[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I don't like sad endings in video games.

I play video games to escape shitty reality, not have my nose rubbed in it. If I want to feel like garbage I can just turn on the news, or look out my window.

I HOPE that the endings where V chooses to live out her final months are just a cliffhanger for continuing her story in DLC, and not some attempt at being edgy and dark. She lives in a cyberpunk world, there's no reason some super-scientist can't cure her - for a price.

JJ Abrams once said, "I will take my characters to Hell, but I won't leave them there."

If CDPR's intention is the leave V in Hell, then I will finally consider my purchase of this game to be a waste of money.

And beyond the story - this is an RPG. I don't build characters from the ground up over dozens or a hundred hours only to have that investment -- and it is an investment -- invalidated by game designers who want to be edgelords.

I don't like sad endings in video games.

I play video games to escape shitty reality, not have my nose rubbed in it. If I want to feel like garbage I can just turn on the news, or look out my window.

I HOPE that the endings where V chooses to live out her final months are just a cliffhanger for continuing her story in DLC, and not some attempt at being edgy and dark. She lives in a cyberpunk world, there's no reason some super-scientist can't cure her - for a price.

JJ Abrams once said, "I will take my characters to Hell, but I won't leave them there."

If CDPR's intention is the leave V in Hell, then I will finally consider my purchase of this game to be a waste of money.

And beyond the story - this is an RPG. I don't build characters from the ground up over dozens or a hundred hours only to have that investment -- and it is an investment -- invalidated by game designers who want to be edgelords.
As Johny said in the end, wrong people, wrong city.

personally i loved the endings of of the game... they fit with the tone of the game and the tone of the world the game is set in. that said 2 of the 2 endings i've done have V moving towards a fix for the condition he/she is in... havent done the trust corpo ending yet... lol or the solo run...

Well, whatever Johnny says, I have no interest in playing Cyberpunk with anyone other than V. And that means, continuing her story - not some flashback side mission or whatever. So if CDPR's intention is to have us pick up a new character, or keep her mired in a doomed state, I will be skipping that DLC.
Your call. For me, V is not a hero at all, and definitelly not a hero of this story. Just regular, run-of-the-mill gonk, who, in order to survive, serves as doll to real protagonist — Johny. He is asshole, though, no doubt about it, but Cyberpunk is his show.
Post automatically merged:

personally i loved the endings of of the game... they fit with the tone of the game and the tone of the world the game is set in. that said 2 of the 2 endings i've done have V moving towards a fix for the condition he/she is in... havent done the trust corpo ending yet... lol or the solo run...
Yeah, cruel, violent world, same people, and suddenly a happily hereafter? Developers could add one, where V is sacrificing every friend and loved one to simply live longer than 6 months.

Last edited:
Your call. For me, V is not a hero at all, and definitelly not a hero of this story. Just regular, run-of-the-mill gonk, who, in order to survive, serves as doll to real protagonist — Johny. He is asshole, though, no doubt about it, but Cyberpunk is his show.

If Johhny was the hero, we would play as Johnny from the beginning. The hero is V. You start with V, experience Johnny through her eyes, control her movements, choose her skills, select her clothes, decide if she is going to be a nethacker or a street samurai, hang out in her apartment, meet her friends, try to get her laid or nurture a serious romantic relationship, get her drunk, and decide whether she uses non-lethal means or murders hundreds of street hobos in cold blood. Whether V is a 'hero' is irrelevant - she is the protagonist, and she is the one we invest time in creating.

Yeah, cruel, violent world, same people, and suddenly a happily hereafter? Developers could add one, where V is sacrificing every friend and loved one to simply live longer than 6 months
If Johhny was the hero, we would play as Johnny from the beginning. The hero is V. You start with V, experience Johnny through her eyes, control her movements, choose her skills, select her clothes, decide if she is going to be a nethacker or a street samurai, hang out in her apartment, meet her friends, try to get her laid or nurture a serious romantic relationship, get her drunk, and decide whether she uses non-lethal means or murders hundreds of street hobos in cold blood. Whether V is a 'hero' is irrelevant - she is the protagonist, and she is the one we invest time in creating.
Dramatically this is Johny's story, his plot, his development, his friends and enemies who is relevant to the story. V can nassacres hobos in hundreds, get drunk, love and befriend, but all along the road he serves as Johny's doll. But i can imagine, how it pains some gamers, to play not real hero, but a sidekick at best, and unwilling host at worst.

Yeah, cruel, violent world, same people, and suddenly a happily hereafter? Developers could add one, where V is sacrificing every friend and loved one to simply live longer than 6 months.

V is a merc - the preferred outcome is that she survive to have more adventures, which we players can then enjoy as gamers. You kind of have to divorce the story from the gameplay a bit.

Yeah, cruel, violent world, same people, and suddenly a happily hereafter? Developers could add one, where V is sacrificing every friend and loved one to simply live longer than 6 months
Dramatically this is Johny's story, his plot, his development, his friends and enemies who is relevant to the story. V can nassacres hobos in hundreds, get drunk, love and befriend, but all along the road he serves as Johny's doll. But i can imagine, how it pains some gamers, to play not real hero, but a sidekick at best, and unwilling host at worst.

Sorry, I don't see it that way and I don't play it that way. But it's a very edgelord take, though. Johnny is just a ghost hitching a ride in my game, and I'm the one who finishes his story for him, since he failed to do it himself.

V is a merc - the preferred outcome is that she survive to have more adventures, which we players can then enjoy as gamers. You kind of have to divorce the story from the gameplay a bit.

Sorry, I don't see it that way and I don't play it that way. But it's a very edgelord take, though. Johnny is just a ghost hitching a ride in my game, and I'm the one who finishes his story for him, since he failed to do it himself.
Life is cruel. Life in Cyberpunk is 11 of 10 cruel. And most common outcome for merc in Night City is violent death at young age without any recognition. A mere 1 percent survives long enough to retire in relative wealthy life, like Rogue with her bar. A mere handful become legends. V tried, and he failed. Sadly, but this is reality of merc life in NC.

Actually, as I think about it, this doesn't make sense from a storytelling perspective either. Its like saying the new Star Wars movies aren't about Rey because everything that happens to her is the result of things Han, Luke and Leia did during their adventures. The third trilogy is very much Rey's story though, because a new generation (Rey, V) fixing the failures and errors of the previous generation (Luke, Johnny) is a very mythic storyline.

Maybe you just have a crush on Keanu? No judgement, he's America's Boyfriend.

Life is cruel. Life in Cyberpunk is 11 of 10 cruel. And most common outcome for merc in Night City is violent death at young age without any recognition. A mere 1 percent survives long enough to retire in relative wealthy life, like Rogue with her bar. A mere handful become legends. V tried, and he failed. Sadly, but this is reality of merc life in NC.

Even if we pretend that this world offers only edge, why do we have to play some goon, who loses?

It's like being in the Witcher Universe and playing some Temerian peasant, because "Velen is 11 out of 10 cruel and some lowlife farmer failed to become something greater"

Edit: And like I said before. Keep everything as it is. Offer non-edgy endings to those who want them. I will gladly take these even if I go against the "canon-edgelord setting" with that.
Everyone is catered to. Win.

I see where you're coming from, kind of like the Matrix, right? Classic cyberpunk story, and Neo dies at the end. Very gloomy, left the audience feeling down and shitty by the time the credits rolled.

Oh, wait, Neo is coming back for the new movie.

So maybe continuing the adventure of the main character is more important from a narrative and financial perspective than placating edgelords.

Pssst! Don't freak out, but Trinity is coming back too!

What did you love about V getting Soulkilled, being told that you only have 6 months to live, and then forced to leave NC?

I love Keanu Reeves as an actor and his various characters.
I fucking LOATHE Johnny because of poor writing, nonsensical reasoning and utter stupidity of character as a whole.

It's my opinion the character sucks but it's fact the writing is unfinished.

I love Keanu Reeves as an actor and his various characters.
I fucking LOATHE Johnny because of poor writing, nonsensical reasoning and utter stupidity of character as a whole.

It's my opinion the character sucks but it's fact the writing is unfinished.

Meh, I think Johnny should be seen separate from the dissappointing endings.

I love to hate him. He is such an asshole and I hate what he is doing to V, but that actually is good writing imo.
Pretty similar to why I like Joffrey, Moff Gideon or Ramsey Bolton.

Actually, as I think about it, this doesn't make sense from a storytelling perspective either. Its like saying the new Star Wars movies aren't about Rey because everything that happens to her is the result of things Han, Luke and Leia did during their adventures. The third trilogy is very much Rey's story though, because a new generation (Rey, V) fixing the failures and errors of the previous generation (Luke, Johnny) is a very mythic storyline.
Didn't you know the story of the witcher isn't actually about Geralt?

I mean being that Johnny is a terrorist, the biggest achievement here is making players root for him.

Maybe you just have a crush on Keanu? No judgement, he's America's Boyfriend.
JJ Abrams trilogy simply doesn't exist for me at all, i deny everything Dysney has done to SW.
As for Keanu, i admire his generosity as a person, but that's pretty much everything.

Keep everything as it is. Offer non-edgy endings to those who want them. I will gladly take these even if I go against the "canon-edgelord setting" with that.

Completely agree with this - there should be dark endings to please those who like such things. V dies weeping in despair clutching Judy's severed head, and feral pigs desecrate her rotting corpse after. Whatever floats some people's boats.

But there should be the OPPOSITE of that as well. More importantly, this should allow people to continue playing the character we nurtured over hundreds of hours.

Even if we pretend that this world offers only edge, why do we have to play some goon, who loses?

It's like being in the Witcher Universe and playing some Temerian peasant, because "Velen is 11 out of 10 cruel and some lowlife farmer failed to become something greater"

Edit: And like I said before. Keep everything as it is. Offer non-edgy endings to those who want them. I will gladly take these even if I go against the "canon-edgelord setting" with that.
I don't mind good ending, players deserve it.

Top Bottom