Do you like V as a protagonist?

• Yes

Votes: 180 80.0%
  • I don't care/They're a player vessel

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 30 13.3%

• Total voters
Ill probably gonna love V is he/she gets her own story. Dont wanna play the chronicles of jonny silverhand.

Sure I liked V, but he/she is no Geralt or Arthur Morgan, but V was a good character. I think CDPR wanted to make a Commander Shepard character, but wasn't as moldable.

This is an interesting question.

I often wondered if I liked V while playing. The Silverhand ending felt the most correct for me. I think a clockwork orange-esque ending might have been my V's most justified ending based on conduct. In conversation, my (streetkid, as if it matters) V often irritated me in how smugly ignorant her responses were in some situations, and how self-righteous she could be at other times. I would have liked to see V's character either be more defined or change based on your responses. She just felt like a hyper-violent basic bitch tbh. If V were a bit crazier or kinder or more mature (in their own way) I'd have been a bit more on board. I loved the way my V looked, though. The male V looked way too stout and boxy. I went for a Motoko Katsuragi vibe and was not disappointed.
Post automatically merged:

Everything that comes out of V's mouth is like a little kid trying to be hard, it's cringey at best and bad writing at worst.

All my opinion of course.

Maybe if we had got to play the montage with Jackie I would of felt more of a connection with V but alas we didn't and I don't.

I though cyberpunk was a future retro dystopian vibe, not tampon guns and sex sounds but no nudity and swearing for no reason other than edgy.
Yeah I actually think V should have gone harder in one direction or another. I got the same try-hard vibe. Like be a dirt bag mercenary fighting for absolution or w/e or a mature person that knows that they are on their way out, but just BE SOMETHING. V was often sitting on the fence while acting like they're some kina alpha. Just felt very inconsistent and passive in the story.

Attachments

• 12 Jackie's Arch.png
    12 Jackie's Arch.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 13 Bad day at the beach.png
    13 Bad day at the beach.png
    1 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
CP2077 is by every definition an "true" RPG, its just not playing to features you want that other RPGs have, or don't like as much. There are choices in this game, and they do affect what ways through the ending you have. Full Stop. If you choose not to engage with certain characters, you wont be able to play out Act 3 certain ways.

The magnitude of choice/consequence and narrative decisions is not a requirement of what an RPG is. Final Fantasy has almost never had choice/consequence and we still consider those RPGs.

V is a deuteragonist, that doesn't discount it from being an RPG, either. That s a creative choice in the narrative (which frankly I flippin' love.)

Here's a pretty basic overview of what constitutes an video game RPG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game
Considering CDPR changed the game from RPG to action adventure I would have to disagree. You can choose and choose throughout the game but V still dies in the end essentially nullifying all choices in my opinion.

Considering CDPR changed the game from RPG to action adventure I would have to disagree. You can choose and choose throughout the game but V still dies in the end essentially nullifying all choices in my opinion.
It still states CP2077 as RPG on GOG Galaxy and Steam

It still states CP2077 as RPG on GOG Galaxy and Steam
Well the last weeks of marketing they sure did change it to action adventure. Maybe they should make up their minds. Is this an RPG or action adventure? Are we playing V or Johnny Silverhand? Maybe if they had some clear directions, the game would not be in such a state.

Not going to argue about it. They were calling it an action adventure because plenty of people were talking about the change.
and here another screenshot freshly taken on steam
Screenshot_2021-01-12 Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam(1).png

and GOG store
gf454.png

I don't think they can change anything anymore, they were advertising it as RPG since 2018, so the official stores still state it as, but yeah I agree it's now far from being a true RPG

Last edited:
and here another screenshot freshly taken on steam
View attachment 11138942
and GOG store
View attachment 11138948
I don't think they can change anything anymore, they were advertising it as RPG since 2018, so the official stores still state it as, but yeah I agree it's now far from being a true RPG
If you read in the description you just posted. It even says "Cyberpunk 2077 is an open world, action adventure story set in Night City."

If you read in the description you just posted. It even says "Cyberpunk 2077 is an open world, action adventure story set in Night City."
Yes Action adventure, but it also still says RPG as on GOG store it clearly says Role Playing so they didn't change anything, it's still there.

Yes Action adventure, but it also still says RPG as on GOG store it clearly says Role Playing so they didn't change anything, it's still there.
Frankly RPG in the popular user tag and "action roleplaying" in their "details" is a weak comparison to how they actually described the game. This is just making search for the game easier or even misleading to an extent. Why didn't they just say open world RPG when describing their game? I find it strange they would call it an action adventure and then sneak roleplaying in the details. Sort of like how they told us the game was functioning on all platforms properly. Like I said, I don't want to argue about it. We can agree to disagree and move on.

Frankly RPG in the popular user tag and "action roleplaying" in their "details" is a weak comparison to how they actually described the game. This is just making search for the game easier or even misleading to an extent. Why didn't they just say open world RPG when describing their game? I find it strange they would call it an action adventure and then sneak roleplaying in the details. Sort of like how they told us the game was functioning on all platforms properly. Like I said, I don't want to argue about it. We can agree to disagree and move on.
I know I agree with you, it's just to many websites still state it as RPG even wikipedia or the description of CP2077 website
on google says RPG, I think they tried to change it but I don't think they can do anything or don't want to.
Screenshot_2021-01-12 cyberpunk 2077 rpg - Google Search.png

Screenshot_2021-01-12 Cyberpunk 2077 - Wikipedia.png

nonetheless back to the topic, I really like my V and try to role play as much as I can in this action adventure game ;)

In conversation, my (streetkid, as if it matters) V often irritated me in how smugly ignorant her responses were in some situations, and how self-righteous she could be at other times.

It's funny because I completely agree but that's one of the things I love about V (Streetkid specifically, though I only played the prologues of the other paths). They can be quite deep and kind and see through the bullshit compared to other characters, especially considering the raging consumerism and alienation in NC (the Sinnerman quest and Clouds storyline come to mind). At the same time they're still a product of their environment and can be quite hypocritical, like when talking to Goro.

I like V but I'm not in-like with V. I wish we could be as one, but he's too single minded, I would like it more if he's more wishy washy and indecisive, so that I could make more decisions for him. I like a man who doesn't know himself, so I could change him into my imagine.

All I want was to be like the StreetKid Male V in the cinematic trailer. He doesnt look that smart; a solo, a kid from the street of Heywood who's just taking jobs for eddies, getting rich--getting big in Night City is the goal. So I tried to play V like that. But I'm a bit disappointed that the fact in the 48m Gameplay Reveal, they showed that you were able to pick your hero, so my idea of V is kinda like OK he's wearing SAMURAI jacket, and there's a SAMURAI poster in his room (in the trailer it's a female V, but I think male works best because of the cinematic trailer), and he's listening Chippin' In, so in conclusion, his hero is Johnny. I kinda thought Right, I'm gonna make him like a really hardcore fan of Johnny Silverhand. But fuck the story goes different. He's too smart at times, too mouthful, too gangsta, agh... and he's afraid of dying. This... I don't like. I really can't sympathize in this matter or even relate.

It's funny because I completely agree but that's one of the things I love about V (Streetkid specifically, though I only played the prologues of the other paths). They can be quite deep and kind and see through the bullshit compared to other characters, especially considering the raging consumerism and alienation in NC (the Sinnerman quest and Clouds storyline come to mind). At the same time they're still a product of their environment and can be quite hypocritical, like when talking to Goro.
Oh my god agreed, V was at her best around Goro. Thier odd couple "and what about you" routine was my favorite part of the game. It worked for her and Goro both to lack self-awareness. The sinnerman quest was some full-on black mirror stuff and yes I have to agree those are good examples to the contrary of what I was saying. V being treated with disrespect by everyone but the convict really helped drive home that she is transparently a shady merc to those around her. I was not thinking of these moments when I said what I did.

I guess I just wanted V to be more conistently written -even if her character is inherently contradictory. I like the overall plot, even with her and johnny, but I stil maintain that a character has to have behavioral patterns in order for contradictions in those patterns to land properly. I think my misgivings are probably rooted in the dialogue options given to the player and how the voice actor reads them. I often had a "why am I being a prick here?" or "wow that's some awkward sentimentality" reaction. Also V tries to sound wise beyond their years or like, high school cool during an adult conversation. Can be cringy at times. It seems that the dialogue writing tried to have it both ways as far as V's character was concerned, but that the plot/scenario writing had a more clearly defined vision for them? I dunno, that's my most recent take on it, but I've only played throught the game once so I'll admit I might be misrembering some things.

Well the last weeks of marketing they sure did change it to action adventure. Maybe they should make up their minds. Is this an RPG or action adventure? Are we playing V or Johnny Silverhand? Maybe if they had some clear directions, the game would not be in such a state.
Sounds to me that at least someone in their ranks had some foresight.
With the rushed release and whatnot... Feels like someone wanted to correct on that the product we've gotten was incomplete as an RPG in the sense of what people expected/wanted.
Post automatically merged:

I like my V 2.0 (second run) much and much more everyday. Playing around in Watson doing world-stuff, yet to meet Dex...
I want V to survive, I want her ready for new adventures. (While its usually not my style) : #save V

Top Bottom