[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Please rant away at your heart's desire!
I made a very similar post a few days ago before starting to post here and it had pretty much exactly the same thing in it as what you just wrote. You just put it more eloquently.

I went through the same steps, minus finishing all the side quests since I wanted to get rid of Jhonny. And I had the same ending as your first one. And I left with the same feeling. Except for me my romance (Kerry) wasn't even something that I cared so deeply since he really isn't my ideal romance choice.

I would have been fine with the outcome, but as you said, there is no closure on our terms. It feels unfair and down right mean from the game for the sake of being depressive.

Oh man, I went through the entire game wondering who the gay male romance was, because even if a character isn't compatible with you they still seem to give you romance dialogue options that result in them turning you down.

But damn, when I found out it was Kerry I was shocked! I don't mean based on the character, because I don't want to presume player preference, I just mean by how far into the story it was! I don't know if there is a way to trigger that any earlier in the playthrough, but for me Kerry's questline was pretty much the last thing I did in the entire game before the end. Going through like 90% of the game without any serious romance option just seems super unfair!

Even if people were happy with the character, I don't think the amount of time you get with them before the ending is balanced at all. And I feel like they're in a really similar place as River, in regards to not wanting to travel with your character out of Night City, but having a 'six months in the mansion' ending without great choice re: emotional exchange/closure.

I'm curious who all would be interested in a DLC that is some big side mission mid-game but doesn't affect the ending or a DLC that has you playing a different character entirely? Cause to me if the DLC doesn't somehow effect the ending it is worthless in my eyes. Could you guy find motivation to play it cuz I couldn't. I can barely find the motivation to start a new game as it stand right now.

Right now, not really, I might remake and play up to the point of no return but i wont finish again if I do so i can keep the illusion of choice open lol

I'm curious who all would be interested in a DLC that is some big side mission mid-game but doesn't affect the ending or a DLC that has you playing a different character entirely? Cause to me if the DLC doesn't somehow effect the ending it is worthless in my eyes. Could you guy find motivation to play it cuz I couldn't. I can barely find the motivation to start a new game as it stand right now.
Finished the game once. Uninstalled, and not planning to touch it ever again, untill they fix this ending bs. (Not going to happen probably)
DLC with different main character - not even going to look at it.
Middle game side mission DLC, not affecting the story\endings in any way - same.

Last edited:
Right now, not really, I might remake and play up to the point of no return but i wont finish again if I do so i can keep the illusion of choice open lol
maybe i´ll get to play it again, when my condition allows it. but i would only do until I played through the River storyline and side missions, so that I can keep my wish of choice.

Its because the chip is a terminal diagnosis. It kind of just lends itself well to something else that can quickly kill you with very little hope of fixing.
Except, the game doesn't really portray it this way. You work for an end goal that never materializes. It's not like RDR2, where you know it's terminal, where you accept it. The opposite in fact. The player (and V) is strung along the entire story, only to get told at the very end "nope lol :shrug:".
Post automatically merged:

You think stockholders dont want happy end?)
They should, if they want to continue the franchise. The bugs are taking the spotlight though. My YouTube recommended is filled with meme videos about the bugs. I don't think I've seen anything on the endings yet, unfortunately.

If they wanted to tell a story about Johnny thats what they should have done ffs. Seriously why have us play as V at all then and just have him die in the beginning when Dex shot him. Have Johnny take over right then and there. Why bother letting us invest our time playing as V at all then. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth that they made this whole game where your main goal is to survive as V but you can't even do that in even ONE ENDING.

Don't get me wrong I liked Johnny but the whole V deserved it and deserved to die nonsense is bs
Like others were speculating earlier. It looks like Johnny wasn't going to be as important, until Keanu Reeves was on board. Also, like I said, they tried to have their cake and eat it too. They had already marketed this game a certain way, they couldn't just COMPLETELY scrap their original plans with V.

Last edited:
I hope when more people finish there will be more backlash from the media cause the endings we have right now are absurd. I feel like bigger Youtubers will need to pick up on this if we want anything to change. However lots of them seem to be showing their true faces lately cuz they can't risk losing any potential future review copies. Right?

I am telling about dlc, they are not free like blood and wine, and in this game so muxh players stoped playing the game after news that there is no good end
No, CDPR does do a decent amount of free DLC. If they wanted to they could probably change some plans and add a free new ending in, if they really wanted. It's just probably more likely to be done coinciding with their paid dlc plans.

to be honest, in this game you have zero influence on the outcome as it is now. V just gets dragged in all this shit and couldn´t do a thing but watch. Your character loses everything and you know, if it was you on the steering wheel of the story, that would never have happened. Because we would decide almost every scene different than that autopilot we are forced to watch. thanks to that we don´t get our hearts content and that is rubbish. This doesn´t make it as a game this far. It´s just an overpriced tragedy of movie.

maybe i´ll get to play it again, when my condition allows it. but i would only do until I played through the River storyline and side missions, so that I can keep my wish of choice.
Maybe when they get the bugs fixed this will be a viable option until some DLC comes out.

I hope when more people finish there will be more backlash from the media cause the endings we have right now are absurd. I feel like bigger Youtubers will need to pick up on this if we want anything to change. However lots of them seem to be showing their true faces lately cuz they can't risk losing any potential future review copies. Right?
Hopefully. But yes, completely agreed. I've said this before, but I remember right before this game came out YouTubers "reviews" were popping up in my recommended, claiming how great an RPG this was. "RPG done right" etc. All lies, that or they didn't finish the game. Probably a combination of both. Sad, but funny at the exact same time. I still on occasion get some of these same YouTubers showing up in my recommended, I admit I did skim through some of their reviews when I was excited prior to launch - so that's probably why. All I see is the controversy around bugs, or last gen consoles.

All 7 endings needs to be edgy and dark cuz the world is dark.
Man im getting De Ja Vu every 15 minutes in here.

Uh have you even checked the source material? If not let me break it to you and some others i've seen very tense about how this game is too "edgy" by telling you that actually Cyberpunk (especially M. Pondsmith's world) is:
edgy.

If you want to play the blame game, then yes, it was the devs who are to blame, because they had an agenda and they forced it through the narrative. Rather then giving the player (as V) the option about what to do with the chip, despite the fact that V is given offers from both Dex and Evelyn (and could have even found others if she was looking for other options - such as Meredith Stout, for example), we are forced to take it to Dex (despite how silly it is considering we HAD other offers - why give the offers at all if we can't make a choice?), and he shoots V, activating the chip. Neither the player, nor V, could have anticipated that happening, and even if they could have, again, they had no choice to take it anywhere else despite the offers on the table. And that there is exactly the point. We are NEVER given the choice, because all of this is the devs using their god-tier powers to manipulate the story how they want, towards the sort of end that THEY want, regardless of how the players feel or what they might want.
I think one of the most hilarious bits about that scene is. Even their trailer lies to us, V uses their Mantis Blades and defeats Dex and his bodyguard, while Jackie dies in this cab. So another lie! :ROFLMAO: (if I remember right)

Right now I made a new character, and am refusing to go on the heist quest. So I'm gonna get as far as I can with side-missions.

I won't lie, I got my 60 dollars out of the game, but the bad-taste the ending left in my mouth has absolutely soiled my vibe with this company. I will NEVER pre-order a game again until I know it has the option of a happy ending. They hurt me in a way I didn't even know was possible.

I came to Cyberpunk with an MMOer's perspective. That is, I'm used to grindy bullshit, fluff game-play. I wasn't expecting my character to become a hero or save the world, or anything grand. But I did expect them to at least survive so I can contiune to chase the carrot on the stick and play the Skinner's Box. I was down for the shitty repetitive game-play. BECAUSE that's what an open world is to me. Also, because I am an MMO type guy -- I absolutely expect, and roll with shitty bugs. It's been par for the course for the last decade. Never fazes me.

It just seems so fucking stupid that they would design a game with an open world around all that grindy MMO type game-play and then kill off the main character. Like seriously, why pad it out then?

Bioshock: Infinite had a linear game where they basically killed you too, and the game was so short I think some people beat it in like 2-4 hours? I don't remember, I know it was remarked as being incredibly short. And some people STILL consider it their favorite game ever. So it's possible to make a decent game that kills the main character. But that kind of game is NOT an open-world side-mission fluff-fest type of game.

This was hand's down shitty game design. The type of game does not mesh well with the forced story.

====================
====================

As a separate topic. A lot of people say "Oh, it's cyberpunk -- so it should be dark

Here's my counter to that. If the cyberpunk theme is suppose to be dark and gritty -- WHY is this game filled with awesome Disney-esq characters with heart's of gold?

When I first met Vik, I was seriously paranoid he was going to fuck with me. Cyberpunk is dark--right? Nah, Vik is hand's down one of the nicest, caring, and empathetic character in this game. He helps you for free, and just wants to see you live a good life. He's rooting for you the entire time. He's like a fatherly figure.

Then you have Jackie who is a lovable goofball. Another heart of gold person. He's got a kind and sweet girlfriend, and he's trying to do right for his mother and friends. His past may be dark, but he wasn't.

And the list goes on and on. Mitch and Pam are great characters. Mitch and Vik could probably be best buddies if they met.

Takemura was basically a corporate shill, and EVEN he believed in honor and ethics. Hanako wasn't an evil dictator, and agreed to listen to your story out of respect for Takemura.

----

What I'm getting at, is this game specifically convinced and led players to believe that it wasn't a dark and evil place, because the characters we met and interacted with were all really positive, hopeful, and optimistic.

If their goal was to pull some bullshit "subversion of expectations," by making most of the main cast great people, but somehow fucking you over at the very last moment and pissing everyone off -- then they achieved that.

But all of this stuff combined. The open world, the optimistic build up, and this ending? Absolute garbage.

I probably could have wrapped my head around a self-sacrifice choice for almost any of those 'heart of gold' characters listed above, but not for fucking Johnny. God do I hate that character so much. I absolutely loathe that Keanu Reeves is literally the face of my frustration, because the actor isn't a bad guy. This is the one time I really really wish they didn't use a celebrity for such a despicable character.

He's basically the Joffrey or Ramsey of this game to me now.

Uh have you even checked the source material? If not let me break it to you and some others i've seen very tense about how this game is too "edgy" by telling you that actually Cyberpunk (especially M. Pondsmith's world) is:
edgy.
Stop it. I might cut myself with that much edge.

Knowing how little agency you have in the game, in regards to ending, really does change how it feels to play it. Going in, pretty much every piece of dialogue was interesting, had to try and start another playthrough, but just can't get into it. Especially now with all those videos about minmaxing and farming things to get your damage to ridiculous scale in a few hours, even the gameplay is looking like it won't be able to hold the interest for too long.

Shame really, I had high hopes that this game would be the one to top the amount of value I was getting out of Mass Effect games and Skyrim. Still hoping they'll be able to turn things around.

To anyone saying that the ending should be nihilistic because this is cyberpunk, do you know how the friendship with Johnny ending goes? It still ends with either dying in 6 months or assimilating with Alt, however just before that...

You march into Arasaka, one of the biggest corps, alone, kill dozens of men in the lobby, alone, take an elevator down to kill dozens of more men, robots, and mechs, alone, march up to the core to fight and kill Adam Smasher, alone, none of V's friends have to die in the finale, and finally you upload Alt who ultimately spells doom for Arasaka.

Granted V still has a bad outcome in these endings, but is this John fucking Wick ending compatible with the grimdark nihilistic world of cyberpunk?
Sure, if you were Johnny Silverhand and not V.

I could see that you were looking for pure RPG experience, where you are tossed in world to roam it free. There nothing wrong is game is streamlined, and I would call it forced more like plot progression.
I think you summ it up that one group of people wanted pure RPG and other were fine with more streamlined RPG. Cant blame you dude
Or rather we expected to get the RPG experience that CDPR marketed for years? Yikes dude. :facepalm:

The integration point for a happy ending should be the epilogue after solo assaulting the tower and then choosing to keep the body and let Johny leave with Alt. For fucks sake, it was so damn hard to discover and go through this one that im not satisfied with the result at all. No difference between a secret ending and Rogue's path, except Rogue survival. But who cares about that milf?

Top Bottom