[Spoiler/Survey/Discussion] Pre-epilogue vs Post-epilogue DLC: What should CDPR focus on?

+

[Spoiler/Survey/Discussion] Pre-epilogue vs Post-epilogue DLC: What should CDPR focus on?

• Just after the final battle, before the epilogue (Pre-ending/Pre-epilogue/Pre-post game)

Votes: 33 18.6%
  • After the epilogue (Post-ending/Post-epilogue/Post game)

Votes: 108 61.0%
  • Mix of both (otherwise, would go with the most vote)

Votes: 36 20.3%

• Total voters
Relevant to this thread. Also posted in Immersion Destroyer thread

I have been active in the forums discussing suggestions for implementation of a fleshed out post main story game play environment. The reason for this suggestion is because the current form of post completion game play has no sense of immersion. There are other lacking qualities that it conjures up, however I will summarize the most impacting one, which is immersion.

(Keep in mind, I am happy with the endings presented for Geralt's closure to his saga. This is not an expression of my refusal to accept that his story is over).

Immersion is one of the leading reasons The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has captivated me like no other RPG I've experienced. Regardless of some of it's lacking minor qualities, which are easily overlooked, I think this is a masterpiece of it's generation.

Now, my suggestions may come off to some like I am in denial that Geralt's story has come to closure and I just don't want to accept that. Let me try to curb that speculation with the following reasons by presenting a list of "positives" and "negatives" to the implementation of my suggestions and ideas of an altered post main story game play environment.

Keep in mind there are variations of ideas and suggestions from people on the forums for a post epilogue and a post main story (before the events of the epilogue) game play environment.

My suggestion is for a post main story (before the epilogue) game play environment.

I am not against there being a future expansion allowing us to role-play Geralt in a world reflecting all the events of our chosen epilogue's path.

However, I do understand the undertaking and realize the practicality is not viable unless the storyboard encroaches on a potential fourth game in the series from being released. The complications are obvious and perhaps CD Projekt RED just isn't ready to continue with the series just yet.

The "Negatives"

A plethora of comments have been brought up regarding the drawbacks to CD Projekt RED putting any development resources into an improved post game play environment. Here is some of those reasons. (Keep in mind these are the relevant ones to my suggestions). Also these all seem to suggest they need attention before anything else, which includes my suggestion.

• Lack of depth to story arcs
  • Story driven and the concept of continued game play is irrelevant, focus on quality of current story line with improvements
  • Romances and relationships with Geralt lacking depth/details, needs work
  • Some quests and contracts lacking depth, needs work
  • Bug elimination and fixes
  • Inconsistencies with game play and skill balancing
  • Future DLC development suffering in quality

There appears to be a commonality between all of these issues people present, and that is time and resources. The sooner that problems afflicting the game are addressed, the better. I don't think you'll find much argument with that.

However, these do not conflict with my suggestions. There is nothing but time for people to enjoy the game for the years to come if they so choose to. The quality of that time spent can be greatly increased, with minor alterations and additions at the very least. If this is an issue of time for CD Projekt RED, then putting it off until a later date is an option. There is always DLC and expansions. Basically, this should be on the consideration list.

The "Positives"

To dismiss the idea of altering the current implementation of post completion game play to a version of my suggestions, would have some great opportunity's lost for the series. I'll present some reasons why I feel this way.

• Improvements to replay-ability and open ended game play. These being taken to new heights. Superior to new game + option for many people
  • Bolstering the effects of keeping the series alive for the years to come (similar to the success of other games like The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim through modding), this will garner new fans and attention for the series and any future projects long after it's launch
  • Offer a timeline that reflects all of our actions. Quality of play increases through immersion. A 200+ hour play-through feeling purposeful
  • It keeps within the vision of The Witcher 3 concluding Geralt's saga. Our last chance to role play Geralt within his legendary saga
  • Fill the gap for people feeling "post game depression"
  • DLC and future content additions have more appeal with an open ended and relevant timeline game world reflecting all of the players actions

This is just highlighting some of the key points to take into consideration so far.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What I feel many people are missing is the idea that this keeps Geralt's saga alive for many people. Keeping the timeline relevant, at least a really good illusion of it being relevant. It offers an entirely different gaming experience overall.

It would seem many people want their 200+ invested hours to have a more lively "sandbox" to leisurely adventure and tie up loose ends in. DLC and future content additions also have a lot more appeal. Having to start a new game kills any return game play for a lot of people. This is a shame with the game play offered in The Witcher 3.

It seems for a lot of people, knowledge of the epilogue's events taking place one day in your playthrough's future is enough closure for a lot of people. However, currently being unable to interact with any characters post main story completion is utterly "defeating" after such an amazing story driven journey.

Summary

It is too easy to get hooked into the lore, bestiary, story arcs, characters, immersion, etc. with this game.

It should expand on the open world potential with a more substantial post game play environment. It should reflect a timeline appropriate to the entire length of game play. Paid DLC and future content would be a lot more successful.

The game had been made and released, they have announced the expansions, it's a very long wait until Q1 2016. The game contains 200 hours long gameplay, the expansions will add 30 hours gameplay, = 230+ hours combined. Official contents have production cost and need a very long time to make, but limited play hours.
Modders will offer a lot more contents while we wait for official ones. Imo CDPR should focus on REDKIT !

CDPR has about 230+ ppl, but they work as a team and in the end they equal to ONE door to release contents, while modders consist of thousands and they have a lot of doors where contents will be coming out from.

Last edited:
Personally i feel CDPR should just remove post game and implement their NG+ which is already in some files, post game is so lacklustre and empty compared to before finding ciri

After the epilogue, with substantial interactions available with the main characters (Yen/Triss/Ciri/etc).

I would have preferred CDPR to work on Enhanced Edition of the base game. DLCs are nice but the game still has so many flaws that can be fixed, especially starting from the Battle of Kaer Morhen...

I would have preferred CDPR to work on Enhanced Edition of the base game. DLCs are nice but the game still has so many flaws that can be fixed, especially starting from the Battle of Kaer Morhen...

No announcement about enhanced edition. CDPR have repeatedly said they currently have no plans for that.
So that leaves us with two possibility: Pre-epilogue DLC or Post-epilogue DLC (that is why this poll exist in the first place).

That author of this post makes a pretty good poll for discussion. Not everyone is happy with the lonely or empty world and many other questions raised after the epilogue.
So we'd like to see how CDPR will tackle that idea, and how fans view it

No announcement about enhanced edition. CDPR have repeatedly said they currently have no plans for that.
They didn't plan it for TW2 either but made it after more than a year nevertheless. And it had greatly improved a content of chapter 3 of TW2. So, nothing to worry about yet. But we're expecting it... secretly. :) EE is the CDPR's trademark, practically. If EE will be so massive that it will add 20 hours of the meaningful and interesting gameplay after the Battle of Kaer Morhen, it makes sense to ask money for it too, to avoid working their devs for free for a long stretches of time.

They didn't plan it for TW2 either but made it after more than a year nevertheless. And it had greatly improved a content of chapter 3 of TW2. So, nothing to worry about yet. But we're expecting it... secretly. :) EE is the CDPR's trademark, practically. If EE will be so massive that it will add 20 hours of the meaningful and interesting gameplay after the Battle of Kaer Morhen, it makes sense to ask money for it too, to avoid working their devs for free for a long stretches of time.

Yes I am aware of that. It can happen, still 50/50 because CDPR haven't made any announcement yet :)

But ask yourself, where will you be 1 year later? it's still a long way to get. maybe more than half of the current witcher 3 active player will stop playing this game by the time EE comes out hehe. looking forward to to address the more immediate problem sooner than later.

hope EE does come out though, but once they fix the core things that should be fixed (especially missing main character after the game)

But ask yourself, where will you be 1 year later? it's still a long way to get. maybe more than half of the current witcher 3 active player will stop playing this game by the time EE comes out hehe. looking forward to to address the more immediate problem sooner than later.
I'm no longer playing TW3, I completed it, did almost everything available except some useless treasures and one quest that bugged out and didn't start. Next time I'll play this game will be when EE will come out. This is how I play games, rarely more than once. I played TW2 twice to see the second path without EE, of course.

i want to see both pre-epilogue and post-epilogue content. it's a win-win situation for everyone.
but definitely not a win for Cd projekt red though haha

Maybe we don't need a full sized Pre/Post-Epilogue DLC necessarily.
I think a few, small fixes to the post-epilogue should do the trick.

For example (Good Ending)
- Place a house somewhere in the Woods with Yen in it
No new dialogues or at least 1-2 sentences.
- Same goes for Triss, if you chose her as lover.
Otherwise she could be at the Chameleon with Dandelion and Zoltan
- Ciri could be stationed at an inn wearing her witcher attire and speaking/playing Gwent to/with the local folk.
- Witchhunters and pyres/stakes should be removed, if Radovid was killed. Otherwise simply not.
- Nilfguardian troops should also be removed or better "retreating" like we see in the epilogue.

These are only small, realizable changes.
But they have an significant impact.

Though i would of course prefer one or even two full sized DLCs.
On the other hand i would also be happy with just these small changes.

i want to see both pre-epilogue and post-epilogue content. it's a win-win situation for everyone.
but definitely not a win for Cd projekt red though haha
Yeah, they're crazy with details and perfection, let's give them crazies xD

We're not asking for something from the moon, they're game developers and they develop games.

Yeah, they're crazy with details and perfection, let's give them crazies xD

We're not asking for something from the moon, they're game developers and they develop games.

Unfortunately, they can choose what to develop and what not to develop. But looking at having both pre and post epilogue dlc... anything is possible. it's just a matter how they want to tackle it.

resource wise, i don't think they will have problem. it's just an issue of time.

A bit off topic.... if I were in CDPR shoes after the success of Witcher 3... I wouldn't stop here. IMO Witcher 3 is considered as Cash Cows in BCG Matrix; you should milk the series until they can no longer produce milk (reliable cash flow). I am skeptical how Cyberpunk 2077 will fare to Witcher series.

I don't know, but sword and slash game is more fun than shooting game IMO. The feeling is just different.
But from business perspective, yes it's necessary for CDPR to diversify their business unit to sustain their business in the long run. So one for hack n slash, one for shooter. fair enough

Last edited:
A bit off topic.... if I were in CDPR shoes after the success of Witcher 3... I wouldn't stop here. IMO Witcher 3 is considered as Cash Cows in BCG Matrix; you should milk the series until they can no longer produce milk (reliable cash flow). I am skeptical how Cyberpunk 2077 will fare to Witcher series.

I don't know, but sword and slash game is more fun than shooting game IMO. The feeling is just different.
But from business perspective, yes it's necessary for CDPR to diversify their business unit to sustain their business in the long run. So one for hack n slash, one for shooter. fair enough

TW3 still has REDkit for boosting PC sales, with the help of mods it'll have a lot more contents and improved gfx. Pre and post epilogue dlc/expansion will boost their reps.

Totally agree with sword fight is more fun than gun fight, gun fight has been done to death with first person shooter, imo gunfight is more fun for multiplayer game.

Unfortunately, they can choose what to develop and what not to develop. But looking at having both pre and post epilogue dlc... anything is possible. it's just a matter how they want to tackle it.

resource wise, i don't think they will have problem. it's just an issue of time.

Judging by this post, you must be a business student/graduate (econs, finance, accounting or management) haha. From business POV, I agree with your view about Witcher series being labelled as Cash Cows in the BCG Matrix. They still have few more years or series left in them, before they turn into Dogs. By then, bye bye Witcher universe.

Um the point here is, yup the Witcher series still have few years left in them.

Just a random extension to your post;
Cyberpunk 2077 could be the next 'Stars' in the BCG matrix. If it turns out to be true then CDPR can survive in the long run. FYI, You could also use the SPACE matrix & QSPM matrix to have more detailed findings then make recommendation to CDPR. You might end up being a consultant for them :D

Also, experience wise I agree with you again. Swords, Magic and Potions are synonymous. It's much more fun and rewarding to play up-close.

What about Shooting games? It's bombs, bombs and lots of bombs. Fancy equipments too. Still too early to judge anything but we'll see how it'll fare in the long run. Have to agree with Smurfin as well that Gunfight is more for multiplayer.

==============================

We kinda went off topic, but then again I kinda understand your main point:
Company POV =/= Social POV

Company will have to think about value maximization which to them means Investment return & cash flow.
To fans or society, value is about utilitarianism/optimizing utility (e.g. Pleasure, well-being). Utility diminishes over time (e.g. when you're hungry, you eat. keep eating and eventually you'll stop because you're full. eat anymore and you'll throw up). As of now, Witcher 3 end-game content is not giving us enough Utility.

Utilitarianism (where you think that moral action maximize value) is not ideal in this kind of world.

On the bright side, it can be aligned. So CDPR might even consider our ideas and actually implement them (whether it's a pre or post epilogue content or even both). Just don't get your hopes up too high. Please correct me if I'm wrong @goku_nazz

Last edited:
I think post-ending content will easily be the most popular option, but its also the least likely. I voted for it, but I'm not expecting it.

I'd love for some post-epilogue DLC, but considering one of the endings has Ciri roaming the cosmos and Geralt dead, they'd have to ignore that ending. Even Empress vs. Witcher has a lot of variation since you have to account for who won the War, and Radovid winning means Geralt would probably be barred from Novigrad. So it would be a challenge and I have no expectations of them actually doing it, but it would be nice.

Judging by this post, you must be a business student/graduate (econs, finance, accounting or management) haha. From business POV, I agree with your view about Witcher series being labelled as Cash Cows in the BCG Matrix. They still have few more years or series left in them, before they turn into Dogs. By then, bye bye Witcher universe.

Um the point here is, yup the Witcher series still have few years left in them.

Just a random extension to your post;
Cyberpunk 2077 could be the next 'Stars' in the BCG matrix. If it turns out to be true then CDPR can survive in the long run. FYI, You could also use the SPACE matrix & QSPM matrix to have more detailed findings then make recommendation to CDPR. You might end up being a consultant for them :D

Also, experience wise I agree with you again. Swords, Magic and Potions are synonymous. It's much more fun and rewarding to play up-close.

What about Shooting games? It's bombs, bombs and lots of bombs. Fancy equipments too. Still too early to judge anything but we'll see how it'll fare in the long run. Have to agree with Smurfin as well that Gunfight is more for multiplayer.

==============================

We kinda went off topic, but then again I kinda understand your main point:
Company POV =/= Social POV

Company will have to think about value maximization which to them means Investment return & cash flow.
To fans or society, value is about utilitarianism/optimizing utility (e.g. Pleasure, well-being). Utility diminishes over time (e.g. when you're hungry, you eat. keep eating and eventually you'll stop because you're full. eat anymore and you'll throw up). As of now, Witcher 3 end-game content is not giving us enough Utility.

Utilitarianism (where you think that moral action maximize value) is not ideal in this kind of world.

On the bright side, it can be aligned. So CDPR might even consider our ideas and actually implement them (whether it's a pre or post epilogue content or even both). Just don't get your hopes up too high. Please correct me if I'm wrong @goku_nazz

that is a long wall of text. but spot on!
how do you read my mind?

well, nothing is impossible. It's not that CDPR can't do it. They can, they just need lots of time to develop a post epilogue if they ever decided to do one.

that is a long wall of text. but spot on!
how do you read my mind?

well, nothing is impossible. It's not that CDPR can't do it. They can, they just need lots of time to develop a post epilogue if they ever decided to do one.

Great mind thinks alike (lmao)

Though post-content are least likely to happen (as of now)... the votes pretty much shows us that there are still people who wants to see more beyond Witcher 3. Which is pretty encouraging :)

Top Bottom