[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I like them all, and I feel that they match with the genre.
Let's be real: Cyberpunk histories don't have a happy ending. Never. The people are not heroes and they aren't going to save the world in any way: they are the expendables who survive in a system that chew them up and then spit them.
I played/read a lot of shadowrun (P&P) and is always the same: you survive something and lost something in the process.
That's why i love this endings, the're exactly the kind of thing that i was expecting, and boy, o boy, they delivered.
So Kudos for them. In that aspect, 10/10.

Guest 4412420

Actually I wasn't surprised at all. Nothing comes for free, especially in Cyberpunk. You always have to pay a price. The price in the Sun ending is the alienation from close people; the gain is to be a legend and to be named alongside other legends, Johnny, Morgan Blackhand, maybe Rogue.

In the Star ending you'll have that one meter, left one of the three, to be at 100% and stating that you are a legend as well, named alongside Johnny and Blackhand. But I guess your reputation will fade over time. Your price to pay is to be forgotten someday, your gain is a family and, dependant on choices, a loving partner.
Don't you think that a price to pay should be equal then? Beause now the Sun ending is far more punishing than the Star. My V didn't want to become a legend but the game decides that he did, one of the biggest reasons why my V wants to stay in NC is because there are people worth staying for but the game decides that they're not important enough anymore, I guess.

Why I got punished for picking an option that keeps others from harm by having my V act like a distant prick who can't be bothered to talk to his friends? I'm fine with there being a price to pay, but we should have been made aware of what that price is going to be. And in this case my V is paying the price for something he doesn't even want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I wasn't surprised at all. Nothing comes for free, especially in Cyberpunk. You always have to pay a price. The price in the Sun ending is the alienation from close people (and, maybe, giving up hope for a cure); the gain is to be a legend and to be named alongside other legends, Johnny, Morgan Blackhand, maybe Rogue(, and maybe leave the world with a big bang and a nice view from the very top, down to the world).

Tarot cards from that ending predict something like that:
Emperor: "[...]But prestige has its dark sides – the Emperor is dominating and ruthless and will climb over a mountain of bodies to achieve his aim."
World: "[...]Wiser and more world-weary than he started out[...]. One thing in this World is certain – you can't have it all."

In the Star ending you'll have that one meter, left one of the three, to be at 100% and stating that you are a legend as well, named alongside Johnny and Blackhand. But I guess your reputation will fade over time. Your price to pay is to be forgotten someday, your gain is a family and, dependant on choices, a loving partner.

So I'd say both endings are happy and sad at the same time, depends on your expectations which one suits you better.

'Cause we lost everythiiiiiing...

We had to paayy the priiiiceee...

Lol good post I just couldn't help myself xD.
Post automatically merged:

Don't you think that a price to pay should be equal then? Cause now The Sun ending is far more punishing than The Star. My V didn't want to become a legend but the game decides that he did, one of the biggest reasons why my V wants to stay in NC is because he has friends/LI who are worth staying for but the game decides that they're not important enough anymore, I guess.

Why I got punished for picking an option that keeps others from harm by having my V act like a distant prick who can't be bothered to talk to his friends? I'm fine with there being a price to pay, but we should have been made aware of what that price is going to be. And in this case my V is paying the price for something he doesn't even want.

I think it's a simple case of the world not revolving around V and V's friends having their own agenda, plans, choices that don't revolve around V.

Kind of like Commander Shepard can't just simply take Ashley and retire to become a farmer on Eden Prime because reasons.

well, in most endings (besides the non ending), the blurb seems to say V's already a legend. or at least that's what it said in the menu just before the epilogue on my play throughs. i haven't checked the other endings myself, as i haven't made a character that didn't pick the nomad ending. why, one... none of my characters trusted saka an inch (especially my corpo assassin) so that ending is out, two... my characters wanted to playthings out personally, didn't feel right for them to hand the reigns over to someone else to get them out of their own predicament. so all the johnny takes the wheels endings are out. so that leaves only nomads, not that i'm complaining, don't think they'd have liked the others. am i being railroaded to pick that one ending?

I like them all, and I feel that they match with the genre.
Let's be real: Cyberpunk histories don't have a happy ending. Never. The people are not heroes and they aren't going to save the world in any way: they are the expendables who survive in a system that chew them up and then spit them.
I played/read a lot of shadowrun (P&P) and is always the same: you survive something and lost something in the process.
That's why i love this endings, the're exactly the kind of thing that i was expecting, and boy, o boy, they delivered.
So Kudos for them. In that aspect, 10/10.

and so the war begins a new, and once again the cycle continues... is there even an end to this? i don't even think we got 5 pages from the last post like this.

Last edited:
[...] my character's wanted to playthings out personally, didn't feel right for them to hand the reigns over to someone else to get them out of their own predicament. so all the johnny takes the wheels endings are out. so that leaves only nomads, not that i'm complaining, don't think they'd have liked the others. am i being railroaded to pick that one ending?

This is the type of character that I'm playing at the moment, and I'm going with the Solo ending with Johnny, because well they're not inseparable due to circumstance, feels bad that everyone dumps them afterwards but V is determined to end these shenanigans to have a chance at life after all is said and done.

So far it seems to work, I've decided for V not to be hostile to Johnny since they're both stuck in the same predicament and bickering doesn't solve anything.

It's an antithesis of my ''no-fucks given'' cold blooded Corpo V.

Don't you think that a price to pay should be equal then? Cause now The Sun ending is far more punishing than The Star. My V didn't want to become a legend but the game decides that he did, one of the biggest reasons why my V wants to stay in NC is because he has friends/LI who are worth staying for but the game decides that they're not important enough anymore, I guess.

I prefer the Star ending and I could complain that all the Eddies I've honestly earned, all the cars and bikes, my cat, my iconic stuff in my appartement, seems to be absolutely gone. Good friends like Misty, Vik, Kerry, River, Mama Welles, (Judy) are miles away. Can't have it all.

Guest 4412420

I think it's a simple case of the world not revolving around V and V's friends having their own agenda, plans, choices that don't revolve around V.

Kind of like Commander Shepard can't just simply take Ashley and retire to become a farmer on Eden Prime because reasons.
And your point would apply if they were the ones not making time for V but it's the other way around. They all leave voicemails at the end saying they haven't heard from V in a while, which means they want to keep in touch. I don't see how this implies in any way that V is or should be the center of everything.

To use your Commander Shepard example: it would be like Shepard not bothering to talk to their squadmates when Kelly/Traynor says they'd like to talk to them because Shepard is too busy probing planets.

I would like the Sun ending (disclaimer: haven't played the secret version), if I could just use my imagination to assume that V survives the Crystal Palace gig, but the messages during the credits make it clear that V is missing or hasn't been seen for a while. All because I chose to let Johnny and Rogue storm Arasaka again...why does that mean my V is suicidal and chooses to go out in a "blaze of glory"???

I begin the game wanting to live, I am given the task to save myself at the beginning of Act 2, and I would like the *option* to achieve that. It's not even about a happy ending...I would be cool with a Arasaka ending, for instance, where I live but am alienated from all my friends and sell out Johnny and Alt. I just don't want to be told that I have to accept that the Star ending is the "right" one, when it doesn't feel satisfying or an achievement to sacrifice some Nomads I didn't want to get involved in my business in the first place.

In defense of The Sun, to those who say "well, my V is optimistic, you can't take that from me!"

Maybe in head canon, but all demonstrated Vs who don't make their peace and hand the body to Johnny are pretty damn terrified/angry about the idea of dying, and has behavior that is at times downright abrasive, depressed, or self-pitying as a response when it comes down to the quiet nighttime of the soul and the guns aren't out. Doesn't matter if that's the very first time V is on Vik's table post-heist or in the final convo with Johnny sitting on a well, V does not handle looming death in a cheery and optimistic fashion.

But damned if he isn't determined to live.

So when we say that having lived the good life for months, during which V has been slowly dying, it'd be pretty consistent with both the character and the theme to imagine his relationships might have taken a beating. Especially if he needed time to actually set up the orbital job.

A job where she is taking a likely one way trip at the behest of a rogue AI - which worked out so well for her last time - and is at the real end of her clock, but steps into space absolutely determined to live even if it means taking on the impossible (like, say, storming Arasaka tower)...

Gotta say, that's pretty consistent with everything we're shown on screen about V.

I dont really understand this take "In Cyberpunk world nothing is for free. Is expected in Cyberpunk story to not be all nice and dandy".
I think that for V saving himself would be very fair: they work hard and reach mikoshi, he lost people around him/her and help others.
Post automatically merged:

well, in most endings (besides the non ending), the blurb seems to say V's already a legend. or at least that's what it said in the menu just before the epilogue on my play throughs. i haven't checked the other endings myself, as i haven't made a character that didn't pick the nomad ending. why, one... none of my characters trusted saka an inch (especially my corpo assassin) so that ending is out, two... my characters wanted to playthings out personally, didn't feel right for them to hand the reigns over to someone else to get them out of their own predicament. so all the johnny takes the wheels endings are out. so that leaves only nomads, not that i'm complaining, don't think they'd have liked the others. am i being railroaded to pick that one ending?
If can help to further prove your point:
this is from The Devil credit calls
20210211160031_1.jpg

And your point would apply if they were the ones not making time for V but it's the other way around. They all leave voicemails at the end saying they haven't heard from V in a while, which means they want to keep in touch. I don't see how this implies in any way that V is or should be the center of everything.

Is this the Sun ending? I'm afraid I haven't done that yet, you may be right, I'm just going by what other people are saying with V's LI's leaving because V want's to give it their last shot to... I honestly don't know since I haven't done it :D.

But in the other endings V either burns all the bridges (at least from V's POV in The Devil ending) or they're left with no other option but to leave the city since the corps are after them.

To use your Commander Shepard example: it would be like Shepard not bothering to talk to their squadmates when Kelly/Traynor says they'd like to talk to them because Shepard is too busy probing planets.

Not fully, I think that analogy would only work in regards to The Aldecaldos. But I understand where you're coming from.

And lol why am I picturing EDI saying probing Uranus xD.

In defense of The Sun, to those who say "well, my V is optimistic, you can't take that from me!"

Maybe in head canon, but all demonstrated Vs who don't make their peace and hand the body to Johnny are pretty damn terrified/angry about the idea of dying, and has behavior that is at times downright abrasive, depressed, or self-pitying as a response when it comes down to the quiet nighttime of the soul and the guns aren't out. Doesn't matter if that's the very first time V is on Vik's table post-heist or in the final convo with Johnny sitting on a well, V does not handle looming death in a cheery and optimistic fashion.

But damned if he isn't determined to live.

So when we say that having lived the good life for months, during which V has been slowly dying, it'd be pretty consistent with both the character and the theme to imagine his relationships might have taken a beating. Especially if he needed time to actually set up the orbital job.

A job where she is taking a likely one way trip at the behest of a rogue AI - which worked out so well for her last time - and is at the real end of her clock, but steps into space absolutely determined to live even if it means taking on the impossible (like, say, storming Arasaka tower)...

Gotta say, that's pretty consistent with everything we're shown on screen about V.
Sun tries to be a variation of the Bolivian Army Ending with the twist that MC doesn't want to win/dies.
The worst thing about this ending that it really make the least of sence of all endings for me. Panam is ok rather cheerful one if not for the plot cancer, Araska well you get what you paid for.
But here is paid to be on the top and V acts like broken person heading to the bottom. You can't even make the whole chain of dialogues to not sound like a this person. there is always at least few answers, and one V monologue, plus Delamain quoting V that makes little sens for someone who achieved everything.

It's night and day between Rouge and V.

Last edited:
I just played and finished original Deus Ex. I haven't played it ever before.
What caught my attention is that the plot is amazing, like all the conspiracy theories ever created, put into one game. Hard to understand what's going on till the end. Loved the story and choices and consequences.

I recommend playing the original Deus Ex to all the fans of cyberpunk-genre who have not yet played it. It's a masterpiece in my opnion. The graphics are of course outdated but the mechanics of the game are actually pretty similiar if not the same in big portions to the newer Deus Ex games. So Im putting the story of DE into spoliers if you haven't played it yet.

Funny how the same plot-idea was used in CP77:

JC denton had a killswitch that was put into him by the UNATCO or MJ12 and he had to remove it, by going to some underground scientist in Hong Kong and he just removed like that, main character even asked: "and that's it?, the scientist responded: "just like that, just a switch" and it worked. It reminded me of the plot of CP77, because it is ofcourse the same as "you have a bomb in your head, V. Gotta take it out", but in DE it is resolved almost constantly, while in CP77 the whole plot is based on this - imagine if it became just a portion of the game in CP77, you go to Vic or some scientist he remove it and the game goes on. It would be kinda funny and stupid even in a way... but if it could have been just a portion of the story, it would be better imo, and it could actually work if the plot would go on with some kind of conspiracy going on(virus/tracker/live-engraming of v in the biochip? possibillites are endless in this universe) that could engage player's attention to that, rather than going with the ticking bomb scenario all the way. The endings of CP77 don't bring a sense of accomplishment that the DE brings.
It was funny for a moment but well, the plot was so thick that this "killswitch" was just a tiny piece of the whole puzzle, so I just shrugged and moved on. Shame that in Cyberpunk it was sooo artifically prolonged by the plotcancer. I would rather play a character that is not constantly under pressure from the ticking bomb in his/her head and can actually make his own decisions like in DE, than roleplay a character that not only is not cool but cannot make his own decisions and is egoistic and self-centered a$$hole. If the ticking bomb is a part of the story - cool, if it is a whole game's plot - weird and stressful for the player. No wonder many players finished CP77 in 25 h going through the whole main quest, rather than messing around with police fetch quests. The game design in this part of CP77 is just weird, while in DE it plays a significant role for the story.

Also, the endings are kinda similiar to CP77:

- Merge with AI - well going to cyberspace/staying with Alt seems kinda the same
- Join the illuminati - you can get your mind trapped in mikoshi that's kinda like it
- Put the World into another dark age by destroying global communications and electronics network - this choice is unique to Deus Ex, actually but maybe in CP77 DLC it will go into this "revolution" scenario where things go really really wrong for the corpos

Anyway had waaaay more fun playing this old game, than playing CP77, and that tells you something about games these days (or about me ;)).

The game was really hard, I was playing on easy and died like hundred times :ROFLMAO: It was frustrating sometimes, because I was not saving often (accustomed to autosave, forgot that the saving feature exist sometimes),but eventually it brought me satisfaction in completing some of it's harder parts. It feels DE was made with a lot of passion and attention to details, for such an old game (20 years old? ugh... Jesus, time goes fast) it is still quite fun and cool. It was really ahead of it's time.

Comparing the games now would not be fair of course but I would rather play more Deus Ex than Cyberpunk - I have played and finished the newer ones DE:HR and DE:MD ofcourse. Maybe if CP77 will get some massive overhaul, maybe... but in this state right now... it is Deus Ex 1:0 Cyberpunk 2077 in my book.

Also,
GEP GUN!
Why so few rocket launchers in CP77??? There is only one you can have in your arm... Shame...

PS.
V's reaction to ticking bomb inside of him/her:
omg, im dying, someone save me pls, this is a nightmare
:cry:

JC Denton's reaction to killswitch:
We will see about that.
:cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom