[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Exactly, there is another large thread on the forum where the fixes for TW3 are laid out in respect that CDPR will sort the game and won't abandon us. But my point there, as I commented, is what happens then when the game is running better and people are happy, only to play through and come to the same disappointment and annoyance as a lot of people over what the game could have been.

Tinkering for the next 12 months fixing every possible bug, regardless of how insignificant and producing stacks of customization feels like a bit of a band-aid on a broken leg. You will just have a lovely, colourful, highly customisable world with the same pointless decisions, following the same story to a questionable ending. I'm not saying don't fix bugs or add customisation, just that it needs to be balanced with addressing the flaws of the endings/romances etc. Because in all honesty, I probably won't still be here in 6 months playing bug free waiting for better endings of continuation, and I don't know how much enthusiasm I would have to return.
Exactly, now we sit here without knowing anything. Is someone from CDPR reading this, are they thinking of solution, do they know this is a problem. If we at least would get a response that they gonna work towards this or DLC will have it, I would be much more calmer than I am now.

I made an account just to post here.

This ending killed my hope for this game, and I'm really struggling to come to terms with it. So maybe venting about it will help me out. Thank you anyone who reads this.

I first heard about Cyberpunk about 2-3 months ago. I didn't buy into any of the hype other than I had heard this company did a great job with the Witcher, and that it was 'reliable' for a good time. I pre-ordered the game solely because I love the cyberpunk theme and genre. And because I would have honestly been content with bullshitting in the open world as a grindy MMO-esq type game. Just give me cyberpunk -- I can play the game with my own story and vibe.

But you guys killed the one thing about this game that blinded me of all its faults. You killed my character! And now I'm just.. disillusioned. I didn't mind all the bugs. I didn't mind the janky story or the cut content. NONE of that stuff bothered me, because I had my character. I had my own personal story. And you guys took that away from me!

You took my character away from me and tried to replace them with what? This Johnny guy I didn't ask for? He's not even a redeemable character. He's a selfish, malicious, greedy asshole, and he's nothing like my opportunistic good-hearted, help-a-friend-out V. What the fuck did you guys expect? That the community will fall in love with Johnny? He's not the one paying for your games. WE ARE! And you fucking killed my guy. Fuck you guys, fuck Johnny.

Please fix this. I can't comfortably grind around the world knowing that my character is just going to die and nothing I do matters.This was my first game I ever bought from you guys, and I was riding on the collective good-will of the community, but killing my character almost felt like a personal attack (I know it's not), but come on. With all the bugs and the shitty launch, my character was all I had going for me. And you took V away from me.

---

Thanks everyone who listened to my rant. I feel a little better now. I really hope they patch in a good ending or even just a neutral one. I'm sorry I defended this game as long as I did. My hopes died with V.

If nothing else it's been a pleasure reading all your guys' opinions and contemplating life after these endings.

I wanted to replay the game again but I cannot bring myself to play all of this over again, there is no point.

The story is such an integral part of this game that Johnny is with you even on the smallest side missions sometimes, and knowing what happens and how you cannot do shit about it takes the wind out of my sails.

I'm hoping for that DLC and that more people start expressing their opinions on the ending when they finish the game, maybe that will sway CDPR for some kind of wrap up DLC.

Some folk are saying new endings but I quite enjoyed the Panam ending and even the legend one, just gives those endings more outcomes based on our choices, maybe we can even save V if not, maybe let us see those 6 months, see what we fought for. Though, I wouldn't mind more choices-- we all know thats what this game is missing in spades.
Yeah I share the same sentiment. Good to know I wasn't being unreasonable when I finished the game with "oh...well that's shit".

I think we definitely need to be given the chance to see those 6 months, to live them and play them. V is a brilliant character and their are a lot of fantastic characters in the game besides Johnny, it just seems an utter travesty to just sweep them under the rug like 'Bye, shows over folks'.

The main problem with the endings is that they just suck for the type of game that Cyberpunk 2077 is. If it were a 10-20 hour fps or horror game like SOMA, the endings would be fine. You got the experience, got attached to this character, got your heartstrings pulled at and now move on. But in a massive open world RPG where you can easily spend 100 hours building up your character and reputation, make alliances and enemies, build all kind of different relationships with the NPCs and where the Devs want you to replay the game AND the additional DLCs a conclusion that revolves around you dying three times without any meaning and without any possibility to achieve your goal is simply bad. At this point the best possible outcome is for us to only die twice with the prospect of letting a copy of ourself live out the last remaining months of the equivalent of terminal brain cancer with our lover. Hurray. It's just sad because up until you talk to Alt the story is actually very interesting and cool but then it goes down the drain and at least for me has completely killed the desire to play through the game again or play the DLCs.

The saddest part is that it wouldn't even require that much work to fix the endings substantially. Give the decisions to align with or against Johnny throughout the story some meaning and if you keep the percentage low enough, open up a new path where Alt realizes that the damage to your brain is not yet so strong that she has to use Soulkiller to kill you and create an engramm of you but can separate Johnny without killing you, buying you (actual V) six months. This wouldn't solve the 6 months on terminal tech-cancer ending, but at least actual V would have achieved his goal, freed himself from the chip and could ride of into the sunset with at least the small glimmer of hope of finding someone that can help him and living out his life with the nomads and Panam/Judy. It would be a proper bittersweet ending that would at least feel somewhat rewarding and satisfying.

The main problem with the endings is that they just suck for the type of game that Cyberpunk 2077 is. If it were a 10-20 hour fps or horror game like SOMA, the endings would be fine. You got the experience, got attached to this character, got your heartstrings pulled at and now move on. But in a massive open world RPG where you can easily spend 100 hours building up your character and reputation, make alliances and enemies, build all kind of different relationships with the NPCs and where the Devs want you to replay the game AND the additional DLCs a conclusion that revolves around you dying three times without any meaning and without any possibility to achieve your goal is simply bad. At this point the best possible outcome is for us to only die twice with the prospect of letting a copy of ourself live out the last remaining months of the equivalent of terminal brain cancer with our lover. Hurray. It's just sad because up until you talk to Alt the story is actually very interesting and cool but then it goes down the drain and at least for me has completely killed the desire to play through the game again or play the DLCs.

The saddest part is that it wouldn't even require that much work to fix the endings substantially. Give the decisions to align with or against Johnny throughout the story some meaning and if you keep the percentage low enough, open up a new path where Alt realizes that the damage to your brain is not yet so strong that she has to use Soulkiller to kill you and create an engramm of you but can separate Johnny without killing you, buying you (actual V) six months. This wouldn't solve the 6 months on terminal tech-cancer ending, but at least actual V would have achieved his goal, freed himself from the chip and could ride of into the sunset with at least the small glimmer of hope of finding someone that can help him and living out his life with the nomads and Panam/Judy. It would be a proper bittersweet ending that would at least feel somewhat rewarding and satisfying.
Personally I do not like the 6 months to die part. Why it is needed it there. If it is rpg, let us choose the future for V. Die, live for a short time, or go back to normal life and continue being merc. Was it really that hard to give us those options? Everyone would have something they would like to go for and that's it. But now, every ending is edgy and goes one way.

I made an account just to post here.

This ending killed my hope for this game, and I'm really struggling to come to terms with it. So maybe venting about it will help me out. Thank you anyone who reads this.

I first heard about Cyberpunk about 2-3 months ago. I didn't buy into any of the hype other than I had heard this company did a great job with the Witcher, and that it was 'reliable' for a good time. I pre-ordered the game solely because I love the cyberpunk theme and genre. And because I would have honestly been content with bullshitting in the open world as a grindy MMO-esq type game. Just give me cyberpunk -- I can play the game with my own story and vibe.

But you guys killed the one thing about this game that blinded me of all its faults. You killed my character! And now I'm just.. disillusioned. I didn't mind all the bugs. I didn't mind the janky story or the cut content. NONE of that stuff bothered me, because I had my character. I had my own personal story. And you guys took that away from me!

You took my character away from me and tried to replace them with what? This Johnny guy I didn't ask for? He's not even a redeemable character. He's a selfish, malicious, greedy asshole, and he's nothing like my opportunistic good-hearted, help-a-friend-out V. What the fuck did you guys expect? That the community will fall in love with Johnny? He's not the one paying for your games. WE ARE! And you fucking killed my guy. Fuck you guys, fuck Johnny.

Please fix this. I can't comfortably grind around the world knowing that my character is just going to die and nothing I do matters.This was my first game I ever bought from you guys, and I was riding on the collective good-will of the community, but killing my character almost felt like a personal attack (I know it's not), but come on. With all the bugs and the shitty launch, my character was all I had going for me. And you took V away from me.

---

Thanks everyone who listened to my rant. I feel a little better now. I really hope they patch in a good ending or even just a neutral one. I'm sorry I defended this game as long as I did. My hopes died with V.
Welcome to the pain factory, feel free to pick a corner to sob in lol.

It's affected a lot of people by the look of it, with more popping up as they obviously finish the game and seek out answers. What you feel also tends to echo the majority: any bugs and glitches are annoying but the one thing that makes this game shine is it's characters and their stories, pushing through and taking us with them. Creating very real bonds and immersion with numerous characters. Yet this is the one area that really needs work, the endings and though not the topic of the thread, the romances too, all tie into the games major success of epic characters. Its like they have sent their best fighter into the ring wearing a blindfold and one arm behind his back, for seemingly no reason at al.

Personally I do not like the 6 months to die part. Why it is needed it there. If it is rpg, let us choose the future for V. Die, live for a short time, or go back to normal life and continue being merc. Was it really that hard to give us those options? Everyone would have something they would like to go for and that's it. But now, every ending is edgy and goes one way.

i dont like the 6 month part because a) we dont get to fix it b) we dont get to play afterwards.

I've now put several hours into my corpo playthrough - still in Watson. I've had a lot of time to think. I am starting to get back into the game, and enjoying it again. I'm sure once Johnny shows up I'll change my mind, but I digress.

You have to have a very certain mindset, and character RP to actually enjoy the game knowing the endings, or rather I have to. I've thought of ways I could RP it. Here's a couple examples:

The one that keeps getting brought up here: going out as a Night City Legend. Is one of them. Yes, it is not V's dream, but when Jackie dies you there is a dialogue choice where your V will promise Jackie that they will become that Night City Legend (I'm paraphrasing), and several times later in reference to honoring Jackie. This RP probably works the best as a Streetkid, in my opinion.

For netrunners (character playstyle) you could probably choose the ending where Johnny takes your body, you "live on" in Cyberspace. I have a question though does V get soulkilled to be put into Cyberspace? Or does the actual V "live on" in cyberspace or whatever? If you RP it, you could probably live with this ending, your character might even prefer it. Not one I'd ever take, but I'm just giving ideas.

I'm just trying to think of ideas to RP within the bounds of the game's endings, because I want to play this game without the specter of dread always there. Choices don't matter, but if you start thinking of this game more as an action-adventure with limited choice - that "choice" specifically in the ending (like many action-adventure games) it's not as bad.

Again, no I am not excusing these terrible endings. I just want to play the game, and maybe this post can give ideas for other that are stuck in a rut, and want to play this game, but also are annoyed by the endings. Think of RP'ing a character in Skyrim, there aren't really choices in that, but you can play and RP as different characters, and get a different experience everytime

I've now put several hours into my corpo playthrough - still in Watson. I've had a lot of time to think. I am starting to get back into the game, and enjoying it again. I'm sure once Johnny shows up I'll change my mind, but I digress.

You have to have a very certain mindset, and character RP to actually enjoy the game knowing the endings, or rather I have to. I've thought of ways I could RP it. Here's a couple examples:

The one that keeps getting brought up here: going out as a Night City Legend. Is one of them. Yes, it is not V's dream, but when Jackie dies you there is a dialogue choice where your V will promise Jackie that they will become that Night City Legend (I'm paraphrasing), and several times later in reference to honoring Jackie. This RP probably works the best as a Streetkid, in my opinion.

For netrunners (character playstyle) you could probably choose the ending where Johnny takes your body, you "live on" in Cyberspace. I have a question though does V get soulkilled to be put into Cyberspace? Or does the actual V "live on" in cyberspace or whatever? If you RP it, you could probably live with this ending, your character might even prefer it. Not one I'd ever take, but I'm just giving ideas.

I'm just trying to think of ideas to RP within the bounds of the game's endings, because I want to play this game without the specter of dread always there. Choices don't matter, but if you start thinking of this game more as an action-adventure with limited choice - specifically in the ending (like many action-adventure games) it's not as bad.

Again, no I am not excusing these terrible endings. I just want to play the game, and maybe this post can give ideas for other that are stuck in a rut, and want to play this game, but also are annoyed by the endings. Think of RP'ing a character in Skyrim, there aren't really choices in that, but you can play and RP as different characters, and get a different experience everytime
Glad it works out for you, but for me personally, every time I try launching the game, my mind keeps reminding me of what is waiting at the end and I close it again.

Here is the ending where we get to "live" in a certain way, without Arasaka's bankrupcy,
I think it's the only positive ending where we can still hope to live more than 6 months...
and so I think and hope it's an opening for a potential DLC story continuity as V in another body.

Glad it works out for you, but for me personally, every time I try launching the game, my mind keeps reminding me of what is waiting at the end and I close it again.
I never said it "works" for me. You have to think of this game as less an RPG as advertised, and more an action-adventure. The game is good, and the character's are memorable. I'd like to actually play the game, rather than whine and complain on here, all the time. You just have to put yourself in the right headspace.

Also, I gave this game a negative review on steam (for now), this game is advertised as an RPG and thoroughly disappoints in that category.

Personally what's eating away at me is that the ending robs us of a chance to continue playing 'our way'. Irregardless of feeling hopeless, it's just bad game design to have one, linear, finite story that matters in a game that tries its hardest to be about the city at large.

It's something that makes me think back to new vegas; Yes, in that game you cannot play after the credits, but -- 1) the endings are varied 2) there's actual choices you can make that affect the ending (which characters thrive, which lose, which characters live, which characters die, which factions win, which factions lose, etc etc.) -- none of this in cyberpunk.

3) If you don't want to do the main story, you never have to because there's a million other varied things to do. Gambling, side quests, reputations, companions, exploring the wasteland to find them and -- most importantly -- NO RAILROADING.

Here is the ending where we get to "live" in a certain way, without Arasaka's bankrupcy,
I think it's the only positive ending where we can still hope to live more than 6 months...
and so I think and hope it's an opening for a potential DLC story continuity as V in another body.
One can only hope.
Post automatically merged:

Personally what's eating away at me is that the ending robs us of a chance to continue playing 'our way'. Irregardless of feeling hopeless, it's just bad game design to have one, linear, finite story that matters in a game that tries its hardest to be about the city at large.

It's something that makes me think back to new vegas; Yes, in that game you cannot play after the credits, but -- 1) the endings are varied 2) there's actual choices you can make that affect the ending (which characters thrive, which lose, which characters live, which characters die, which factions win, which factions lose, etc etc.) -- none of this in cyberpunk.

3) If you don't want to do the main story, you never have to because there's a million other varied things to do. Gambling, side quests, reputations, companions, exploring the wasteland to find them and -- most importantly -- NO RAILROADING.
Yup, it forces you to options that are all similar and removes replayability. What is worst, when I think about it, if you wanna unlock extra sidequests and additional stuff (buying cars etc.), you have to stay in 2 nd act all the time.

Unfortunately, the Obsidian of those days is not the Obsidian of Today. I'd rather play an actual RPG with choice, but I'd also like to actually play the game I paid 60 dollars for as well. I've said before in this thread, I probably would have chosen some of the endings we were given for various characters anyway.

Even if CDPR said they were gonna fix this for us TODAY, it would still be a very long time before that actually happens. I'd just have this game sitting in my library. Again, it's not like this is a bad game, it's just that it was advertised as an RPG with choice.

Unfortunately, the Obsidian of those days is not the Obsidian of Today.

I don't care who makes the game, truly. I care that the game is good. Though, I've betrayed this principle in trusting CDPR to deliver by making this my first preorder ever... Oh well. Lesson learned. At least I still had a bit of fun before the ending.

I'm still going to follow the patch cycle but I am struggling to find motivation to play a game I expected to replay at least 4 times over the next months ;/

Unfortunately, the Obsidian of those days is not the Obsidian of Today. I'd rather play an actual RPG with choice, but I'd also like to actually play the game I paid 60 dollars for as well. I've said before in this thread, I probably would have chosen some of the endings we were given for various characters anyway.

Even if CDPR said they were gonna fix this for us TODAY, it would still be a very long time before that actually happens. I'd just have this game sitting in my library. Again, it's not like this is a bad game, it's just that it was advertised as an RPG with choice.
For me, if they said they are going to fix this, id be relieved, knowing that my next possible playthrough will have nice ending and accept the fate of my first playthrough.

It's weird when I think about it.

Bioshock: Infinite basically kills you off at the end of the first game. And also at the end of the first DLC. AND AGAIN with the 2nd DLC. You die 3 separate times as 3 separate characters. I feel like those deaths were easier to swallow, because they were a defining end of a chapter. You close the book and move on.

I feel like, maybe I could resolve myself to accepting V's death if I treat Cyberpunk as a story I read once, and shelve. But a voice inside me fights against that concept, because the game itself is built as this big open-world adventure zone. And you just can't have an open-world adventure with a closed book.

I don't know. I'm still really emotional about it. The only expectation I had at all was that I wanted to play it 'my way' in the open world, and they took that away from me. I didn't even know it was a possibility. And they hurt me where I wasn't expecting it.

ugh. Maybe if V died chasing their dreams -- I could wrap my head around that as "I'll miss ya, but I respect you. You went out doing what you loved."

But this. this is just an insult.

For me, if they said they are going to fix this, id be relieved, knowing that my next possible playthrough will have nice ending and accept the fate of my first playthrough.
Who says they didn't already plan to move on with Copy V? I've sat and thought about the endings we got, even if they didn't add a new good ending. Your favored Nomad playthrough, is probably a lock as is. I'm pretty positive that copy V finds a cure in that and others, whether you think he does or not. There is no purpose in putting those tarot cards in there otherwise, or the general optimism. The writers just didn't put in gigantic neon letters "(copy) V FINDS A CURE". You can choose to be depressed, if you want, I guess. I'm done with it. There is an opening in most* of them for a V comeback, even if it's just as a copy.

I was depressed for days, but I'm over it. I have slept on it, and thought on it. I will still advocate for a new ending don't get me wrong, these endings also largely suck, but I think they may have been written this way on purpose. (aside from the Johnny railroad)I refuse to believe CDPR somehow wrote themselves completely into a corner, they have to have plans.

If they keep to their promise when it comes to DLC, we will get something similar to blood and wine which can be done after the fact. A DLC that expanded and completed Geralt's journey. Hearts of Stone was the first paid DLC, a mid-game DLC. A mid-game DLC might give us more context, just context could actually alter these endings, without actually altering these endings.

It's weird when I think about it.

Bioshock: Infinite basically kills you off at the end of the first game. And also at the end of the first DLC. AND AGAIN with the 2nd DLC. You die 3 separate times as 3 separate characters. I feel like those deaths were easier to swallow, because they were a defining end of a chapter. You close the book and move on.

I feel like, maybe I could resolve myself to accepting V's death if I treat Cyberpunk as a story I read once, and shelve. But a voice inside me fights against that concept, because the game itself is built as this big open-world adventure zone. And you just can't have an open-world adventure with a closed book.

I don't know. I'm still really emotional about it. The only expectation I had at all was that I wanted to play it 'my way' in the open world, and they took that away from me. I didn't even know it was a possibility. And they hurt me where I wasn't expecting it.

ugh. Maybe if V died chasing their dreams -- I could wrap my head around that as "I'll miss ya, but I respect you. You went out doing what you loved."

But this. this is just an insult.
Yep, if you were able to take V and play through with your new body from Arasaka, or continue the adventure in Arizona with Panam or Judy. Instead we get, you dead but you not dead, either way no more playtime for you.

Top Bottom