[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Ok, just one more observation, and it will be long so skip it or grab a beer.
V dying at the end, or becoming a legend or running away from becoming a legend would make way more sense if V was able to accomplish something. Ambiguous stories and side quests would sit way better if MOST of the quests weren't ambiguous and bring any kind of conclusion. The fact that the quests not only don't give V that option but the player also can't continue with the preferred topic no matter how much the world is trying to yell that you can do everything and how rich it is.
So, hop in. I'm gonna show you how ineffective idiot V really is.
There are a few missions in that V is successful. In most of those missions, V is not alone or it's mostly side "question mark: content. The first one - Sanda Drosett somehow ends up without a) V dying B) Jackie dying c) Sandra dying. That's actually a huge achievement comparing to the rest of the game. But from the top;

- The Corpo-Rat - V can't do anything about her boss (ever again), about his boss, and about being fired. If not Jackie, she would just die.
- The Rescue - as said above, an achievement.
- The Heist - Well, it's not a success story no matter what we do. Before the heist V was supposed to decide if she will team up with Evelyn against Dex or not, but well. they are both dead very soon so it doesn't matter.
- Automatic Love (and Evelyn's quests) -It starts off pretty neat unless we pick a path that V didn't call Judy. If so, they will meet at Fingers and Judy will cheerfully announce that to obtain this info (that Fingers was involved) cost her exactly one phone call. One. V had to get rid of half of the club. Then we find Evelyn (mostly thanks to Judy, because V can't alone), and then we save her. Saving is very short-lived since Evelyn kills herself anyway without disclosing a thing (V cannot do anything because "life is grim and hard and that's cyberpunk).
- Takemura quest line - this is a walk of shame really. Meeting Oda - failure. Trying to talk to Hanako - failure. I mean sure, some parts were successful but the outcome is always "V you idiot, my God". The cherry on top is Takemura dying (if V didn't save him) because everybody forgot that Arasaka has some power (Arasaka keeps forgetting about it as well). If Takemura doesn't die, he will either screw V over in Devil ending or die anyway (like Evelyn!)
- VoodooBoys - First played out by VBD, then perhaps by NetWatch, then by VBD, then by ALT. Conclusion - a lot of people died, no resolution. You're dying, V. You're a wizard, Harry! Pacifica is still run by Voodoo Boys (means who?), and NetWatch never appears again. If V's goal was revenge on VBD, it's extremely unsatisfying, mostly because NetWatch is doing most of the work!
- Judy's missions - the conversation with Maiko is a failure (why are we even there?), revolution is a failure, V can't even swim properly almost dying in the freaking church. Her sorry-ass has to be saved by Judy.
- River's quests - this time the writers came prepared. Since V always fails, at least the serial killer is already caught (just in case). Finding his farm is a breeze, so I guess it's a success story? To a certain extent? But mostly because of River, since he got the recording, not V? So moderate success I guess, but still.. you guessed it. V was not alone! With this success rate I'm surprised why this jambalaya didn't cause diarrhea but who knows?
- Panam questline - well, actually we get to Hellman but it doesn't do anything. We getting him only because Panam has a very clever idea to use an RPG and turn off the power plant. It was so clever that one of her friends died. A friend who, mind you, wasn't even supposed to be there. Nomads act like dumb, lost kids in the forest (well, desert). They steal things all the time and can't find their leader (or decide who that might be). Saving Soul can be a success story if you want to look at it that way but it feels pointless (especially with Panam ending).
- Kerry's mission - no, you can't stop K-pop invasion. It's impossible. You can make Kerry miserable if you want. So that's that.
- Peralez - V didn't find either who did it or why. She also can't save Peralez. Warning somebody that they are losing their minds not serving any purpose. It's a nice quest chain mission but it's hard to say that V is successful (unless finding cables on the floor we call a success). Moreover, V is not even bothered by it and never brings it back ever again.
- Brandon - Goodbye, vending machine. I can't even take you to my room. V talks to Johnny and Skippy. Treats Delamain as a person and yet she's still surprised by a talking object.
- Sinnerman - the guy wants to be the second Jesus. We can't do anything to stop him. Exploiting people's faith for financial gain is like 2000 years old and it's called tradition.
- The monks - meditation is pointless. In every aspect. In Cyberpunk of course
- Mysty's quest -Tarot is also pointless
- The prophet - a very nice quest that leads nowhere.
- The evil taxis - So V collects them all just like Pokemons and then learns it didn't really help since they all went nuts so she has to make a decision that she doesn't fully understand. Whatever she picks nothing really changes so it's not a decision. I mean the taxis didn't explode so I guess it's good?
- Finding Adam Smasher at the boat? Failure. You can't even successfully fuck Rogue (not that I want to, but still). V who worked for Arasaka her whole life is not aware of where Adam Smasher is! I know where he is! ARASAKA TOWER! But no. Johnny has to get drunk with some hookers to get a condom note!
- Skippy - I'm aware this is a bug but there's a huge chance this gun will never talk to you ever again and will never tell you that Regina is his owner. Even if you will meet her she will be like, whatever and that's it.
- Cyberpsyhos - that was very nice, but nothing came out of it. I might kill them I might save them. Their fate is unknown so V just serves as a postman. She's gossiping with Regina for a good hour total (with all those text messages and notes) like two schoolgirls about those psychos' private lives just to be left out.

So basically nothing came out of nothing that V did ;-) V does things but doesn't achieve anything most of the time. It's not even about being frustrated. You just don't care so you can't be frustrated by something you don't give a shit about. It's annoying but not in a nice sense "oh I would like to know more!" but more like "we didn't learn anything AGAIN. Shocking..." so then you just focus on killing the colorful bad guys because that's the only thing that actually works AKA V can accomplish at least something even if it's just getting a flashy backpack. There's no satisfaction that WE (me and V) came to some conclusion, WE solved something WE were able to finish something. No. Except killing people and looting their dead bodies that's it. It's like Geralt in TW3 instead of finding Ciri would just follow the light and then the light would stop. And Geralt would just look at it for a very very long moment and said "HMMMMMM...." Roll end credits. Much deep. Much ambiguous.

On top of everything, during the game we attack Araska 4 times (!!!!!), minimum 3 - The Heist, twice with Johnny is a must, and then at the end. Like literally we repeat the same thing over and over to the same effect. Why would I even care about the world then? Since everything is a mystery that is unavailable or "up for interpretation"?

Frankly, when I reached the endings and ALT said that V has to die (one way or another) my reaction was "BUT OF COURSE!". I found those 6 months especially ridiculous since V can't achieve anything unless the cure will be stashed in some question mark location surrounded by the bad guys. Then maybe. V can't manage her own money (the only way to spend it is to buy cars we don't even need), even with all the weapons and gear and stats she can't really solve ANY of her problems. Why would I trust her to find the cure? Why would anybody do? I mean sure, PANAM will help. Yeah, maybe. Perhaps. Probably NOT.

The legend of NIght City my ass.

what makes you think V is supposed to be godly figure, who controls people and everything goes according to their plan? I dunno, I think your just getting caught up in haterade. Do you walk around thinking everyone is dumb because the world doesn't bow before them?

You also determine things don't matter... because what, because they didnt effect V? Your entire analysis assumes
A) V is the center of the world, only things that directly impact V matter.
B) V should succeed at everything, with no help, and listen to no one else's ideas, or else V is a failure.

you talk about bad writing, by applying your metrics, V would have to be a flawless omnitalented hero, and every action in the story would have to conviently tie back to V, within a time frame of a few weeks no less. Which would generally be considered bad writing.

also, a lot of your points are questionable from any stance

Last edited:

Guest 4412420

- The Heist - Well, it's not a success story no matter what we do. Before the heist V was supposed to decide if she will team up with Evelyn against Dex or not, but well. they are both dead very soon so it doesn't matter.
Having an option to side with Evelyn would have been awesome. But the heist ending up a disaster isn't V's fault. Saburo's murder is what throws it off the rails. What was V suppose to do here? Bust through the wall and save Saburo's life but then fail the heist and probably land themselves in hot water with Arasaka anyway for trying to steal their property?

- Takemura quest line - this is a walk of shame really. Meeting Oda - failure. Trying to talk to Hanako - failure. I mean sure, some parts were successful but the outcome is always "V you idiot, my God".
Oda is a complete stranger, loyal to Arasaka, what could have V done to change the outcome of the meeting?

- Judy's missions - the conversation with Maiko is a failure (why are we even there?), revolution is a failure, V can't even swim properly almost dying in the freaking church. Her sorry-ass has to be saved by Judy.
Having options to point out flaws in Judy's plan would have been great. Not sure what swimming has to do with anything. V can swim just fine. The relic malfunctioned which is why they passed out. V can't control when they happen.

- Kerry's mission - no, you can't stop K-pop invasion. It's impossible. You can make Kerry miserable if you want. So that's that.
Kerry's questline isn't about a K-pop invasion, he literally tells you what his beef with them was really about on the rooftop of that club he invites V to. And it's very possible to solve the situation with the Us Cracks peacefully.

- Finding Adam Smasher at the boat? Failure. You can't even successfully fuck Rogue (not that I want to, but still). V who worked for Arasaka her whole life is not aware of where Adam Smasher is! I know where he is! ARASAKA TOWER! But no. Johnny has to get drunk with some hookers to get a condom note!
Corpo V is a former employee, though, and they were on the lower end of the corporate ladder at that. Adam Smasher isn't glued to Arasaka's tower floor he could be wherever Yorinobu wants him to be.

Edit: V can and does succeed in doing things but those successes are often on a smaller scale. They're not there to save the world, but they can still make it better for some people. V failing to achieve their goal at the end is not a failing on V's part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am at the Ember club and give a warning to save before proceeding to the end of the game.

Panam Parker became a lover, and there no future? No sandbox play afterwards? No making babies? LOL

This is a very weird concept, you negate the value of a story by skipping to the last page, and then going, oh I guess all the pages in the middle don't matter?

yes its a plot device, everything in a story is a plot device. The question is, is it a bad plot device.

The point of the plot device was to make the player/v answer some of the central questions, which up until then the player could avoid dealing with, or put off until later.
1)is the point of life to live long and well, or is the point of life how you live
2)selflessness or nah (who has the right to exist more)
3)struggle Against the world or accept it.

maybe they could have integrated the plot device better, or made it more understandable within the context of this world, but it was very necessary to actually answer these questions they brought up in the beginning of the game, which in the action if the game we could avoid resolving. Especially considering its a game/narrative, and while the game is going on, players/v make decisions based on what the game/story needs to keep going, rather than actual decisions based on who V is.
And the story is about The Heist that is a plot device to push story to its destination- that is a quest about survival and maybe/probably about those questions, but they are tied together and are inseparable.

Here biochip is a plot device as is the plot cancer to push the story towards its ending.

In the end this story has a climax and an epilogue, that shows what is going to happen with V.
If any we can just extrapolate the future as a straight line of those epilogues. In non of them there is anything concrete about the cure, some time has passed (weeks-months). We can’t even assume that V is after the cure.

6mo of time is just to give some room for main character to “be punished” or rewarded for his/her actions.
And that’s that. Endings are elaborate, and this not something you are doing with continuation in mind.

Last edited:
I maintain that all the endings except suicide could theoretically continue on with the rebooting of V's engram after their physical body expires. Standalone expansion in which V is thrown into a new body, Altered Carbon-style, perhaps years after their "death". Could easily be done, and the copying of V's psyche onto an engram seems like it might have been designed as a safety net for that kind of thing, because otherwise it doesn't actually have any real impact on the story.

Not holding my breath though.

That would be awesome, can you imagine, decades into the future visiting old friends as V in a different body (Interstellar style)...

It would probably kill me to see Judy growing old and jaded... all of a sudden a glint in her eyes realizing that the person standing in front of them is the same person they buried fifty years ago.

CDPR don't drop the ball, lol I'll hire a hit squad if they don't do my Judy justice.

what makes you think V is supposed to be godly figure, who controls people and everything goes according to their plan? I dunno, I think your just getting caught up in haterade. Do you walk around thinking everyone is dumb because the world doesn't bow before them?

There's a big difference between hatred and picking on things. The same thing goes with the world. If most of the characters fail in achieving their main goal or achieving this goal is a disappointment it doesn't mean that I want to world to bow before them.
If the characters don't learn from their own mistakes, they are acting dumb, and they don't learn. There's no reason for them to fail except "the world is a dark place". It seriously feels like Ahab at the end of Moby Dick decided to hunt the white whale anyway and then die in the process. Like somebody else said somewhere in this 900 pages long thread -the main character's death doesn't mean the story is a tragedy.
And yes, it's a satire and it's exaggerated on purpose.

You also determine things don't matter... because what, because they didnt effect V?

Yes, because they didn't affect V. And they can't affect V since V is making the same mistake over and over.

A) V is the center of the world, only things that directly impact V matter.
B) V should succeed at everything, with no help, and listen to no one else's ideas, or else V is a failure.

That's simply not true. V doesn't have to succeed at anything but something. It's not all or nothing.
I'm not even sure why we're arguing especially about the post that was supposed to be filled to the brim with irony. You think it's great. I think it's not and I'm pointing out why. Then you fire back telling me that I should like it anyway. This is not a competition and not a wishlist. I can list a whole list of things I expected from this game and I would like to see in V's actions and behavior, but I'm taking what's given not what's in my head.

you talk about bad writing, by applying your metrics, V would have to be a flawless omnitalented hero, and every action in the story would have to conviently tie back to V, within a time frame of a few weeks no less. Which would generally be considered bad writing.

Absolutely not. That's not either/or situation. There's a difference between a golden hero and a comedy of errors. She doesn't have to destroy Arasaka and save the day every single time she's up for a task but her actions should have an impact on the world. Even your actions make a difference in your everyday life.

Having an option to side with Evelyn would have been awesome. But the heist ending up a disaster isn't V's fault. Saburo's murder is what throws it off the rails. What was V suppose to do here? Bust through the wall and save Saburo's life but then fail the heist and probably land themselves in hot water with Arasaka anyway for trying to steal their property?

That's a non-issue even if I find it hilarious that the most secure hotel in the world has a special stash behind the tv big enough for two people. Of course, it's not V's fault even if the players know from the start that this heist has to end up in a failure. The only question is how. We know it simply because the supposed outcome is to run away somewhere (we don't really know where) and live happily ever after. That simply not gonna happen because it's the beginning of the story. V knowing what happened to Saburo doesn't do anything with this knowledge by herself. She's trying only because Takamura asks her to. Let's flip this card. Do you think that V really regrets the fact she tried to steal Arasaka's property? Did she learn anything from it?

Oda is a complete stranger, loyal to Arasaka, what could have V done to change the outcome of the meeting? If there's anyone to blame for things failing in Takemura's questline it's Takemura himself.

So V should be able to say - meet him yourself why do I care? But I'm dragged to this meeting anyway. Does it change anything? Does it impact V? No, it's just an exposition. You are correct it's not V's direct fault but it's hers by proxy. Her seeing Takemura making mistake after mistake and agreeing to continue is annoying. That's fine for a teenage story but for a mature one? C'mon. There's also a limit of sympathy for the main character.

Having options to point out flaws in Judy's plan would have been great, having more options on how to deal with Maiko would have been nice too, I agree. Not sure what swimming has to do with anything. V can swim just fine. The relic malfunctioned which is why they passed out. V can't control when they happen.

It's not about the swimming itself but the fact that every scene has to end up in a failure. It would be fine by itself but it's funny that V can't even accomplish one task without running into problems. And don't get me wrong - the quest itself is fine. The big picture, however, not so much.

Corpo V is a former employee, and on the lower end of the corporate ladder at that, and Adam Smasher isn't glued to Arasaka's tower floor he could be wherever Yorinobu wants him to be.

True that but since V was some corpo agent I would assume it would be common knowledge that Adam Smasher's office is on some boat along with his collection. This is not something that happened overnight. Smasher isn't just walking the streets unnoticed, not with his appearance. He's a "legend" as Jackie states. The only place where we see him is Arasaka Tower and the hotel. V's experience as corpo should come to play here. It doesn't because the game doesn't branch out that much. Fine. But I can't just blame every inconsistency of "the devs didn't have enough time". At the end of the day, nobody gives a shit. We have to talk about the story as is not as it could be. The whole shebang with Smasher is important to connect to Rouge so it was done on purpose anyway. Yes, we can argue AGAIn that's not V's failure but Rogue's failure but for crying out loud :D
Post automatically merged:

It would probably kill me to see Judy growing old and jaded... all of a sudden a glint in her eyes realizing that the person standing in front of them is the same person they buried fifty years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised. Something is telling me that our next (if even) meeting with Judy will end just like that.

Alternatively: The beginning of the game itself offers 3 vastly different lifepaths for V which all segway towards the same exact point. There's no reason why DLC couldn't do the same thing in regards to which ending you picked - a little 10-minute intro explaining how V gets to the point which the DLC story requires them to be at, differing depending on the ending chosen. After all, there are only 3 basic endings in which V lives, and they're all synonymous with the lifepaths themselves (The Devil = Corpo, The Star = Nomad, The Sun = Street Kid). Ending picked could still affect dialogue or character interactions in DLC in a similar way to the lifepath system of the base game.

So really I don't think the multiple endings are as much an obstacle for post-story DLC as they might seem. It's not like other RPGs haven't tackled this problem before. Still not holding by breath though.

Alternatively: The beginning of the game itself offers 3 vastly different lifepaths for V which all segway towards the same exact point. There's no reason why DLC couldn't do the same thing in regards to which ending you picked - a little 10-minute intro explaining how V gets to the point which the DLC story requires them to be at, differing depending on the ending chosen. After all, there are only 3 basic endings in which V lives, and they're all synonymous with the lifepaths themselves (The Devil = Corpo, The Star = Nomad, The Sun = Street Kid). Ending picked could still affect dialogue or character interactions in DLC in a similar way to the lifepath system of the base game.

So really I don't think the multiple endings are as much an obstacle for post-story DLC as they might seem. It's not like other RPGs haven't tackled this problem before. Still not holding by breath though.
Was thinking on this, not sure what they’d pull out if they did merge some of the endings. I’m no writer, but at least in the beginning with the 3 different life paths the world is in the same state. But at the end? E.g. Arasaka is either in ruins or back in business depending on each ending.

That would be awesome, can you imagine, decades into the future visiting old friends as V in a different body (Interstellar style)...

CDPR don't drop the ball, lol I'll hire a hit squad if they don't do my Judy justice.
Judy is said to always leave NC and she has like minus 5 reasons why she should go back.
Same goes for Misty. Goro is always gone, either in Japan or dead.
If any maybe we will be for some reasons hunting V’s memorabilia.

some of them are end of the road like Arasaka where V always die (as is stated in Official Guide).
Can this be done? Sure but this will be retcon no something that was planned all along

Endings are too decisive, elaborated and long (as for prologues) to have any continuation. Plus V motivation is would be at least different in some and questionable at most.

Post mq dlc for me don’t make any sense, and for many people when they will see those “state of the art” backstories to tie shitload of loose ends also.

Story is better to be left alone this way, than making a Frankenstein “I will milk you to death” -like continuation.

Was thinking on this, not sure what they’d pull out if they did merge some of the endings. I’m no writer, but at least in the beginning with the 3 different life paths the world is in the same state. But at the end? E.g. Arasaka is either in ruins or back in business depending on each ending.

Arasaka doesn't collapse in any ending; in The Sun it's actually outright stated that the company will probably recover in future months. Similarly in The Star, Arasaka's stocks plummet but there's no reason to believe the corporation is finished. The only major difference is who is leading Arasaka (which is still ostensibly Yorinobu even if you go with The Devil) and whether Mikoshi survives or gets eaten by Alt.

Nothing that can't be worked around, especially if Arasaka isn't the main focus of a potential DLC story. Which they shouldn't be, because V's beef with them is basically concluded in every ending.

V is in a quantum super-position, like Schrodinger's cat - both alive and dead at the same time, Johnny and V at the same time... aaaand being very important and special in the story (having big impact on Arasaka - Saburo's "revival" etc. and Night City overall)and also not being able to change anything(not his/her own destiny too) at the same time.

Last edited:
Story is better to be left alone this way, than making a Frankenstein “I will milk you to death” -like continuation.

Yes, milking the story further would cheapen the endings, but the endings themselves cheapen the entire game, so I don't really care. I'm all in favor of milking as much content as possible out of this universe and its characters, rather than just throwing it all away because Alt said so.

Ok, just one more observation, and it will be long so skip it or grab a beer.
V dying at the end, or becoming a legend or running away from becoming a legend would make way more sense if V was able to accomplish something. Ambiguous stories and side quests would sit way better if MOST of the quests weren't ambiguous and bring any kind of conclusion. The fact that the quests not only don't give V that option but the player also can't continue with the preferred topic no matter how much the world is trying to yell that you can do everything and how rich it is.
So, hop in. I'm gonna show you how ineffective idiot V really is.
There are a few missions in that V is successful. In most of those missions, V is not alone or it's mostly side "question mark: content. The first one - Sanda Drosett somehow ends up without a) V dying B) Jackie dying c) Sandra dying. That's actually a huge achievement comparing to the rest of the game. But from the top;

- The Corpo-Rat - V can't do anything about her boss (ever again), about his boss, and about being fired. If not Jackie, she would just die.
- The Rescue - as said above, an achievement.
- Automatic Love (and Evelyn's quests) -It starts off pretty neat unless we pick a path that V didn't call Judy. If so, they will meet at Fingers and Judy will cheerfully announce that to obtain this info (that Fingers was involved) cost her exactly one phone call. One. V had to get rid of half of the club. Then we find Evelyn (mostly thanks to Judy, because V can't alone), and then we save her. Saving is very short-lived since Evelyn kills herself anyway without disclosing a thing (V cannot do anything because "life is grim and hard and that's cyberpunk).
- Takemura quest line - this is a walk of shame really. Meeting Oda - failure. Trying to talk to Hanako - failure. I mean sure, some parts were successful but the outcome is always "V you idiot, my God". The cherry on top is Takemura dying (if V didn't save him) because everybody forgot that Arasaka has some power (Arasaka keeps forgetting about it as well). If Takemura doesn't die, he will either screw V over in Devil ending or die anyway (like Evelyn!)
- VoodooBoys - First played out by VBD, then perhaps by NetWatch, then by VBD, then by ALT. Conclusion - a lot of people died, no resolution. You're dying, V. You're a wizard, Harry! Pacifica is still run by Voodoo Boys (means who?), and NetWatch never appears again. If V's goal was revenge on VBD, it's extremely unsatisfying, mostly because NetWatch is doing most of the work!
- River's quests - this time the writers came prepared. Since V always fails, at least the serial killer is already caught (just in case). Finding his farm is a breeze, so I guess it's a success story? To a certain extent? But mostly because of River, since he got the recording, not V? So moderate success I guess, but still.. you guessed it. V was not alone! With this success rate I'm surprised why this jambalaya didn't cause diarrhea but who knows?
- Panam questline - well, actually we get to Hellman but it doesn't do anything. We getting him only because Panam has a very clever idea to use an RPG and turn off the power plant. It was so clever that one of her friends died. A friend who, mind you, wasn't even supposed to be there. Nomads act like dumb, lost kids in the forest (well, desert). They steal things all the time and can't find their leader (or decide who that might be). Saving Soul can be a success story if you want to look at it that way but it feels pointless (especially with Panam ending).
- Peralez - V didn't find either who did it or why. She also can't save Peralez. Warning somebody that they are losing their minds not serving any purpose. It's a nice quest chain mission but it's hard to say that V is successful (unless finding cables on the floor we call a success). Moreover, V is not even bothered by it and never brings it back ever again.
- Brandon - Goodbye, vending machine. I can't even take you to my room. V talks to Johnny and Skippy. Treats Delamain as a person and yet she's still surprised by a talking object.
- Sinnerman - the guy wants to be the second Jesus. We can't do anything to stop him. Exploiting people's faith for financial gain is like 2000 years old and it's called tradition.
- The monks - meditation is pointless. In every aspect. In Cyberpunk of course
- Mysty's quest -Tarot is also pointless
- The prophet - a very nice quest that leads nowhere.
- The evil taxis - So V collects them all just like Pokemons and then learns it didn't really help since they all went nuts so she has to make a decision that she doesn't fully understand. Whatever she picks nothing really changes so it's not a decision. I mean the taxis didn't explode so I guess it's good?
- Skippy - I'm aware this is a bug but there's a huge chance this gun will never talk to you ever again and will never tell you that Regina is his owner. Even if you will meet her she will be like, whatever and that's it.
- Cyberpsyhos - that was very nice, but nothing came out of it. I might kill them I might save them. Their fate is unknown so V just serves as a postman. She's gossiping with Regina for a good hour total (with all those text messages and notes) like two schoolgirls about those psychos' private lives just to be left out.

So basically nothing came out of nothing that V did ;-) V does things but doesn't achieve anything most of the time. It's not even about being frustrated. You just don't care so you can't be frustrated by something you don't give a shit about. It's annoying but not in a nice sense "oh I would like to know more!" but more like "we didn't learn anything AGAIN. Shocking..." so then you just focus on killing the colorful bad guys because that's the only thing that actually works AKA V can accomplish at least something even if it's just getting a flashy backpack. There's no satisfaction that WE (me and V) came to some conclusion, WE solved something WE were able to finish something. No. Except killing people and looting their dead bodies that's it. It's like Geralt in TW3 instead of finding Ciri would just follow the light and then the light would stop. And Geralt would just look at it for a very very long moment and said "HMMMMMM...." Roll end credits. Much deep. Much ambiguous.

On top of everything, during the game we attack Araska 4 times (!!!!!), minimum 3 - The Heist, twice with Johnny is a must, and then at the end. Like literally we repeat the same thing over and over to the same effect. Why would I even care about the world then? Since everything is a mystery that is unavailable or "up for interpretation"?

Frankly, when I reached the endings and ALT said that V has to die (one way or another) my reaction was "BUT OF COURSE!". I found those 6 months especially ridiculous since V can't achieve anything unless the cure will be stashed in some question mark location surrounded by the bad guys. Then maybe. V can't manage her own money (the only way to spend it is to buy cars we don't even need), even with all the weapons and gear and stats she can't really solve ANY of her problems. Why would I trust her to find the cure? Why would anybody do? I mean sure, PANAM will help. Yeah, maybe. Perhaps. Probably NOT.

The legend of NIght City my ass.

I didn't care about most of these :) V is not omnipotent, and then "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself", so I treated all of the above as those random people's problems. Which is fine.

K-Pop invasion, Kerry? Oh, poor you. I'm dying, btw.

Oda doesn't want to talk to me? Well, Hanako's problem. Oh, she knew from the beginning? That's a shame.

AIs are rewriting your brain, Elizabeth? Can relate.

What I'm more annoyed about is that:
- they make you fail your essential quest just to throw a plot cancer question at you (and that's just a cover; the only reason to introduce it is to make the player "choose harder")
- even if the quests above have the mechanics to let you answer (merge Delamain/destroy the core etc.), there isn't tangible impact in the open world. OK, I chose this or that. So what? It often feels that if I'd skipped a certain quest, nothing would have changed really.

All these attacks on Arasaka help to separate the game into chunks: one in the exposition, one as a climax in Arasaka's story (kidnapping Hanako and she agrees to help) and the final one as a resolution. But yeah, it's like an enemy you can never beat.

Arasaka doesn't collapse in any ending; in The Sun it's actually outright stated that the company will probably recover in future months. Similarly in The Star, Arasaka's stocks plummet but there's no reason to believe the corporation is finished. The only major difference is who is leading Arasaka (which is still ostensibly Yorinobu even if you go with The Devil) and whether Mikoshi survives or gets eaten by Alt.

Nothing that can't be worked around, especially if Arasaka isn't the main focus of a potential DLC story. Which they shouldn't be, because V's beef with them is basically concluded in every ending.
So then why all the fuss with those endings if they (like the rest choices in the game) mean jack s***?

Not only this, but also it will make hell of the characters broken like VIc, Alt, Hellman. Plus most of the characters in this game that means something left the NC, the rest is depending on the ending. This also needs to be addressed.

And so you will need a ton of exposition just to revers the whole MQ of CP77.
This sounds like fun.

Judy is said to always leave NC and she has like minus 5 reasons why she should go back.
Same goes for Misty. Goro is always gone, either in Japan or dead.
If any maybe we will be for some reasons hunting V’s memorabilia.

some of them are end of the road like Arasaka where V always die (as is stated in Official Guide).
Can this be done? Sure but this will be retcon no something that was planned all along

Endings are too decisive, elaborated and long (as for prologues) to have any continuation. Plus V motivation is would be at least different in some and questionable at most.

Post mq dlc for me don’t make any sense, and for many people when they will see those “state of the art” backstories to tie shitload of loose ends also.

misty just went on vacation, she'll be back, she says she's a night city girl for life, even after Jackie died

Oh just like Geralt and Yennefer in the books? And yet here we are several games later that brought them back and offered a happy ending. That was a HUGE retcon to the tragic story and was against Sapkowski's wishes.
So what?
Somehow no one really says that TW3 is bad writing even if you can achieve a happy ending for MOST of the characters and the world is even more fucked up than in Cyberpunk.
Of course, it can be done but I'm with you there. Should it be done?
Or should every game about Cyberpunk be a mistery porn?
I wonder how the animated series will play out. Will everybody die at the end? ;-)

Top Bottom