[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Everyone talking how Ctrl+V (see what I did there?) is not the real V... That'd be fine. Usually RPG's with actual branching stories don't have just a "Yay! The Reapers are dead, Ciri decided to become a Witcher and the Commonwealth is safe" and a "Damn! The Reapers killed everyone, Ciri is dead and the Commonwealth is ruled by the Brotherhood of Steel" options. They have grey options in the middle. Having V survive as Ctrl+V is a grey ending, as it allows you to enjoy the post-game, live your life as you decide, and develop and enjoy the relationships you built over the game, while still leaving that bitter taste in your mouth reminding you the only reason you are living is because there is, somewhere out there, your parent copy, dying.

IMHO, it is a valid option as a "And they lived happy ever after" ending...

On a side note. Am I just emotionally scarred enough that I cried when V woke up at the Arasaka station, and cried once again when I was told I was going to die, or did someone else was as affected as I was?

you make a great point. I played TW1 around a dozen times when it first came out (just got my first comp, didn't know many games, didn't have money to buy), then TW2 at least 3 times with both routes and I'm currently on my 3rd endless playthrough TW3 (as in "I boot it up once in a while and just walk around because it feels so good to be back"), so I am very much attached to my Geralt, too.

the funny thing is that, in all these years, especially as the hype was starting to ramp up, I had no high expectations for anything other than the story and the characters. yet, 50 hours later, coming back to do the gigs and sides, I find myself really loving the mechanics (I play stealth and it feels so much like simplified immersive sim it's awesome) and trying my hardest to ignore the plot.
Yep. I actually expected the combat to be average, but I'm a sucker for good stories, and RPGs in general. I don't think I'll ever trust cdpr like that again.

I was planning several playthroughs with different character builds and playing the other two lifestyles.
After finishing the game, I've been just sitting here for hours just starting at my screen, reading the forums.
Feeling... empty.

But yeah, it is what it is. We're just playing V's story.
Like reading a book.
A book I don't wanna read again.

Game uses Soulkiller.
It's super effective.

Once we reached Act 2 when Viktor tells you that you're going to die soon, and it looked downhill from there, I stopped bothering to do side quests, or get save money to buy a fancy ride, to want to try new perks, or whatever. I just focused on the main plot, hoping that a cure for V would be found, and then I could go back to doing side quests after finishing the main storyline.
I didn't! I took it as a challenge for my V. V would find a way to save themselves.. no matter what! Then I got spoiled and found out that literally can never happen. A cruel joke.

On a side note. Am I just emotionally scarred enough that I cried when V woke up at the Arasaka station, and cried once again when I was told I was going to die, or did someone else was as affected as I was?

No, they genuinely did a fantastic job in making V (and basically every other character) likable and 'alive'. The journey was like making a friend, and then losing them. That's why all of us here are so upset at the ending. There's many stories with bad endings, but this one hits -hard- because of how much of a good job they did with making us attached to our V.

Doesn't help that I'd wager most of us here were waiting for the game for years, consuming all the hype, and then being gut punched because of how unprepared we were for things to turn -this- sour... It truly was a masterful stroke of genius if they wanted their players and fans to feel shitty.

Expectation: GTA / Saints Row style game, a bit more serious but still one about street life, corps, big money, fast cars, expensive hoes, raising to the top.

Reality: "Nope, have some existential horror LOL"

Last edited:
I was planning several playthroughs with different character builds and playing the other two lifestyles.
After finishing the game, I've been just sitting here for hours just starting at my screen, reading the forums.
Feeling... empty.

But yeah, it is what it is. We're just playing V's story.
Like reading a book.
A book I don't wanna read again.

Game uses Soulkiller.
It's super effective.
Same here, I'm just sitting here for hours, not wanting to do anything, cuz nothing is really cheering me up right now.
Post automatically merged:

Everyone talking how Ctrl+V (see what I did there?) is not the real V... That'd be fine. Usually RPG's with actual branching stories don't have just a "Yay! The Reapers are dead, Ciri decided to become a Witcher and the Commonwealth is safe" and a "Damn! The Reapers killed everyone, Ciri is dead and the Commonwealth is ruled by the Brotherhood of Steel" options. They have grey options in the middle. Having V survive as Ctrl+V is a grey ending, as it allows you to enjoy the post-game, live your life as you decide, and develop and enjoy the relationships you built over the game, while still leaving that bitter taste in your mouth reminding you the only reason you are living is because there is, somewhere out there, your parent copy, dying.

IMHO, it is a valid option as a "And they lived happy ever after" ending...

Ngl, i force closed the game after my final choice in Arasaka station, I just couldnt handle it seeing V sit in that chair, I just couldn't. For me this is the same factor when in The Withcer 3, you find Ciri, but it looked like it was over (startet crying there like a little girl), but then it was great again ( you know that part). But here, there is only the first part, nothing good after that.

Last edited:
Yep. I actually expected the combat to be average, but I'm a sucker for good stories, and RPGs in general. I don't think I'll ever trust cdpr like that again.

I'll withhold my judgment for now. the game came out like 5 days ago and there are a lot of problems that need fixing first to at least stop CDPR hemorrhaging money from both stocks and refunds. no matter how much they've let us down in numerous ways, I don't wish any irreparable financial troubles on them. and, you know, we live in the world where No Man's Sky managed to rise from being the butt of every joke in the industry to being universally loved and awarded at TGA, so as far as comebacks go, I think everything is possible.

You are introducing ambiguity where the game does not. Any "V" after Soulkiller IS a construct copy, and any life it gets to live in those 6 months is not the V you were playing during the game. Any DLC that takes place in those six months might as well be marketed as "see what this construct does with your body! See what you might've gotten to do if you didn't fry yourself so an AI could pretend to be you!"

Shooting yourself is the only ending that isn't surrendering your body to be used by a construct.

I fundamentally don't recognize the distinction between the two. V retains all of their memories, characteristics, desires, beliefs, and emotions. They leave cyberspace remembering the experience, and all events prior, in their entirety. Our brains are just electrical impulses communicating in the same manner as a computer does. What separates us from a computer is what I listed above.

If you want to tell me that the copy of V is completely different from the original V, then you have to make the case in where the differences are.

I'll withhold my judgment for now. the game came out like 5 days ago and there are a lot of problems that need fixing first to at least stop CDPR hemorrhaging money from both stocks and refunds. no matter how much they've let us down in numerous ways, I don't wish any irreparable financial troubles on them. and, you know, we live in the world where No Man's Sky managed to rise from being the butt of every joke in the industry to being universally loved and awarded at TGA, so as far as comebacks go, I think everything is possible.
This game will never have a No Man's Sky style comeback. That game is an open ended sandbox, where anything is possible. Without serious retcons the flaws in their writing (level of choice), with all of their current endings will always be there. They could probably fix things like the insta-spawning NCPD or whatever, but the biggest issue - the story would be a MUCH harder thing to fix. Frankly, I don't think those endings can be fixed, but rather put on the sidelines by a mid-game DLC ending addition.
Post automatically merged:

I fundamentally don't recognize the distinction between the two. V retains all of their memories, characteristics, desires, beliefs, and emotions. They leave cyberspace remembering the experience, and all events prior, in their entirety. Our brains are just electrical impulses communicating in the same manner as a computer does. What separates us from a computer is what I listed above.
The V you play dies. The copy V isn't V. It is a copy. The entire plot of saving yourself is defunct. The copy isn't saving yourself. The copy is a separate entity. They (apparently) even say in the story it's not the cure your looking for - if what I've read in this thread is true.

Story telling mode activated. I'ma use Judy's FemV for simplicity, but you get my drift.

V's shuttle lands, and Judy, Panam, Vik, Misty, Takemura welcome V at the Arasaka spaceport. They are all happy V's alive and she got rid of Johnny. They party a bit together. As per Judy's suggestion, they all go to Afterlife. Judy and V drink and dance like there's no tomorrow. Misty is reading Panam's cards, and Vik is trying to teach Takemura how to use the Net search, rather than keep sending him messages like "APARTMENT TO PURCHASE", "GOOD HOUSE LOW RENT", "HOUSE FOR SALE NO QUESTION".

As V and Judy sit at the booth the others are, she kisses V and say how much she is happy to have her back. They mingle some more, Judy takes V back to her crib and they share a passionate night, and whatnot. V wakes up in the middle of the night with a familiar voice calling her from outside the bedroom. It's Johnny. V's voice falters as she calls for him. No response. Judy's not on the bed with her, and the lights are all out, and no neon light can be seen through the blinds. Something is wrong. She goes to the living room and sees Johnny at the kitchen table, with his back towards V. She cannot believe what she's seeing. She thought he was gone. She thought he was never coming back. Johnny explains that although V's engram was copied over, it didn't come clean. Johnny's construct was so far ingrained onto V's that they are unseparable. V does not want to accept that. She tries to hit him, but ends up hitting the cupboard behind him. He then starts taunting V for she is only a copy of the real deal. The real V who partnered with him, and worked together. V keeps trying to hit him, with no success. He mocks her for not trying enough. Says that her friends, down there, know she's not the real V. That... Judy knows. V lunges at Johnny screaming, only to wake up to a scared Judy trying to hold you down. It was a dream. Judy says everything is going to be alright. V says thank you. They embrace for a while, and V ends the scene saying, "I love you Judy". Though the voice that comes out is Johnny's.

There, a good/bad actual ending for Ctrl+V.

I think one thing people are missing is that Cyberpunk is a genre that rarely has a happy ending as almost a defining feature due to the setting and its heavy Nior influences. A great defining line I've seen about it is that the protagonist doesn't get ahead in life, at best they get back to where they started at the beginning of the story. I think if CDPR had made a "best" ending, it would have felt pretty phony.

To be honest if they added 2
V lives endings and add 4 Jackie 'The Hispanic legend' lives choices
I'd be more than happy but it's a super fun game imho.

This game will never have a No Man's Sky style comeback. That game is an open ended sandbox, where anything is possible. Without serious retcons the flaws in their writing (level of choice), with all of their current endings will always be there. They could probably fix things like the insta-spawning NCPD or whatever, but the biggest issue - the story would be a MUCH harder thing to fix. Frankly, I don't think those endings can be fixed, but rather put on the sidelines by a mid-game DLC ending addition.

not saying you are wrong, but Motsie's point about tarot in nomad ending kind of made me feel a little better. it's far from my preferred ending, but it's at least something, a shard of hope.

for now, it all really hinges on what the reaction from the devs will be - if there'll be any at all. for all we know they might go full Kojima or Druckman and blame us for not understanding their shining genius :shrug:

Story telling mode activated. I'ma use Judy's FemV for simplicity, but you get my drift.

V's shuttle lands, and Judy, Panam, Vik, Misty, Takemura welcome V at the Arasaka spaceport. They are all happy V's alive and she got rid of Johnny. They party a bit together. As per Judy's suggestion, they all go to Afterlife. Judy and V drink and dance like there's no tomorrow. Misty is reading Panam's cards, and Vik is trying to teach Takemura how to use the Net search, rather than keep sending him messages like "APARTMENT TO PURCHASE", "GOOD HOUSE LOW RENT", "HOUSE FOR SALE NO QUESTION".

As V and Judy sit at the booth the others are, she kisses V and say how much she is happy to have her back. They mingle some more, Judy takes V back to her crib and they share a passionate night, and whatnot. V wakes up in the middle of the night with a familiar voice calling her from outside the bedroom. It's Johnny. V's voice falters as she calls for him. No response. Judy's not on the bed with her, and the lights are all out, and no neon light can be seen through the blinds. Something is wrong. She goes to the living room and sees Johnny at the kitchen table, with his back towards V. She cannot believe what she's seeing. She thought he was gone. She thought he was never coming back. Johnny explains that although V's engram was copied over, it didn't come clean. Johnny's construct was so far ingrained onto V's that they are unseparable. V does not want to accept that. She tries to hit him, but ends up hitting the cupboard behind him. He then starts taunting V for she is only a copy of the real deal. The real V who partnered with him, and worked together. V keeps trying to hit him, with no success. He mocks her for not trying enough. Says that her friends, down there, know she's not the real V. That... Judy knows. V lunges at Johnny screaming, only to wake up to a scared Judy trying to hold you down. It was a dream. Judy says everything is going to be alright. V says thank you. They embrace for a while, and V ends the scene saying, "I love you Judy". Though the voice that comes out is Johnny's.

There, a good/bad actual ending for Ctrl+V.

I could go on the whole night... Writing stories comes naturally to me, and I'm no professional write... I'm a programmer, ffs... XD

I think one thing people are missing is that Cyberpunk is a genre that rarely has a happy ending as almost a defining feature due to the setting and its heavy Nior influences. A great defining line I've seen about it is that the protagonist doesn't get ahead in life, at best they get back to where they started at the beginning of the story. I think if CDPR had made a "best" ending, it would have felt pretty phony.

Yeah... But what about 7 endings that end the exact same, no matter what you do?
BioWare said:
Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Mass Effect 3 Endings? I thought not. It's not a story EA would tell you.

After playing the main story i feel depressed. The story of V really is sad and dark. This game needs a happy ending and a little bit of happines and it would come out perfect. In the first place there should be 3 happy endings and 3 bad/sad endings.

As I said before, having sad/edgy world doesn't mean we have to have sad endings.

Top Bottom