[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
V never attacks Arasaka tower, if you mean by the ending, Johnny takes control and attacks Arasaka tower.
Because its Johnnys solution which has least consequences, in other ending you attack tower self. Arasaka ending is literally selling your Soul to devil.
Try to think from logical side

I understand where you coming from. But in reality johhny deserved to live. I think only one character was evil and that was Al, she reminds of starchild from mass effect.
V is and person, just as everyone in cyberpunk, and got pretty much same ending as other characters in night City.
Might as well game just put you back in game as random npc and continue playing :shrug:

It's not a story about City, it's a astory about V, and V gets gutted for a single mistake, while Johnny gets a second fkn chance for KILLING HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE with a nuke. That is a bit flawed logic.

I understand where you coming from. But in reality johhny deserved to live. I think only one character was evil and that was Al, she reminds of starchild from mass effect.
V is and person, just as everyone in cyberpunk, and got pretty much same ending as other characters in night City.
If Jhonny deservs to live is really up to individual's judgement in this case imo. And I agree, I didn't like Alt not one bit, even tho I only met her once. So yeah, for me not liking either Jhonny nor Alt's solution, going anything but arasaka solution didn't make sense.

Because its Johnnys solution which has least consequences, in other ending you attack tower self. Arasaka ending is literally selling your Soul to devil.
Try to think from logical side
That ending where you attack tower as V is stupid as hell, unless you really like Johnny, then might as well give Johnny control.
And it is not selling your soul to the devil, V just gets consumed by Johnny.

Ok? A story isn't a mathematical proof. Everyone talking about whether the ending is bad or good is doing so based on their own preferences, unless bad writing is explicitly mentioned.
Precisely, the fact we are all here with the same issue but from multiple different perspectives. It's about how the ending negates the journey preceding it, all its decisions and emotions included. If the holo I got in the credits was of Panam at home, with our child on her knee, asking if I would make it back tonight because they miss me and love me, I would still be a little confused as to why I couldn't just play through some of that time after the fact, or why do I only get to go back to my last save and pretend V didn't have a child about 30 seconds ago?

The endings, at best, are cut short. They seem to cut off the main story prematurely, long before we can fully experience any of the brilliance of the game.

*EDIT* It almost feels like the story was cut short, maybe to make release or financial reasons, and the endings are intentionally terminal, not to fit the theme but to prevent the story from being continued by CDPR

I knew I was forgetting something. I actually have an example of a game where a completely new and different ending was added in a DLC - although, technically, it's not a game but a huge stand-alone mod for Skyrim called Enderal made by SureAI, a small studio from Germany.

the gist of it for those who don't want to play this masterpiece or don't care about the spoilers:

basically, the plot is the same as ME - there are entities that reap humanity in cycles. you are The Chosen One™ who has to stop it, but there are several twists along the way.

in the original version, there are 2 possible endings:

- you either temporarily stop the cleansing, sacrificing yourself and the whole continent to buy some time for the rest of the world;

- or you with your love interest go to an abandoned city in the sky, protected from the cleaning, in hopes of becoming guides for the next generation of humans.

both of these endings are pretty bleak because of the lore reasons and actual implications given through the story (for example you actually meet a possible survivor of the last cycle, and it doesn't look too good for either them or humanity).

however, about a year or two later SureAI made a DLC, Forgotten Stories, which adds a completely different ending. here during one of the new side quests, you can find a special flower which, when made into a potion, is said to transport the drinker into a parallel reality where everything is okay for them. the caveat is - there is no guarantee that you are being transported anywhere, you might just go into a coma and dream of "another reality" until the moment you die.

if you do take the potion in the game, you wake up on another continent, miraculously alive, with your love interest by your side. the cleansing has been stopped, for now, the continent of Enderal is destroyed, but you can actually tell other people what is going on, how the bad guys are manipulating humanity, and so on. you can actually save the world and be happy. who cares if it's a dream? what is reality, anyway? (which is literally the name of the achievement you get on steam after that ending).

if some german enthusiasts working for donations did it, why wouldn't CDPR, really?

Well, there are the higher costs and all the scheduling with potential voice actors and such. I am not saying they shouldn't do something, but whether they wil I am not too sure. They can either stand by story and just claim the players need to change their perspective. (Just saw a review today, that basically stated as much, that most people may be looking at the story from a "wrong" angle). It's also bit new territory for them, so can't be sure how they handle it, I can't remember them ever being in a position like this where people were really disappointed by their storytelling and were asking for changes.

That might lead to a happier ending, but whether it is something that's written with "Eh, let's just write something that makes them happy" or something that has a lot of thought put into it remains to be seen. I don't want to be too pessimistic, but so far none of the games that I've had problems with (ME3 latest that comes to mind), have really fixed the problems. They've put on quick fixes, but end results were rarely much more satisfying than the original.

Still it'd be interesting to see their take on the ending or how they came to write these specific options, while not leaving any endings where the main character actually survives or has a ending that serves a proper purpose.

(Sorry, if I am repeating what someone else already said, haven't caught up with the thread fully yet)

In my opinion giving your body to Johnny is the best and most bittersweet ending, i dont think if there better rationale for it. Thats why narrative so focused on helping Johnny, everyone said that V is fucked regardless, so atleast someone gets to live
I first have crafted a good relationship with Johnny, thanks to my high tolerance to assholes, so at the end came the moment of sorrow and forgiveness and V doesn't want Johnny to be archived so V lets Johhny go into her body and V gets stuck in cyberspace forever, after all he's the only one able to live in V's body without dying, then as Johnny you go to V's grave ...
and leave NC.
it was a very sad ending and I felt like I failed by saving my own character so I did a second run to chang my ending where V gets to live but Alt tells she'll die 6 months later, Judy leaves her
and V goes to the mission in space where she dies.

If Jhonny deservs to live is really up to individual's judgement in this case imo. And I agree, I didn't like Alt not one bit, even tho I only met her once. So yeah, for me not liking either Jhonny nor Alt's solution, going anything but arasaka solution didn't make sense.
Okay not liking Jhonny isn't completely true. By the end I did treat him as a semi-friend. Offered him gestures of good will, but never really agreed with him. I made it very clear from the getgo to him that my only interest is to cure myself.

You create this character and live 2 weeks of his life and make a choice for him, this is not just a resident of night city, this is the embodiment of you in this game, to put the player in the place of the main character is the goal of any game, that you would make decisions as if it were yourself, if you are ready to give your life for Johnny, then this is your choice

for me personally I think Honoka's ending was kind of a waste, dont get me wrong I love how it ends but having more choices would've been awesome. I mean I wanted my V to be evil...

The best scenario for me would've been to become Honoka's sidekick, be reinstated in arasaka as an assassin or something then having some randomly generated "arasaka's" missions pop once in awhile while continuing exploring the open world, especially for replayability. Being given a new apartment in central city and even maybe a romance option with her... I mean let's be honest V is kicking everyone's ass and has proven that she/he's the best merc around let her/him have a place at that arasaka's board table.

Exactly. Leave the world dark, that actually works for CP2077. But it's about having someone worth being a light for. Even Panam says she doesn't want to end being all alone out in the desert. Come one, CDPR, let us at least live for the small shard of happiness V has found.

Just like River in the space ending before you go, he questiones the relationship because he feels you were kind of letting him down lately, with you answering "I still need you River, there is just one thing I have to do. Until later." Then you leave for space and in come all these messages that make you even more sad, because noone has heard of you. and even in space you can communicate. that gives me certainly mixed feelings of what will come or has happened there. Just want that little light, but no, seems like we really get nothing.
I remember my V being happy with River and won´t touch this game again, until they change it .

Last edited:
I first have crafted a good relationship with Johnny, thanks to my high tolerance to assholes, so at the end came the moment of sorrow and forgiveness and V doesn't want Johnny to be archived so V lets Johhny go into her body and V gets stuck in cyberspace forever, after all he's the only one able to live in V's body without dying, then as Johnny you go to V's grave ...
and leave NC.
it was a very sad ending and I felt like I failed by saving my own character so I did a second run to chang my ending where V gets to live but Alt tells she'll die 6 months later, Judy leaves her
and V goes to the mission in space where she dies.
No she is not dying, she fly to space station where she can find smth, that can help, if you want nice end with judy, complete all panam quest

for me personally I think Honoka's ending was kind of a waste, dont get me wrong I love how it ends but having more choices would've been awesome. I mean I wanted my V to be evil...

The best scenario for me would've been to become Honoka's sidekick, be reinstated in arasaka as an assassin or something then having some randomly generated "arasaka's" missions pop once in awhile while continuing exploring the open world, especially for replayability. Being given a new apartment in central city and even maybe a romance option with her... I mean let's be honest V is kicking everyone's ass and has proven that she/he's the best merc around let her/him have a place at that arasaka's board table.
That would be a great idea for evil V roleplaying.

That is also the thing, if we wanna go by the arguement that V is a nobody in the city and just dies like everyone else, why do we have the chance to become the literal best merc in the city? Even Wakako treats us like an elite merc by the end. THat is definitely not a nobody in a city where violance is usually the answer.

No she is not dying, she fly to space station where she can find smth, that can help, if you want nice end with judy, complete all panam quest
I think she dies because oxygen is leaking out of the spacesuit and you can see she has a hard time breathing, so yeah it's guessing she dies as we don't see it till the end.
Post automatically merged:

Also I completed all Panam quests but didn't get the option to call her at the end but only Judy

Well, there are the higher costs and all the scheduling with potential voice actors and such. I am not saying they shouldn't do something, but whether they wil I am not too sure. They can either stand by story and just claim the players need to change their perspective. (Just saw a review today, that basically stated as much, that most people may be looking at the story from a "wrong" angle). It's also bit new territory for them, so can't be sure how they handle it, I can't remember them ever being in a position like this where people were really disappointed by their storytelling and were asking for changes.

That might lead to a happier ending, but whether it is something that's written with "Eh, let's just write something that makes them happy" or something that has a lot of thought put into it remains to be seen. I don't want to be too pessimistic, but so far none of the games that I've had problems with (ME3 latest that comes to mind), have really fixed the problems. They've put on quick fixes, but end results were rarely much more satisfying than the original.

Still it'd be interesting to see their take on the ending or how they came to write these specific options, while not leaving any endings where the main character actually survives or has a ending that serves a proper purpose.

(Sorry, if I am repeating what someone else already said, haven't caught up with the thread fully yet)

Enderal is fully voiced, too, in both English and German. but as I said, it took them 2 years to make the DLC. not sure anyone here agrees to wait for 2 years.

ultimately my post is just an example that such a thing possible and has been done in the past, and functions in support of the point Motsie made here. there is a big chance that everything was planned from the beginning, including ending on a cliffhanger with 6 months, and we just have to be patient. if it's true though, then their plan has backfired gloriously.

which brings us back to what most of us keep repeating - we need some reaction from CDPR. anything. yes, no, go fuck yourself, here's what's gonna happen in the DLC, you guys are so impatient. just some clarity because as of now we all are just guessing.

Top Bottom