[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I can't believe these are the conclusions people are drawing from this just to make sure Yorinobu is the victim. Wow.

That's how you feel about it because the game makes you sympathize with Yorinobu for some reason but the fact is it's not
You need to take a step back from your hatred of Yorinobu. We all dislike Yorinobu here (as a person) and no one is victimizing Yorinobu here.

Hmm except Yorinobu killed Saburo and attempted to kill his sister, then assumed control of the board and full power. He was an illegitimate leader, so there is no "coup".

I can't believe these are the conclusions people are drawing from this just to make sure Yorinobu is the victim. Wow.
Post automatically merged:

That's how you feel about it because the game makes you sympathize with Yorinobu for some reason but the fact is it's not, if she benefits from it then yeah that's part of her cunning ill-faith nature but Yorinobu killed his dad and attempted to kill her... This is pretty simple.

I don’t think he’s a victim, he’s just exactly as bad at doing things right as Jackie and V are. Yorinobu seems like a personification of the teen drama movies where the teenager tells their overly controlling father “no dad, I’m giving up YOUR dreams”, except then he murdered him. He’s anti-corp or at least not overly pro-corp from the lore I’ve seen and after a fit of rage/daddy issues coming to a head he’s put in the drivers seat of one of them so he’s going to drive into into the ground. If your V is also “fuck corpo-rats” outside of Johnny then leaving him as the leader makes sense.

You need to take a step back from your hatred of Yorinobu. We all dislike Yorinobu here (as a person) and no one is victimizing Yorinobu here.
I don't feel either way about anyone in the Arasaka family. They are all pieces of shit who deserve each other and deserve whatever they do to each other. But it's crazy how patricide and attempting to kill his sister seems to be no big deal to some of ya'll wtf

I don’t think he’s a victim, he’s just exactly as bad at doing things right as Jackie and V are. Yorinobu seems like a personification of the teen drama movies where the teenager tells their overly controlling father “no dad, I’m giving up YOUR dreams”, except then he murdered him. He’s anti-corp or at least not overly pro-corp from the lore I’ve seen and after a fit of rage/daddy issues coming to a head he’s put in the drivers seat of one of them so he’s going to drive into into the ground. If your V is also “fuck corpo-rats” outside of Johnny then leaving him as the leader makes sense.
Sorry no he is no different than daddy and sister. They all have their inner concept of benevolence and try to make what they do altruistic, but are really just the same terrible sacks of shit of which non deserve pity or sympathy. They game pushes the Johnny lense on the player so he comes of as some misunderstood antihero but he's really the same as the rest.

But it's crazy how patricide and attempting to kill his sister seems to be no big deal to some of ya'll wtf

Are you sure you don't feel anything for either of them? Cause no one above said this.

1) No matter what Yorinobu did, it doesn't change the terminology. Hanako is planning a coup -- that's a term.
2) There's an ending where Hanako gets to kill Yorinobu too. It's not all rainbows.

And yes,
They are all pieces of shit who deserve each other and deserve whatever they do to each other.

Are the "where are you V?" messages in the credits the same in the Johnny keeps the body endings as they are in the Sun ending?

If they are copy-pasted, I am going to exercise my right to ignore them and replace them with headcanon.

terrible sacks of shit of which non deserve pity or sympathy.
I don't understand why you think us pointing out what Hanako does (or intends to do) is giving any of them pity or sympathy. No one is here defending Yorinobu. Not one of us. No one is saying it's not a big deal.

Would you feel better if we say overthrow? Takeover? Ousting? Deposition? Yorinobu, by force, is firm in his place by the end of the game. Hanako, by force, intends to change that.

I don't feel either way about anyone in the Arasaka family. They are all pieces of shit who deserve each other and deserve whatever they do to each other. But it's crazy how patricide and attempting to kill his sister seems to be no big deal to some of ya'll wtf

Less “he’s my friend and did nothing wrong” and more “enemy of my enemy...”, I think. Hanako and Yorinobu seem like one of the better dichotomies they created to choose between in the game, neither of them are spectacular and you could argue one or the other is better/worse until you’re blue in the face because neither is perfect and they’re both horrible in their own ways.

I don't understand why you think us pointing out what Hanako does (or intends to do) is giving any of them pity or sympathy. No one is here defending Yorinobu. Not one of us. No one is saying it's not a big deal.

Would you feel better if we say overthrow? Takeover? Ousting? Deposition? Yorinobu, by force, is firm in his place by the end of the game. Hanako, by force, intends to change that.
It's not really a coup, it's him being brought to justice for being an illegitimate leader who killed the Emporer. That is completely different than saying that Hanako is staging a coup against a legitimate leader for her own personal gain

I wondered if she programmed Saburo's engram to do what she wants though. She is the one who finished the Arasaka version of soulkiller. We wouldn't by any information we have now but it's a possibility.

It's not really a coup, it's him being brought to justice for being an illegitimate leader who killed the Emporer. That is completely different than saying that Hanako is staging a coup against a legitimate leader for herown personal gain
Did we say that? Can you please quote me saying that so I can walk back my words or clarify or bow down your superior intellect?

I wondered if she programmed Saburo's engram to do what she wants though. She is the one who finished the Arasaka version of soulkiller. We wouldn't by any information we have now but it's a possibility.
I don't think so, but that would be an interesting twist.

Didn't you say it was a coup? That's what the debate was about. Maybe it was someone else.
Because it is. It's a small coup. It doesn't always have to be against a legitimate leader.

It's not really a coup, it's him being brought to justice for being an illegitimate leader who killed the Emporer. That is completely different than saying that Hanako is staging a coup against a legitimate leader for her own personal gain

Again, "coup" remains a "coup". Following your logic, we shouldn't use "kill Yorinobu" cause he's so bad.

Second, Hanako deciding to 1) kill Yorinobu; 2) in a perverted way by placing her father's engram inside (who can actually function simply as an engram) doesn't match my definition of justice either. Referring to your "wtf crazy y'all". :)

To me it would matter though. If Yorinobu's ideas make sense, maybe we should even side with him?
But the original post was not about why Yorinobu killed Saburo, but about why the corp isn't looking for Saburo's killer or their super-advanced piece of technology. Even NetWatch and VBs don't seem to care about it anymore -- Alt and the Blackwall suddenly became unimportant for them, till it's time for V to find them. Would've made more sense vice versa: everyone else looking for V (let's say that if V wasn't dying, they could just forget about the heist and live happily ever after, unrecognized and not being looked for. That's rubbish!).

Then, re: the previous post:
1) SK is important. You might want to know if V, the protagonist, is an engram in the body or an unaffected being. Likewise, you might want to know if Johnny's engram is the only one of a kind or not cause this can change your attitude to him. He's a coprotagonist, so why not. Also, Arasaka's ending: why can't they use SK on V AND let V go back to Earth if that's a copy? Why is it possible for braindancers and politicians but not V?
2) Knowing if Johnny is an angry bot or an angry human can also determine your attitude to him. Again, he's a coprotagonist - he's worth it.

Also, lots of this thread is about arguing how human Alt is and would she be prone to lying, so yes, it matters.

I agree that they could have made a plotline delving more into Arasaka politics, but that wasn't the plot of the story, so telling you would mess up their plot.

The Corp isn't looking for V because Yorinobu has no interest in V.

He also doesn't care much about relic, he was trying to get it away from Arasaka, He'd likely be happy if it ceased to exist. If he valued it, he wouldn't be giving it away for Intel.

Netwatch has no clue what happened to relic, probably figures Evelyn's plan got botched, And yorinobu no longer needs Intel against arasaka now that he runs it.

Vodooboy Leadership in charge of the relic/alt plan got captured by netwatch, They did still want it, but they had no knowledge where or who had it, then they got trapped. VDBs were in crisis mode when V finds them. Their netrunner braintrust was trapped and dying.

As far as the soulkilller stuff, this isn't really answered by the technology, its always left up to the reader/player to decide if an engram is a human, or real.

You are right, they can probably send V's body down after. This implies a couple of possibilities
1)they are sending Vs body away after, but that V will die.
2)they will cryostasis V's body after SKing him
3)the version of SK they sell/use for these guys is inferior to the ones that wipe you.

there was an email somewhere talking about the % accuracy/success rate with celeb engrams, but I don't remember the implications, other than some engrams are failed copies.

but, I think the main difference is the player perspective follows the engram if they choose this path.

This is my theory, but I also fully believe they soul killed you anyway in the Devil ending so I’m deep in conspiracy land. I think Arasaka is trying to learn how to reprogram engrams so they can replace politicians/important people with pro-Arasaka copies in direct competition with whoever is in charge of the Peralez “rewriting memories while they’re still alive” quest line.

This is my theory, but I also fully believe they soul killed you anyway in the Devil ending so I’m deep in conspiracy land. I think Arasaka is trying to learn how to reprogram engrams so they can replace politicians/important people with pro-Arasaka copies in direct competition with whoever is in charge of the Peralez “rewriting memories while they’re still alive” quest line.
The Devil ending so revels in hating you that I imagine they'd be more direct about whether they were trying to reprogram you, to be honest.

Johnny says they can already do that, with engrams, edit them.

Johnny says they can already do that, with engrams, edit them.

+ Lizzy Wizzy's quest is about it.

The Devil ending so revels in hating you that I imagine they'd be more direct about whether they were trying to reprogram you, to be honest.

There is that, but I expect the punishment for choosing Devil will continue on into any potential DLC. Imagine some Bioshock style “I’m going to shoot you now” and they get to be like “Oh, are you? I don’t think you will, or even can.” BOOM, you’re Adam Smasher 2.0 now, kiss the ring.

+ Lizzy Wizzy's quest is about it.

I’m not gonna lie, her quest was at the point in my game I stopped caring as much so a lot of her dialogue went over my head. I think I went directly from her to the endings. It definitely solidifies a lot of my headcanon, even if that’s probably not where things are going to end up in actual canon.

There is that, but I expect the punishment for choosing Devil will continue on into any potential DLC. Imagine some Bioshock style “I’m going to shoot you now” and they get to be like “Oh, are you? I don’t think you will, or even can.” BOOM, you’re Adam Smasher 2.0 now, kiss the ring.

I think it will be lonely and cutthroat, but I think they ll let you get a higher level of power and respect than you have in devil. But yeah, I doubt you can give them legal control without repercussions

Top Bottom