[SPOILER]We need better/alternate ways to trigger "don't fear the reaper"[/SPOILER]

+
Just did this ending and it still doesn't make sense why we need a very strict set of dialogue choices in a single quest to trigger it. I did something very similar in my 1st playthrough, missing maybe one or two of the "correct" dialogue options. Johnny reacted pretty much the same, but, well, didn't trigger.

It's specially frustrating because that's the only actual ending where V takes matters into his own hands and it fits quite well with the rest of the story from where I was sitting, but even if it feels Johnny acknowledges V, we can't get that ending because of a single moment in a single quest. Rewinding to that point and choosing different options don't add any replay value if you went in a similar direction with your choices, but it makes me (and probably many others) lose hours of quest progress, new gear and skill upgrades.

I think removing or shortening the wait time during the rooftop scene would be the best way, a lot of people had the chance to get Reaper but missed it.

What you have to do during Chippin' In is pretty nice way to hide a secret ending imo.

What you have to do during Chippin' In is pretty nice way to hide a secret ending imo.
I disagree, but why do you think that is a good way? Most people will miss it because they chose 1 or 2 different options in that dialogue and they won't want to roll their saves several hours back just to redo that part. If you did that part the "right" way, it's quite easy to just wait the 5 minutes after you know how it works.

I would say just add one more quest line for somebody who missed that only chance.
To be fair it's rather hard to guess how it should play through for the current one.

I disagree, but why do you think that is a good way? Most people will miss it because they chose 1 or 2 different options in that dialogue and they won't want to roll their saves several hours back just to redo that part. If you did that part the "right" way, it's quite easy to just wait the 5 minutes after you know how it works.
Well, unless you read a guide on how to get it, the 5 minute timer on the roof is the difficult part, most players from what I've read since the release, had the conditions met but failed to find the rooftop trigger. In regards to dialogue in Chippin' In, you only have to chose positive dialogue options, it's not that strict, and Reaper is all about tackling Arasaka with no help but Johnny.

It makes sense overall to get Johnny's final mission through his personal questline, same as Panam's. Maybe throw in another seperate condition in A Like Supreme, but if you don't like Johnny and treated him like shit in Chippin' In, why would you do that quest anyway?

Umm...Because it is meant to be hard to get and a result of choices you made through out the game.

Just did this ending and it still doesn't make sense why we need a very strict set of dialogue choices in a single quest to trigger it.

This is completely false. You can pick all the right answers during that side quest and still not get the reaper ending.

There are a series of choices you make with regard to Johnny through out the game over 8 different missions and making the wrong choice on any of them will prevent you from getting the reaper ending.

Last edited:
In regards to dialogue in Chippin' In, you only have to chose positive dialogue options, it's not that strict, and Reaper is all about tackling Arasaka with no help but Johnny.
Untrue. There are like 4 different options for each passage and sometimes there are more than a single positive one, that won't trigger the ending if you pick it up. Actually one of the options specifically tells Johnny he fucked up his relationship with V.

It makes sense overall to get Johnny's final mission through his personal questline, same as Panam's. Maybe throw in another seperate condition in A Like Supreme, but if you don't like Johnny and treated him like shit in Chippin' In, why would you do that quest anyway?
That's the thing. Don't fear the reaper is not "Johnny's final mission". It's V going on a suicide run. "Johnny's final mission" would be the one where he goes in arasaka tower with Rogue and Weyland. It's literally Johnny's final mission. Why would V need Johnny to cheer him up to storm arasaka tower by himself? It's a cool bro moment and all, but unnecessary.

Umm...Because it is meant to be hard to get and a result of choices you made through out the game.

This is completely false. You can pick all the right answers during that side quest and still not get the reaper ending.

There are a series of choices you make with regard to Johnny through out the game over 8 different missions and making the wrong choice on any of them will prevent you from getting the reaper ending.

Where did you see that? Because no guide in the internet agrees with you.
I didn't follow anything or tried to over please Johnny and still managed to get that ending only by rerolling Chippin In in the proper manner. Might've gotten lucky, but that's unlikely.
And that's the whole point of this thread. It's not hard or reflects the whole of your journey through the game. You just need to choose a very narrow set of dialogue options in a single quest.

Where did you see that? Because no guide in the internet agrees with you.
I didn't follow anything or tried to over please Johnny and still managed to get that ending only by rerolling Chippin In in the proper manner. Might've gotten lucky, but that's unlikely.
And that's the whole point of this thread. It's not hard or reflects the whole of your journey through the game. You just need to choose a very narrow set of dialogue options in a single quest.

No where. This my conclusion based on experience. In my first play through I only got 60 of the 70 relationship points with Johnny and I did pick the correct responses at the oil site and it did not unlock the secret ending for me. I even waited 10 minutes just to be sure. In my second play through I got all 70 points and again picked the correct responses at the oil site and was able to unlock the ending. So barring a bug or something being changed in a patch after launch day this is the conclusion I have arrived at. In hindsight however, I could have worded my response to you a little better though so my apologizes.

JagoA

Forum regular
If I'm not mistaken you can either be at 70% Johny relationship OR do the correct answers on chippin in. It is supposed to be a "hidden" ending though so I'm not quite sure why you think it needs to be easier or something? It's not something that a lot of people are supposed to get, mainly by the fact that if you are just playing the game as is you won't likely get this ending with all the barriers that comes with it.

Top Bottom