[Spoiler] Need to shut down River

+
Well I'm glad they changed him to Takemura then. Don't know how they could have written River into that scene. But if River was the one to force Dex to drag me out of the garbage / shot him in the face right in front of me, that would completely change how I feel about a romance possibility with him.
I'm glad that didn't happen for another reason. Because him not going with you in the the end of the game. Would have made him look worse. Than he already does in game.

But, I think the feedback here is pretty clear that River's persistence is more of a gameplay hassle than a role-playing hassle.

That's incorrect.

It's a role playing problem because the player is not given enough options in dialogue to react to River's actions in a way that aligns with their vision of who their V is. You really only have 2 choices.
* Do not go see River at all (refuse Follow the River)
* Allow River to romance you for the entire evening before crushing him at the very end.

There's a lot of middle ground that the game simply disallows you from expressing (or "role playing" in this case), the most obvious of which is "I'M ALREADY DATING JUDY." This question is literally asked directly to you and you aren't allowed to answer it, which is extremely frustrating.

(Really you should have the option to mention Judy way earler if you are already in a relationship with her.)

Bug?

Attachments

• 111111.jpg
    111111.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 119
There's a lot of middle ground that the game simply disallows you from expressing (or "role playing" in this case), the most obvious of which is "I'M ALREADY DATING JUDY." This question is literally asked directly to you and you aren't allowed to answer it, which is extremely frustrating.

It is also a little strange that a talented detective with years of experience has such a broken gaydar. I was a little disappointed in River for not picking up on that after all the time he and V spent together.

That's incorrect.

It's a role playing problem because the player is not given enough options in dialogue to react to River's actions in a way that aligns with their vision of who their V is. You really only have 2 choices.
* Allow River to romance you for the entire evening before crushing him at the very end.

(Really you should have the option to mention Judy way earler if you are already in a relationship with her.)
Yeah we are sorta forced to make our V act like she has to be attracted to him up until the point we have a beer alone on the roof or whatever it is. We can't cut it off there when they talk about b eing setup at jambalaya dinner. It's very uncomfortable for a female and I assume even more so if you aren't straight. I honestly didn't know how far it was gonna go at Jambalaya dinner, I was starting to worry they weren't gonna allow V to walk away from the romance at that point (as in by agreeing to jambalaya dinner you agree to sex). I hope CDPR understands that this was kind of sexist and inappropriate. If you were given the option to even say whether you were into him it would be different, but you don't. I went and did the quest thinking you were just hanging out and talking and you could tell him you want to be friends before all that, before the uncomfortable conversation and definitely before being lead to the roof. Maybe they should make a bunch of dialogue options throughout the quests to indicate your attraction. V can proposition Takemura without being set up to do it. You are just talking as friends, you aren't getting lead into a situation. It's an just an option you can take. By doing that then you make it clear that is the direction you want your character to go so later on if there's an opportunity and you want to have a relationship then you have more freedom for the NPC to be flirtatious. Or for V to respond with flirtation automatically.
Post automatically merged:

It is also a little strange that a talented detective with years of experience has such a broken gaydar. I was a little disappointed in River for not picking up on that after all the time he and V spent together.
Or maybe he's one of those who has a good gaydar and doesn't care about it like those who demand Judy be bi LOL

Last edited:
That's incorrect.

saying you have a girlfriend/boyfriend does not always stop advances, many people cheat and some people are poly. Its easily possible he still would have clarified his intention on the roof.

I think the reality is, going on something that could be a date, with someone you have no interest in, ends up awkward like 50% of the time. This is very true irl, so not sure why yall think it wouldn't be in game. River is not presented as a slick guy, hes the type to go on a roof and just spurt out his feelings.

it'd have went like this, "I know you got a girlfriend but, I feel a connection to you... I just need to know, do I have a shot?"

river was gonna go down hard, no matter what, if you weren't interested in him.

it'd have went like this, "I know you got a girlfriend but, I feel a connection to you... I just need to know, do I have a shot?"

No, I do not agree, as much as the guy annoyed me and I thought he was not very perceptive (especially for an detective with years of experience) he was definitely not that kind of jerk and had enough class and humanity as proven by his sacrifice in the game.

Or maybe I am giving him too much credit, but for christ sake he gave up his career for family!
Maybe I am blinded too much by his selflessness for his kin. :shrug:

Last edited:
saying you have a girlfriend/boyfriend does not always stop advances, many people cheat and some people are poly. Its easily possible he still would have clarified his intention on the roof.

I think the reality is, going on something that could be a date, with someone you have no interest in, ends up awkward like 50% of the time. This is very true irl, so not sure why yall think it wouldn't be in game. River is not presented as a slick guy, hes the type to go on a roof and just spurt out his feelings.

river was gonna go down hard, no matter what, if you weren't interested in him.
OK. We don't want to be pushed into that. It's pretty simple.

I'd like to think that the writers aren't so clueless that they would have River try to throw himself at someone who already told him that they are in a relationship, especially since it would be with a woman.

I liked River, and wish there was more to his quests and romance, but definitely think that there should have been more of a friendship path in Following the River. Panam and Judy feel a lot more like friends when you're not romancing them, but they get almost all of the attention anyway so that's not a surprise.

No, I do not agree, as much as the guy annoyed me and I thought he was not very perceptive (especially for an detective with years of experience) he was definitely not that kind of jerk and had enough class and humanity as proven by his sacrifice in the game.

Or maybe I am giving him too much credit, but for christ sake he gave up his career for family!
Maybe I am blinded too much by his selflessness for his kin. :shrug:
I'd like to think that the writers aren't so clueless that they would have River try to throw himself at someone who already told him that they are in a relationship, especially since it would be with a woman.

I liked River, and wish there was more to his quests and romance, but definitely think that there should have been more of a friendship path in Following the River. Panam and Judy feel a lot more like friends when you're not romancing them, but they get almost all of the attention anyway so that's not a surprise.

ok, serious question, have you never been, nor heard about a situation where;
someone made a declaration to someone in a relationship
had some one make a declaration to someone in a relationship
been in an open relationship
cheated on a relationship.

By no means am I saying V should want to get with River, I'm just saying river likes V a lot for whatever reason, he is the type of guy who is going to make his feelings known, regardless of whether he was going to succeed or fail. And as far as I have seen IRL, thats pretty common with people who like someone eventually.

Basically saying I think river making an awkward love confession on the tower is in character from what we see.

If V said they had no interest, I think he wouldn't try, but that usually only comes up once someone makes an attempt

Last edited:
ok, serious question, have you never been, nor heard about a situation where;
someone made a declaration to someone in a relationship
had some one make a declaration to someone in a relationship
been in an open relationship
cheated on a relationship.

By no means am I saying V should want to get with River, I'm just saying river likes V a lot for whatever reason, he is the type of guy who is going to make his feelings known, regardless of whether he was going to succeed or fail. And as far as I have seen IRL, thats pretty common with people who like someone eventually.

Basically saying I think river making an awkward love confession on the tower is in character from what we see.

Oh, I know those kind of things happen, I just hope that the writers wouldn't put characters that are not attracted to straight men into a situation where they are being pressured by one. I like River, but right now he comes off as enamored with V, which is nice if you already like his character, but if you had established that you were in a relationship with Judy, it could feel like he's invalidating your character's sexuality, which is not cool. Women who are attracted to women in real life already have to deal with guys who think they can change or "fix" them, it would suck if they were put into this scenario in order to get a good gun in a game.

Oh, I know those kind of things happen, I just hope that the writers wouldn't put characters that are not attracted to straight men into a situation where they are being pressured by one. I like River, but right now he comes off as enamored with V, which is nice if you already like his character, but if you had established that you were in a relationship with Judy, it could feel like he's invalidating your character's sexuality, which is not cool. Women who are attracted to women in real life already have to deal with guys who think they can change or "fix" them, it would suck if they were put into this scenario in order to get a good gun in a game.

well, the iconic Guns for (almost )romance thing is kinda weird. I see they wanted to reward players for following these plotlines to their logical conclusions, but it leads to a lot of awkwards for players not interested.

Overall, I think they also need to have some type of abandon quest or resolve quests, I know a lot of players seem to feel a need to clear the quest queue.

Yeah we are sorta forced to make our V act like she has to be attracted to him up until the point we have a beer alone on the roof or whatever it is. We can't cut it off there when they talk about b eing setup at jambalaya dinner. It's very uncomfortable for a female and I assume even more so if you aren't straight. I honestly didn't know how far it was gonna go at Jambalaya dinner

All of them are like that. Because they only have preset no moments. It's more of the fake choice problem. They have to allow the same sequences. To make sure you get Rivers unlock. Than the game is like: Oh, you're male, River doesn't work, load this line. *immersion break* Panam puts her legs on top of female V for no reason. And I'm like, uh, more of that fake choice I see. Kerry being the worse. He already told me he doesn't like Female V. Than goes and puckers up when your breaking that picture frame. How about properly animate the actions and choices, pls. Even being an asshole to Judy will not block you from dating her. You have to still say no at the preset points. And the only relationship that allows you to end all chances. Is if you tell Saul the truth about Panam. Only than, she deletes you from your phone.

Last edited:

Well, it is not any different on the other side of the line. I started the romance with River (not my first romance choice, but my real choice can't be romanced). I helped Judy as a friend. Then I did Judy's Pyramid song, I already had a relationship with River and I didn't flirt in any way with her, but still, there was the kiss option moment, and when I didn't kiss her she went straight to her bed. This was really awkward. And like this is not enough, she leaves the NC and it seems more like V's fault because she rejects her. I know that this is a game, but the feeling that it delivers to the player is quite important.

Five updates are needed to romances. One: a visual or audio indication that X character is a romance option. You need to spell it out for the player. This is why they give all these damn chances to still date them. Because if it did work like in real life. Most if not all would be failed early on. Like Because of Judy being a dick towards V at the start.

Two: Rejection options need to be available at all the points of the yes options. Not to mention "I'm in a relationship option is badly needed." Judy also needs a "I don't want to date you. I don't want to emotionally take advantage of you. After Eve's death." It's really creepy that I had no option to say this.

Three: All outcomes need to be properly animated. Rejection of River at the table. Has to start a different sequence. And not use the water tower scene. Hand his gun over to V and than move on. Romances need to have a proper end point to their stories. At minimum, sex is re-doable, and rooms are fully usable.

Four: Romance meter bar. You need to visually know where you stand in said romance. Just like Johnny's meter bar.

Five: This is a game. Romances need game mechanics to V. They are useless in this function. Example: Kerry gives V money. River acts as a companion during missions. GIVE FUNCTIONING SCUBA GEAR TO V.

Last edited:

Exactly. I don't want to feel the same discomfort and objectification in video games as real life... They are not supposed to be life real life...

Five updates are needed to romances. One: a visual or audio indication that X character is a romance option. You need to spell it out for the player. This is why they give all these damn chances to still date them. Because if it did work like in real life. Most if not all would be failed early on. Like Because of Judy being a dick towards V at the start.

Two: Rejection options need to be available at all the points of the yes options. Not to mention "I'm in a relationship option is badly needed." Judy also needs a "I don't want to date you. I don't want to emotionally take advantage of you. After Eve's death." It's really creepy that I had no option to say this.

Three: All outcomes need to be properly animated. Rejection of River at the table. Has to start a different sequence. And not use the water tower scene. Hand his gun over to V and than move on. Romances need to have a proper end point to their stories. At minimum, sex is re-doable, and rooms are fully usable.

Four: Romance meter bar. You need to visually know where you stand in said romance. Just like Johnny's meter bar.

Five: This is a game. Romances need game mechanics to V. They are useless in this function. Example: Kerry gives V money. River acts as a companion during missions. GIVE FUNCTIONING SCUBA GEAR TO V.

I really dislike all of these suggestions because it gameifies these characters.

Part of the reason I think the characters in Cyberpunk are so well realized is because there is a kind of realism about them. It feels as if they exist in the gameworld, with or without you. They have their own motivations and desires and they pursue them as if they had their own agency.

They are not available all the time so a player can replay a sex scene. They are not mannequins whose sole purpose is to be used by the player whenever they feel like. I don't really want them to have progress bar indicators exposing game mechanics because in immersive, narrative driven games, mechanics should be hidden. With things like the Johnny affinity meter I have no idea why its even in the game. All it did for me is give me a false impression of how far away the end of the game was.

Yeah I think some people demand too much. This is not family life simulator, its RPG, developing relationships is one of a features but lets not overthink it. If writers would put all those suggestions to life then romances would be 5 times more streched than a main storyline...

I guess most people will appreciate just a few things like story long enough so you really get to know and like (or not) your love interest, possible exit doors on a way so you dont feel pushed and some kind of continuation or small activity once you officialy get girl/boyfriend.

I really dislike all of these suggestions because it gameifies these characters.

Part of the reason I think the characters in Cyberpunk are so well realized is because there is a kind of realism about them. It feels as if they exist in the gameworld, with or without you. They have their own motivations and desires and they pursue them as if they had their own agency.

They are not available all the time so a player can replay a sex scene. They are not mannequins whose sole purpose is to be used by the player whenever they feel like. I don't really want them to have progress bar indicators exposing game mechanics because in immersive, narrative driven games, mechanics should be hidden. With things like the Johnny affinity meter I have no idea why its even in the game. All it did for me is give me a false impression of how far away the end of the game was.
Fair enough. But this is still a game. There's tons of things that break immersion. I can screw the joytoys forever. Right after another. I can fight Razor without needing the same type of extensive body mods to match him. So I don't really care. I want consistency with everything. I'd like the improvements. Because the way the relationships are. I don't do them anymore when I replay the game. Calling them in the end decision is worthless. Dating them is worthless. They aren't useful past their missions. Having sex should do something basic. Like fully heal V. Gain storage in the apartments.

Last edited:
That's incorrect.

Following the River is the most awkward shit I've ever played in my life. The fact that V is so flirty towards him, even though she's already in a relationship, makes it that much worse.

All of these choices below literally imply that you were/are straight. How come one of these doesn't have the word "girlfriend" in them? Which, when picked, could immediately make River realize that he might not be your type and end it right there and then.
1613850492240.png

The only way to make it less awkward is to choose the other chain of choices where V is quoting him all the shit pick-up lines she has gotten in the past. But even then, you can interpret that as V being straight - again, which is just, what the hell. Why isn't there a third option to tell him that you are already with someone else or that you are not into him/guys?

Last edited:
Top Bottom