[Spoiler] Need to shut down River

+
every gender/body type has one choice. straight males get one option, gay males get one option.
Post automatically merged:

river= straight female
panam=straight male
judy= gay female
kerry=gay male

everyone gets only one option

Reminds me of this, lol.

1613852102298.png

All I can say is a long romance story arc through DLCs with Takemura would be perfect. When I think about it, even if they gave us the opportunity to romance Takemura in the current game, it just wouldn't feel like the right time. You're still figuring each other out, if you can even trust the other to keep up their end of the deal. A relationship would come off as manipulation. You have your health to deal with and Takemura is a fugitive anyway. And it would just be completely out of character for Takemura to have a relationship with someone that was not in good graces with the Arasaka family. I was upset about the fact we couldn't romance him for a while but then I realized that it just wouldn't work out right at this time. I now believe CDPR made the best decision. V must become loyal to the Arasakas if she wants to continue a friendship or relationship with Takemura and that can be the only way. They shouldn't even express feeling or anything until you fulfill the mission and at least wait a little while after you come out of Mikoshi, too. It really sucks that we are gonna have to rely on a DLC to go further but I think that is the best way to continue the story.
I thought exactly the same! Now it's up to them to give us a proper romance with Goro! I think they know how popular he is and it would be a shame to ignore this.

The thing with River is that it appears from the game files that he was planned to be a much bigger character than he ended up being. He is named subchak or sobchak in the game files and the main quest where Takamura shoots Dex at the landfill is called "visions_and_sobchak". So I think at some point in the game's development, River was originally planned to save V from the landfill instead of Takamura and he would have main story relevance.

Panam's main story arc is Ghost Town/Lightning Breaks/Life in Wartime. Judy's main arc is Automatic Love/The Space in Between/Disasterpiece. Double Life is the bridge into M'app Tenn Pelen/Transmission/Never Fade Away (which I think of as Johnny's main arc).

These 3 mission clusters are conjoined narratively and lead directly into the next one. So for example, While Judy's arc technically has 4 if you include Double Life, that is the introductory mission to lead into Johnny's arc. Both Sides, Now can be considered either the denoument for Judy's main mission trilogy or the beginning of her side arc (which is called sq026 "working_doll"). You can think of this as Judy's romance arc.

So with River, what we get is essentially a side arc without a main arc and that is why I think his romance story happens very suddenly. I think the picnic and laser tag with his neice and nephew is fine and is really quite charming in a way. The whole thing is incredibly wholesome. The problem is that you have only done 2 missions with River when he calls you saying he missed you.

So think about how much character development happens with Judy between Automatic Love and Disasterpiece. How much you get to know Panam between Ghost Town and Life in Wartime. Thats what River is missing for me.

Hey, can you tell me what the path directory to find this information (e.g. subchak/sobchak) is on the PC if you got the game through Steam? I've been trying to find files related to quests, dialogues, characters, etc and am having a hard time locating those. Thanks.

Calling them in the end decision is worthless. Dating them is worthless. They aren't useful past their missions. Having sex should do something basic. Like fully heal V. Gain storage in the apartments.

I cant help but thinking that its weird to say they are useless and dating is worthless because at some point it holds sounds a bit cruel even if we know that its a game.

Come on, you want to have sex with NPC to be fully healed? Thats just crazy. Keep in mind of how many injures (and diseases) you might get during sex!

I really dislike all of these suggestions because it gameifies these characters.

Part of the reason I think the characters in Cyberpunk are so well realized is because there is a kind of realism about them. It feels as if they exist in the gameworld, with or without you. They have their own motivations and desires and they pursue them as if they had their own agency.

They are not available all the time so a player can replay a sex scene. They are not mannequins whose sole purpose is to be used by the player whenever they feel like. I don't really want them to have progress bar indicators exposing game mechanics because in immersive, narrative driven games, mechanics should be hidden. With things like the Johnny affinity meter I have no idea why its even in the game. All it did for me is give me a false impression of how far away the end of the game was.
I kinda agree with that, I don't like progress bars and indicators with hearts too because it breaks immersion, but, the problem is that LI's in this game actually have no real deeply developed personality or preferences except for "gender is ok>sex/gender is not ok>no sex" check.
No matter if this specific character can be romanced by V or not, he/she will act the same till the very last trigger "gay/straight".
No matter if you are kind with them or antagonize them, they will treat you the same.

River is the most awkward one with his family dinner and chilling under the stars. This scene and all dialogs are the same for male and female V, the only difference is that he will reject male V if he try to kiss him.

Judy's Pyramid song quest has romantic vibes too, and it is the same for male and female V, she will sit in bathroom half naked with male V as well as with female, after that she can have sex with miss V and sleep alone in case of mr V, and that is a final quest no matter if you romanced her or not, she will disappear from the story anyway.

Part of the reason I think the characters in Cyberpunk are so well realized is because there is a kind of realism about them. It feels as if they exist in the gameworld, with or without you. They have their own motivations and desires and they pursue them as if they had their own agency.

They are not available all the time so a player can replay a sex scene. They are not mannequins whose sole purpose is to be used by the player whenever they feel like. I don't really want them to have progress bar indicators exposing game mechanics because in immersive, narrative driven games, mechanics should be hidden. With things like the Johnny affinity meter I have no idea why its even in the game. All it did for me is give me a false impression of how far away the end of the game was.

This is very important point. Characters are better than I have encountered in any game ever. There are worse characters in novels, tv-shows and movies than what we got here and I wouldn't want them any other way.

I was male Nomad and scene on tower didn't bother me. (my char was with Panam already) I really liked River's character and him trying his luck fits perfectly how these characters has their agendas. I saw you post that River had at some point of production bigger role, but I really liked this character despite that. There's a story within a story with his most important network being his family after all. It's not highlighted and a lot of things in game are subtle like that and I absolutely like this way CDPR delivers them.

It's up to player preferences how much game romances weight to begin with, then how much romance weights on character, how much game should focus on those aspects. It's a pity if players weight character entirely on sexual basis when they are much more, but that's on player responsibility, like them, hate them, that's freedom.

Following the River is the most awkward shit I ever played in my life. The fact that V is so flirty towards him, even though she's already in a relationship, makes it that much worse. And it wouldn't be so bad if my V is straight, but she wasn't.
Why isn't there a third option to tell him that you are already with someone else or that you are not into him/guys?

I want to keep clicking the Red Point button over and over for you.

The writer:
MWTmWhwQ.jpeg

Hey, can you tell me what the path directory to find this information (e.g. subchak/sobchak) is on the PC if you got the game through Steam? I've been trying to find files related to quests, dialogues, characters, etc and am having a hard time locating those. Thanks.

I used CP77Tools to uncook basegame_4_gamedata.archive in the game installation folder. You will need about 42gb free.

Go to /base/quests/ and you will see all the sub folders for main quests, side quests and minor quests. They have the following identifiers:

Main Quest = q
Side Quest = sq
Minor Quest = mq

River's romance quest is sq0029 and he is referred to as sobchuk.

q101 is the main quest that covers the story from when V relives Johnny's memory of the second Arasaka Tower assault (the one with the nuke) all the way up to meeting Takamura at Tom's Diner.

Check the vfx and audio layer subfolders for q101 and you will find an interesting left over, presumably when the game was at an earlier stage of development.

q101_01_covered_in_trash.json
q101_02_vision_and_sobchuk.json
q101_03_car_ride.json

So between V waking up in the landfill and the car chase sequence with Takamura, River's name just mysteriously appears. There is no q102. This could have been a cut main quest sequence involving River but we will never know unless the devs want to spill the beans! q103 is Panam's main arc starting with Ghost Town.

With regards to cut content, I don't think its as simple as simply restoring it and everything works. So I don't think you can interpret what you see in the game files too literally. What ever visions_andsobchuk refers to was removed for a reason. In song writing I throw away material all the time in idea and production stage and its not something you can just put back.

Nevertheless, in the game's real state, River is a character that has a dearth of quests. He is essentially missing a trilogy of main missions (as with Panam and Judy) or a long sequence of side missions (as with Kerry) that precede the romance.

If you imagine for instance that the only missions Judy had were Talkin Bout a Revolution, Pisces and Pyramid Song, then that is the situation River is in. Judy's romance arc wouldn't make sense. You don't know who Judy is and V has not developed a bond with Judy through shared adversity. Judy never helped V get intel on the Heist, V never helped Judy find and rescue Evelyn. Evelyn was never a part of Judy's life and her suicide was never a painful moment V and Judy both experienced together.

Instead, Judy would phone V out of the blue asking her to kill some Tyger Claw bosses in a brothel. No matter what you do, it fails and then you go on a date where Judy goes diving with a rando she has only known for 48 hours. Also, if V does not indicate she wants a long term relationship, Judy gets angry. This would all seem incredibly strange.

Last edited:
I thought exactly the same! Now it's up to them to give us a proper romance with Goro! I think they know how popular he is and it would be a shame to ignore this.
I think they know they will lose a lot of money if they don't do it at this point lol... He should never be removed from the story.
Post automatically merged:

Following the River is the most awkward shit I ever played in my life. The fact that V is so flirty towards him, even though she's already in a relationship, makes it that much worse. And it wouldn't be so bad if my V is straight, but she wasn't.

All of these choices below literally imply that you were/are straight. How come one of these doesn't have the word "girlfriend" in them? Which, when picked, could immediately make River realize that he is not your type and end it right there and then.
View attachment 11181326

The only way to make it less awkward is to choose the other chain of choices where V is quoting him all the shit pick-up lines she has gotten in the past. But even then, you can interpret that as V being straight - again, which is just, what the hell. Why isn't there a third option to tell him that you are already with someone else or that you are not into him/guys?

Yeah and the past stories about relationships were creepy as fuck... Why do we even have an option to start talking about some past "boyfriend" who likes to wear presidents masks in the bedroom??? Wtf??? Especially to some weird dude you aren't into who is practically trying to propose to you after 3 quests

Last edited:

Guest 4412420

I guess most people will appreciate just a few things like story long enough so you really get to know and like (or not) your love interest, possible exit doors on a way so you dont feel pushed and some kind of continuation or small activity once you officialy get girl/boyfriend.
This. That's really what most people want. Just a couple of more interactions with the LIs and have them acknowledge the relationship when you go to visit them. I personally couldn't care less about sex scenes, all I want is to have something new to talk about when my V goes to visit his LI (and maybe take him on a rollercoaster date cause you can use it more than once).

This. That's really what most people want. Just a couple of more interactions with the LIs and have them acknowledge the relationship when you go to visit them. I personally couldn't care less about sex scenes, all I want is to have something new to talk about when my V goes to visit his LI (and maybe take him on a rollercoaster date cause you can use it more than once).
Yeah I prefer a romance to be more of a means of characters intimately sharing their backgrounds and beliefs rather than a booty call... They are good opportunities for a lot of storytelling and world development.

Apparently there is an option to shut down River permanently and requires leaving him at the farm just before you enter this killer barn. If you go back to Night City and come back later on, you will find Rivers body as he failed while confronting security turrets or mines... I know, it`s a bit extreme may but just saying... ;)

Honestly, who gives a fuck? I am les-woman and I did not feel awkward or really gave a damn about River trying to seduce my V. I had both River and Judy as partners by the end of the game and in no form or way I ever felt uncomfortable; hell I messed around with Kerry Eurodyne for the lulz.

I think what's happening is that the dialogue options are too vague and we default to Top Option = Agree; Bottom Option = Disagree because they typically follow that pattern. People are griping about specific dialogue options and they all seem to be the 'bottom' choices. I think players are getting to those flirty dialogues and trying to shut them down but inadvertently choosing the worst outcome.

The big one seems to be after River tries his line. The top option has V rat off a bunch of lame (and very unrequited) pickup lines she's heard and still fits fine with a lesbian V. The bottom option is the one all about past boyfriends.

I think the line up to the water tower about a romantic stroll could be a timed optional dialogue instead.

As for the general mood of the quest, I think people are just not at all used to heavy flirting from male characters. No one seems to notice any hypocrisy in complaining about River's scene but not Judy in her underwear in the bathroom while she tries to kiss V. Would it be different if the River/Judy scenes were swapped?

As for the general mood of the quest, I think people are just not at all used to heavy flirting from male characters. No one seems to notice any hypocrisy in complaining about River's scene but not Judy in her underwear in the bathroom while she tries to kiss V. Would it be different if the River/Judy scenes were swapped?

Main reason is that in current culture there are double standards to everyone. If you were to translate all of Judy's dialogue to River peeps would say he's a creep or similar. This thread alone is appalling just by the fact it exists.

Last edited:
Come on, you want to have sex with NPC to be fully healed? Thats just crazy. Keep in mind of how many injures (and diseases) you might get during sex!

um, well... there is RL scientific studies to support this concept. But then laughing has also been shown to help healing. ;)

Apparently there is an option to shut down River permanently and requires leaving him at the farm just before you enter this killer barn. If you go back to Night City and come back later on, you will find Rivers body as he failed while confronting security turrets or mines... I know, it`s a bit extreme may but just saying... ;)
Poor River, and can his revolver Crash be looted? :D

So my V is only into girls, plus she is already in a relationship with Judy. Can you add a better way to shut him down during the picnic? V should be able to say right there when eating that she is in a relationship already. Also, I don't see my V as ever having been with a man but once they take a walk she starts talking about old boyfriends or guys who hit on her.

Did I miss something, I don't recall flirting with him, just trying to be a friend, like I was/am with Panam.

I feel like I have to skip this quest entirely.

If someone knows a way to do the quest but shut him down in a better way, or tell me where I messed up, please let me know.

Thanks!
Came here to ask the same question. Super awkward to have to stir his food, play with the children, then sit through dinner.
I tried just beating the kids at the game and not answering at the table - but he kept right on.
I left him standing on the top of the muddy hill to the water tower - and that’s where he’ll stay.
sorrynotsorry

The very first time I played, I only did the peralez mission where you're introduced to him. I never followed up on his arc afterwards.
The second time -which was my longplay sort of- I chose the dialog option where you leave him ober dinner, fully with the mindset on my part a) this is going too fast and b) I'm into Judy... None can be said.
I received a text later from Joss I think her name was... River was dead, Randy also I think and I should never come there again. I was like, geez... I just didn't care for the guy romantically... Not my fault he got himself hung up over it and got killed.

The third time I was like, gotta see what this is about and I agree with y'all. River is a cool character, but the relationship asect feels like a feverdream in overdrive. Its very ackwardly paced, there's no middleground or casualness. You're straight 'full-on dating' if you want to actually do those quests.
Nome of the other romances have this.
Panam, Judy and Kerry all only have it as the 'end' of their quests and most of it leading there feels much more like being close friends that eventually become more.
But with River it is like we skip straight to the end and ooh.. then we need to find some kid.
And the annoying thing is, that questline is cool its just it shouldn't have been also the romance questline.

I'm sorry for River, but in my playthroughs... You eother die or we will split after helping the Peralez family, but I can walk through that questline anymore without feeing ot very offputting for the experience.

All playthroughs are with Female V on my part.

Top Bottom