[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Maybe not the Cyberpunk Genre, if that's what you're getting at, but I thought the prologue/act 1 sort of set the tone of the story: that with Jackie setting up his death flag in the bar, and then dying satisfied as a merc from a gig. The whole world-setting/premise I got from it was from what Jackie said about life in NC, about how it is ephemeral and best enjoyed quick while hot. And then you're introduced to Johnny, who is pretty much the epitome of that kind of worldview, to live for a belief at the cost of anything, even at the cost of loved ones and one's own life. I felt like 'the Sun' ending captured those values quite well.
I can accept that but how domain think of it in the light that our main goal is survival?

Most of the story revolves around that premise.

I can accept that but how domain think of it in the light that our main goal is survival?

Most of the story revolves around that premise.

I guess there are different takes towards what it means by survival, which is also debated between Panam and Saul. They both want survival but have different means to it. Panam wants survival and autonomy, while Saul wants survival and security at the cost of autonomy. I think V and Johnny also represented each of those definitions respectively, and as they started to influence one another in their ways of thinking, and especially after hearing the death sentence from Alt, I imagined V eventually got to accept his fate and started to emulate Johnny's nothing-to-lose mentality.

Maybe not the Cyberpunk Genre, if that's what you're getting at, but I thought the prologue/act 1 sort of set the tone of the story: that with Jackie setting up his death flag in the bar, and then dying satisfied as a merc from a gig. The whole world-setting/premise I got from it was from what Jackie said about life in NC, about how it is ephemeral and best enjoyed quick while hot. And then you're introduced to Johnny, who is pretty much the epitome of that kind of worldview, to live for a belief at the cost of anything, even at the cost of loved ones and one's own life. I felt like 'the Sun' ending captured those values quite well.
Game was advertised as a “you have chip of immortality and a lot of people would like it too” along with “your choice matters and you can shape your story”
Act 1 was about “becoming a legend”
Act 2 is about survival
Endings are about dying

for me this is like 4 completely different stories/games.

I know what you are trying to say and this would be a great linear game like KoTOR or Mass Effext where there is a clear beginning, middle and end.

For me this game can’t have those since it’s about “openness” of world. Not to mention that I found whole story illogical and contradicting the lore and genre (you can’t save the world but you can save yourself)

Game was advertised as a “you have chip of immortality and a lot of people would like it too” along with “your choice matters and you can shape your story”
Act 1 was about “becoming a legend”
Act 2 is about survival
Endings are about dying

for me this is like 4 completely different stories/games.

I know what you are trying to say and this would be a great linear game like KoTOR or Mass Effext where there is a clear beginning, middle and end.

For me this game can’t have those since it’s about “openness” of world. Not to mention that I found whole story illogical and contradicting the lore and genre (you can’t save the world but you can save yourself)

Maybe our expectations were different from the beginning. I wasn't really expecting an 'open' world like No Man's Sky or Fallout etc., but another Witcher-like series which I found quite linear, so I guess I didn't find it so problematic. I'm also not much knowledged about the background lore, so that's another reason. But those things aside, I don't see how the acts are 'completely different'. What I understood from what Jackie had said in Afterlife was that death was part of becoming a legend -- i.e., you need to be dead to be remembered as a legend. But it also mattered how you died and made it count, so you had to 'survive' while pulling off stunts until your eventual death and evaluation over your life.

Having said that though, I kinda agree with you that there is quite a jump in V's character from a kid whining about his unfortunate accident to come up with a decision to raid Arasaka. But having a terrorist in your head and facing death kind of would affect you so ... I guess I chose to go for a more sympathetic take towards the story.

Not sure if you guys know this yet, but there is a different thread where supposedly a dev is asking for feedback. Maybe we should let him know what our issues in particular are.

Well, I at least gave mine. I doubt anything will come of it.

Not sure if you guys know this yet, but there is a different thread where supposedly a dev is asking for feedback. Maybe we should let him know what our issues in particular are.

Well, I at least gave mine. I doubt anything will come of it.
The Twitter feedback from a couple of days ago or a new one here? Can't find anything.

Anyway, becoming a NC legend is established to be Jackie's dream, not necessarily V's. I was rolling my eyes when he said that death was a small price to pay to get into the big leagues in the afterlife, and V can roast him about being easy to buy in the car afterwards. So while it's definitely a valid take on the story and the games allows you to RP V like that, the only established thing about V is their relisience and will to survive.

In light of the 6 months limit I did prefer The Sun too though, for the same reason. If V has to die better go out with a bang. But since survival was the main goal of the story it still just felt like failing at the last minute, without catharsis.

I guess there are different takes towards what it means by survival, which is also debated between Panam and Saul. They both want survival but have different means to it. Panam wants survival and autonomy, while Saul wants survival and security at the cost of autonomy. I think V and Johnny also represented each of those definitions respectively, and as they started to influence one another in their ways of thinking, and especially after hearing the death sentence from Alt, I imagined V eventually got to accept his fate and started to emulate Johnny's nothing-to-lose mentality.
V accenting the fate means me accepting that fate.

The writer demanding the player to give up is not acceptable.

If you try to summarise the story to someone, how would you go about doing it?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for this cure, only to find out that it doesn't exist... Where is the punchline?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for this cure, only to find out that it doesn't exist... Where is the punchline?
In that chip lives Keany voiced terrorist who killed 500k people and you can give him your body. So innovative

the merc also becomes friends with the guy on the chip and the devs want to make it look like the best solution is to give up your body to the guy on the chip even though neither he nor V wants it. And there are aborted romance options. The end.

tumblr_lfwg39lzfK1qgb5c3o1_400-29t45yr.png

Same energy ending.

I made a thread about the story's punchline, incase anyone is interested in finding out...

The punchline is in the mercs gut.

This topic confuses me. Missing for happy ending and available for those who want it? Looks like the same things for me. Who really dont want happy ending? But its not happens always, like in real life. Deal with it, kids.

"Wrong city, wrong people"

This topic confuses me. Missing for happy ending and available for those who want it? Looks like the same things for me. Who really dont want happy ending? But its not happens always, like in real life. Deal with it, kids.

https://www.wired.com/story/cyberpunk-mike-pondsmith-interview/ . Go and read it. It is not about real life "grown boy" its about missing whole point of cyberpunk genre. Read it and then talk normally with us

Feel free to contribute with your insight in this thread

Top Bottom