[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
A "good" ending can only happen if there is an option to not get hit with Soulkiller once you jack into Mikoshi. And the only option not to do that, is to commit suicide.

The original V dies, in every ending. And in some endings V's copy either goes to cyberspace, to be gobbled up by Alt, or goes back to their body, to die in 6 months.

The V that we start the game as, has no chance at survival. And that's lazy and bad writing and not worthy of an RPG that promised meaningful "choices".

True but it wouldn't be that hard to do. First Alt gives you the choice to get hit by soulkiller, instead of taking it on herself to just do it.

Secondly, if you choose not too, V is placed back into her body, into a medical coma, Hell the Emperor lived for decades in his sarcophagus V could live for a while longer in the same basic tech.

This you do a run with Panam and your romance option to find a piece of cyberwear that will stop the process and allow V to survive indefinitely in her body. Hell if the devs already made magic cyberwear in the Relic, they can make magic anti-Relic cyberwear.

Four V lives and decides whether to stay in NC and die in a blaze of glory, or go off with the Nomads and live a nice quiet peaceful life with their romance option.

NWN2 had one ending, and any variables were pretty much ignored in mask of the betrayer. MotB was almost a stand alone game with the same protagonist.

Technically there are two, the evil ending and the good ending, with the good ending being canon. The effects of your choices during NWN2 were shown in the ending slides, the docks in the city, the thieves guild, the city watch, the druids grove etc

MOTB is a continuation of the story of your character, your character doesn't just die under the rocks.

You're right about Cyberpunk making it alot harder to continue the story in a convincing matter, they wrote themselves into a corner here. I think the best option will be a DLC the gives an additional ending, similar to how Pillars of Eternity 2 had a DLC that effected the main ending (sorta, they didnt go all the way with it)

Dunno, don't rly care much about romances for some reason, sometimes you can't have it all. I will enjoy even the smallest achievement that I can get.
for me except survival that´s the only achievement. But to be honest, if there were no romances to get, i would have probably less problems with the dying endings, because you would´ve get nothing from being alive then. your life would still be miserable without that light of love.

Yeah, at the start V is in bad shape, but is getting better just for them to come and say nope, you are dying. Forget there are nanites that can fix neurological brain diseases.
You can even solve the Rubik's cube by the end.

for me except survival that´s the only achievement. But to be honest, if there were no romances to get, i would have probably less problems with the dying endings, because you would´ve get nothing from being alive then. your life would still be miserable without that light of love.
sounds a bit cheesy maybe, but I´m a woman, so maybe it´s that. We love romances more than males somehow.

So I missed something somewhere (or maybe it's already been brought up somewhere in the last 154 pages) but why does the engram/copy of V that gets reinserted back into his/her body still end up dying after 6 months?

Here's my understanding/confusion:

When V 'dies' in Act 1 the biochip starts overwriting the host body's brain to suit the engram stored on it (Johnny). This starts slowly killing/erasing V's consciousness while both occupy V's body. Later, Alt removes both Johnny and V from V's body to "disentangle" them. After (if Johnny goes into cyberspace) she can put V's engram back into his/her body. Shouldn't this initiate the same process of overwriting the host body to suit the inserted engram that started erasing you, to begin with? This time, overwriting V's already partially overwritten brain to suit their own engram?

Alt says your brain is too "changed" to suit Johnny's engram, which is why it won't accept you, but I don't get why the same process that changed V's brain in the first place can be harnessed to change it back.

So I missed something somewhere (or maybe it's already been brought up somewhere in the last 154 pages) but why does the engram/copy of V that gets reinserted back into his/her body still end up dying after 6 months?

Here's my understanding/confusion:

When V 'dies' in Act 1 the biochip starts overwriting the host body's brain to suit the engram stored on it (Johnny). This starts slowly killing/erasing V's consciousness while both occupy V's body. Later, Alt removes both Johnny and V from V's body to "disentangle" them. After (if Johnny goes into cyberspace) she can put V's engram back into his/her body. Shouldn't this initiate the same process of overwriting the host body to suit the inserted engram that started erasing you, to begin with? This time, overwriting V's already partially overwritten brain to suit their own engram?

Alt says your brain is too "changed" to suit Johnny's engram, which is why it won't accept you, but I don't get why the same process that changed V's brain in the first place can be harnessed to change it back.
Plot armor for, you guessed it, Johnny.

I don't care about romance per say, but if you're going to do it, do it right. EIther make them flings, or make them actual romance, don't make them flings that after you've done the deed is considered a "romance" but impacts the game not at all expect for three canned lines that have no impact or bearing, and a cheesy ending voice mail.

Or don't pull a Panam, and make a character so central to the story, but lock the romance behind a gender lock, so that in the ending only half of the sexes can fully enjoy the full ending with her, and the other half gets a tossed in Judy, that doesn't help any straight females at all, or gay males.

I've said before, the concept of a 'soul' is so freaking esoteric, that I really doubt in all the tech that the Cyberpunk's world has created, that they'd be able to detect if a soul existed in a creature or not.

The point we should be focusing on is 'consciousness'. The awareness that you are you, that you are self-aware of who and what you are. That's what needs to be maintained through this whole thing. Soulkiller being worded the way it was, because Alt didn't name it, but she did create it. However, I think she was giving a flare for the dramatic when she stated 'that's what it did'. I say bull, if Arasaka knew how to kill souls, I feel like the landscape of the game would be drastically different.

A lot of this depends on interpretation and perspective. I'm still on the fence about it personally.

But the six months thing is still BS and outright arbitrary.

Last edited:
Excuse me? How is this any less magical than Netrunner's plugging their brains into a computer, Rogue AI's in cyberspace, and the data stream that Soulkiller uses to transfer the contents of a persons mind into aforementioned cyberspace? Science Fiction operates on a level of magic that is somewhat believable.

Leave the realism argument at the door when talking about the wacky stuff that happens in this universe (and all sci-fi in general).
The difference is between something that might exist in the future, and data transfer which just totally go against physics hence will never exist.

Besides, even Star Trek doesn't transfer data, but matter, so it's not the same problem as Soulkiller.

Buddhist religion (symbolically dominant throughout the game) doesn't believe in the concept of the soul (Anatta). In fact, no one even knows what a soul actually is. It's such a nebulous concept that Soulkiller is just a name derived from Alt's own superstition that a soul is a physical, tangible entity.

Alt saying you're a copy can be both true and not true. V's consciousness is maintained in the transfer in the same way Picard's consciousness is maintained after teleportation. Picard is just as much a CTRL+X/CTRL+V entity.
I was never under the impression that Alt was referring to some kind of literal spiritual soul, especially now that she's more AI than human at this point, so if something is "lost" when someone is turned into an engram it has to be that sense of self.

The Star Trek comparisons aren't really relevant, because in Star Trek it's more of a "this is how it works, just accept it". In Cyberpunk this issue of something being lost in the copy process is directly brought up.

I don't care about romance per say, but if you're going to do it, do it right. EIther make them flings, or make them actual romance, don't make them flings that after you've done the deed is considered a "romance" but impacts the game not at all expect for three canned lines that have no impact or bearing, and a cheesy ending voice mail.

Or don't pull a Panam, and make a character so central to the story, but lock the romance behind a gender lock, so that in the ending only half of the sexes can fully enjoy the full ending with her, and the other half gets a tossed in Judy, that doesn't help any straight females at all, or gay males.

also for some reason female V has more sexual tension with Panam than she ever does with Judy. at least in polish dub their interactions are incredibly charged, whereas every time I talk to Judy it's more of a tsundere scenario, which I can't say I care much for (unless it's Yen).

Earlier I asked who here would want DLC if it didn't either expand on the ending and or add on an additional ending and I gotta say the amount of people who wanted that is almost none. Because no one wants to play a DLC that seems meaningless in comparison to the ending.

We know there will be major DLC's we just don't know what. So the story isn't over contrary to what some may think.

There is the option to expand on some endings however this would be somewhat invaliding to the other endings but it's not impossible. I'll quote myself from earlier on what I think a happy medium for DLC could be.

Honestly my favorite option is a DLC mid-game that unlocks a side story that could add on a new ending without affecting the old ones. Like right now you can play the game without completing Panam's sidequests however it will lock you out of her factions ending. So like you help out certain people and unlock a new ending. Someone mentioned Biotechnica earlier and that could be a cool addition.

I think even if V's demise is certain, the people V helped along the way really shows the true character and reward. The journey wasn't completely futile because of the people V helped set on the right path.

From what I understand the biochip malfunctioned when you were shot in the head, causing it to prematurely complete its original function (rewire the mind and body). When you're reconnected to your body, you aren't doing so through the biochip. That is more or less non-functional since it has completed the assimilation process (mostly). So the body, which has the neurological makeup of Johnny, is seeing the remaining neurological makeup of V as an intruder. It's like MS where your immune system gets confused and attacks your central nervous system.

I was never under the impression that Alt was referring to some kind of literal spiritual soul, especially now that she's more AI than human at this point, so if something is "lost" when someone is turned into an engram it has to be that sense of self.

The Star Trek comparisons aren't really relevant, because in Star Trek it's more of a "this is how it works, just accept it". In Cyberpunk this issue of something being lost in the copy process is directly brought up.

Alt made up the name when she was still alive.

Star Trek is also completely relevant because it dabbles in the same science-fiction subject matter that Cyberpunk does. The general concept of streaming your brain functions to cyberspace is completely related to the teleportation paradox, an aspect of which is used dominantly in Star Trek.

I'm not saying you're wrong and that I am right. The reality is that this is an ambiguous subject matter, and that the concept has been used in other mediums. There's no definitive answer to it and I think that anyone attempting to claim otherwise is ignoring the external discussion revolving around the nature of self and consciousness. Frankly, we don't know what happens to 'us' after a teleportation of some kind. It is quite literally impossible to know what happens.

Last edited:
(sorry for my english I speak german)

I followed the game since I have heard arround 2011 rumors that there is someting in making.

I have long not preorderd any game....Cyberpunk was the first since I think 10 years or more...
and it´s horrible.
Why you "CDP" make a RPG? Why you said in the past "you can´t save the world but you can save yourself"?
In all endings V has to die really?

I have not read anything about the story befor I had my first playtrough (Nomand/Rogue Ending).....I have done all sidequests/jobs and and and....made every Mission, helped here and there.........then in epilog i hear that V dies in time. Made me not happy....so I searched the WWW. What have i done wrong? And I found out that all endings are leading in death....FUCKING SHIT. There are 7 Endings and all lead to death? Fuck you!
I hope the "share price" will drop more and more.
FUCK! There should be a way to have a V that has a long life. With ups and downs...

That is just shit. That is cheapest story writting. The game it self is great....but ending is for the ass....all ways lead to death for V... no sence for another playtrough. Rename the game in "Cyberpunk 2077 Johnny Silverhand", delete the Charakter editor and put the Cyberpunk 2077 Keanus Reeves in the Place"
FUCK STORY
I want my money back.

You lied about
"you can´t save the world but you can save yourself"
"about the rumors after the first delay. Cause of the bad performance of the console versions"
"about the impact of dessisions we will have"
and more

Have you not have recognised the MassEffect3 Ending Shitstorm???

really .... I WANT MY MONEY BACK
I don´t play video games for only sad endings. Reallife is ....hard enough. Yes there should be bad endings when you did something wrong or really stupid by own/player desision. But not only bad endings for thing you did not deside by yourself. There always should be a way out of it. 7 Endings....and not 1 is .... ah fuck.

Last edited:
Ahh im starting to loose hope. I get that they cant just fix it but were seeing nothing about anything. I need something else to do i think. Been spending way to much time on here discussing this cluster f-word.

Top Bottom