[Spoilers] Die the hero or live to become the villain - Analyzing the Endings

+
Basically, I was thinking about the theme of the game and how the endings reflected them so I decided to make a thread to discuss them:

One thing I felt the game did very well is the fact that it establishes the central themes pretty well in the fact that V is suffering Survivor's Guilt for not saving Jackie during the mission. If Jackie hadn't given V the chip then Jackie would have gone back to life and you'd be dead. The game pretty much hits you home with many missions related to death and the fact that your closest friends are people who have suffered tremendous losses or are guilty themselves.

Judy's quest is basically you trying to make up for losing Jackie by saving Evelyn. You fail and then she has to do the same thing you do in adjust to the fact that Jackie's death/Evelyn's death was meaningless and you have to make it mean something. Judy will fail in her quest and it depresses her even further. I barely knew Evelyn but my V is doing it for Judy and also because it allows him to vent some of his anger regarding Jackie's death.

All the while, Johnny is slipping into Jackie's role as V's closest and best friend. I'm trying to settle a lot of Johnny's old unfunished business with Rogue and Kerry in order to make things right. However, they CANT be made right and that's an interesting lesson to take from all this. That no matter what you do, things are busted and broken and you have to figure out what you do wiht what your time is left.

Multiple quests also cause you to reflect on death and what it means to face it. "Sinnerman" is a very good one because it is about you dealing with a man who wants to make his imminent death mean something. The thing is that his death is going to happen no matter what and what he's doing may be meaningless or even blasphemous but you get to be his Johnny because you're the only companion he has until his death. River's quest is about the fact that he failed to save his parents as a child and the fact he has a chance to redeem himself by saving his nephew. It is the one unambiguous quest to do GOOD that V can do and possibly wipe the soot off their soul.

Its kind of funny that Goro's quest also shows you that maybe honor and dignity are all in your head too. Goro is a guy who wants to redeem his honor by avenging Saboru Arasaka. However, Saburo Arasaka was an evil pile of shit and Arasaka is like the Nazi party in the setting (or at least a reborn Imperial Japan). He's deeply up his own ass with his belief what he's doing is good but he's also someone who believes that dying for his cause is worth it. What, exactly, does V do that is worth dying for? What can he do in the next few weeks he has left? The happiest ending Goro can have is dying trying to save Hanako and by saving him, ironically, you just doom him to become a tool for evil or disappointment when you stop Hanako's plan.

One of the actual most important bits of the ending is that Johnny asks you, "It's not easy which friend you're going to get killed" because that's exactly what happened to him 50 years. He managed to blow up Arasaka Tower but he got Santiago killed and who knows how many other people aside from himself all to try to save Alt Cunningham. In all the endings but one, you just add more to the body count.

The thing, plenty of the people fighting alongside you have their own shit they feel they need to redeem themselves for. Rogue hates herself for making a deal with the Corps (Grayson, Adam Smasher) and is suicidal herself. You can redeem her by letting her sacrifice herself to hurt Adam Smasher. Saul feels like he failed the Aldecados by allying with the Corpos and getting himself captured with the Raffen Shiv bearing down their necks. He knows that Panam is a better and more capable leader and hates himself for it. He too is willing to go down in the blaze of glory.

But is it right to let them kill themselves to save yourself? Even the endings where you live you either do so by leaving Night City to form a life with the Nomads or you do by becoming an immortal demon. You might live as a lone legend but even then, that might just be going on a last dance to take down a den of the worst rich people in the setting. You sacrifice others so that you may live.

In the end, my V had the opportunity to save Johnny's life by sacrificing their own. He could give up his body to Johnny and thus redeem himself for failing Jackie. No, I failed to save Jackie. I failed to save Evelyn (for Judy). BUT I WILL SAVE JOHNNY. The funny thing about that ending is that JOHNNY FEELS THE EXACT SAME WAY ABOUT YOU. He failed to save Alt Cunningham, GOT HER KILLED in fact, and that guilt has been eating him for 50 years in Mikoshi.

Johnny never once wants to take your body because he doesn't want to live. It was a suicide mission to blow up Arasaka 50 years ago because he hates himself and hates that he survived when Alt died.

One of you will find redemption, one of you will find life.

So what's your take on the game's ending and the theme of the quests to it?

imo, "things suck no matter what you do" is a lazy theme that CDPR leans on too heavily in the writing for their games. It substitutes nihilism for depth. "It has meaning because it *doesn't* have meaning!" Yeah, no.

It also comes off as pretentious and disingenuous when compared alongside the shallow, arcadey gameplay. A game like Sekiro does a far, far better job if interweaving narrative themes with the gameplay itself, while also treading the fine line of making such weighty material entertaining to experience.

CDPR needs to evolve further as a studio, in order for their game design to mature into their storytelling.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't read all of that...just thought I'd mention that putting "[Spoilers]" in the title doesn't actually help much when the title itself is basically a spoiler

Icinix

Forum veteran
Fantastic break down.

I agree with all of it - and I think it really drives home that there is at least one major ending that we don't have that we 100% should have in the game.

Hi, @Willowhugger .

Thanks for sharing.
I think it is how you see the events in the game. There could be different perspectives, as V is partly written by the player and many things are left open, either to feel or to express by the player.

[larping starts]

For example, I might have thought of what-ifs regarding Jackie, but I don't feel guilty about surviving. Instead, I hurt as hell because he was taken away, and want to make sure he's remembered.

Then, I go for Evelyn because it is the right thing to do. It hasn't occurred to me in the slightest that any of it is because of Jackie. I have a genuine hatred of Scavengers, so I would have done that gig for free anyway. In fact, I would pay for tips on where I could find more such dens.

You should have been on my stream when I did the Sinnerman thing for the first time. I was like "Ooh, this one wants to die without me doing the actual job. Okay... it would be quicker if I do it, but the game won't let me so, let's tag along." I am not sorry at all about him, a murderer, the death row, nothing new. Next.

Goro & co. are brainwashed. If they live long enough after Arasaka fall, they might just realize that. Poor souls, but still, not my doing. By saving him, that's more opportunity for him to come around.

About the ending, indeed I helped everyone, but I don't want to undo that by pulling them into a dogfight with Arasaka. I am only at peace with the ending where I raid the Arasaka Tower single-handedly. Me. My Overture. Let's go. Hell fuck yea! Johnny can watch. Now, the most rational resolution of that ending is to let Johnny have the body. I've never done that, because at that point, V is the literal Goddess of the NC. I want to be back and take my chances at fixing the problem of dying. And that Blue chap offered just that. I feel very let down without the ability to blast my way into the crystal palace and get to ride my Caliburn in it.

That's me as V. Hunting down the Scavengers, wiping out Arasaka, but only because they weren't behaving nicely. Driving my Caliburns like there is no tomorrow. Even. Inside. The. Crystal. Palace.
Post automatically merged:

On second thought, if you've ever seen the trivia for Chuck Norris in Oblivion... basically Sean Connery's horse dumped in front of Chuck's home, and that is how the chase and conflict of the epic size begins.

That is pretty much how I play CP2077. We're good until you take dump at my front lawn. Now I have to burn down your planet.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
OP was good read even though I don't agree with every point, but very insightful and I'm not going to argue.

I liked to add though, that there's parallel theme where game creates opportunities to deconstruct quite a few ideals. Johnny's rockerboy passion and rebellion didn't achieve anything.
Rogue's love for Johnny, her biggest secret what romantic she is, her sacrifice didn't mean anything for Johnny she was just mean to an end like people in Johnny's life tend to be is about this idea of love, if it grows bigger than human, it may not be healthy way to look at it.
Jackie's goal was to become a legend, while he achieved that goal (V can order Jackie Welles in epilogue for Don't Fear the Reaper ending) chasing this larger than life idea, cost him his life.

Goro is example of that too. "We cannot fix everything at once". He understands not everything is perfect but ends up dying either in the hands of Obinoru's attack force or his own hands via seppuku, cost of his loyalty based on ideals.

This is aspect that I appreciate in game the most, as this also creates opportunity to wonder if these ideals, to what cost and who's benefit come with such cost, are they even real or artificial.

Top Bottom