[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I didn't complete the game yet but I'm seriously very ok with there being no "happy" ending. As long as it makes sense in-universe and does not narrow down to a cookie-cutter blue, green, and red choice. ... looking at you Mass Effect 3.
To me the endings were satisfying, and made sense in the world/lore as well, but I am far from being a Cyberpunk lore expert. While all were bittersweet on some level, some were more hopeful than others. Also, the endings have way more diversity than ME 3. The whole last mission can be different based on your choices.

Last edited:
No I'm not "happy" with these endings but I'm not cutting my wrists like the circlejerk in this thread either. There is plenty of optimism in V's fate, objectively presented within the game itself by the designers. But people here are just intentionally ignoring it so they can wallow in their sadness together and expect an apology from CDPR or something.

you are quite wrong in your assessment. no one here is ignoring the Panam ending, far from it. but there are people who don't like this ending, don't want this ending. it shouldn't be the only go-to ending for people to feel good. players should be satisfied with what they get, happy or unhappy, no matter how they play. this is the point of role-playing in games like that, and this is what's completely missing - player's agency.

The problem with mid game DLC is it completely ruins the sense of urgency in the main story. Given the game itself has an ambiguous ending it's highly likely it would be continued upon. There are so many paths forward I'm baffled people don't see it.

Go on YouTube and look at the reception on the Panam ending. Go on reddit and look at the discussion regarding the possibilities of the future. The reception is mainly bittersweet to optimistic.

No I'm not "happy" with these endings but I'm not cutting my wrists like the circlejerk in this thread either. There is plenty of optimism in V's fate, objectively presented within the game itself by the designers. But people here are just intentionally ignoring it so they can wallow in their sadness together and expect an apology from CDPR or something.

Well, I came here to vent and find meaning in all of this.
The lot of people with echoing thoughts were helpful to not feel alone.

However there were also people who pointed out things that made me feel more positive about it all.

Right now I accepted the endings for what they are and try to work on myself seeing only negative things in them.

Either way interacting here was a win for me.

Edit: Spelling, it is getting late..

Well that depends on how you interpret the ending then.

On my first playthrough I thought the Nomad ending was bittersweet and depressing. After replaying that ending I found it to be much more optimistic. But it's not obvious the first time around so I suppose that's what's causing the issue, hence the need for discussion.

Though I find the idea of abandoning V within the expansions as I've seen countless times in this thread both baffling and laughable.

I have a bad feeling about it, the problem is that this project was released incomplete, a very large part of the content was cut. Did they go beyond the schedule? Did they have to raise cash? Only god can tell. I feel bad for the devs, years of hard work on this beautiful project to get to this... I hope I'm wrong but as I said I have a bad feeling

I finally made it to an end too. I decided to end the story with Rogues help. In the end, I decided to have my own mind in my own body and let Johnny go with Alt.

So ... somewhere a long time ago I read what the developers said about the endings. That was really a long time ago. Probably when they still had a goal, a great vision. They said that the endings would be very, very satisfying for the players. And rewarding.

Well ... I saw the dumbest and most frustrating ending I can imagine. I mean, my V (and I love her so much after all these hours!) is dead, so ... HOLY F*CK! I am not satisfied! And I can't think of any DLC that I could enjoy if I can't see my V again.

you are quite wrong in your assessment. no one here is ignoring the Panam ending, far from it. but there are people who don't like this ending, don't want this ending. it shouldn't be the only go-to ending for people to feel good. players should be satisfied with what they get, happy or unhappy, no matter how they play. this is the point of role-playing in games like that, and this is what's completely missing - player's agency.

And as I’ve mentioned before, my V got really harshly dumped in that ending. Her love interest that, only just before the mission started, told her “I’ll be with you no matter what” went from that to openly saying “you knew we were never going to get a happy ending.” Nomad ending is horribly sad for my V, ending less bittersweet and just plain bitter.

I finally made it to an end too. I decided to end the story with Rogues help. In the end, I decided to have my own mind in my own body and let Johnny go with Alt.

So ... somewhere a long time ago I read what the developers said about the endings. That was really a long time ago. Probably when they still had a goal, a great vision. They said that the endings would be very, very satisfying for the players. And rewarding.

Well ... I saw the dumbest and most frustrating ending I can imagine. I mean, my V (and I love her so much after all these hours!) is dead, so ... HOLY F*CK! I am not satisfied! And I can't think of any DLC that I could enjoy if I can't see my V again.

Welcome to our therapy session^^

Well that depends on how you interpret the ending then.

On my first playthrough I thought the Nomad ending was bittersweet and depressing. After replaying that ending I found it to be much more optimistic. But it's not obvious the first time around so I suppose that's what's causing the issue, hence the need for discussion.

Though I find the idea of abandoning V within the expansions as I've seen countless times in this thread both baffling and laughable.

I find it optimistic too, but I got to leave with my girlfriend, a ride-or-die best friend and a newfound family. a straight fem V/gay male V, as well as anyone who didn't connect with the nomads, understandably don't feel as good about it as you and I do, though, and their experiences are just as valid.

as for abandoning V in the dlcs, I'm pretty it's only ever brought up in the "please, god, no" sense. no one here wants to abandon the character they've put so much time and emotion into.

And as I’ve mentioned before, my V got really harshly dumped in that ending. Her love interest that, only just before the mission started, told her “I’ll be with you no matter what” went from that to openly saying “you knew we were never going to get a happy ending.” Nomad ending is horribly sad for my V, ending less bittersweet and just plain bitter.

exactly what I'm talking about, thank you. I hope no one attempts to make an argument of "well you chose to be straight/gay and romance River/Kerry", it's just wrong. our story-related decisions should affect the outcome and our satisfaction with it, not who we chose to bed.

I find it optimistic too, but I got to leave with my girlfriend, a ride-or-die best friend and a newfound family. a straight fem V/gay male V, as well as anyone who didn't connect with the nomads, understandably don't feel as good about it as you and I do, though, and their experiences are just as valid.

as for abandoning V in the dlcs, I'm pretty it's only ever brought up in the "please, god, no" sense. no one here wants to abandon the character they've put so much time and emotion into.

exactly what I'm talking about, thank you. I hope no one attempts to make an argument of "well you chose to be straight/gay and romance River/Kerry", it's just wrong. our story-related decisions should affect the outcome, not who we chose to bed.

Some people in this thread have convinced themselves that V is dead for good and that you won't see him in future expansions :shrug:

I suppose the Night City Legend ending is pretty optimistic too, with Mr Blue Eyes and the Crystal Palace. Anyway this is a Cyberpunk themed game after all, not exactly the most happiest setting out there.

Some people in this thread have convinced themselves that V is dead for good and that you won't see him in future expansions :shrug:

I suppose the Night City Legend ending is pretty optimistic too, with Mr Blue Eyes and the Crystal Palace.

I think most people here hope to see V in future expansions.

But "Optimism" & "Pessimism" are biases : some may find clues to be optimistic, like you seem to be, and some expect more evidence to define their opinion. I definitely prefer clear good / bad endings than something undefined, open to doubt and debates.

Personal taste, blablabla.

exactly what I'm talking about, thank you. I hope no one attempts to make an argument of "well you chose to be straight/gay and romance River/Kerry", it's just wrong. our story-related decisions should affect the outcome and our satisfaction with it, not who we chose to bed.

At least you can keep the girls in the Nomad one and the guys in the Heist one, so there is a way to preserve the romance.
Storywise those decisions make sense though. Judy is sick of NC (and girl, after everything you witnessed I would be outta there too) and Panam has duties as Avocado-leader to fullfill.

River has his family in NC, dunno about Kerry tbh.

The romances in this game feel pleasantly organic. You cannot expect them to play out in every way we want, just because we are the main character.
Hell Panam plaing the friendzone card at first hit too close to home for me regarding the first dates with my wife lol.

I suppose the Night City Legend ending is pretty optimistic too, with Mr Blue Eyes and the Crystal Palace.

I think it comes down to the "we are taking the facts at face value" stance, which is a bit stubborn, I agree, but also kind of warranted since we don't have any information on what to expect. people are frustrated, not just with the game, and their impatience leads some to go to the extremes in their thinking. I think most of the points have been already made in the first hundred or so pages, now we all are just spitballing.

I think every ending, save for suicide and a failure in the secret one, has an "optimistic" side to it, because as Cassidy said, it's all about attitude. if you think you're going to die - you are going to die. this way even a half-lobotomized V coming back from the moon has the same chance of survival as the V who left with Panam or the V who took over Afterlife - AND they are not an engram, which is a huge plus for many.

what bothers people the most is a) that their choices pripor to PNR don't matter and b) that it's all up in the air. I think if CDPR just came out and said, "that's it folks, we've told our story in full", many would move on at that very instant. but anticipation and uncertainty are very powerful things, so here we are, itching like addicts, wracking our brains. probably exactly what the devs wanted, but now is not the best time to agitate people like that, we are all a bit on edge in one way or another.

At least you can keep the girls in the Nomad one and the guys in the Heist one, so there is a way to preserve the romance.
Storywise those decisions make sense though. Judy is sick of NC (and girl, after everything you witnessed I would be outta there too) and Panam has duties as Avocado-leader to fullfill.

The romances in this game feel pleasantly organic. You cannot expect them to play out in every way we want, just because we are the main character.
Hell Panam plaing the friendzone card at first hit too close to home for me regarding the first dates with my wife lol.

Pleasantly organic when they actually interact with you:giveup:

Eternally salty every time I called River expecting some “hey heard you did some wild shit” dialogue he instantly hung up on me lol
Post automatically merged:

I think it comes down to the "we are taking the facts at face value" stance, which is a bit stubborn, I agree, but also kind of warranted since we don't have any information on what to expect. people are frustrated, not just with the game, and their impatience leads some to go to the extremes in their thinking. I think most of the points have been already made in the first hundred or so pages, now we all are just spitballing.

I think every ending, save for suicide and a failure in the secret one, has an "optimistic" side to it, because as Cassidy said, it's all about attitude. if you think you're going to die - you are going to die. this way even a half-lobotomized V coming back from the moon has the same chance of survival as the V who left with Panam or the V who took over Afterlife - AND they are not an engram, which is a huge plus for many.

what bothers people the most is a) that their choices pripor to PNR don't matter and b) that it's all up in the air. I think if CDPR just came out and said, "that's it folks, we've told our story in full", many would move on at that very instant. but anticipation and uncertainty are very powerful things, so here we are, itching like addicts, wracking our brains. probably exactly what the devs wanted, but now is not the best time to agitate people like that, we are all a bit on edge in one way or another.

I think I can say a lot of my pessimism comes from expecting more out of Mass Effect Andromeda as well. They also said we’d be getting more content and I believed it, but after a shitty release their new content came in book form :cry: Once bitten, and all that.

Last edited:

I didn't even get to romance Judy in my first playthrough because she bugged out post-Clouds and didn't call me, and I was already rushing to the see the ending (Arasaka that time).

I expected romances to take place throughout the whole game, and not to just happen at some point in a string of side-quests, some even very close to the finish line, only to never be brought up again until they break up with you or you leave together. I agree that they are organic and realistic to the point, but they exist in a vacuum, sadly.

Pleasantly organic when they actually interact with you:giveup:

Eternally salty every time I called River expecting some “hey heard you did some wild shit” dialogue he instantly hung up on me lol
Post automatically merged:

I think I can say a lot of my pessimism comes from expecting more out of Mass Effect Andromeda as well. They also said we’d be getting more content and I believed it, but after a shitty release their new content came in book form :cry: Once bitten, and all that.

As organic as a non-dating sim.can get :D
In witcher 3 you got permanent interactions with the last DLC and even then it was always the same dialogue.
And hey, at least we get a Mass Effect remaster and sequel out of it, potentially tying both games together.
Also while Andromedas story was meh, the combat was fantastic.

Question. If CDPR came out with a roadmap and revealed the two major expansions and how they plan to continue the story, would that satisfy your (and most others) concerns about the future of the game?

Because if that's the case then I fully agree with you (y)

I didn't complete the game yet but I'm seriously very ok with there being no "happy" ending. As long as it makes sense in-universe and does not narrow down to a cookie-cutter blue, green, and red choice. ... looking at you Mass Effect 3.
BadEnding.jpg

And the whole thread seems now like
SadEnd.jpg

Now, I start to accept what happend in the game, sadly

Question. If CDPR came out with a roadmap and revealed the two major expansions and how they plan to continue the story, would that satisfy your (and most others) concerns about the future of the game?

Because if that's the case then I fully agree with you (y)

That is all that was needed imo.
Either better foreshadowing or a roadmap asap.

I would still have been sad, but at least I would know that I can move on or play again with newfound motivation (if the story was to be continued)

I am glad you are in "majority" who likes endings. Good for you

It is just the reality of this thread - a group therapy session.

The ratio of votes to views is so skewed. ~650 votes to around ~153,000 views - and a lot of the posts are from the same usual suspects. For all we know the DLC stories are already penned and ready to print.

The expectation that the writing team is just going to pop into this thread is unrealistic - what can they possibly say?

"Hey guys, sorry you didn't like the story we told. We'll just make sure for the ~500 of you who voted for positive endings, that going forward we'll completely restructure the DLC and main story beats to accommodate you".

Top Bottom