[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
But his romantic interest is going to die soon. It's also heavily ambiguous at the end of the first movie as to whether or not he is also a replicant, and therefore destined to die soon as well.

Only in 2049 (a movie that came out 35 years later and does kill the protagonist) that we get an answer as to whether Dekker was a replicant or not.

I love that they don't give us the easy out. The whole story is a very cynical take on why and how certain people have power and also a very cynical take on transhumanism. The original sin in the main plot is Saburo Arasaka wanting to essentially become immortal. That idea of "beating" death is literally his impulse the game is (in part) critiquing. The idea that when we try to play God and transcend mortality, it all goes awry. I think it's unlikely to be a coincidence that the one ending where V tries to survive at all cost by trusting Arasaka is - I think - by and large considered a less favorable ending for V. Acceptance of mortality is a healthy thing, even in video games. No matter what V does, her body can't live forever.

Making the player deal with that and still choose how to proceed knowing death (in some shape or form) is coming soon - that's very interesting to me. Not something that video games do a lot. Her death doesn't make the things V has done any less impactful. The protagonist doesn't have to survive for there to be meaning in the things they did and the story that's been told.

Maybe they'll add in something in an expansion that impacts the ending. I kinda doubt it though. I think the story loses it's teeth a bit thematically that way.
I kinda get where your comming from but theres a diffrence to imortality and giving up your life for nothing. Does V prevent Saburo in any way whatever edning you choose? Does it solve anything? A meaningfull death is kinda prefereble in a game. I wanna escape the boring reality. And its not really a choise. its made for you. If you skip the side quests cuz the game pretty much tell you too (hurry your dying) and then get to the end how menny choises do you have in what to do? 2? Is that the replayebility they keept talking about? You have to get to the end and be sad about how it ends so you do all sidequests next time and try again but the end isent much better.

The endings suck, like objectively. Even for the genre. Someone else made a post awhile back perfectly explaining this, and would refute that mod's (lol of course) opinion well. So buried I'd never find it though. I don't have the energy to dig it up right now.

Yea i think they went with the dying endings so they can easily make a 2 game. No need to take all the ednings and so on into account in the next game. can just say hey you remember V. Yea s/he died. Jobb done.

Did folks skip the tarot card reading that Misty gives during the credits?

For me, the Panam romance, Aldecaldos route, and Misty's tarot cards are the nudge nudge wink wink that caps the story off in a way that isn't bleak and so much more hopeful and promising. The Chariot, the Lovers, and the Sun are all portents of good things to come.

I mean, look at it all holistically. V started this journey in a depressing state. Industry, tech, and science experts were telling V they are doomed to die due to the biochip. In spite of all this they manage to succeed, at the very least, in splitting Johnny from their mind and returning to their body. Alt cannot predict the future.

Remember Johnny's parting words: Never stop fightin'.

And there's already a thing in the game that can be used here without being too "magical". Sorry if this was brought up already, but... There's a news piece on News 54 about BioDyne creating nanites that can cure MS. So physicaly fixing your neurons. "Little" tweaking and voila... DLC material ready. V is alive.

Speaking of this ending. I can't be the only one who during "Path of Glory" ending noticed "unlabeled braindance" in consumables. And it gives us what our character initialy wanted - to be a legend. And we are. 100% a Legend.

Did folks skip the tarot card reading that Misty gives during the credits?

For me, the Panam romance, Aldecaldos route, and Misty's tarot cards are the nudge nudge wink wink that caps the story off in a way that isn't bleak and so much more hopeful and promising. The Chariot, the Lovers, and the Sun are all portents of good things to come.

I mean, look at it all holistically. V started this journey in a depressing state. Industry, tech, and science experts were telling V they are doomed to die due to the biochip. In spite of all this they manage to succeed, at the very least, in splitting Johnny from their mind and returning to their body. Alt cannot predict the future.

Remember Johnny's parting words: Never stop fightin'.

I really am thinking the base game's story could have just been about splitting Johnny from your body and vise versa. Of course that presented it's own problems with the limited time V has and that will most likely be addressed in DLC.

I personally enjoy happy endings. But I don't consider them a requirement.

For me, the quality of the writing is what matters.

Sucks that we got neither. :giveup:

I wouldn't go that far. Writing - to me, at least - is broken down into two parts. There's the outline, literally the things you'd have on an outline, and there's the dialogue and setting, i.e. the things that flesh out all the points of the outline.

The dialogue and setting are outstanding, to me. From a writing standpoint, the fine details of the script are extremely immersive and they come fast and constantly. You are forced to pay attention to every word, even when you're driving or in combat, lest you get a timed prompt that you straight up have no idea how to respond to. I normally hate QTEs, but since nothing major in the entire game is tied to the timed interjections, I like them.

The overall outline is fine too, except for the parts that are the reason why this entire thread exists. The problem with this game is V dies even in circumstances where the death is illogical and unnecessary. In the end, that's it. I've read and taken part in a several related discussions in this thread alone, and I've enjoyed them mostly, but the core problem is simple and straightforward:

THERE IS NO REASON FOR THE 6 MONTH ARBITRARY DEATH CLOCK IN THE THREE OTHERWISE DECENT ENDINGS.

There, that's it. If anyone wants to argue, argue with THAT. Good luck, I have no idea how you can, but I'm sure someone will.

Last edited:
CDPR has stated in their emergency call that they are aware that how the game has released has caused the 'loss of gamers' trust and reputation that they've been building for decades'

If they're solely focused on rebuilding that, like I hope they are, then they'll at least consider everything that's been said in this thread.
Well, in a similar investor call they said the console version runs "surprisingly well". At this point I read their investor calls as nothing but financial-side marketing.

...which is probably that "loss of gamers' trust" in action. :p

I can respect that and I with you when it comes to asking CDPR for more choices. I'm just a curious fuck and want to really see what are the problems that people are having with the story.
The problem isn't the story, it's the endings.

So far, the best possible endings (from worst to "best") are: Eat a bullet. Sign on with Arasaka's "Secure Your Soul" program and get turned into a biochip (If staying alive in any physical form is your goal, this is your best ending.)

The rest are a mix of, "You're dead", "You have a short time to live" or "Your body is alive, but Johnny's taken over thanks to the biochip overwriting your mind with his."

I just finished the game after dumping 99.2 hours into my V. only to find out she dies in all endings.. wtf. who in their right mind thought players would like that? have going though that mastercrafted story only to kick the player in the gut them shoot us while we are down. after that ending i got and seeing all the other ending i have uninstalled the game and won't be returning until there's a way for V to Survive.

Last edited:
im sorry, but what about "secret ending" - its to not happy? Vi still die after 6 mounts?

I will admit I have played only one ending myself, the Nomad ending, where I chose to save V (had a good rep with Johnny so he didn't protest...) and you are point blank told you have 6 months.

I have watched youtube videos of the other 6. Ignoring the 4 where V is just plain dead, all 3 of the would-be "good" endings include the same line, i.e. that V is going to die in 6 months. Unless someone did a superb splicing job on the youtube videos, no, the secret ending and the other one that "saves" V are both like the Nomad ending, i.e. she's still dead in 6 months.

EDIT: I consider the one where Arasaka shelves her Engram to be a death, simply because they have zero incentive to honor the deal they made with V. She will be stuck there forever unless a clerical error accidentally leads to her actually being revived...most likely. It may be the best path for a save import whenever there's a sequel, but as an ending to THIS game, it's no better than sticking a gun in V's mouth and eating a bullet as far as I'm concerned. Worse, actually. At least with the bullet she can be surrounded by the people who care about her when she goes.
Post automatically merged:

The problem isn't the story, it's the endings.

So far, the best possible endings (from worst to "best") are: Eat a bullet. Sign on with Arasaka's "Secure Your Soul" program and get turned into a biochip (If staying alive in any physical form is your goal, this is your best ending.)

The rest are a mix of, "You're dead", "You have a short time to live" or "Your body is alive, but Johnny's taken over thanks to the biochip overwriting your mind with his."

Not to mention, isn't "you have a short time to live" essentially the same as "your body is alive, but Johnny's taken over." I mean, if my understanding about the Relic is correct, when it finally "kills" you it won't actually kill your corpse, it'll simply have finally erased V's entire psyche and put Johnny fully and permanently in the driver's seat, right?

So basically every single ending except the bullet and the contract are the same, and the contract is really just a bullet since there's practically no chance Arasaka will honor the deal with you.

Last edited:
I just finished the game after dumping 99.2 hours into my V. only to find out she dies in all endings.. wtf. who in their right mind thought players would like that? have going though that mastercrafted story only to kick the player in the gut them shoot us while we are down. after that ending i got and seeing all the other ending i have uninstalled the game and would be returning until there's a way for V to Survive.

Oh man do I feel this :cry: like seriously all of the seven endings are awful because they all end practically the same. ALL SEVEN! There is no incentive to role play as another V when no matter how different they are the all die regardless. People are allowed to have there opinions but seriously no matter who you are if you love RPG's there is no reason you wouldn't want more choices. You can like the endings we have and still agree that there should be other choices. Not all endings have to be so miserable. And it really sucks that the only V that can potentially survive is a copy WITH 6 MONTHS. Like why????

Lol this is a spoiler thread. And see that ending is what people have the least annoyance with because you do get closure in it. My ending had 0 of that and pretty much told me that yeah you fucked up even though you kept true to your character despite what Jhonny judges you.

My problem is that my ending had no closure in it at all. I don't know if the "hopeful" smile at the literal planet Earth from my V was meant to be that... but the voice mails afterwards killed any sense of hope.
Well Kikinho, I've romanced Judy and ended up with both of them in the tank with the aldecaldos running borders followed by cyber ICE and shit it was odd cuz the tank is two seat and cant even imagine where juddy is she only talks cant see her , and at the very end i sit in front of the tank with Pan that i didnt romance because my character is a Fe-V i guess.
but still thats kinda warm ending with a look forward flavour.

Feel free to openly talk about Judy's and Panam ending, the whole topic is spoiler-ridden

Also, I've set my sig to the summary posts, if anyone is interested.
So long story short it was by far the warmest-hearted ending with a flavour of "look forward" but the odd part is the damn tank has two seats where dafuq Juddy at speaking and shit and in the very end i sit in front with Pan and it's kinda odd as i never romanced her in the first place!

I would not say dark, it is convoluted and mysterious.

Where you die after 6 months as maybe V or clone of V. When you think about it, it is probably one of the saddest one considering there is no continuation after it, that you go away with friends, with loved ones and then you die after 6 months leaving more broken hearts than before.
Like in every almost every book this is left to you to decide how you believe you will end but everybody else believes they can help you and i see it as a good narrative for the future dlc's - Future Intro : few short missions to save your dying boddy (lenght of Jacy storyline) - after witch you are back to the new place and shit starts popping.

Last edited:
Judy with Nomad ending is clearly just weirdly spliced to just pretend to have an ending with her. Its way better with Panam as romance option. Just the whole you know, you are fucked anyways, really grinds my gears :D

I have watched youtube videos of the other 6. Ignoring the 4 where V is just plain dead, all 3 of the would-be "good" endings include the same line, i.e. that V is going to die in 6 months. Unless someone did a superb splicing job on the youtube videos, no, the secret ending and the other one that "saves" V are both like the Nomad ending, i.e. she's still dead in 6 months.
im talk about ending how you go solo. Im google i found info what in this ending vi and johnny merge, but ... info not 100% So if you complete this "solo" ending, can you spoiler what happened?
I started replaying the game from 0, and I won't get to the ending soon

Not to mention, isn't "you have a short time to live" essentially the same as "your body is alive, but Johnny's taken over." I mean, if my understanding about the Relic is correct, when it finally "kills" you it won't actually kill your corpse, it'll simply have finally erased V's entire psyche and put Johnny fully and permanently in the driver's seat, right?

In that scenario, I think it's just down to straight up brain damage (from the biochip engram), since (iirc) those endings all involve Johnny being uploaded into the network to be with Alt.

im talk about ending how you go solo. Im google i found info what in this ending vi and johnny merge, but ... info not 100% So if you complete this "solo" ending, can you spoiler what happened?
I started replaying the game from 0, and I won't get to the ending soon
V dies, and Johnny takes over to destroy Arasaka tower.

What really annoys me in Arasaka space station ending, is when Johhny starts lecturing you that "you don't get it do you", like all along V's plans were the same as Johnny. My V opposed Johnnys ideas and he is still lecturing V????

Also Johnny taking over V's body seems forced as hell in any endings. He can take over without any side effects, no existensial crisis or any similar that V get's if tries to survive. Also the fact there is definetly more of those Biochips with nanites, because Saburo's biochip was planted in Yorinabu and nanites rewrite the brain. Why it wasn't an option to make a Biochip of V and plant it back with nanites to undo what Johnnys biochip done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom