[SPOILERS] Evelyn Parker, wasted potential! Your Thoughts?

+
I was never really made to care about her very much, to be honest.
And her ignoble end, tragic and wasteful, fits the darkness of the genre.

I'm okay with it.

Such snark!! Bring it.

For a game released so unfinished do you honestly think the were able to finish all the scenes they had in mind when switching from 3rd person to 1st person?
Do you honestly think there were not changes and rewrites when they expended the silverhand role? By the very definition of expanding the role and lines (please see Keanu's own interview ) things will change in the story.

But then again is you want to take everything CDPR told us as gospel well I'm sure there was just an imaginary in my own head reaction to CDPR releasing a complete full game that was not unfinished and not laden with bugs and issues and CDPR never EVER had to release any I'm sorry messages anywhere after saying the game was finished and would absolutely work on old consoles.

why would someone assume that the old plotlines were better. Many times rewrites and changes are improvements.

Evelyn's death is thematic, poetic justice, and both motivation and change for Judy's Character.
If Evelyn attempted suicide and survived, it would make Judy's later retaliation against the Tyger Claws seem impulsive and exaggerated. Why attack the Yakuza instead of helping your bff recover?
SPOILERS: Evelyn is a betrayer. Her original job was to scroll Konpeki Penthouse for the VDB. Instead Evelyn betrays the VDB, then betrays Arasaka, even attempts to betray Dex and the remainder of V's crew by extension... all in one swoop. Regina is one of a few characters that drops this theme: The fate of a betrayer is sealed at the time of their betrayal.
Evelyn's fall and death is a spectacle/case on what happens to betrayers.
Also in Shadowrun and Cyberpunk, runs go sideways; runs are SUPPOSED to go sideways. It's the fun, the challenge, and another theme: life is full of complications and trouble. Have fun with it. Deal with it.
Evelyn's lack of adaptation (returning to clouds like normal) combined with her betrayal setup (the sideways run) turns life's sideways takedown into a Hellish Spiral. A hellish spiral that's even reflected in the XBD/power plant architecture and interior in addition to her life's events, recall Woodman and Fingers, MD.
As a principle, Much of life and good mental health relies on seeing things properly and dealing with things properly.
To keep Evelyn alive because of feelings undermines too much of the art within the game.

When replaying pre-heist missions and later Judy's storyline, I keep thinking how big of an wasted potential is Evelyn Parker as a character and her storyline.
The real kicker is that Evelyn's final fate is not necessary to drive Judy's story.
Worst-case scenario attempted suicide would've worked just as well (even if she survives just in a vegetative state).
Best-case scenario Evelyn's survival and recovery could open up possibilities of her involvement in the revenge plot not only against Woodman but also Voodoo Boys.
IMHO Evelyn Parker could have been this game's Keira Metz instead, we get a linear tragic tale that drives another storyline.
Somewhere between 2016 and 2020 CDPR forgot how to design interconnected non-linear storylines. :(

Your Thoughts?
I don't think I agree. I loved that she was an interesting character. I loved that she had no chance and that her excess of confidence / cockiness delivers her own demise. She's set up as this sort of mysterious goddess in command of everything and ends up getting used, chewed up and spat out like everyone else in Night City.

Moral: don't try to fly too close to the sun.

It is exactly what certain characters later on try to do to V.

SPOILERS: Evelyn is a betrayer. Her original job was to scroll Konpeki Penthouse for the VDB. Instead Evelyn betrays the VDB, then betrays Arasaka, even attempts to betray Dex and the remainder of V's crew by extension...
A little bit to extrem :(
She's doing that (to try sell the biochip to Netwatch and to betray everyone) for leave Night City with Judy.
i can't blam her for that, i can do the same :D
(although I think his death is inevitable for the rest of the story)

Yes this was really a bummer, one would think after the trailers that Evelyn Parker would be the new Yennefer, and this was probably the original idea before the centric Silverhand storyline, hence her rushed early demise.
How she can be next Yennefer when she has not even 1/10 of intelligence of Yennefer?
Evelyn is poser, good one, but that's it, there is nothing special about her. She is sex worker, that should tell you whole story, but for some reason some people missed it.
Dex is poser, T-Bug is poser, Jackie is poser. Same with V, they are doomed because they did something that was way above their level.
Dex is is some kind of bum fixer, coming from failed job. Good talking and backstabing - can't even make proper deal with gang to get bot, so if you don't want any bloodbath you have to pay with your own money...still not sure if he really paid Brick.
T-Bug next poser netrunner as many others in Night City, you can see many corpses of them around Night City, pretensious af, and not really competent.
Jackie Welles, not really smart, street kid programmed to be "legend of Night City". Very naive and childish.
Their arc is complete in game. They're dead.
Same with Evelyn. It's like - this game is really good - if character of Evelyn and her act made some people think that she is some extraordinary character in Cyberpunk universe,lol. She is not, she is just next soul consumed by Night City.
And you know characters who are not posers? Judy, Kerry, River, Panam, Mitch, Victor...

A little bit to extrem :(
She's doing that (to try sell the biochip to Netwatch and to betray everyone) for leave Night City with Judy.
i can't blam her for that, i can do the same :D
(although I think his death is inevitable for the rest of the story)
Iam still not sure who hacked her in the clouds. I thought it was voodoo boys, but it could be even netwatch.

Iam still not sure who hacked her in the clouds. I thought it was voodoo boys, but it could be even netwatch.
Nope, it's "almost" sure that is the VDBs who fried her doll chip. They "wiped" the only link between them and the "Relic failled heist" (and to revange too^^) :)

Netwatch already had contacts/messages with Evy and wanted to buy the Relic (or betray her at least^^). But they don't have a real reason to do something against her (the best could be to find her and question her about the Relic). Killing Evy seem to be really useless for Netwatch in my opinion. She's not a threat for them (unlike for the VDBs).

Last edited:
When replaying pre-heist missions and later Judy's storyline, I keep thinking how big of an wasted potential is Evelyn Parker as a character and her storyline.
The real kicker is that Evelyn's final fate is not necessary to drive Judy's story.
Worst-case scenario attempted suicide would've worked just as well (even if she survives just in a vegetative state).
Best-case scenario Evelyn's survival and recovery could open up possibilities of her involvement in the revenge plot not only against Woodman but also Voodoo Boys.
IMHO Evelyn Parker could have been this game's Keira Metz instead, we get a linear tragic tale that drives another storyline.
Somewhere between 2016 and 2020 CDPR forgot how to design interconnected non-linear storylines. :(

Your Thoughts?
In my opinion as a gamer, and I'm still at the beginning of the game, is that the characters don't have a fateful fate. What attracted me to the game in a way was the possibility of changing the fate of the characters.
I started as a nomad and made the best game in order to fulfill the missions and protect the characters of Jackie, Judy and Evelyn. Evelyn would definitely give her a second chance, he can't even enjoy a light romance with her. And her death was sad. I hope it doesn't happen to any more of V's friends.
These 'fate' events for the characters could be more malleable, changed according to the player's performance.
Cd Project, give us more power to change this story, in a new DLC or update!

In my opinion as a gamer, and I'm still at the beginning of the game, is that the characters don't have a fateful fate. What attracted me to the game in a way was the possibility of changing the fate of the characters.
I started as a nomad and made the best game in order to fulfill the missions and protect the characters of Jackie, Judy and Evelyn. Evelyn would definitely give her a second chance, he can't even enjoy a light romance with her. And her death was sad. I hope it doesn't happen to any more of V's friends.
These 'fate' events for the characters could be more malleable, changed according to the player's performance.
To be honest, this sounds very much like the "save everyone run" you'd do in Mass Effect 2 during the suicide mission. Play each character to their strenghts (in CP77 case V who lays out the cards) and get everyone out of there alive.
In Mass Effect its funny that that can be done, also because it's difficult to say what character would die in what scenario. But I was prefectly fine having some people die on the suisice mission. Hell, it would feel strange if that didn't happen on a mission which was advertised as near-impossible to undertake in the first place.

And through that light I feel, you should also view the Heist. Someone, or several people would inevitably have to die on a robbery that goes sideways in a pristine "crown jewel" location under control of one of the biggest world-shaping powers.
Imagine Arasaka would let that chip get stolen out under their noses in what is a very secluded location, and there would be no fallout whatsoever in the aftermath, that would actually be rather unbelievable.
Jackie was gonna die, you could spell that out from the start of learning about the heist from Dex. And while not as glaringly obvious, Evelyn would also have the heist-aftermath breath down her neck to the point where it would/should catch up with her. T-bug was dead from the moment she hacked in Konpeki systems, it was only a matter of time. Even V needed a revive to tell the story afterwards, arguably a typical case of very unfortunate good luck (considering what the Relic was doing) and thanks to our good japanese disgraced Bodyguard Takemura, all loose ends where dealt with.

And what this game did very nicely: it used the character of Judy to show exactly how far away you should've stayed from this mess. --> Take a good look at how those convo's went between judt, V and Evelyn.

The only thing I'll say about the heist as a mission: I would've liked if there were some alternate approaches and reactions about the heist.
I believe there's a video out there somewhere that speculates on all kinds of "what if" ideas, including just saying NO straight up in Dex's face.
That would've been very amusing to see how the game would take such divergent crossroads (and there is potential)
But I dont want too change this topic in that debate...
As for Evelyn, she got hers and I like how its done. It show how cruel and ruthless Night City can be.

Last edited:
Agree in a RPG i'd much prefer some malleability. I accept you may need a linear fate for someone like Jackie but the Likes of T-Bug/Evelyn i think it would have been a lot more interesting & engaging if your choices actually resulted in different varaitions of outcomes/fates.

I can understand how people can be upset with Evelyn Parker dying. The player is introduced to Parker early, and her introduction helps to set the tone of the beginning of the game, where you're supposed to feel hopeful (i.e., getting rich/famous in Night City). Parker herself is charismatic and intriguing, which leaves the player wondering what exactly her motives are. Unfortunately, before you can learn more from her, she disappears and eventually dies.

However, I don't agree with people assuming it's because content was cut from her character. It's always seemed clear to me that she serves as a narrative mirror to V; that is, someone else who is seduced by the "City of Dreams" and eventually falls victim to it. Parker tries to carve out her success, but she does so by betraying or making back deals with everyone she's involved with.

For example, the moment you're introduced to her you find out that she's planning to steal from Yorinobu (someone she's intimate with), and that same evening, she tempts you to betray Dex, your fixer at the time. Later you find out that she was going behind the Voodoo Boys to deal with Netwatch, which is likely why she was attacked by the Voodoo Boys. Finally, if you read the email she sends to Netwatch, one of her requests is for protection and a new identity, suggesting that she was probably going to skip town and ditch you as well. I can empathize with her because through her and Judy's dialogue it's clear that she's just trying to find a way to survive, but her betrayals and back dealings have unfortunate consequences.

Her death is also integral to Judy's storyline. Up until it's confirmed that something has happened to Parker, Judy remains stagnant working for the Mox (she later confides to you that she's depressed during that time frame). When Parker commits suicide, it finally stirs Judy to action. The whole reason Judy joined the Mox is because she thought they would fix Night City, so when Parker dies, she finally tries to take matters into her own hands. Unfortunately her attempts don't have a happy ending, which becomes the final push for Judy to realize that she needs to leave Night City.

So yes, while Evelyn Parker unfortunately dies early, her impact is significant, both to Judy, and to one of the overall themes of the game. Of course, I'm not saying that the writers never changed her story, it's completely possible. However, from a narrative perspective, I can easily see why Parker's storyline played out the way it did. The fact that people to this day wish that Evelyn Parker survived is a testament that CDPR makes some great characters.

Last edited:
Finally, if you read the email she sends to Netwatch, one of her requests is for protection and a new identity, suggesting that she was probably going to skip town and ditch you as well.
She's planned the whole heist to have enough money to leave Night City with Judy.
Something like that to Judy in a message :
"Soon, we'll leave Night City and you'll do what you really like all the time"
Judy also talk about that during the ending, when leaving Night City in the Basilisk.

(If you ask me, if Evy's content was "cut", it's well done...)

Beside I wonder why Evy is a "waste of potential" when generally Jackie's death seem to be unimportant because "lack of time spent with him" to really care about...As reminder, Evy, a woman that V only meet once rather quickly and have a very short call with her in the Konpeki later, a woman that V knew nothing about, a woman who try to betray everyone o_O

Last edited:

Your Thoughts?

Well, since you ask. Here is my piece.

None of them matter. Tygers, lil deviant puppets and their masters, Scavs, the police. All scum.

Evelyn is a remarkable person, like many. But still a remarkable person. Of course, it's a waste to lose her so that Voodoo Boys can feel proud of their little baby toy hackery. Who are they again by the end of the game? Some stray group gathered at a corner between Pacifica and Biotechnica Flats, and that's kinda it. And they took Evelyn away; what a shame.

My V, i.e. me in-game, doesn't give much about Judy's storyline, she mourns Jackie, and if there is a mission that lets her vent, digging Evelyn out of that Scav hole is the type of activity that makes her feel better. If there is one life she can save, when she couldn't save Jackie's, Eveyin will do. But, Evelyn also had her own demons. There was some elaboration around here on the forum, which I don't necessarily agree with in full, but the thing is Evelyn offed herself as the outcome of things she had been through. I wonder if that was mostly fear of what's coming up next, as it would really be unambiguously wasteful to lose her to that. There's no need to fear that next to V like me. The V that took enough offense from being pulled into Raynon plot to double+ Placide's weight with more than generous lead filling. That's my V; she kicks down the door and shoots her way through anything and anyone in her way. Evelyn leaves the NC with Judy. V stays in NC, where she belongs, At least in my story. Ultimately, she finds Jackie's remains.

Last edited:
She's planned the whole heist to have enough money to leave Night City with Judy.
Something like that to Judy in a message :
"Soon, we'll leave Night City and you'll do what you really like all the time"
Judy also talk about that during the ending, when leaving Night City in the Basilisk.

(If you ask me, if Evy's content was "cut", it's well done...)
I agree that Evelyn Parker could have been planning to leave Night City with Judy. My comment was more about Parker leaving Night City, even at the expense of V taking all of the heat. There's even dialogue with Judy where she comments that Parker may have done things differently if she had gotten to know V, but the events never transpired that way.

I agree that Evelyn Parker could have been planning to leave Night City with Judy. My comment was more about Parker leaving Night City, even at the expense of V taking all of the heat.
That's for sure that she's planned to betray everyone, V included :)
Like you said, if Evy knew V better, maybe things would have been different (like not asking to V to betray a fixer... which can ruins a rep , "only" a rep, if you're lucky...)

Top Bottom