[SPOILERS] Cats, Pyramids and Egyptian symbolism ?

+
[EDIT - DISCLAIMER]
It's been a couple weeks since this first post

I no longer believe V dies by connecting to Mikochi, i won't edit my posts for the sake of preserving the reflection continuity, please bare in mind this is an ongoing analysis and all contributions are welcome
CP77's story is deceptively deep from a figurative standpoint, and all other issues aside i would really love for that to get the recognition it deserves

-----

To start off i'd like to address something i've read a lot, and that is who is V after connecting to Mikoshi.
I've seen a lot of people take for granted the idea that it's just V's soul, but in a different state of existence.

Me i simply can't wrap my head around the idea that the whole Mikoshi trip is as simple as a "transfer of psyche" like Johnny puts it.

Alt uses much less optimistic words, when you ask if you can trust her she says "No" and she says there's no good reason for you to get transferred, she uses "your" body, but from an AI perspective, because that's the compatible body, not because that's V's actual body

So which one is it, is engram V a copy transferred in dead V's body or is it plain old regular V ? And if you're more convinced by the former, wouldn't it mean original V was gone already when Dex shot her in the head and the Relic reconstructed her, so by the end you've already gone through multiple versions of V ?

And what about Judy or your other romances when you come back ? Arguably i didn't like the Sun ending, not only because Judy leaves - which makes complete sense in character considering what V becomes - but because it removes the ability of the player to decide why that option. I didn't originally pick it in order to become famous, i did because i wanted to come back to Judy, and because i didn't know at the time Alt was going to straight up fry V's brain. The game decided for me i actually wasn't doing it for her. But i digress.

In any case if you come back to Judy in a "happy" conclusion with the Star ending, by alll intents and purposes it seems exposed as the most optimistic "rebirth" ending. That bird is there for a reason, they're supposed to be exterminated.

But if you see V as a copy of the original, doesn't that leave you with a lot of questions and a very weird taste in the mouth ?

Considering that, where a lot of players argue it's the "bad ending", wouldn't the Devil ending be the best ?
The only one where V gets to keep living with some hope and doesn't get replaced with a copy ? Not to mention it's the only one ending where Goro doesn't get fucked over, for some players the best friend you made along the way. Hanako in that ending is also much more supportive than people would care to give her credit for, and that's a lot considering her values.

I'd say despite the lack of player agency, there is room for the player to end up choosing what's the most fitting ending for their V still, even though that unfortunately requires to go through all the options and find which one you prefer instead of having that come up organically. And i really miss an ending where you're allowed to acknowledge engram V is not the original V, but on the other hand here's why maybe it simply doesn't matter :

Cats and Pyramids

20210101213425_1.jpg

20210102093626_1.jpg

I've seen many people refer to Judy's (Radiohead) Pyramid Song as an echo of the Tarot, i saw it as an echo of the Egyptian mythology

For starters, well, Pyramid, reaching Alt literally (visually) puts you on a path to a Pyramid

20210102094936_1.jpg

Then every single "live" cat you see in the game is a Sphynx, that is not innocent.
The Sphinx in Egyptian mythos devours anyone who fails to answer their riddle.
To me that points at V's fate were she to fail to find her own existential answer. No matter which ending.
Cats on their own, in this game, seemingly appear only to people with a strong tie with the "other world", they're messengers of the gods.
Very few people acknowledge their existeence, Misty and Vik do, you get to have one at your appartment, and more curiously they seem to be aware of Johnny's presence.

The Star ending to me ends with V crossing the Styx
First, because that really echoes an Obole
20210102095108_1.jpg

Second, because the last, third person shot shows her leaving it behind, riding over what looks like an endless ocean

20210102002356_1.jpg

> "I jumped in the river and what did I see? "
Mikoshi ? (literally a god's palanquin) The Styx ?

> "Black-eyed angels swam with me"
Engram Johnny and AI/Goddess Alt ? Cats ?

> "A moon full of stars and astral cars
> All the things I used to see"
Leaving Night City behind ? The more i think about it the more it sounds like the City of the Dead, a sort of purgatory of the soul

> "All my lovers were there with me"
Judy, Panam, all your friends... Except poor Goro who would deserve an entire analysis just for himself but to me because he's the catalyst of an entirely different life philosophy.

> "All my past and futures"
How many iterations of V did we incarnate throughout the entire game ?

> "And we all went to heaven in a little row boat"
Crossing the Styx aboard the Basilisk, followed by the Aldecaldos convoy (and Judy)

> "There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt"
V will find her own meaning, as echoed by your last interaction with Cassidy

In other words, to survive V will need to create her own meaning, and whether she's a copy or not becomes just one question among many others.
Note that, from my perspective and due to all this, the "best" ending cannot be achieve otherwise than being female V, falling in love with Judy, and asking for help to the Aldecaldos.

tatt.jpg

But this is completely up to your own interpretation.

Thank you for reading, i'm very curious to hear your own take on this because despite all the disappointment i had with CP77, the story is obsessing me and the more i think about it the more i realize despite all its shortcoming it's a brilliant piece of writing.

edit/addendum - There is a whole lot to unpack about all the elements you find throughout the game, who is which Tarot card, why V is the Fool, why Rogue, Johnny and Smasher are Gods and what is the Afterlife bar if not the Pantheon, why Arasaka are the mortals who defied the Gods, etc, but it'd take a whole lot more to dig into.
Post automatically merged:

Not sure anyone's really interesting in this discussion, but in case some of you are, i would highly recommend reading through this reddit analysis and comments by u/Sihplak

As well as this reddit post by myself and the comments where u/GVArcian helped reconcile V's "Ship of Theseus" problem to a close in my opinion, with their valuable input

Last edited:
Im certainly interested in it just not knowledgeably enough not to make myself sound like a complete ass ;)

I found the cat interesting because its present also in johnny's time/memory

Misty also very interesting simply because all her readings are always right, did you get the one at the beginning foretelling whats to come?

I think all in all they tried to inject alot of stuff to be left upto the player on how to interpret it, like soulkiller, to johnny i think its all just mumble jumble because he dont believe in it all but the player might so just like in RL there aint no answer, just questions and debate, did alt uploading V kill them? Well just like turning the key in a car it certainly stopped the body and just like taking the engine out a car an putting it in another, compatible car, it still worked, in terms of the car it aint the same because its now a different body its in, in terms of V all we got is what the game showed, it showed a V walking and talking as per usual with nothing wrong apart from 6 months to live that the game stated you'd have.

But then it takes you back to misty and all her different readings that have all proven correct

The game does certainly continuously hit you over the head about how V needs to make the decisions, how V needs to decide and if you do everything in regards to V finding ppl they can count on possibly love then V does get what is potentially the better end/life, where as every other end is basically selfish, johnny's wants or naivety, all with consequences.

All in all theres alot can be discussed, believed and interpreted but ultimately its all down to the player, i myself have zero problem to think after Mikoshi that V is fine and living a long life with the nomads, im also fine with it was all got to much and they blew there brains out on a roof scared, depressed and alone, also fine playing a naive clown who puts there trust in the corps or a selfish merc who puts theres or johnnys wants and needs above everyone elses. Thats just how i interpret it and its always nice to see how others differ tbh

Don't feel sorry, my entire point with this discussion is to present what clues i found, and have an open talk with interested parties to exchange ideas, understandings and interpretation
Thank you for your contribution

Arguably i went a whole lot deeper since that exposition (if you want to catch up read the reddit comments)

One thing to keep in mind is that the game is a massive mashup of many different religious mythos : Buddhism, the Tarot, Greek, Roman, Egyptian mythos, Biblical, and i'm sure i missed other references.

Misty is an Oracle, the first of two you get to meet in the game - from who i managed to identify
She foretells your future, but she also insists on the fact that you're going to have choices to make, she's your Oracle for the entire Act 1
In a city where people have stopped believing, she sits behind her counter waiting for people (you're the first person to enter the shop in two days and the last one was just asking for directions), all she has left when the story introduces her to you are Viktor, V and Jackie (i have still yet to understand what role Viktor plays from a metaphorical standpoint, other than father figure)
And Night City takes Jackie away from her
From this point on, she's pretty much a shell of herself, and this is why the game introduces you to another Oracle during Act 1 who will take over by Act 2 - more on that later
I'm not saying she loses complete relevance, but she definitely takes a step back from the main narrative

When you get you meeting with Dex
20210103144931_1.jpg

He's not an Oracle but he's your exposition to the full blown Night City dynamic
A futuristic City of the Dead packed full of damned souls, where few have the will to reach out for immortality and achieve godhood and become immortalised in NC's Pantheon : The Afterlife bar

More likely these few select ones were actually born into it, by contrast with Arasaka's manmade, artificial immortality
Dex was immortal at some point, he lost it all, he wants it back
He uses you obviously, you're a pawn for his return to whatever garden of eden, but in terms of storytelling he also tells you that's your choice : come to peace with your mortality or fly towards the sun and become a god yourself at the risk of burning in the process.

What Dex exposes is not just the basic happy or famous dichotomy, this is not a test of character as you may ask him
20210103144951_1.jpg

He's literally giving you insight on how NC works, because he's been there already. That's what you get to witness later on, when you meet actual immortal legends (i.e. Gods) like Rogue and Johnny. Also note the gold hand. That's pretty much on your nose. And i'm pretty sure nobody caught up on that
I know the game presents him to you as a backstabbing piece of shit, but he's not. You get biased because after all you're watching the story through V's lens, born and raised NC, and necessarily partial as such.
He's pretty much neutral. He's in it for himself and his immortality, and it costs him his soul like many other main and supporting characters during the story.
Only difference is, he has been there before. He's basically the first God you meet.

That's for the most part where interpretation comes into play

Are you a belief V, or are you a pragmatic V, or what mix of both
Colver (religion but as a means to picture spirituality) or Lee (scientific pragmatism, and basically the knowledge that anything can essentially be resumed as data)
That's from the TV talk show in the elevator ride after you return with Jackie from the Dorcet gig)

This is directly foretelling what kind of ending is shaping for you - unfortunatelly not so well implemented in how you get to chose them.

After aaaallll this first exposition which is actually a lot to digest when you're playing the first time around i think it just flies over the head of most of us, and also obviously because it's a savant mix of figurative and factual, you get to meet Judy

And she's your actual Oracle, even a Cassandre
You meet her, she's in her cave working on smut as a self taught genius with a tool that literally reveals the truth (BDs)
She spends so much time throwing warnings nobody listens to during Act 1 it's actually sad, really, V ends up with a bullet in the head, Jackie Dies, Evelyn dies, T-Bug dies, nobody listened to her

By Act 2 you can find she wrote about synchronizing BDs between two minds in one of her shards where she says something along the lines "cool idea but we don't have the technology" - so in other words sharing her vision in the truest sense of the word

By Pyramid Song she reveals that, somehow, she actually did it, and that's where she throws what to me are the two most chilling lines in the entire game by talking directly through your mind as a full blown Oracle :

"Speaking of harms way, know what i see looking at you ?"

"Walking, talking corpses"

I don't even think it's something she says literally, those two lines are her inner feelings and intuiton, and since you're linked at this point you can hear her raw, unfiltered premonition

Anyway that's gonna be another wall of text if i go on, there is an amount of cues to unpack from this game about as big as its city's landfill
I just want to stress this : it is intentional
This isn't just freeform interpretation and empty metaphors - i might very well understand some of it wrong, definitely even, but it's here and i'm obsessed, and i'm trying to find people to talk about it

I think you're entirely justified by saying all endings value each others
I'd go as far as to say, in a vacuum, there are no bad endings, The Devil ending included which is i think wrongfully pointed at as the "bad ending".
That one would deserve a whole exposition of who and what Arasaka is on its own. But they're not the "bad guys", they're just different. Mortals or fallen angels depending on your take, who defied the Gods by trying to unlock the secrets of immortality and suffered divine punishment by Silverhand nuking them through a reenactment of the fall of the Tower of Babel.

So my question is, which one is it, to you.

To me, from an existential perspective, you can't fully unlock the Star ending without Judy's love
And my question is, where do you stand

What is your canon ending
Did you want to become a God in Night City's Pantheon (Sun)
End your life on your own terms (Suicide / Dying during Don't Fear the Reaper / Refuse Arasaka's deal)
Defy the Gods in a biblical standoff (The Devil)
Embrace mortality and existential nihilism (Star... +Judy)
Become a manmade God whom they could not control, through Alt and over the Blackwall (Temperance)

What was the meaning of your V's life ?

Last edited:

Icinix

Forum veteran
I love your post, I just don't have anything to add to it.

I recognised a lot of the symbology they used, but in my 'canon' and first playthrough I pretty much ignored it all.

My Vs story was a story about sacrifice for ideals, an attempt at making the world a better place with whatever actions they could.

The ending I got on my first playthrough, whilst maddeningly bitter sweet was so true to character that I couldn't not appreciate the shit out of it.

My character you had done everything they could for a non-kill / stealth playthrough, putting everyone else first, giving everyone else closure and re-connect those to things they had lost. So when, in my final playthrough, as I played Johnny, watching my V actively stand on the bridge and beat the shit out of Johnny to make him turn back and claim Vs former body was perfect.

That is how I'd played the game, that is the choice I would have made had I played V in the final moments. The only thing they didn't touch on was also my V would be thinking about how they might be able to influence Alt and other AIs away from the brutal violence they had shown at the end.

Then watching Johnny in Vs body show compassion, kindness, temperance, as they left it all behind was...well...it was fantastic. Brutally bittersweet, but fantastic.

So when, in my final playthrough, as I played Johnny, watching my V actively stand on the bridge and beat the shit out of Johnny to make him turn back and claim Vs former body was perfect.

I would be very curious to know the % picks between the final choices, on a first time basis
According to steam achievements
Star is the most popular (unsurprising)
Sun second
Temperance third
Devil fourth (unsurprising)

This isn't really so reliable because a lot of players went back and did all the endings they could, but it's still interesting

From my perspective it's regrettable they decided to lock the Sun ending between that one conversation and specific dialog lines
I mean, i get the idea, they want you to truly understand Johnny for that to be a possibility (basically come into Godhood), but then going even further and requiring you to wait before you get the option
I mean i'm the kind of player who really took their sweet time, and during conversations too (actually really enjoy the 1st person perspective, just regret they didn't do a few more 3rd person plug ins), but when you do that throughout the whole game people constantly get impatient
And suddenly the game changes the rules, and the timer is really long on top of that
[That's actually a mistake, you can reach the Sun with Rogue's help too]
I also regret it doesn't give you agency about why you'd want to try this option, but i guess it makes sense, it's the actual blaze of glory gifted to you by the God Silverhand himself.
silvergod.jpg

Plus it created the misconception that Sun is "the best ending" when in fact it's just an ending among others
If really you want a best canon ending as in what the game told you, Misty when she draws your first Tarot hints at the Star from the very beginning
Although i stay on the conclusion that it's still only a shell ending without Judy's love

On the other hand it also shows many people most likely used a guide before even reaching the end once and immediately get the Sun ending, which maybe wasn't even the ending they would have wanted (i personally most certainely didn't want V and Judy to become strangers, that's for sure)

Unsurprising too, people consider the Devil ending as the bad one
I should make an entire new wall of text about Arasaka and why i think they're completely misunderstood, it's curious to me people focus so much on what they do wrong to dump them in the villain category, when almost everyone around you (maybe not Misty / Viktor / Judy ?), including you, including Jackie and including them, is nothing but shades of grey

Tom insulting Takemura, Johnny despising him, this is completely in contradiction to how people view Goro, so many players love him but somehow don't think he's justified to be loyal to Arasaka
Hanako being presented to you as a manipulating bitch because of Johnny hammering your head - who she is but only to an extent and like everyone else, people use each others in this game that's the only way they know how to communicate - she's also completely justified in what she does
I guess the Night City narrative depicting them as the foreign blasphemous invaders manipulated players over, a very clever trick from the writers

Would also be very curious to know the % pick of the Devil ending in eastern countries where people might relate less to ancient Egypt/Greece/Roman and biblical mythos

There's also something to say about how Adam Smasher seems like a very clear reference to both biblical Adam and Lucifer
The angel who left the kingdom of the Gods to defy them, "corrupted" to the bone by mortal-made cybernetics who ends up killing the God Silverhand

Which also leads to the choice of V
I know it stands for Vincent and Valerie and both names have their symbolic, but i can't help to think this is on a second hand basis after they decided for V
Because V = Eve

(edit) I'm actually starting to think i'm mistaken and Eve is Evelyne, when Adam sees her he throws his famous "you look like a cut of fuckable meat. Are you ?" which could be a direct reference to the original sin, in that regard V would be a second Eve who can only fully realise by the inevitable death of Evelyne (/edit)

Still ok because the content is there at the end of the day, just you have to manually make it work in some cases

Thank you for your testimony, Temperance is such a wild card i wasn't sure it'd be the first pick for a lot of players so it's a nice read
I personally would never have made it my first choice because i'm too attached to individuality, hence why i had such a hard time making sense of the whole V / engram V conundrum

It's very nice that the game provides enjoyable closure for people with such different philosophy

edit/addendum
Need to write something about the Mox as priestesses, Lizzy's bar as a temple of prostituion, and Judy as a futuristic Sappho on top of being an Oracle

Last edited:
Well i hope this doesn't come as spam but i'm gonna keep using this thread to dump my reflexions on CP77's dual reading

Thought about the Moxes a lot recently and here are a few analogies i could find

The more i dig into the whole Judy arc the more it gets blurry, most likely because just like a lot of other characters in the game she's not just one reference but a mashup of many

For starters the Moxes are very reminiscent of Sacred Prositution in ancient history
One simple cue that comes to mind is the Mox mural at Lizzy's bar (i.e. Lizzy's Temple)
20210105084525_1.jpg

I think it's a clear reference to ancient Greek and Roman mosaic murals
20210105084731_1.jpg

It's not just that, obviously there's a clear reference to Mexican mythos too, Dia de Muerto and Calaveras
calavera.jpg

Especially considering Judy Alvarez is of Mexican descent
calabacita.jpg

But i didn't dig too far in that direction yet

There are many sacred prostitution examples throughout history, obviously the first that comes to mind are Aphrodite Priestesses
If you follow that cue, what would echo a female centric haven of prostitution with a cult for deities ?
That leads me to the island of Lesbos, famously known for being the origin of the word Lesbian, and among other interesting cues one of the locations of the Iliad (lots of references to Homer in the game too)
An island also known for prostituion and a certain penchant for Aphrodite

Side note, Christians adapted elements of Aphrodite/Venus's iconography and applied them to Eve and prostitutes
If we pursue in that logic, that'd place Evelyn right where she should be
venus-eve.jpg

Sandro Botticelli, The Birth of Venus , probably the most famous appropriation of Venus/Aphrodite > Eve by the christian mythos

Rather reminiscent of a certain Judy Ghost in the Shell tattoo also, dunno if it's a coincidence
gitsjudy.jpg

The most famous artist originating from Lesbos is Sappho
The vast majority of her work which survived the years is well known for dripping of homoerotic themes - although it's a subject of discussion whether she was lesbian or not because "homosexuality" was a foreign concept to ancient Greece, but in the context of CP77 i don't think it's an innocent correlation

When you get introduced to Judy in her cave, you learn she's a BD genius
20210105090257_1.jpg

Already went over what to me is a very clear Oracle and Eve analogies in the previous posts so i'm going to skip that part

She spends her days working on pornography, tweaking BDs to touch people's emotions raw, trying to find the best way to touch peoples' minds at their core
20210105093304_1.jpg

So she identifies as an artist, and BDs are her medium, virtual erotic poetry if you will (on top of tools to reveal the truth), and she's strictly lesbian, which ties us back to Sappho

I didn't yet go over all her tattoos, she has a lot,
Apparently roses are a Gay symbol - Roses are also associated with Aphrodite in ancient Greece
There's the fire truck from her past story
Spiderwebs which are recurring in Calaveras
Ghost in the Shell which practically everyone knows so i'm not gonna detail that
Pyramid Song quote as i detailed in early posts
Aquatic life and "We all came from the sea" which leads to a JFK quote
Parallel Universe Red Hot Chili Peppers quote (dual reading cue ?)
An Owl
Guns
Moxes
Overcome
A pussycat exactly where you think it is
A thigh garther on her left leg
Others that i missed

Have yet to make sense of all of them

So that's where i got
Lesbos, Sex Priestesses, Aphrodite Eve, Sappho, Oracle and Poetry
Moxes, Evelyn and Judy

Maybe completely missing the mark, but probably some of it is worth consideration

Last edited:

mbrto

Forum regular
Well i hope this doesn't come as spam but i'm gonna keep using this thread to dump my reflexions on CP77's dual reading

Thought about the Moxes a lot recently and here are a few analogies i could find

The more i dig into the whole Judy arc the more it gets blurry, most likely because just like a lot of other characters in the game she's not just one reference but a mashup of many

For starters the Moxes are very reminiscent of Sacred Prositution in ancient history
One simple cue that comes to mind is the Mox mural
View attachment 11129348

I think it's a clear reference to ancient Greek and Roman mosaic murals
View attachment 11129351

It's not just that, obviously there's a clear reference to Mexican mythos too, Dia de Muerto and Calaveras
View attachment 11129291

Especially considering Judy Alvarez is of Mexican descent
View attachment 11129294

But i didn't dig too far in that direction yet

There are many sacred prostitution examples throughout history, obviously the first that comes to mind are Aphrodite Priestesses
If you follow that cue, what would echo a female centric haven of prostitution with a cult for deities ?
That leads me to the island of Lesbos, famously known for being the origin of the word Lesbian, and among other interesting cues one of the locations of the Iliad (lots of references to Homer in the game too)
An island also known for prostituion and a certain penchant for Aphrodite

Side note, Christians adapted elements of Aphrodite/Venus's iconography and applied them to Eve and prostitutes
If we pursue in that logic, that'd place Evelyn right where she should be
View attachment 11129297
Sandro Botticelli, The Birth of Venus , probably the most famous appropriation of Venus/Aphrodite > Eve by the christian mythos

The most famous artist originating from Lesbos is Sappho
The vast majority of her work which survived the years is well known for dripping of homoerotic themes - although it's a subject of discussion whether she was lesbian or not because "homosexuality" was a foreign concept to ancient Greece, but in the context of CP77 i don't think it's an innocent correlation

When you get introduced to Judy in her cave, you learn she's a BD genius
View attachment 11129306

Already went over what to me is a very clear Oracle and Eve analogies in the previous posts so i'm going to skip that part

She spends her days working on pornography, tweaking BDs to touch people's emotions raw, trying to find the best way to touch peoples' minds at their core
View attachment 11129342

So she identifies as an artist, and BDs are her medium, virtual erotic poetry if you will (on top of tools to reveal the truth), and she's strictly lesbian, which ties us back to Sappho

I didn't yet go over all her tattoos, she has a lot,
Apparently roses are straightforward Gay symbols (needs confirmation)
There's the fire truck from her past story
Spiderwebs which are recurring in Calaveras
Ghost in the Shell which practically everyone knows so i'm not gonna detail that
Pyramid Song quote as i detailed in early posts
Aquatic life and "We all came from the sea" which leads to a JFK quote
Parallel Universe Red Hot Chili Peppers quote (dual reading cue ?)
An Owl
Guns
Moxes
Overcome
A pussycat exactly where you think it is
A thigh garther on her left leg
Others that i missed

Have yet to make sense of all of them

So that's where i got
Lesbos, Sex Priestesses, Aphrodite Eve, Sappho, Oracle and Poetry
Moxes, Evelyn and Judy

Maybe completely missing the mark, but probably some of it is worth consideration

great analysis

great analysis

Thank you so much, i'm happy it talks to some people, i might very well get a lot of things wrong but it's fascinating to reverse engineer the amount of clues left in the game

Found some more interesting tidbits

Royce is the Odyssey Cyclops
royce-cyclop.png

Another pretty straightforward one, just have to start reading the game from the right angle

All Foods factory is the perfect location for this character, literally a meatbag factory
20210107081321_1.jpg

Could be the Cyclops' cave

I think i need to start another lecture of the game by trying to replace all of V's journey through both the Odyssey (mentionned Lesbos already) and/or Hercules and the madness of Hera, been skipping over all the Homeric references for too long

Another point i should dig a bit further into is the Tarot
Didn't spend much time on that one yet because from my perspective, they're the most obvious symbols, the only ones the game tells you to actually look for

I already went over how i think Judy is an Oracle, so let's talk about the other one, Misty
When you find your first Tarot card, among other informations says a lot of things but essentially :
20210107083501_1.jpg

While Judy is more of a prohetic Oracle self contained in the game's story, i believe Misty is the meta Oracle
She introduces you to the fact that there is more to your journey than the literal sense
She tells you about dual reading, basically she's breaking the fourth wall and talking to the player

I'm only going to focus on her very first draw because it outright gives you one ending, on top of the more general cues Misty give you which i'm not gonna paraphrase, notice she draws :
20210107084617_1.jpg

- The Lovers reversed : relationship issue; might lose your love interest if you don't read the signs, to me that's also strangely focused on Judy (because of the next card she draws), less on Panam, and not at all to River and Kerry (i'm playing female V, does she draw differently if you're a male V ?)

20210107084626_1.jpg

- The Star reversed : literally the ending, abandon your obsession of becoming an immortal legend, but reversed i.e. not just the regular Star ending, but from my perspective the Star ending + Judy

20210107084642_1.jpg

- The Death reversed : pretty much am i alive or am i dead by the end of the game, meaning depending on your choices, your interpretation and what happens regarding the previous cards, V will very much survive the Relic

So you might wonder, ok but why the Star ending in particular, especially considering they put the effort to hide one of the paths that lead to the Sun ?
Well because it's Misty's deck
20210107085713_1.jpg

Jackie gave it to her, so she's basically telling you, indirectly and involuntary, what she thinks is the best for you, but also from a meta perspective what the game considers your most positive outcome (note that i'm in no way saying any of the other endings are bad, that'd be the subject of a whole other wall of text)
So essentially, along with Misty, your boy Jackie gave you a parting gift from beyond the grave : the path to survive (i'm not crying)

I'm not going to dig through all the Tarot cards, but a few interesting ones

Obviously The Fool is next to your appartment door, very typical to use the Fool to illustrate a story's Heroe, Misty says that too, moving on

The first card you can find is the Chariot, right after meeting Takemura at Tom's Diner :
20210107082300_1.jpg

Do you also see Adam Smasher or is it just me ?
Funnily enough the original chariot card features Sphinxes
tarotChariot.jpg

You can read more about my take on that in the first post, but note that you can only find your Sphynx after the Heist too, just like the Tarot "hallucinations", basically your Psychopomp
But the Chariot is also providence, and it could very well be tied to Takemura (so the picture would represent a soldier, not Adam) since you've just talked to him, and he barely just saved your life
(I need to write about the who saved you question because it has so many answers, including one of not two Deus Ex Machina)
Or we shouldn't be focusing on characters but on wheree you are in the story when you can find this card

20210107083228_1.jpg

The World is pretty much where it all ends, it's a symbol of higher power but also higher understanding
It sits where you end the game, it's on top of Meta Misty's shop, it has a direct view to a secure your soul add, and to me it's saying you need to find the game's figurative meaning, there is more to this world than first meets the eye
In a way, it's also Misty since she sees past the literal story

Other tidbits : The Empress is at the Afterlife
The Empress is typically the gardian of Eden
Could be Rogue, but also could be the Afterlife bar itself
What's interesting is that it's not Hanako

The Sun is practically in the middle of a random alley, i'm very curious as to why they put it here

The Magician i originally thought was tied to Johnny, but is in fact next to Lizzy's bar and actually might very well represent Judy
It's a trick card, because while low ranking it's woth a lot of points, i.e. the ace up your sleeve, might very well send you to the fact that there's more to Judy than you'd think
Roses and Water are also typical in the Magician imagery among other elements, cf Judy's tattoos and Pyramid Song
Also a symbole of culture and aspiration (i.e. Judy as an artist)
Not gonna go through everything, read the card's wiki for example
One last thing on that card, Misty draws it right when you're supposed to go to Judy after Evelyn's disappearance

OR

I'm just completely understanding that wrong, and there's actually an Odyssey Circe reference with Evelyn (first thing she does is offer you a drink), and a Siren reference with Judy (not much to go along other than she sings and she swims, but i mean, it's there)
Or that's just more cues to add to the mashups

If you're still with me, thank you

I also wanted to make a small observation after spending more attention listening to the awesome Soundtrack, and in particular The Rebel's Path by P.T. Adamczyk, which is also Johnny Silverhand's Theme

It hit me that this track sounds very modern-ish take on a middle oriental theme, so i asked a professional musician friend and colleague of mine
His take on that - he hasn't played CP77 yet so i didn't want to spoil it so it's just an audio take without background - is that there are indeed a few typical middle oriental cues although he was very cautious not to draw hasty conclusions :
- It's possible the track echoes Arab music but it's still very occidental
- Microtonal music which is central to this track is a recurring characteristic of Arab music
- Quartal harmony is also emblematic of middle oriental music (i hope i'm quoting him properly, i'm no musician)
- Other cues such as the orchestration, wind sound and the short moment where a woman sings could refer to that too

So make of that what you will, i thought the theme could very well send you back to the fact that Johnny as a tragic figure is an ancient, mythical god from the Egyptian mythos (which gave birth to the Greek and Roman ones) as i discussed in my previous posts
Bit of ludonarrative analysis here, when you first take control of Johnny (and hear this theme for the first time) you get to blast Arasaka soldiers in one tap which makes them blow up
If you're playing on very hard, the difference between V's strength and Johnny's strength at this point is night and day, there is no way your V is that good at this point of the story unless you really went out of your way to grind like crazy
He basically steps on them like ants, a God's wrath upon mortals

Thanks for reading ~

Last edited:
First off, major kudos for taking the time to compile all these thoughts and grabbing screens to illustrate. I wish I had your focus. Second, yeah, I have to agree with most of what's been said and apologize for not breaking it down point by point, but see above about focus...

I was initially disappointed that there was no ending that allowed for a dual identity, to coexist with Johnny, but eventually had to agree that it simply wasn't meant to be. What I ended up thinking after my first playthrough, which indeed was leaving the city with Judy, was to wonder if the whole story wasn't itself an elaborate BD a la what is hinted at in Bladerunner. I arrived at this all because I did the quest "Fool on the Hill" very early on. This forced me to realize that everything was preordained when I found the cards in my second playthrough and had "lightbulb" moments as to why those cards were in those locations. First off, they matched specific people/events, but second and more important, they were there BEFORE the events happened.

One of the scenes that had a great impact on me was the one where we memorialize Johnny...
ss+(2020-12-16+at+11.08.40).png

... it hit me hard enough I had to capture it. For me, that's the moment Johnny became human. After that talk, and helping Johnny make things right with Kerry, Rogue, and the rest, it proved that Johnny may be a construct, but his "soul" was far from dead. Rogue commented that V was a good influence on him and V vouches that Johnny changed. Several playthroughs later, thinking to myself "Wait, isn't V `just` a construct at the end of the game too?" I had to wonder if it really mattered. If we destroyed Mikoshi and "our" Johnny is the only remaining copy, he is "the" Johnny and, if we go back to our body, we are "the" V - but that also begs the side-question, that if other copies were to exist, would our V suddenly not be "the" V? Would it matter? At any rate, it answers the question that just because Alt scorched V with Soulkiller, V is not necessarily a soulless automaton inserted into the body of "real" V, the post Soulkiller V is still legit V.

Still, is the whole story just a BD for folks to enjoy, or is there a higher power (real or digital, who cares?) that put those tarot card grafitti all over the place? Misty's reaction to everything fits either description. She's either a character playing a part in a story or she calmly accepts her role in an universe beyond her human comprehension.

The cat/bakeneko also begs similar questions. As was pointed out, Johnny sees it in our flashbacks and, at least to my mind, the cat IS Johnny or a companion spirit or something. The scene, when talking to Goro and Johnny just rolls off the roof as the cat jumps away proves it to me. We meet and pet the cat outside Viktor's in Act 1 as an omen...
ss (2020-12-10 at 08.37.31).png

...and it's one of the few things in the world that Johnny doesn't complain about, he simply says something like "There it is..." and acknowledges it...
ss (2020-12-15 at 12.38.41).png

...and yeah, there's so much that is conveyed in the game through music too. I just about had a real life Relic malfunction when I was cruising down the highway in the Badlands and realized the song "Black Dog" playing on the radio was about the relationship between V and Johnny.

Sorry, that's all the time I have at the moment to go through, but there's so much in the OP to answer to. It's easy for us to see a lot of what's going on through the fourth wall, but I have to wonder if the story of the game isn't meant to be a fourth wall breaking story in itself.

Cybermysticism, Egyptians and their fixation on immortality and godhood as metaphor for transhumanism, different version of afterlives and their connotations in a post spiritual world, etc., etc., etc.,... yea, it's not that clever, and has been done to "death" ;) at this point... don't wanna be an asshole, though, nice writeup... I just, well, wasn't impressed. It's expected, comes with the medium.

mbrto

Forum regular
is there a way to subscribe to a specific thread?
i want a notification when new stuff is posted here

is there a way to subscribe to a specific thread?
i want a notification when new stuff is posted here
Yes; there is a Watch button above the thread, below the large magnifying glass button. But it will only notify you of the first new post every time.

I noticed that cats appear at certain points, mostly because I wanted to pet them. I thought we'd see them randomly but no. They definitely signal the Nightbringer being close whenever they pop up - Jackie, Takamura, V... sometimes you can cheat him, sometimes you can't.

mbrto

Forum regular
never noticed the cat sitting in front of the mirror
Post automatically merged:

what happens to the cat after you finish the game :(

Top Bottom