Specular, Ambient and Normal Maps in TW3 - The Beginner's Guide.

+

Guest 3841499

willief23;n9750571 said:
HalkHoganPL Since you make alot of textures i have a question for you. Does this workaround still work for fixing corrupted normal maps? I tried to do as the first page said by increasing the output level values on low and decreasing the high values. Tried it two different times and my texture on the cat armor is around 80% transparent. if i take the normal map out my armor is just fine. The other hex editing method for normal maps seems to complicated for me.

I thought incorrect cooking and/or using ModKit 1.3 Texture-Group-Export feature is what made normal maps corrupt in COMPILATION. I don't see how the author could make normal maps with 1000's of dots in them... (which made them corrupt).

Last edited by a moderator:
MonarchX normal maps have bumps in them to increase detail of the items. Not sure if thats what you call dots. You cant see the corruption on the normal maps its the modkit tools that make the normal maps corrupted. It was a known bug for a long time and not sure if it got fixed with modkit tools v1.3.

Guest 3841499

Can Witcher 3 use any type of parallax mapping (occlusion or simple)? It would be SO helpful to have such textures to reduce the flat look of many textures without having to create new meshes and upping polygon count.

Guest 3841499

willief23;n9796261 said:
MonarchX normal maps have bumps in them to increase detail of the items. Not sure if thats what you call dots. You cant see the corruption on the normal maps its the modkit tools that make the normal maps corrupted. It was a known bug for a long time and not sure if it got fixed with modkit tools v1.3.

Yeah, which is why I always uncook everything I cook and re-check, but I have not had any of my "sharpened" normal maps corrupted. It could texture group export feature that is still not working and causes corruption - no idea, but normal/regular cooking doesn't seem to have that effect.

MonarchX;n9850571 said:
Can Witcher 3 use any type of parallax mapping (occlusion or simple)? It would be SO helpful to have such textures to reduce the flat look of many textures without having to create new meshes and upping polygon count.
Would an example of that be its use on stone walls in Oblivion and Skyrim?

Guest 3841499

Sort of, kind of, depends on the mod! Skyrim modded textures supersede Witcher 3 textures by a mile!

Guest 3841499

I keep having normal map corruption during import of some textures and I have no idea why. I selected correct texture type (tried incorrect ones too) in W3Oven, and it pretty much "flattened the texture". You would think my normal map was just bad, but it was not mine, it was perfectly fine vanilla normal map re-imported.

Could wcc-lite patching for speed be the cause?

Guest 3841499

What is the purpose of making blue channel 100% black in/for a normal map? How does that affect the visuals? What exactly do Tint Mask maps do? Research indicates they are mostly black & white, but TW3 tink masks seem rather unique...

Where do you find those maps please? I only have diffuse and normal maps. I want to make landscape materials and it look like the landscape textures are in the texture arrays of the "level" folder, but again, I can't find anything else than diffuse+normal map.

Guest 3841499

If normal map strength affects "3D popping effect" of a texture, then why are there:
- ambient maps
- height maps
- displacement maps
???

They seem to be doing the same thing...

Hi,

very late for the party, I know.

I'm trying to figure out how to make leather look a bit more shiny. My guess would be to adjust the alpha channel of the normal map, reducing the value (darker) to get a smaller roughness and thus more focused shine.
But in game, the results look very odd. Parts of the texture are shiny, others are not shiny at all. Like I only get the options of having it shiny or not shiny. There is no inbetween. Also, the reflections look odd, so I'm not sure if the normal map is still ok.

I used photoshop to edit the alpha channel, after exporting (32bit tga), and checking in Visual Studio, it also recognizes all channels and RGB (normal map + AO?) look fine & unaltered.

I use ModTools 1.3 and it's wcc_lite. And I use ModKitchen as a front end for all the baking and such.

Top Bottom