[SPOILERS] Dettlaff vs. Vilgefortz - Who Would Win?

+

[SPOILERS] Dettlaff vs. Vilgefortz - Who Would Win?

• Dettlaff

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Vilgefortz

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Tie - Geralt Wins

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters
First of all lets get all the facts straight. Regis was not at full strength when he fought Vilgerfortz. He was a pacifist Vampire who did not like to kill or hurt people. He refused to drink blood and that drained him of a good portion of his power. Detlaff is a natural born killer who drinks blood for fun lol. His at full power and in constant rage mode. He can turn invisible, teleport, quicker then lightning and can turn into a giant bat-demon! Lmao Not to mention His been killing for centuries. Without a doubt Vilgerfortz gets STOMPED!

IIRC Regis did drink blood before fighting Vilgefortz.

---------- Updated at 01:07 PM ----------

Fact:

If Vilgefortz was a boss encounter in any of the witcher games, Geralt would be able to defeat him without any help, too. ;)

Dettlaff would totally mop the floor with that lowly mortal human Vilgefortz, particularly given the chance for rematches after regeneration. Vilgefortz will grow older and older and at some point have dementia and gout and incontinetia and and and ... while Dettlaff will just keep regenerating. ;)

A lowly mortal human who happened to be the most powerful mage in the books, including some mages who were 500 years old.

This is not even close....
Even the vampire Elder with his BS CDPR Lore twist BS is not going to win against Vilgefortz (though he has a chance). Detlaff, provided it is not a stealth assassination is not going to win this.

The problem with doing a (book character) vs. (game character) comparison is CDPR changed the lore for some of the monsters (especially for higher vampires) and magic.

The problem with doing a (book character) vs. (game character) comparison is CDPR changed the lore for some of the monsters (especially for higher vampires) and magic.
What lore changes? I never met the elder vampire in my playthrough. Feel free to spoil.

What lore changes? I never met the elder vampire in my playthrough. Feel free to spoil.

Well, in the games higher vampires can only be killed by another higher vampire, making them very powerful.. Nothing is said about how they can be killed in the books.

As far as magic goes, in the books the mages needed to draw Power from the elements - in places there was more energy, in others there was less. In the games the power for magic seems to either come from within or it's everywhere equally. Of course we don't play as a mage, so how magic works isn't as big of a deal.

Well, in the games higher vampires can only be killed by another higher vampire, making them very powerful.. Nothing is said about how they can be killed in the books.

As far as magic goes, in the books the mages needed to draw Power from the elements - in places there was more energy, in others there was less. In the games the power for magic seems to either come from within or it's everywhere equally. Of course we don't play as a mage, so how magic works isn't as big of a deal.
With regards to the higher Vampires I guess it's not so much a change but filling in the lore as there was room for interpretation. In the novels it does not specifically say that Higher Vampires can be killed by anyone. Only that they will regenerate over time if defeated in battle

With regards to the higher Vampires I guess it's not so much a change but filling in the lore as there was room for interpretation. In the novels it does not specifically say that Higher Vampires can be killed by anyone. Only that they will regenerate over time if defeated in battle

True, but CDPR's interpretation still greatly changes the nature of higher vampires. In the games they are literally unkillable by 99.99% of all creatures in the world.

True, but CDPR's interpretation still greatly changes the nature of higher vampires. In the games they are literally unkillable by 99.99% of all creatures in the world.
Which actually means Geralt has never killed a higher Vampire including Hubert Rejk (coroner)in the Carnal Sins mission. Hubert will simply regenerate and continue killing. Which brings up another point of why Hubert was so weak as a higher Vampire. He was also a katakan. Can Katakans be higher Vampires?? Or was his transformation into a katakan simply a representation of him turning into a giant Bat which higher Vampires are capable of? If memory serves me correctly I'm certain Regis explains to Geralt in the novels that Higher Vampires cannot be killed. They simply regenerate sooner or later depending on how bad their injuries are. He goes on to say that he was once 'killed' and it took him 50 years to regenerate.

Last edited:
Which actually means Geralt has never killed a higher Vampire including Hubert Rejk (coroner)in the Carnal Sins mission. Hubert will simply regenerate and continue killing. Which brings up another point of why Hubert was so weak as a higher Vampire. He was also a katakan. Can Katakans be higher Vampires?? Or was his transformation into a katakan simply a representation of him turning into a giant Bat which higher Vampires are capable of? If memory serves me correctly I'm certain Regis explains to Geralt in the novels that Higher Vampires cannot be killed. They simply regenerate sooner or later depending on how bad their injuries are. He goes on to say that he was once 'killed' and it took him 50 years to regenerate.

Personally, I don't think Hubert was a true higher vampire, like Dettlaff or Regis. But I don't have any proof to back up that assertion.

---------- Updated at 01:22 PM ----------

I don't recall Regis ever saying higher vampires are unkillable in the novels, but I'm rereading them so if I find anything I'll post it.

Personally, I don't think Hubert was a true higher vampire, like Dettlaff or Regis. But I don't have any proof to back up that assertion.

---------- Updated at 01:22 PM ----------

I don't recall Regis ever saying higher vampires are unkillable in the novels, but I'm rereading them so if I find anything I'll post it.
I simply remember Regis telling Geralt of the instance when some local villagers 'killed' him but he regenerated after 50 years. I believe he goes on to explain that Higher Vampires will always regenerate sooner or later. It is because of that conversation that so many people thought Vilgerfortz didn't really kill Regis and that he could make a comeback in Blood and Wine. Most were sceptical as to how CDPR would explain his regenerating from being turned into ash in a span of 20-30 years when it took him 50 years to regen from being mutilated by the local peasantry. The whole Dettlaff story was pretty good though. With the evolution of the lore in blood and wine whereby we learned that only higher vamps can kill other higher vamps. We must fill in the blank of why Regis never mentioned that to Geralt in the novel. He initially told Geralt higher vampires cannot be killed. Did he mean by humans, non-humans (dwarves,elves...etc) and beasts/monsters? Did he omit the truth because is was a closely guarded secret amongst higher vampires and he didn't trust Geralt enough yet at that time? Or he simply thought that bit of info was useless to a witcher as he could not utilise it in any way?

Last edited:
Vilgefortz will grow older and older and at some point have dementia and gout and incontinetia and and and (...)

The mages don't die from aging. Ortolan's Decoct, you know.

Vilgefortz would probably win round 1 somehow.

But then, Detlaff would regenerate (...)
... be incinerated, atomized, fused to radioactive material, frozen and teleported near the center of the black hole.
You see? Even with CDPR unkillable bullshit, there is still an option to get rid of him for ever.
:geraltfeelgood:

And.... about regenerations, keep in mind that Vigelfortz was impproving his own regeneration after his partial successful eye recovering. But Sapko killed him too soon Dammit! He was a kind of "magic Frankeinstein" ! And a great vilian, too!

*deep sigh* Let's our imagination freely fly...

And.... about regenerations, keep in mind that Vigelfortz was impproving his own regeneration after his partial successful eye recovering. But Sapko killed him too soon Dammit! He was a kind of "magic Frankeinstein" ! And a great vilian, too!

*deep sigh* Let's our imagination freely fly...
Vilgerfortz has to see him coming. And be quick enough to counter him and hit him with magic. Regis was not a killer in the book and not at full strength. Detlaff stomps lol

Vilgerfortz has to see him coming. And be quick enough to counter him and hit him with magic. Regis was not a killer in the book and not at full strength. Detlaff stomps lol

I don't know Vilgefortz moved pretty fast when he stomped Geralt. I guess we'll never know who would win as there will be no more Witcher games.

Who is talking about Regis?

Dettlaff's motivations are love/heartbroken (uncontroled passions are always a weakness in battles) and primitive rage.

Beside Vigelfortz is the most powerful mage, he is also a sadistic and unsensible man, with the ice-cold calculation of a true killer, gifted with a brilliant and priviliged but selfish mind and no scrupuls nor emotions inside him.....

Dettlaff stomps? Hard to believe it! :p

Lemme put it this way...
everyone here compares dettlaff and vilgefortz on the basis of their encounter with geralt and Regis, (even yen). But as i see it.... times where different in both the cases...
1. Vilgefortz encounter: geralt was hardly a superior witcher and regis was a kind harted vampire who doesn't like getting in a brawl. And yen didn't recovered 100% from her torture.. so cant say that the present geralt who basically becomes the grandmaster witcher by the end of the BAW and undergo another level of mutations... by this time i believe he is thrice more experienced than the one when he faced vilgefortz.
2. Dettlaff encounter: the Bat summoning attack could completely destroy geralt's grandmaster armor making it one hit kill for him... still geralt manages by the experience he had... and finally could hardly beat the higher vampire...

Another important thing to keep in mind that, vilgefortz once got the sword pierced in his body was good as dead... but detlaff can't be killed by vilgefortz only if he was a vampire (which is not true).

Wouldn't Dettlaff win because only higher vampires kill higher vampires? Yeah, Vilgefortz is incredibly powerful but I have my suspicions.

Dettlaff. Regis already could have killed Vilgefortz but he was drunk, not at the best of his fighting ability and instead of cutting Vilg's throat, he chose to try and drink him.

Book lore: Vilgefortz will win.
Game lore: Vilgefortz will win... but Detlaf can be resurrected, and then killed again by Vilgefortz.

Anyway, Detlaf has no chance.

Top Bottom