[Spoilers] An earnest plea [Continue The Witcher Series]

+
djwolf001;n7706710 said:
This misses the point. We are talking about the genre of open world RPG games. I tried playing Witcher 1. I really couldn't get a handle on the PC mechanics or even get out of the starting area. It's not CD Project Red's fault. It's just really old. Witcher 2 was fun in its day and I enjoyed it but its tiny zones were claustrophobic and I didn't exaggerate when I said I was aware of every plant, rock, barrel and mob in the game.

I think it is quite possible that there will be some kind of new Witcher game eventually, CDPR themselves did not rule out the possibility (again, here is a collection of links to the relevant interviews). It just looks like it would not be a continuation of Geralt's adventures. It would obviously still have an open world, probably even a more impressive one than TW3 due to running on more powerful hardware. With a new and possibly customizable character, there would be more freedom also in how you can role play.

If I choose Yennifer, we are both lead to believe that the wish had no effect on either of us because our love was real. If I choose Triss then a clever mechanic changes that reality by making the Last Wish effective in making Geralt's love for Yen not real but rather a result of the Last Wish. However, in this case the writers chose to not have that mechanic apply to Yennifer - the Last Wish still had no effect over her because her love for Geralt was real.

This is not really on topic here, there are other threads where it has been discussed enough already, but you cannot choose a different past in dialogue (unless it explicitly serves the purpose of save import simulation), that would not be a clever mechanic, just bad writing. As I already noted before, the fact that ignoring the quest leads to the same outcome as completing it and choosing the "magic's gone" option tells that it is not about literal "magic" that created love, as the relationship can be broken by free will.

And, in many ways this is understandable because it fits with her character that she would not understand how anyone could not be in love with her. Unfortunately, this writer's choice had a negative impact on game play. Yennifer's jealosy impacts my enjoyment. She throws my bed from the tower leaving Triss and I to talk about sleeping on the floor. While I am running around Kaer Morhen for Yen and drinking with the boys I'm stuck with Yennifer and Triss is nowhere to be seen. Without that jealosy, Triss could have been drinking with us. If I had chosen Yen, Triss gives us a moment but when reversed Yen doesn't. With Yen, there is a love scene at Kaer Morhen; with Triss there isn't.

As an aside, at the end of Blood and Wine I was surprised that there was no love scene with Triss or Yen. I got the house. I got the bed and Triss brought the dress but I never get to see it. Given that throughout the entire game with DLC included there is only one love scene with Triss, I felt that the claims that the romances had been balanced fell far short of balance.

Not sure how much that is related to the topic, but anyway, the two sorceresses have almost exactly the same amount of game content if you combine TW2 and TW3 (see here), and also the same number of sex scenes. In TW3, Yennefer plays a greater role in the main story because of being the adoptive mother of Ciri, and maybe also because she was not in the prequels, and Wild Hunt could even be her only game in case the series is "rebooted" in the future with a new cast. But if there really is a bias, that is just another reason to move away from Geralt and friends - they are largely pre-defined by the novels, and this limits the freedom of the writers in giving role playing options without contradicting the books too much. Starting over with a clean slate means they can write whatever they want without upsetting fans of the novels.

Again, another misunderstanding and this time it is my fault by using the word "Cannon" and The Witcher 3 isn't the only game that has made this mistake. When your character dies in any game you don't actually die. You get the load screen for a previous save as if it never happened and we accept this as a convention of RPGs. However the deaths and disasters that can affect other NPCs generally don't produce a load screen and the deciding factors are all too often masked in previous seemingly unrelated decisions. Who would want Ciri to die? Anyone? There were no "Let Ciri die" and "Ensure Ciri Lives" options and while it's good to allow different outcomes all the developer achieved was to guarantee that everyone would google what was required to get the desired outcome.

There is a difference between a failure that gives you a loading screen, and an actual ending (of which there is a relatively small finite number) where you are shown an epilogue, narrated slides, and the credits. It is perhaps not too unreasonable to expect the latter not to be simply ignored by a sequel in a series advertised as being "full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences", even if it might be OK in a simple action game where you do not expect choices to matter anyway. And it already happened before that a major NPC could die in one game and only conditionally appear in the next one (Letho, Siegfried). Of course, it is also an option to make Ciri survive the "bad" ending and explain how she returned, since it is not actually confirmed in the game that she died, although after that the choices deciding her fate would hardly be meaningful any longer.

Hart95;n7715750 said:
CDPR is perfectly capable of continuing the story involving Geralt and everyone else. They have extremely talented and well-read writers who are obviously aware of the story in the books and the lore.

They might very well be able to still write a good story with Geralt, but my point was that if they (similarly to me) believe that it is possible to write a better one with someone else, then I would rather see that than reverting to yet another Geralt game for marketing reasons.

Maybe it is not completed. In the books it is said that Ciri's son would be the harbinger of the end. There was a lot of lore-related information and plots that were never fully covered between the books and games. There are still countless possibilities involving the Elder Blood and Ciri. The destiny that was completed is a different destiny than the one involving Ciri's son. Like I said, there are many different possibilities.

Well, a game in a relatively distant future as Ciri's son is also an option, although I am not a fan of the idea of playing as some kind of god child or chosen one (be it Ciri or her son), I would prefer a "simple" witcher and a story that does not revolve around saving the world.

Yes, it could be slandered by a bad sequel or even a bad prequel. However, I don't think CDPR would do either of those things. They have the talent, creativeness, ambition, and tools to create a new, engaging, and fantastic storyline. Ciri is a perfect start-point.

However much talent they have, they can only work within the confines of what has already been established in the novels and previous games, and what is realistically possible with the amount of time and resources available. Again, a hypothetical Geralt or Ciri sequel does not have to be outright "bad" for me to clearly prefer the option of a new protagonist, it is enough that I think the latter is overall better, and I do not want TW3 choices to be ruined by a sequel either, because that by itself would already make the existing games worth less than they were before. So far, I have not really seen much reason to continue other than wanting to see more of the familiar characters, which would be better served by more expansions, and there are also the GWENT single player campaigns to look forward to.

Thus, Yen's love for Geralt does not change after the wish is undone during the quest in Skellige. In my mind it makes perfect sense that the developers spent much more time and effort on a Geralt and Yennefer relationship rather than Geralt and Triss. All of the evidence in the books reveals that Geralt would never actually choose Triss over Yen - although amnesia Geralt may be a different story

The writers of the game either believed that he would by the time such choice becomes available in Wild Hunt, or they were not honest about giving the choice in the first place and it is only there for additional sales/milking fans of the previous games. In the first case, there is no particular reason for an unbalanced portrayal of the relationships, not that it is that unbalanced overall. If it turns out that the latter is true, I do not think I will buy more of their games, I would not be able to trust them again. But returning to the topic, as I mentioned before, in my opinion the rigid and pre-defined relationships between Geralt and his "family members" make them not well suited to being the protagonist of an RPG. That is why, for example, none of your choices in interaction with Yennefer have real consequences (other than dialogue changes and the like) outside The Last Wish, it is all linear because staying consistent with the books does not leave much room for alternate paths. I do not think it would be better with Ciri, and canonizing Ciri's and maybe even Geralt's fates from TW3 would even make things worse, because it defines the characters further by locking out the other paths, not to mention making it suspect why those choices were originally put in the game (or future ones for that matter) at all.

which is why when he remembers her he sets off to find Yen and leaves Triss.

The game does not specifically say whose choice it is to leave after the second game, and exactly why.

In any case, to summarize, I am not against the idea of more Witcher games, but I am also fairly confident that at this point the best option is to consider the trilogy finished and start a new story with different characters. Fortunately, the interviews so far do not seem to disagree with this stance, at least they seem to be fairly consistent about Geralt's story being over, although there is still the possibility of a Ciri sequel, which, to be honest, I like even less than just sticking with (maybe 10-20 years older) Geralt.

sv3672 I have to say I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. For me, having meaningful choices and consequences is what TW games are all about. It's one of the main reasons I was drawn to the franchise in the first place. It's a very important aspect of the games and something CDPR heavily marketed themselves, and considering the variety of TW3 endings, making a direct sequel could prove challenging and could lead to ruining what was accomplished by the previous games.

One of my disappointments with TW3 was how little choices from TW2 mattered, but at least TW2 had an overreaching story with the invasion that kind of led to a unique and not mutually exclusive world state that doesn't negate any of the previous endings. Also, TW3 was opening to a whole new console market and the game had to be standalone and accessible to everyone so I can understand the approach they took. I still would have wished for a bit more closure for certain characters and some more acknowledgement of TW2 decisions, even through small bits of dialogue here and there.

If they ever made a direct sequel to TW3, I would definitely expect it to respect player's choice, and making a direct sequel that would only acknowledge one path would go against that and what they've been saying many times so far, that player choice is important to them. Maybe they could do something similar to TW3 ending epilogues, with the beginning of TW4 having 3 short, different prologues, acknowledging major decisions from the previous games, all converging at one point for a new story. But even then I feel like Geralt's adventure got a nice and appropriate ending. I love Geralt, but I think it's fine to let him rest and from what I've seen so far from CDPR's statements, they seem determined to do so.

I think, with regards to save imports (should there be another tie-in game) could be successful if CDPR made use of a system similar to Dragon Age Keep, where you make decisions separate from your own games and import your custom world.

The fact that that a moderator has joined our little conversation is very exciting - it means someone up there is reading this and listening to the players. I'm finishing off my first play through and have literally found every single hidden location and completed every quest and contract. Over 309 hours of my life have been invested in this gem of a game and I wouldn't trade that time for anything. I just hope it's not the last I see of Geralt. Maybe that's why I'm clinging onto this first play through.. I just can't imagine the end of it.

One more thing... yen has to be in any tie in game. She is the most fascinating and complex character I have ever come across in gaming. Andrejz Sapkowski was even quoted as saying he made her complex - not the standard stereotype of damsel in distress fluttering her eyes at the hero constantly. She is such an amazingly well-crafted character and I just want more of her! Every time a quest said 'talk to yennefer' my heart beat a little faster at what was to come. And I was never disappointed

belbrock;n7761420 said:
The fact that that a moderator has joined our little conversation is very exciting - it means someone up there is reading this and listening to the players.
Ah. I wish that were a certainty, however, regrettably, I must caution everyone not to get their hopes too high. My participation here does not in any way guarantee that a fourth game will be made. As a moderator, I read most everything posted on these Forums. I occasionally choose to join in discussions which interest me personally. In my private estimation, I believe there are strong potentials for continuing The Witcher Series, should the REDs wish to do so; however, this does not mean that the developers share my perspective. I am merely an interested observer. Powers higher than the moderators shall determine the fate of the franchise.

Riven-Twain regardless - your interest is keeping the thread going. And you've clearly come across many that relate to continuation of the franchise. At least with the thread relatively active the big guys upstairs can see that we appreciate their work.. and really just want more of it. Clearly Sapkowski's universe is a gold mine for them. Just hope they take advantage of that

WolfSchool;n7705570 said:
I think a prequel is most likely if anything happens. RDR is comparable in this sense as they obviously wanted to continue the series as it was so well received but a sequel involving the same character was impossible. It's obviously way harder to do this well with The Witcher as there's so much lore surrounding it.

Indeed, that is why the idea of a more distant prequel has been suggested, like 50-100 years or more before the current games. There were already some known characters like Vesemir and Regis alive in the early 1100's, and the first witchers were created long before that. The lore from the books is not so detailed when it comes to this era that it would limit too much how the story can be written, but there are also already defined events that could serve as interesting starting points.

sv3672;n7766210 said:
Indeed, that is why the idea of a more distant prequel has been suggested, like 50-100 years or more before the current games. There were already some known characters like Vesemir and Regis alive in the early 1100's, and the first witchers were created long before that. The lore from the books is not so detailed when it comes to this era that it would limit too much how the story can be written, but there are also already defined events that could serve as interesting starting points.
It'd be quite interesting to play a game that encompasses the creation of the trials - specifically the Trial of the Grasses - and the first witchers. There is also a very meager amount of information available regarding the School of the Manticore, only that it's somewhere in the far east, near the mountains. There are plenty of possibilities for moving forward with another game, and I expect CDPR will deliver for the fans that want to see Geralt and co. return, as well as the fans who'd like to see a new crew of characters.

belbrock;n7783270 said:
Geralt is around 90 isn't he? A distant prequel could give us peek at kid-Geralt

I was kind of toying with this idea too! :D

Not sure how it would work in a game format, but two of the books are made up into to short origin stories and there is soooooooo much potential for something similar!
These games are built on a strong narrative and with so much room to expand on this something like "The Witcher Chronicles" would be amazing! :D

belbrock;n7783270 said:
Geralt is around 90 isn't he? A distant prequel could give us peek at kid-Geralt

ImLittleSpoons;n7790960 said:
I was kind of toying with this idea too! :D

Not sure how it would work in a game format, but two of the books are made up into to short origin stories and there is soooooooo much potential for something similar!
These games are built on a strong narrative and with so much room to expand on this something like "The Witcher Chronicles" would be amazing! :D
They should have saved the "Rise of the White Wolf" title for something like this. There is an almost infinite amount of possibilities when it comes to the next game(s) and storyline(s). Like you said, the books laid a perfect foundation for CDPR.

belbrock;n7802420 said:
Rise of the White Wolf... oh yes. It has a ring to it and unlimited potential. Pay attention CDPR we're giving you gold here
"Rise of the White Wolf" was meant to be the name of the console port of the Witcher 1, developed by Widescreen Games. The port was cancelled, however.

Although, hypothetically, I suppose they could make a prequel featuring Geralt, if it were set during his training, or very early career, I wonder what scale of adventures they would be able to include. After all, young Geralt's early exploits and contracts might seem a bit 'flat', unremarkable, or disproportionate, when compared to those which we already know from the books and the recent games. If they were to explore the pages of history, I think I still would prefer a story featuring Vesemir -- the old boy must have had a least a few deeds worthy of a tale or two.

Last edited:
Riven-Twain;n7811510 said:
Ay, that too. It would be rather fun to see him clambering out a window without his gambeson.
I have a feeling that a prequel focusing on Vesemir is likely when considering his departure from the series in Wild Hunt. Perhaps we will experience the creation of the trials and/or the School of the Wolf in the process.

Hart95;n7811900 said:
I have a feeling that a prequel focusing on Vesemir is likely when considering his departure from the series in Wild Hunt.
It's a nice thought. Perhaps it could happen, someday. Who knows . . . ?
Hart95;n7811900 said:
Perhaps we will experience the creation of the trials and/or the School of the Wolf in the process.
Interesting. After Witcher III, we did see feedback from some players who wanted the option to rebuild Kaer Morhen, and re-open the School (although many also disapproved of the idea on ethical grounds), so I suppose it could be a potentiality.

Last edited:
belbrock;n7811170 said:
Plus vesemir had a flirtation with the duchess at the auction in HoS. One romance option at least

That depends, if the prequel was in the 1100's, then she might not have been born yet at that time. Of course, there could still be other options.

Riven-Twain;n7812010 said:
It's a nice thought. Perhaps it could happen, someday. Who knows . . . ?

Interesting. After Witcher III, we did see feedback from some players who wanted the option to rebuild Kaer Morhen, and re-open the School (although many also disapproved of the idea on ethical grounds), so I suppose it could be a potentiality.
There is also strife in the Witcher world concerning the rebuilding of witcher's schools, even amongst those of the profession. It'd be interesting to see how CDPR would handle such a story.

I would agree with most, that they should someday continue with the Witcher series. Simply for the fact that they have made this world come alive, in a sense. Walking through the game shows us how much details they put into making this a immersive game. They are really good at it with this kind of setting.

I only hope they can recreate that quality and immersion in Cyberpunk. I certainly hope so.
But CDPR has spent around 10(?) on the Witcher series. I think it's fair to let them choose a new setting.

Top Bottom