[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
This really annoyed me as it is exactly what I saw Jonny as the entire way through. A clever program mimicking a personality of someone who is dead. Yet I could not take the story in this direction. You have no choice but to treat Johnny as a real living person who is trapped in your head. Sure you can refuse to give him control and miss out on a bunch of the games content, but you can never put him in his place.

And on top that, I have no sympathy for him at all. He is a selfish ego maniac who cares for nothing but himself. Constantly F'ing over V for stupid personal gains. Never remorseful for his actions

Lets not forget he pulled a 9/11 on US soil that killed over 4000 people, irradiated thousands more and accomplished nothing since it was just office workers and security staff plus other civilians who died, and why? couse sad :(
But thats ok, Hes got the same face and voice as one of the most likeable and respectable actors of our age, feels more like a disservice to Keanu Reeves than anything personally. But hey, if it makes people actually be able to swallow Johnny as 'likeable' then i guess?

Lets not forget he pulled a 9/11 on US soil that killed over 4000 people, irradiated thousands more and accomplished nothing since it was just office workers and security staff plus other civilians who died, and why? couse sad :(
But thats ok, Hes got the same face and voice as one of the most likeable and respectable actors of our age, feels more like a disservice to Keanu Reeves than anything personally. But hey, if it makes people actually be able to swallow Johnny as 'likeable' then i guess?
It's actually 10-12 thousand people

I liked your whole post, I only shortened it to highlight that sentence, which makes a very good point.

Many others get what they wanted, only V has to die.

Judy and Panam get what they wanted if we do all their quests.
Johnny gets a new body and can start a new life.
If Johnny goes into cyberspace he loses nothing, since he already is an engram and AI Alt will likely support him.,
In the Arasaka ending Saburo gets Yorinobu's body and a new life. His rogue son is punished, the Arasaka clan is more powerful than before.
Takemura gets his job back, maybe he will have a rocky ride at first, cause he did not protect Saburo, but I think his efforts will likely be rewarded.
Hellman is back in Arasaka as a scientist, they probably forgave him his defection.
You are really oversimplifying it, just like the endings.

Thanks for trying Misty, but the game devs won't let me....

thx4tryin.JPG

And on top that, I have no sympathy for him at all. He is a selfish ego maniac who cares for nothing but himself. Constantly F'ing over V for stupid personal gains. Never remorseful for his actions
Agree. I hate the mf, and the way how writers pushing him everywhere.
Hell, if you wanted him so bad, should just make the whole game about him. Make him the main character.
And for those who like him - try to put yourself on V's place. Would you like the brain cancer that killing you, constantly trolling, and making fun of you? I wouldn't.
I wanted him out of V's head the moment I met him.

And I can't agree with the people who compare RDR2 with CP2077 or ME3 with CP2077 in the sense of the endings:

[...]

And about RDR2, it was clear from the very beginnig what will happen, the game is not about choices. There is no feeling of responsibility for the protagonist's main choices or for his way of thinking through the game. I am not able to count minor decisions and moral system as making choices. It is not an RPG, but CP2077 seems to be one. I saw "98%" stuff, but I never calculated it, as probably many other people, and I have no intention in it even if it seems to be very real.
Moreover, you can play through the game without killing a lot of people, specific implants could allow you that. Small feature, slightly bugged, but make you feel more responsible for your playthrough as V. In RDR series I can't go through the game without killing.
Damn, maybe leaving the gang with your beloved one would be the better option, or getting somewhere warm and dry, but you are not given the option to make that decision.

Personally, I believe that great RPG game should give you options to take decisions which affect your final result in more ways than simply cosmetic changes.
Yes, this. And to add to the whole RDR2 comparison: The whole game is about bloody redemption. It's even in the title, who would suspect a happy end there? And that is how the story ends. It feels complete. Loose ends are tied up, there is closure.
In Cyberpunk, the whole story revolves around the question: "Is it better to burn out like the brightest star, or to simply fade away?". It was always said how choices matter in this ROLEPLAYING GAME, so of course the player thinks he can at least find his own answer to that central question. You can never do that.
And in the end, well, there is no actual end. There are way too many open questions that are never answered: how does V live in the 6 remaining months, how did V become the "afterlife legend", will he find a cure in the end, who is Mr. Blue Eyes, what happens to side-character XY, will there be a new corporate war...
The story just does not feel complete in any way to me. There is a reason why open-ends are more of an artistic-indie game/movie/book kind of thing.

In my opinion, bad endings (or bittersweet ones) in the games with choices are: perfect for the critics, bad for the players and, I hope, disastrous for future sales
The problem is not that these endings exist, it is that there is no alternative. I guess you mean it that way, but better to clarify that again before someone bursts in here and says "that's the genre".
But I agree: The mainstream audience this game was targeted at, just tends to enjoy happy (or at least grey) endings more, and having the possibility to reach an ending like that, does not force anyone to go for it. If you want some very dystopian and sad end, go for it. There are zero reasons to be against more replay value, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
They promised one free dlc. So not really a paywall if dlc will address endings in any way. Still, with current state of things I still believe endings are ok as they are, and would be better if there would be clarification as to why we can't save V. Meanwhile CDPR fixes way more pressing issues with the game and adds more to the game of what was promised. Also haven't seen Mike do any reaction to current state of things.

Yep, all is fine. I have a friend at CDRed who just messaged me the template for the "Extended Ending DLC", of course adjusted to their own game.

Agree. I hate the mf, and the way how writers pushing him everywhere.
Hell, if you wanted him so bad, should just make the whole game about him.
And for those who like him - try to put yourself on V's place. Would you like the brain cancer that killing you, constantly trolling, and making fun of you? I wouldn't.
I wanted him out of V's head the moment I met him.
Yes. The whole first scene where Johnny assaults V just made me feel uncomfortable. It is especially uncomfortable playing a female V. And then, in the dinner scene he is suddenly all buddie with you, lol no thank you very much. And over the course of the whole story, he never changes. He is always blaming everything on Arasaka, continues to pursue his revenge, and, if I remember correctly, even defends detonating a nuke that kills thousands.

What I couldn’t understand with the main story narrative is why Alt didn’t use V to cross the Blackwall when V was getting help from the Voodoo Boys. For whatever reason V can cross the Blackwall and carry an engram construct with them.

So why didn’t Alt just have the Voodoo Boys load a copy of her engram or a fragment of its code into an auxiliary shard inserted in V? Then task V with inserting that shard into whatever dataport Alt wanted; there by allowing Alt to infiltrate whatever systems she wanted. Including attacking and removing the Blackwall AI and going after Arasaka’s severs herself; as now she would exist on both sides of the wall.

Then Alt could have just used the Voodoo Boy’s equipment along with Arasaka’s servers to separate Johnny from V. I mean if Johnny’s engram could fit onto a shard that could be slotted into anyone then there couldn’t be that much data that needed to be separated. Even if Alt needed to use Soulkiller to save V by making a copy; V’s engram should be small enough to fit on a shard.

So, all Alt would need is a bit more than two shards worth of storage space and processing power. Mean she is just moving data around at that point. If that happened then V could have more that six months to live as the nanites damage would have be minimalized.

What I couldn’t understand with the main story narrative is why Alt didn’t use V to cross the Blackwall when V was getting help from the Voodoo Boys. For whatever reason V can cross the Blackwall and carry an engram construct with them.

So why didn’t Alt just have the Voodoo Boys load a copy of her engram or a fragment of its code into an auxiliary shard inserted in V? Then task V with inserting that shard into whatever dataport Alt wanted; there by allowing Alt to infiltrate whatever systems she wanted. Including attacking and removing the Blackwall AI and going after Arasaka’s severs herself; as now she would exist on both sides of the wall.

Then Alt could have just used the Voodoo Boy’s equipment along with Arasaka’s servers to separate Johnny from V. I mean if Johnny’s engram could fit onto a shard that could be slotted into anyone then there couldn’t be that much data that needed to be separated. Even if Alt needed to use Soulkiller to save V by making a copy; V’s engram should be small enough to fit on a shard.

So, all Alt would need is a bit more than two shards worth of storage space and processing power. Mean she is just moving data around at that point. If that happened then V could have more that six months to live as the nanites damage would have be minimalized.
Probably, but would not have been as edgy :giveup:

And in the end, well, there is no actual end. There are way too many open questions that are never answered: how does V live in the 6 remaining months, how did V become the "afterlife legend", will he find a cure in the end, who is Mr. Blue Eyes, what happens to side-character XY, will there be a new corporate war...
The story just does not feel complete in any way to me. There is a reason why open-ends are more of an artistic-indie game/movie/book kind of thing.

There is this huge chunk of North Oaks (behind the wall) that looks like a resort of some kind. There's concept art of it on the official twitter, but the 3D model of the building is all there albeit incomplete.

Kind of expecting a Hearts of Stone scenario. HoS fleshed out a big chunk of Velen which originally felt incomplete and empty.

The Afterlife legend ending is the biggest joke and time leap. As if Arasaka wouldn't send every cyber assassin they have after the guy who just stormed into Mikoshi, uploaded a hostile AI and let her assimilate every stored engram. Biggest bounty since 2023...

It's never explained how Engram V or Terror Johnny get out of Mikoshi alive....

I heard wrong by the way, I watched the actual news report in-game the other day. He killed 12000 with the initial blast, and an unspecified number were killed due to radiation sickness.

Same way it is never explained why Johnny Silverhand raid with Morgan Blackhand, Rogue, Shaitan, Thompson and Spider Murphy to Arasaka towers supported by militech are still alive. Johnny got flatlined by Smasher, not completely but still. Smasher and Blackhand were left to their duel even after boom. But how come others are alive and fine. Like Rogue is completely ok after what 50 years after? Also why Blackhand or Shaitan are not in Silverhands memory about the raid?

Same way it is never explained why Johnny Silverhand raid with Morgan Blackhand, Rogue, Shaitan, Thompson and Spider Murphy to Arasaka towers supported by militech are still alive. Johnny got flatlined by Smasher, not completely but still. Smasher and Blackhand were left to their duel even after boom. But how come others are alive and fine. Like Rogue is completely ok after what 50 years after? Also why Blackhand or Shaitan are not in Silverhands memory about the raid?
His memories have been altered somehow. It's either that or CDPR did a shitty retcon. If it's the latter I hope Pondsmith won't consider it canon.

His memories have been altered somehow. It's either that or CDPR did a shitty retcon. If it's the latter I hope Pondsmith won't consider it canon.
Same way in canon it was Blackhand who planted the bomb and got ambushed by Smasher and if I remember correctly Smasher was delayed by Shaitan to allow alive members not including Morgan to delta. So yeah. Memory of Johnny being big duck in the house like in Schwarzenegger best years is cool and all, but rockerboy can't be a match to actual solo in one versus one matchup. Especially one that is more chrome then flesh.

Top Bottom