[Spoiler] Does Adam Smasher see you in this cutscene ?

+
hi, i have a question. so when V and Jackie do the heist to take the chip, during the cutscene where Yorinobu kills his father you can see Adam Smasher. If you have one of the cyberware mods that highlights the enemies that saw you (sorry can't remember what is called), you can see Adam Smasher is highlighted as if he saw you and he knew you are in the wall but he doesn't say anything.

There is 0 reason why he wouldn’t say something to Yorinobu, like “hey Yori, there’s 2 dudes in your wall”.

if you don’t hide and linger around in the apartment eventually he shows up and kills you on the spot. no reason why he wouldn’t do the same if he knew V is in the wall.

So at this point i’m 99% sure this is a bug. You only get to fight him once in the game as a boss battle. You start directly with him in the fight, there is no way to stealth around him. I believe enemies are coded in a “combat mode” and “idle mode”. Since Smasher is one boss fight his code is always in “combat mode”. The only reason he appears red as if he saw you is because they probably didn’t enable “idle mode” for this cutscene.

so i guess what i'm trying to find out, is this a bug or is there some story reason here.

Attachments

• image_2021-01-26_163251.png
    image_2021-01-26_163251.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 802
Pretty sure the only reason he's highlighted when you have Threat Detector Kiroshi mod is because he is actually looking at you in that cutscene, as in scripted forced detection sense, not in a sense that he actually knows V is in the wall, but in scripting sense. And all that for intimidation factor alone.
Best way to say it is probably: In lore, he has no idea you are there, but scripting wise and for added tension, his character model has detected you as soon as he is in line of sight.

Just an oversight since they probably didn't expect you to have many mods installed at this point.
You can see this kind of oversights all over the game.
One example is when in the car with Jackie, after leaving from Sandra Dorsett mission, you can hack NCPD Mech when they stop you at the bridge and destroy it with Short Circuit without even making the rest of NCPD hostile.

Roleplay Wise...

He may see you but dose he even care, looking down upon you as one dose an ant; he's been juiced up, chromed out, and on top for over 50 years. He may see you but welcomes a change from the monotony and want's to see how ti plays out... He may see you but may want you to take the Relic, just to see what happens.... :)

When he finally catches up to you in the Endgame, he is gleeful and the happiest he's been in a long time (at least to start).

I think he does but decides to leave you be because he simply does not care. For all he knows V and Jackie are just Yorinobus latest Joytoys hidding from his dad.
Or he simply decides "oh lets see what happens this could get interesting" After all he is a Cyborg Bodyguard and the Arasaka family has so many Guards, he probably is just bored all day with nothing to do besides terrorising the cleaning staff and flirting with a USB port.

I believe it made his day when smashing through that Wall to chase You,Jackie and Delamain. I think I even saw him smile briefly as Delamain slammed on the brakes.

But really i think its just a game mechanic thing.

If you don't get inside the pillar in time, then Smasher will enter the room alone and immediately detect and kill you. This bug may be related to that mechanic.

I think he does but decides to leave you be because he simply does not care. For all he knows V and Jackie are just Yorinobus latest Joytoys hidding from his dad.
Or he simply decides "oh lets see what happens this could get interesting" After all he is a Cyborg Bodyguard and the Arasaka family has so many Guards, he probably is just bored all day with nothing to do besides terrorising the cleaning staff and flirting with a USB port.

I believe it made his day when smashing through that Wall to chase You,Jackie and Delamain. I think I even saw him smile briefly as Delamain slammed on the brakes.

But really i think its just a game mechanic thing.

maybe but in this video
he kills you if you stay around the apartment and not go into the wall. so if he truly didn't care he wouldn't kill you at all when you just hang around in the other room.

Think its just an oversight in the threat detection system, I don't think its intended that smasher knows you are there but for reasons unknown says nothing.

Although you are only hiding behind a hollow partition wall, with tinted glass. You'd think Smasher would have pretty advanced optics (given the guy is 95% cyborg and has been working for araska for 30+ years), how does he not detect you?

Maybe he does and thinks you are part of Yorinubu's plan to off his father, the two scapegoats? He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who asks for many specific details even as head of security. He seems to even enjoy the fact that something might occur and then he can wade in and smash some skulls.

I guess he [smasher] doesn't bother scanning, as it seems Takumura is underway doing that, then gets told to stop and leave the room.

Last edited:
Just an oversight since they probably didn't expect you to have many mods installed at this point.
You can see this kind of oversights all over the game.
mostly this - you can also kill him without hiding if u are high enough which softlocks the game and progress, even more there is a vid someone glitched out of the tower by foot: hes standing outside and wont move, there u also can kill him easily. fun fact: in both cases he drops his key for his legendary weapon spec - but also both cases lock your progress... for reasons... they didnt expect either one or the other... : /

Has anyone tried not hiding in the Column and just use sneak to hide in the bedroom or the bathroom? I wonder if that would work?

Has anyone tried not hiding in the Column and just use sneak to hide in the bedroom or the bathroom? I wonder if that would work?
See the video above where they tried all variations of sneaking and hiding in different places, each time smasher just straight up detects V from anywhere in the room and kills them.

Its column, death or you can kill smasher but then you just screw up the game and block progress.

Top Bottom