[SPOILERS] DID THE STORY HAPPEN JUST BECAUSE JOHNNY DIDN'T REMEMBER HIS NICKNAME?

+
Even though it's in the youtuber-esq title I want to warn people that I'll be covering spoilers for a story related section of the game.
TL;DR: I overthink a reason as to why Johnny could've lived if he used his better arm to save himself instead of his human one.

Hey everyone, recently I've been watching a lot of reviews of the game to compare praise and criticism, enjoyment and disappointment and try to apply it to my own 100+ hours of gameplay and have a wider parameter on how i'd judge my experience with Cyberpunk 2077.
In one of these videos the footage of Johnny bombing Arasaka was playing and I noticed something peculiar and what I believe was the dumb-ish reason as to why the whole story of the game played out. Right at the end of the mission and somehow having escaped Adam (Was this ever explained? Johnny was literally surrounded), Johnny rushes to the chopper when it's basically taking off and Rogue has to hold him from falling, Johnny's grip loosens and they start getting shot and eventually he falls to his ultimate doom.

Now, sure I can understand a last minute wish to save his friends from dying and releasing his grip from Rogue's hand and falling on that rooftop, but here's the thing, from what I've been thinking, his mistake that put his entire life in jeopardy was simply forgetting his nickname, Johnny Silverhand. Fortunately I have been blessed with not having the need for a prosthetic arm, or a robotic arm for CP2077's sake, but all logic dictates that a metal arm > regular human arm for most activities, which undoubtedly would mean a longer, or even no means at all to lose your grip from something (besides a quick hack or malfunction which I'll try and address later), in fact due to the natural difference in density and strength between a metal and human arm it would be logically impossible for Johnny to have lost his grip on Rogue's hand, in fact he could've grabbed basically anywhere else in that chopper and his fingers could probably hold him long enough for them to escape and he eventually be pulled to the inside.
But because he used his sweaty human hand and did nothing with his other arm, it just stood there (???), the story unfolded the way it did, at least presumably so.

I've re-watched these events multiple times to make sure I didn't understand it wrong, maybe a small detail I missed, maybe something happened to his arm in the mean time, but the more I tried to find an explanation as to why that happened, besides the writers needing an excuse for the story to happen that is, things in fact stacked up to the contrary.
To tackle the idea that maybe the arm was damaged since he presumably just had a fight with Adam I looked carefully as to the last events before arriving on the rooftops, and nothing seemed to ever even hit his arm, in fact right before you gain control of Johnny you can see him using his metal arm perfectly to kill an Arasaka guard, and after being shot down he even lifts his metal arm to try and pointlessly stop Adam who quickly disposes of it. This also covers the idea that maybe his hand was quickhacked into not functioning properly, which also wouldn't affect this scene considering Adam was nowhere near the heli when he took his leap towards Rogue and since once again we just saw him normally executing a guard with his metal arm, there's no way it was malfunctioning
So what if his arm was damaged after he was being held by Rogue and couldn't keep his balance? Well, that certainly would be a good explanation, if it wasn't for the fact that in the scene his metal arm was doing literally nothing, which once again raises the question as to why.

Regardless, this is my current head canon for these events, Johnny died not because his job was botched or badly executed, in fact he did get exactly the outcome he wanted (With the bombing I mean, the philosophical changes he was expecting people to take but didn't is a different matter.), or because someone in his team sold him out. But because his was a Dum Dum and forgot the Silver in his Hand and allowed his humanity to be his downfall....literally.

Remember, Alt straight up tells us that those memories are from Johnny's warped perspective and in no way reflect the actual reality of the situation. This is further confirmed by V actually obtaining Johnny's gun used in the flashback sequences and it is no where close to as powerful or deadly.

So, my assumption is that were was not dramatic grasping and releasing of Rogue's hand as he fell from the excape A/V. That is just how Johnny's inflated ego remembers it. Likely, it was actually closer to how the event were described int he source book, with Adam Smasher dropping Johnny much earlier in the raid and then facing off against Morgan Blackhand as Arasaka tower collapsed.

Top Bottom