[SPOILERS] Dettlaff vs. Vilgefortz - Who Would Win?

+

• Dettlaff

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Vilgefortz

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Tie - Geralt Wins

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters

Hey everyone, thought this might be an interesting discussion to start. Given that it took both Regis and Geralt to defeat either Dettlaff or Vilgefortz, we've obviously got two really powerful fighters here. As many of you know, Regis was almost killed by Vilgefortz near the end of Lady of the Lake, but I'd say he fared well for a vampire not used to fighting. The question is, could a more powerful and skilled vampire like Dettlaff pull it off? For point of argument, the battlefield is empty with nothing to hide behind, throw, etcetera. Winning in this situation is not necessarily killing, but just disabling the opponent. Let the battle begin! :comeatmebro:

Last edited:
Ah, this is a tough one! I really would like to side with Dettlaf, but I guess Vilgeforz takes this round. He is a natural born baddie. I can't explain why I ended up with this, it just feels like it.

Vilgefortz was my knee jerk reaction as well, but Dettlaff's got a crazy primal rage behind him and a lot of agility to boot. Plus, he can always call on lower vampires for a distraction, but does it make much of a difference, given Vilgefortz's magic arsenal?

Vilgefortz just almost killed Regis when he was 100% fine (in B&W he's regenerating himself yet) defeated Yen, almost burnt Geralt.... all that in few minutes.... So, to me Vilgefortz still being the most powerful character in the saga.

Vilgefortz would probably win round 1 somehow.

But then, Detlaff would regenerate. And go for round 2.

And then, Detlaff would regenerate. And go for round 3.

And for round 4.

And 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ....

... once they're at round "over 9000", Detlaff would win. And Vilgefortz wouldn't be able to regenerate from being a bloody smear.

Regis needed high vampire blood for regenerating in a very short time (5-10 years?) Calculating 50 years for each regeneration....errr..... mmmm well....

While Dettlaff don't defeat just one time Vigelfortz, the second will always be the winner. It would be very frustating be unable to beat a mage regeneration after regeneration for a so proud high vampire as Dettlaff is.

Last edited:
@Lytha How Detlaff would regenerate from being a Doric column?
I have no idea, but Vilgefortz is not a Higher Vampire, so he cannot kill Dettlaff for good.

There's also the option that regeneration will take Detlaff a couple of years. Even with the increased maximum age that mage-users have, Vilgefortz is not immortal. So, the cycle would probably break before round "over 9000", by natural death of one of the opponents. ;)

A couple of years? you mean a couple of 20 years, don't you?

If it is rambling you could also say that Vilgefortz, being the most powerful magician Witcher universe could create a decoction that would limit the efficiency of a vampiric regeneration. Thus, regeneration after regeneration Dettlaff would end quite affected. Or even dead.

I would have to say Vilgefortz would win. He easily beat Geralt to a pulp in their first encounter, giving the White Wolf an injury that nagged him for the rest of the books. In their second confrontation, Vilgefortz fought Geralt, Regis and Yennefer at once and might have won if not for the magic trinket Geralt had worn.

I would have to say Vilgefortz would win. He easily beat Geralt to a pulp in their first encounter, giving the White Wolf an injury that nagged him for the rest of the books. In their second confrontation, Vilgefortz fought Geralt, Regis and Yennefer at once and might have won if not for the magic trinket Geralt had worn.

That's part of what makes this a tough call for me. As far as the fight in the Castle Stygga is concerned, Yennefer was obviously a part of the fight, but Vilgefortz's magical defense practically reduced her role in the fight to shielding Geralt. With Dettlaff's ability to move so quickly and vanish, he wouldn't need help like Yennefer's. Another thing to consider is that Regis was only taken out when he was because he got greedy for Vilgefortz's blood, and we don't know how much longer he would've lasted if he hadn't. I'd imagine Dettlaff might make the same mistake, given he did so while fighting Geralt, but if he doesn't, then things start to get more interesting.

A couple of years? you mean a couple of 20 years, don't you?

If it is rambling you could also say that Vilgefortz, being the most powerful magician Witcher universe could create a decoction that would limit the efficiency of a vampiric regeneration. Thus, regeneration after regeneration Dettlaff would end quite affected. Or even dead.
First of all lets get all the facts straight. Regis was not at full strength when he fought Vilgerfortz. He was a pacifist Vampire who did not like to kill or hurt people. He refused to drink blood and that drained him of a good portion of his power. Detlaff is a natural born killer who drinks blood for fun lol. His at full power and in constant rage mode. He can turn invisible, teleport, quicker then lightning and can turn into a giant bat-demon! Lmao Not to mention His been killing for centuries. Without a doubt Vilgerfortz gets STOMPED!

Last edited:
Fact 1

Geralt needed hekp from Yen, Regis and Ciri to beat Vigelfortz.

Fact 2

Geralt doesn't need any help for beating Dettlaff.The first attack from Regis was poorly usefull (grateful + half-regeneration stop him to act like a wild Higher wampire)

For sure Dettlaff wouldn't survive in front Vigelfortz

Fact:

If Vilgefortz was a boss encounter in any of the witcher games, Geralt would be able to defeat him without any help, too. ;)

Dettlaff would totally mop the floor with that lowly mortal human Vilgefortz, particularly given the chance for rematches after regeneration. Vilgefortz will grow older and older and at some point have dementia and gout and incontinetia and and and ... while Dettlaff will just keep regenerating. ;)

Dammit!

yeah, i think Vigeforz "killed" Regis only because Regis greatly underestimated him... If it was a duel where both sides were aware who are they facing... my money would be on Detlaff.

Top Bottom