really only has 1 unit as finisher, he'll either lose or tie (0-0pts), because usually they only carry tons of spells for damaging and removal units, not artefacts.

Guest 4344268

Curse of Corruption and/or potentially Xavier to banish his renew targets. (There are cheaper options for graveyard hate but Xavier is neutral.) You could also consider bomb heaver to destroy his summoning circle. Don't overdo it though because Xavier and bomb heaver are not particularly good cards in most matchups. Also, you need to win round 1 and have last say in all of these matches, so play out everything in your hand if you need to and potentially push R2 if you win R1 on even.

Unfortunately these garbage decks are now part of the game (at least until CDPR steps up). Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Curse of Corruption and/or potentially Xavier to banish his renew targets. (There are cheaper options for graveyard hate but Xavier is neutral.) You could also consider bomb heaver to destroy his summoning circle. Don't overdo it though because Xavier and bomb heaver are not particularly good cards in most matchups. Also, you need to win round 1 and have last say in all of these matches, so play out everything in your hand if you need to and potentially push R2 if you win R1 on even.

Unfortunately these garbage decks are now part of the game (at least until CDPR steps up). Good luck!

If his opponent is using Monsters, most likely his last card will be Ozzrel, which can also eat up from your own GY, so that's not as efective. And the good thing about my suggestion - Pitfall trap - is that you DONT need to win R1 - if he can only put one unit on R3, that unit will die nonetheless (assuming he doesnt have artefact removal)

Guest 4344268

From what I've seen, no-unit monsters runs immune werewolves, not spear tip or ozzy, and they generally have artifact removal as well. Woodland almost always uses his ability on immune wolf if he doesn't have last say.

The options I mentioned are also all neutrals so they're more versatile no-unit counters. Pitfall could work as well though if you can't win round 1, though a "good" no-unit player might play around it...

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have effective counters to unitless monsters. Normally you could run something like Epidemic, Scortch and other "destroy" special cards but id they manage to summon intermediary units to take away your ability to kill the real threat, it's mostly just game over.

The only exception is if you're running a "unitless" SC deck, at which point you should have more quality "destroy" removal cards than unitless monsters have beatsticks.

Then it becomes a coin flip.

I'd rather vs unitless monster than self wound Skellige though. At least you have a relative chance vs old speartip+werewolves whereas self wound just vomits out so many combos that unless they brick, you're not going to win.

I feel like CDPR needs to emergency patch self wound skellige and unitless monster, they're downright oppressive, unfun and stagnate the meta as bad as pre HC monster consume or Crach DD Lippy turbo was.

Top Bottom