Spoiler - Kerry's guitar

+
No idea who wrote the story for Kerry's romance, but clearly not a guitar player.

First the guitar body seems to change color in weird way, must either be some weird cyberpunk finish that changes its appearance in weird ways, or it's a glitch.

But ebony frets?? I wouldn't even try playing that guitar as the string would likely dig into the wood and be hard as hell to play, not to mention sound bad. Plus ebony isn't that rare of a wood, lots of guitars today have fretboard made out of it. It wouldn't be something incredibly rare. Brazilian rosewood fretboard, we're going somewhere. They're rare now and surely will be more rare in 2077.

Rusty strings? Kerry needs to change the string. Guitar probably sounds terrible due to poor intonation.

Reverse polarity pickup? Not sure what he means by this but humbuckers are always reverse polarity on one of its pickup coils. They do this to cancel out the hum. Also I think the middle pickup of most 3 pickup stratocaster type guitars are reverse polarity because then you can use switch position 2, 4 to have reduced hum. Not particularly rare or special.

I can see why Kerry smashed it afterwards. Paid too many eddies for a shit guitar (and it probably belonged to his POS manager too).

Oh? Where is the problem? There are huge immersion breaking problems in nearly every game or film or other entity of entertainment segment. And THIS guitar is the reason to complain? Really?

How do you feel about:
  • hacking in games and films? they are BS in probably 99,99% of all scenes.
  • teleport in Star Trek? It is a death trap!
  • Jason Brady and his healing methods in FC3?

Oh? Where is the problem? There are huge immersion breaking problems in nearly every game or film or other entity of entertainment segment. And THIS guitar is the reason to complain? Really?

How do you feel about:
  • hacking in games and films? they are BS in probably 99,99% of all scenes.
  • teleport in Star Trek? It is a death trap!
  • Jason Brady and his healing methods in FC3?
True, but the only thing that would've been needed to make this realistic is like five minutes of conversation with a guitar player or maybe ten minutes on wikipedia.

But ebony frets?? I wouldn't even try playing that guitar as the string would likely dig into the wood and be hard as hell to play, not to mention sound bad. Plus ebony isn't that rare of a wood, lots of guitars today have fretboard made out of it. It wouldn't be something incredibly rare. Brazilian rosewood fretboard, we're going somewhere. They're rare now and surely will be more rare in 2077.
Actually CDRP got this right.

Ebony has been used as material for a long time, probably most famous examples being some Ibanez Jem 7 series models, since the late 80's (they switched to rosewood later due economics). I recall testing one of those Ibanez and one Fender with ebonite fretboard late 80's. Fender was probably one of those ridiculously expensive signature models. Any way, experience was nothing like you describe. Go to guitar shop, try yourself.

Actually CDRP got this right.

Ebony has been used as material for a long time, probably most famous examples being some Ibanez Jem 7 series models, since the late 80's (they switched to rosewood later due economics). I recall testing one of those Ibanez and one Fender with ebonite fretboard late 80's. Fender was probably one of those ridiculously expensive signature models. Any way, experience was nothing like you describe. Go to guitar shop, try yourself.

Please listen to what Kerry said. He said Ebony FRETS. Yes ebony is used as fretboard materials and it is actually very good fretboard material. It's hard and dense, and fairly strong so it doesn't get all chewed up from playing. But usually you have a metal wire as frets. You don't use ebony as frets as the wood is not anywhere near as hard as metal. Unless there was some mix up with voice acting... If you used ebony wood as fret material (the metal thing the string rests on when you play them) the thing will wear through immediately. They may work for nylon strings but nobody use wood as fret materials. I have encountered luthiers here who somehow convinced someone to use wood as guitar nuts, on a steel string guitar. The guitar sounded bad predictably.

I build guitars by the way.

I build guitars by the way.
Didn't remembered that conversation exactly. But I think it should be very obvious then what happened there. They mixed up fret and fretboard at some place. They meant Kerry to say fretboard. I checked video and fretboard color matches ebony while frets appear to be metal. So what Kerry says is not consistent with visual presentation either.

I was extremely put off by Swedenborg's aphorisms from the fortuneteller. These were clearly just a pastiche of anarcho-marxist tropes without making any sense what so ever.

I mean seriously, who comes up with this trash. Any idiot with half a brain can mash their hands on a keyboard and come up with a half decent google search in five minutes, 10 at tops, to get a much better understanding of how socio-political thought and the disparities inherent in any capitalist economic system are going to result in a dystopian future where we eat Maelstrom supplied human corpses re-packaged in flavor tubes under the AllFoods/Orgiatic brand.

To be clear about this:

Moderation, please move if applicable

Bug Report

Bug: Non Player Character Kerry Eyrodyne's dialogue is incoherent / inconsistent during "Boat Drinks". Segment / objective: Talk to Kerry on yacht.

Details: Kerry refers to his guitar having ebonite frets when he should refer to ebonite fretboard (fingerboard). Frets are part of fretboard, not the fretboard. Using material such as ebony would be nonsensical in terms of real world and Cyberpunk 2077 universe.
Line appears after V asks Kerry about his guitar where Kerry replies;
"It's tailored with a reversed-polarity pickup, ebony frets, and one silky smooth Kaimar vibrato."

In graphical presentation of scene NPC Kerry is playing guitar that fretboard material appears to be ebony and frets appear to be made of metal, design that makes sense in and out of Cyberpunk 2077 universe and is consistent with graphical presentation of guitars in and out of Cyberpunk 2077 universe. Kerry's dialogue is not consistent with graphical presentation.

Suggested fixes:

Spoken dialogue by NPC Kerry Eyrodyne should be changed to say "fretboard" or "fingerboard" instead of "frets" in sentence
"It's tailored with a reversed-polarity pickup, ebony frets, and one silky smooth Kaimar vibrato." to
"It's tailored with a reversed-polarity pickup, ebony fretboard, and one silky smooth Kaimar vibrato."

Changing graphical presentation of Kerry's guitar in scene would make scene even more absurd. Changing graphical presentation of guitar Kerry is playing in scene would make that inconsistent with how guitars are presented elsewhere in game.

Subtitles: Subtitles for scene should be fixed according to Kerry's spoken dialogue.

Video of bug:

To be clear about this:

Moderation, please move if applicable

Bug Report

Bug: Non Player Character Kerry Eyrodyne's dialogue is incoherent / inconsistent during "Boat Drinks". Segment / objective: Talk to Kerry on yacht.

Details: Kerry refers to his guitar having ebonite frets when he should refer to ebonite fretboard (fingerboard). Frets are part of fretboard, not the fretboard. Using material such as ebony would be nonsensical in terms of real world and Cyberpunk 2077 universe.
Line appears after V asks Kerry about his guitar where Kerry replies;
"It's tailored with a reversed-polarity pickup, ebony frets, and one silky smooth Kaimar vibrato."

In graphical presentation of scene NPC Kerry is playing guitar that fretboard material appears to be ebony and frets appear to be made of metal, design that makes sense in and out of Cyberpunk 2077 universe and is consistent with graphical presentation of guitars in and out of Cyberpunk 2077 universe. Kerry's dialogue is not consistent with graphical presentation.

Suggested fixes:

Spoken dialogue by NPC Kerry Eyrodyne should be changed to say "fretboard" or "fingerboard" instead of "frets" in sentence
"It's tailored with a reversed-polarity pickup, ebony frets, and one silky smooth Kaimar vibrato." to
"It's tailored with a reversed-polarity pickup, ebony fretboard, and one silky smooth Kaimar vibrato."

Changing graphical presentation of Kerry's guitar in scene would make scene even more absurd. Changing graphical presentation of guitar Kerry is playing in scene would make that inconsistent with how guitars are presented elsewhere in game.

Subtitles: Subtitles for scene should be fixed according to Kerry's spoken dialogue.

Video of bug:

I should add that there are graphical glitches as you are getting on the boat and as Kerry grabs the guitar and starts playing them. The guitar body's paint job flickers like a bad screen.

I think out of all glaring problems with the Kerry romance as an abject inferior product compared to Judy/Panam, the verisimilitude of a guitar is the least of them.

You have a character who's part of an obscure and easily missed side-job questline, the single gay romance option locked behind the requirement that you hand over your body so Johnny can kiss a woman.

With marginal content or integration into the main story.

Written like a complete fling who's totally uninterested in your affairs for 95% of the story, until the very end where he says he doesn't want to lose you if you pick a certain ending. With no reasoning behind it whatsoever as you barely spend any time with him and he shows no particular context for sudden attachment.

A character that's written basically as a discount Johnny Silverhand without the principles or guts. Your site of romance? Thrashing a boat and setting it on fire like immature adolescents while Judy and Panam get these touching adventures with the family and the Basilisk or the amazing dive scene after a long sidequest chain of either the nomads or the dolls.

Look at the models too, the male bodies are low texture with flat asses while Judy and Panam have banging bodies with skin hugging attires up to their buttcrack, including the diving suit.

Or the fact your playthrough as a nomad with a nomad-friendly ending after building up your family ends up with getting dumped.

The romances are so lopsided in favor of the female love interests to such a ridiculous degree.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I think out of all glaring problems with the Kerry romance as an abject inferior product compared to Judy/Panam, the verisimilitude of a guitar is the least of them.
Well, I play the guitar for many years now and although I didn't play this quest yet I can already tell the it's going to bother me. But to be fair, it's not as bad as the feeling that I got when having to jump on stage in order to say goodbye to a hundreds of fans right after seeing a person dying who became a friend (even if I'm supposed to play someone else...)
...which is the ending of act#1

Last edited:
I should add that there are graphical glitches as you are getting on the boat and as Kerry grabs the guitar and starts playing them. The guitar body's paint job flickers like a bad screen.
Didn't happen to me (Xbox One X, game ver. 1.1).

And that is a different bug. The best you could do is file it with your self, because hardware used is relevant to pin it down.

Cross platform issues like this dialogue error with Kerry are simpler and finding and filing these can in the end improve user experience for everyone. (y)

You know the bug is that Kerry plays this 1 in 5 guitars in existence, the other owned by the head of Militech, but I'm guessing one of the other 3 is in the hand of a street musician.

Screenshot (16).png

Or maybe the guitar is not as rare as Kerry said it was...

Who cares about the guitar itself, the whole quest is stupid. Its hostile zone the whole time and the dude watches you rob his house and does nothing about it.

Top Bottom