[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
For my point of view the "little ride" Johnny take to find intel about Jeremiah Grayson and Smasher it's to be intended as JS lie to V: Because he didn't go to Rogue right away, got drunk and take drugs on V back.
I couldn’t tell if he was outright lying, or if he just lost control when he felt free for the first time in ages again. He didn’t seem to remorseful about it either way :rolleyes:

I couldn’t tell if he was outright lying, or if he just lost control when he felt free for the first time in ages again. He didn’t seem to remorseful about it either way :rolleyes:
Yep, but IIe4eHbka_Cooky is right in saying that "Don't Fear the Reaper" should not be unlocked by a precise dialogue options.
Also saying first "you save my life" follow by "you lie to me" is a bit strange to me.

Yep, but @IIe4eHbka_Cooky is right in saying that "Don't Fear the Reaper" should not be unlocked by a precise dialogue options.
Also saying first "you save my life" follow by "you lie to me" is a bit strange to me.

Yes, absolutely right. Yeah Johnny did a fucking heart tattoo with our names. His whole trip was a quinticentiation of a fan, and there was nothing wrong with it. Why be angry with him and think that he has betrayed and deceived us? All his journey seemed to me insanely cool and cute, something that MY V was missing. So I just don’t understand why the hell I’m bad about Johnny.

Instead of giving players a choice of how to relate to a particular event, the developers instill in us their opinion and attitude. What is not, - "here you have to react negatively to this and then tell Johnny that you think badly of him." If you don’t do that, you won’t get anything. What the ... kindergarten?

Who even triggers the secret ending for one illogical phrase in the middle of the game? I understand to do it in the manner of Mass Effect, where to get the best result you had to try as much as possible and do as many things as possible. Even if the ending itself is not very good, the conversation is not about that. Namely, about the opening of the best or secret ending. So it would not be wiser to tie it up, for example, to fulfill almost all points and orders in the city? Like, all the fixers and the Night City government itself (which we also helped) already know and respect V so much that they wanted to help him / her with the problem? They all unite and help. Let not all of them be out of the kindness of their soul, but knowing how much benefit V brings them. Well, that's just an example. And here, in fact, you can do nothing in the game at all, not do a single quest, just choose the desired replica, and, voila, the secret ending is yours. And the fact that I cleaned the entire map 100 percent does not count at all, they did not even give achievements, for Pacifica in Steam I still have received and not received at the same time.

Last edited:
How is this strange? Johnny does save V's life in the last Tapeworm. He takes over and saves you that way. But then he also lies to V and uses her body to for his own pleasure when you allow him to go "talk to Rogue" instead of doing what he promised to do.

Last edited:
I know about mods, but I don't use them. It won't be a real game anymore. Knowing about shortcomings and poking them in the face when a person is trying to improve are two different things. The attitude to shortcomings, I think, is already a player's business. Some will be vindictive, and some will be kind. It is up to the player to decide. Why, if I have a good attitude towards Johnny and do not consider it necessary to offend him - does it badly affect our relationship? I just want to point out that after the phrase "no, you fucked that too," V says that Johnny "constantly cheated and used her", I just have one question - are we exactly playing the same game? For me personally, Johnny has never deceived me or used me, and all his actions were aimed only for the benefit of V, albeit in his unusual ways. So why the hell do I have to tell him that he was cheating and using me if it’s not true?

as far as mods, id say if you use them properly, you can enhance the game. Some things are currently just not well designed, or broken. But I understand if it ruins immersion for you.

yeah, I'm not saying its how you want to treat him, I'm just saying the Johnny character is a complex guy, He believes people that really like him that challenge him. Like rogue, and Alt, and Kerry.

but yeah, its weird to only get secret ending option only with those specific responses.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, absolutely right. Yeah Johnny did a fucking heart tattoo with our names. His whole trip was a quinticentiation of a fan, and there was nothing wrong with it. Why be angry with him and think that he has betrayed and deceived us? All his journey seemed to me insanely cool and cute, something that MY V was missing. So I just don’t understand why the hell I’m bad about Johnny.

Instead of giving players a choice of how to relate to a particular event, the developers instill in us their opinion and attitude. What is not, - "here you have to react negatively to this and then tell Johnny that you think badly of him." If you don’t do that, you won’t get anything. What the ... kindergarten?

Who even triggers the secret ending for one illogical phrase in the middle of the game? I understand to do it in the manner of Mass Effect, where to get the best result you had to try as much as possible and do as many things as possible. Even if the ending itself is not very good, the conversation is not about that. Namely, about the opening of the best or secret ending. So it would not be wiser to tie it up, for example, to fulfill almost all points and orders in the city? Like, all the fixers and the Night City government itself (which we also helped) already know and respect V so much that they wanted to help him / her with the problem? They all unite and help. Let not all of them be out of the kindness of their soul, but knowing how much benefit V brings them. Well, that's just an example. And here, in fact, you can do nothing in the game at all, not do a single quest, just choose the desired replica, and, voila, the secret ending is yours. And the fact that I cleaned the entire map 100 percent does not count at all, they did not even give achievements, for Pacifica in Steam I still have received and not received at the same time.
as I said I agree it should have more than one method, but this specific quest isn't really just a special ending for the game, RP wise this is the ending Johnny would choose, his method of suicide, he only suggests because he thinks you guys think the same way, or he owes you something. It would make no sense if it wasn't tied to V and Johnny's relationship.

It would be nice if there were other possible ending paths based on other stuff, but this one is the Johnny style ending.

Last edited:
i've used mods to make a new game plus kind of thing. why you ask? my first playthrough was filled with a ton of bugs, some of those bugs somehow cut me out of a lot of side quests, so, i recreated my first toon and replayed the game from scratch, this time i wasn't cut out of about a third of the quests, but some stuff still didn't trigger or end properly also i think cutting me out of content, so it still wasn't a complete run, imho. at that point i decided to not give a crap and just screw around till they fixed this shit, so i made a few of my new game plus playthroughs and just messed around, and had a good time.
and when this mess is properly patched and doing a proper run wouldn't be a waste of time, then i'll do it, until then i'm just messing around and using mods.

i dunno, think the Star ending was sweet way to go out and the Sun ending was entertaining. But i think people forget what Cyberpunk actually is, and to quote the official table top RPG edition: "The Classic Roleplaying Game of the Dark Future" , meaning..there is no truly happy ending, you're not here to save the world, but only yourself. It's been explained that you're boned when you get fixed by Vik, and the keep repeating it through out the campaign, there's no illusions.

i dunno, think the Star ending was sweet way to go out and the Sun ending was entertaining. But i think people forget what Cyberpunk actually is, and to quote the official table top RPG edition: "The Classic Roleplaying Game of the Dark Future" , meaning..there is no truly happy ending, you're not here to save the world, but only yourself. It's been explained that you're boned when you get fixed by Vik, and the keep repeating it through out the campaign, there's no illusions.
Well here it's the other way around, you can save everyone except for V :D

i think people forget what Cyberpunk actually is
holy fuck i thought we left "cyberpunk is only grimdark allowed" 400 pages ago
1612799094704.png

well its actually fine with happy endings, just not perfect ones, or ones where you beat the world. Save yourself doesn't just mean you, but also your "family" its more personal, smaller scale.

so I was going through the sourcebook, and they have a bunch of ways the GM could end it, including

Happy Ending The Edgerunners win the day! In Cyberpunk, this could be a major victory like toppling a Corporation or minor victory like getting paid after finishing a mission. Any job you can walk away from, choomba.

and I think this is the ones we got that many people hate:

Greater Threat So, you thought getting rid of the Antagonist ended the problem, eh? No; behind them stands a far greater threat! Sure, you took down the local Zhirafa head of security but that means you’ve attracted the attention of their boss or the gang leader you deposed was working for the Yakuza and now you have to deal with them. In this Scene, you discover that this is only the beginning, and another game lurks in the offing.

Pyrrhic Victory The Edgerunners won, technically. They finished the job and they killed the Antagonist, but their victory came at a hefty price. Their HQ burned to the ground or an important NPC died during the final confrontation. Whatever the case, while they’re walking away winners, the Edgerunners shouldn’t feel like it. Be careful—while this victory feels very Cyberpunk it can be a tough act to follow

Last edited:
oohh probably! Not bored enough though to read through everything that's been posted.
That's more than understandable, I mostly posted it for the meme since that line seems to be in anyone's first post in this thread who liked the endings lol.

I will say though that I have no idea why you'd include Pondsmith's "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself" since that's literally what you can't do in this game.

That's more than understandable, I mostly posted it for the meme since that line seems to be in anyone's first post in this thread who liked the endings lol.

I will say though that I have no idea why you'd include Pondsmith's "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself" since that's literally what you can't do in this game.

you saved yourself, just not forever. I last did secret ending, and V was goin down hardcore, losing max health, felt like an achievement Goin back to coughing blood sometimes

Soo I wanted to write the full list

V can't save:
- Jackie
- T-Bug
- Evelyn (kinda, at least you can rescue her)
- Brendan (though I wonder why you can't try to stop the update, at least as a netrunner)
- Joshua (same as above)
- V (unless I'm proven wrong)

V can save:
- Panam, Judy, River, Kerry (only River can die but they're all in a bad place without V)
- Johnny
- Takemura
- 17 cyberpsychos (!!)
- Saul and the entire Aldecaldos clan outside of Scorpion
- Sandra Dorsett
- River's nephew and the other kids
- Jeff Peralez (kinda)
- Blue Moon
- Meredith Stout
- Delamain and/or his kids
- All the people from the rescue gigs
- All the people threatened in the random NCPD quests or attacked by gangs
- The kidnapped monk, the corpo threatened by NPCD, Anna Hamill, the Jinguji guy
- That one guy that Claire wanted to kill
- Yorinobu/Saburo and Hanako (indirectly)
- Rogue (also indirectly, by not involving her in the attack on Arasaka)
- Nibbles (deserved)
- Technically everyone you attack non letally
- EDIT: Brick!

V can be Night City's Batman while dying and constantly glitching out, and successfully runs a solo assault on Arasaka. The only "important" thing they fail at (outside of saving Jackie, the other doomed characters are pretty much strangers so V's involvement is arguable) is their main objective.

Last edited:

V can't save:
- Jackie
- T-Bug
- Brendan (though I wonder why you can't try to stop the update, at least as a netrunner)
- Joshua (same as above)

V can save:
- Panam, Judy, River, Kerry (only River can die but they're all in a bad place without V)
- Johnny
- Takemura
- 17 cyberpsychos (!!)
- Sandra Dorsett
- Jeff Peralez (kinda)
- Blue Moon
- Meredith Stout
- The kidnapped monk, the corpo threatened by NPCD, Anna Hamill, the Jinguji guy
- Nibbles (deserved)

V can be Night City's Batman while dying and constantly glitching out, and successfully runs a solo assault on Arasaka. The only "important" thing they fail at (outside of saving Jackie, the other doomed characters are pretty much strangers so V's involvement is arguable) is their main objective.

Even more. You can decide not to kill Woodman, Royce, Fingers, the Netwatch agents or VBs, and save Nancy etc. A very tight schedule for a dying man.

PS. You can even spare Adam Smasher...

Last edited:
and I think this is the ones we got that many people hate:

Greater Threat So, you thought getting rid of the Antagonist ended the problem, eh? No; behind them stands a far greater threat! Sure, you took down the local Zhirafa head of security but that means you’ve attracted the attention of their boss or the gang leader you deposed was working for the Yakuza and now you have to deal with them. In this Scene, you discover that this is only the beginning, and another game lurks in the offing.

Pyrrhic Victory The Edgerunners won, technically. They finished the job and they killed the Antagonist, but their victory came at a hefty price. Their HQ burned to the ground or an important NPC died during the final confrontation. Whatever the case, while they’re walking away winners, the Edgerunners shouldn’t feel like it. Be careful—while this victory feels very Cyberpunk it can be a tough act to follow

I would have been satisfied with these (ex. my example from a few pages ago about V getting captured by Arasaka after Mikoshi, a bigger threat involving Alt's plan, or even the Temperance ending but seen from V's point of view instead of Johnny, adapting to cyberspace and looking for a way out).

Here it's the same antagonist, just weakened (dying from the relic damage but in 6 months instead of 2 weeks).

You still save yourself from the Relic's overwriting process, which is literally V's main goal throughout the entire game after Act I. But in exchange, you get a disease that lets you live for half a year instead of a couple of weeks. That's still a W in my eyes.

Unless a solution comes up during those 6 months, that's a failure for me. Not much better than V eating a bullet on the rooftop.
I'd consider the Temperance ending a good solution despite the loss of the body if I had a clear view of V's integrity in cyberspace (absorbed by Alt vs independent engram), and the epilogue showed them doing whatever rogue AIs do in their spare time instead of just focusing on Johnny.

V can't save:
- Jackie
- T-Bug
- Joshua (same as above)

V can save:
- Johnny
- Takemura
- 17 cyberpsychos (!!)
- Sandra Dorsett
- Jeff Peralez (kinda)
- Blue Moon
- Meredith Stout
- Nibbles (deserved)
- EDIT: Brick!

Game needs to be game with it's ludonarrative disonance, but also story needs to be story with "you are going to die in 2 weeks max". Normal person would do only this and then maybe resolves other things. Sure there is this 15k for Rouge, but we can consider that V should be quiet wealthy after montage/6mo with Jacki, and Act 1.

So this is like making many of the persons on the "save" list obsolete. You do not even save Panam, it's Panam who is using you for your money (that you paid to Rouge), you are just there as a bullet sponge - everything in Panam story Arc is Panam thinking V doing.

Second what story tell is that Death walks behind V (said by Rouge, as a comment about Jacki, Dex, T-Bug).
Before this we can learn that whole V's life before the game was rather a let down, and riddeld with failures (just so more conditioning - failure is the only option). You failed as a corpo (easy) nomad (medium) and street kid (hard failuer, both in Atlanta and then with Kirk mission). And afterwards is the long list of failures: V is too dumb to back off from The Heist, see how the Mo-Tell confrontation with Dex will end, to extract Hellman, to get see through Alt lies, even endings are not V, there always must be someone with the mind/instinct - Hanako, Panam, Johnny, Rouge, Alt, Hellman -take your pick. V is there only as a muscle, and one ending (Sun, with Rouge) is even reducing V to just that.

Top Bottom