[SPOILERS] Evelyn Parker, wasted potential! Your Thoughts?

+
When does Evelyn betray V? She doesn't.

evelyn betrayed V by withholding the information regarding the relic and suggested that it needs to be slotted into our brain to keep the relic viable. that's no different then the example i used in one of my earlier posts about swallowing plutonium... it WILL kill you, but she told you to do it anyway.

doesn't get any more betrayal then that...

evelyn betrayed V by withholding the information regarding the relic and suggested that it needs to be slotted into our brain to keep the relic viable. that's no different then the example i used in one of my earlier posts about swallowing plutonium... it WILL kill you, but she told you to do it anyway.

Did she know what it would do? Sounds like if she did then she knew it would take conflict to get it back, doesn't strike me as the type of girl who thinks she can exactly hit Dex and the gang and take it lol. Fucked up if true though.

Her being just a pawn in the larger scheme of things really set the tone of Night City -- it can chew you up and spit you out even if you have huge ambitions. Her character arc hits close to me too since I was close with someone who always thought about suicide.

Did she know what it would do? Sounds like if she did then she knew it would take conflict to get it back, doesn't strike me as the type of girl who thinks she can exactly hit Dex and the gang and take it lol. Fucked up if true though.

the game does not explicitly say whether she knew. however, according to judy (when you handed her evelyn's smoke case after she died) she is extremely thorough when doing her homework. and nobody really knows who she really is. meaning she could have had entirely different sets of friends/contacts that nobody else in this circle of her friendship would be aware of. as close as judy is to her, she had no idea that she was dealing with the voodoo boys and netwatch on the side. she's the type that would have a 2nd or 3rd secret lives that are entirely segregated from each other.

what the game never explained was WHY dex came out of retirement... and the 1st job dex arranged just happens to be evelyn's? and according to dex, vetting her was not easy, even for a fixer of dex's caliber? she's not as simple as she looks.

she had DIRECT access to yorinobu and according to her, guys likes pillow talk. it wouldn't hard for her to snake some info out of yorinobu about the relic. do keep in mind that she IS a master of manipulation. an extreme method actor of sorts that can pretty much get anything she wanted especially from men. it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for her to learn EVERYTHING she needed to prep for her "big ticket" out of her current life. i'm sure netwatch would have needed ALOT more convincing to ensure she can get her hands on the relic then what she told us.

so... yah the game doesnt explicitly say she knew, but there is a very good chance she did. and she was willing to sacrifice anyone to get her hands on that big ticket.

the game does not explicitly say whether she knew. however, according to judy (when you handed her evelyn's smoke case after she died) she is extremely thorough when doing her homework. and nobody really knows who she really is. meaning she could have had entirely different sets of friends/contacts that nobody else in this circle of her friendship would be aware of. as close as judy is to her, she had no idea that she was dealing with the voodoo boys and netwatch on the side. she's the type that would have a 2nd or 3rd secret lives that are entirely segregated from each other.

what the game never explained was WHY dex came out of retirement... and the 1st job dex arranged just happens to be evelyn's? and according to dex, vetting her was not easy, even for a fixer of dex's caliber? she's not as simple as she looks.

she had DIRECT access to yorinobu and according to her, guys likes pillow talk. it wouldn't hard for her to snake some info out of yorinobu about the relic. do keep in mind that she IS a master of manipulation. an extreme method actor of sorts that can pretty much get anything she wanted especially from men. it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for her to learn EVERYTHING she needed to prep for her "big ticket" out of her current life. i'm sure netwatch would have needed ALOT more convincing to ensure she can get her hands on the relic then what she told us.

so... yah the game doesnt explicitly say she knew, but there is a very good chance she did. and she was willing to sacrifice anyone to get her hands on that big ticket.
Very very good interpretation, I don't think you are wrong, or right heh. ;)

She definitely was an enigma, and the extent is certainly up for contention. I go with my gut and believe she only wanted to screw over Dex, leave with Judy and their 50%, but maybe it is from remorse for her suffering.

But again, I don't think you're wrong, though I certainly just gained even more respect for the writing of her character, after seeing her from a well thought out but opposing POV.

In regards to Dex, I think he was in hiding from the Voodoo Boys, funnily enough, and wanted to secure a comfy life once and for all, instead of lots of petty jobs that could land him in hot water again.

It would be very interesting if what you are saying is correct though, and they take it even further, with the Evelyn that dies in Judy's apartment being a plant with her faceplate, with her slipping away to keep Judy safe, possibly reappearing down the line. Your thoughts have definitely given some things to think about.

Evelyn seems the most real character in the game, her expressions and mannerisms really feel like a real person's, she also has an air of mysteriousness about her. I wanted to know more about her. I actually thought she was going to be a huge character in the game.

I think the same.
She felt kind of strong - I was surprised she died like that.

It would be very interesting if what you are saying is correct though, and they take it even further, with the Evelyn that dies in Judy's apartment being a plant with her faceplate, with her slipping away to keep Judy safe, possibly reappearing down the line. Your thoughts have definitely given some things to think about.

i don't think her corpse in judy's apartment would be a fake since IMO she's not the most usable character to keep in the story. at most she becomes a love interest due to her method acting skills and manipulative nature, but she doesnt really offer anything that V doesnt already have access to or haven't already killed :D i mean, voodoo boys-dead. netwatch-dead. yorinobu-dead, dex-dead, T bug-dead, clouds-dead, moxies-access through judy... she would have to "earn V's trust back" cough CDPR cough :D to even start any kind of conversation since she is most definately the person responsible for putting V in the current dying situation. i just dont see a selling point in keeping her around from a story point of view. she wouldn't have more resources then the illusive man(mr blue eyes) and she wouldn't be able to call up a platoon of people like the avacados willing to help out. in this story, she pretty much played every single hand she had in her sleeves already. i dont really see her other secret lives that we dont know about can offer any possibilities that V havent already tried.

Mr blue eyes is a much more viable character to expand upon for DLC then evelyn since the illusive man has a whole "Cerberus" behind him :D i already wrote a speculative DLC which would give a happy ending to save V here

Given she doesn't know anything other than what she's overheard with Yorinobu and the Voodoo Boys, this is wrong.

As I did this storyarc, i was hoping for a better outcome, a slice of Paladinhood in a Crappy City in a world that gone to a more truer Hell
It seems every stoyarc has a crappy ending, even the Cloud storyarc could have been better.
Maybe the writers lack the skill? Imagination limited? I do not know, but just a wee spark can happen.

But The Evelyn Parker storyarc could have been so much better than what presented, that something could have been achieved towards fighting that very struggle vs decadent Sewer of Life.

Thoughts?

I think the writers are depressed :(
I seriously thought that Evelyn's fate is somehow connected to the choice if V decided to betray Dex or not, but no, not really. I was so confused by Evelyn's choices (going back to clouds? really?) that I thought V talked about a completely different person. I thought it was very heavy-handed (raped woman - razors - bathtub - overall crying) and seemed a) rushed b) not very off. I was very intrigued by the characters V met at the beginning. Unfortunately, most of them died.

They do the quests like this so there really is nothing more to do with that person or location any more, sad but they are killing all the RPG feeling by doing it like this (not that it has much of it in the first place anyway).

CP2077 is more like a FPS Action then a FPS RPG.

Well, its Cyberpunk, I can easily see them do a DLC of cloning. You discover that Yorinobu Arasaka made a Shard of her engrams and you have to find Evelyn DNA and get her cloned. Judy returns to help you, thus that draws her back to Night City.
Yorinobu Arasaka made the shard so he can have Evelyn always, but since he took over the company, it wasn't possible to see her anymore, kind of a reason to explain why she went back to Clouds.

Thoughts?

Although I would love Evelyn Parker to return, that boat has unfortunately sailed. Considering her minor role and unceremonious death, it would make zero sense to have a dlc where she returns from the dead, with such clichéd sci-fi trope like "cloning".

Firstly, why would Yorinobu care about Evelyn so much to the point of wanting to clone her? Too much inconvenience, he would rather hire the new popular joytoy and be done with it.

Secondly, the engram also wouldn't make sense, why would Yorinobu want to replicate Evelyn's mind, when her mind was not what he was interested to begin with? Also engrams are a very expensive technology only used to extract information from terrorists, or to immortalize the mind of someone important or with skills.

Thirdly, in either case she would be a copy anyways, meaning the original Evelyn Parker would still be dead, and her clone or engram emulation would probably not even remember you.

Only if they make a prequel dlc with other characters would her return make any sense.

There would be more to the "Cloning storyarc" than just Evelyn, just a benefit way of reintroducing her, bring back Judy. Clones don't have rights and one of the new "shakers and movers" is a clone who don't want to be discovered.
As to why Evelyn, she was the Guinea pig for the new prototype engram? This would also explain why he care less about the Relic, willing to sell it cause he has advance the tech to a better retaining of one mental faculty, which also leads to another storyarc

Yorinobu Revenge, it was just brain storming ideas

As I did this storyarc, i was hoping for a better outcome, a slice of Paladinhood in a Crappy City in a world that gone to a more truer Hell
It seems every stoyarc has a crappy ending, even the Cloud storyarc could have been better.
Maybe the writers lack the skill? Imagination limited? I do not know, but just a wee spark can happen.

But The Evelyn Parker storyarc could have been so much better than what presented, that something could have been achieved towards fighting that very struggle vs decadent Sewer of Life.

Thoughts?

Same. You gotta keep in mind that this is part of a whole series of letdowns, so it stings extra hard.

The Heist fails.
Jackie dies.
In one outcome Arasaka steals Jackie's corpse.
Dex betrays you.
You get shot in the head.
Takemura robs you of your revenge on Dex.
You have to work with an Arasaka stooge.
Vic tells you, that there's a terrorist in your head.
Johnny tries to kill you.
Misty is sad.
Mama Wells is super sad.

and so on.....

So at this point we are already a dead person walking. And then we can't even save Evelyn.

I don't care if her motives were "selfish" and that she might have planned to take all the money for herself.
Evelyn is a sex worker who dreams of a better life and wants to get out of that shit. And when she finally gets an opportunity, she takes it.

Our V kills and steals for money whenever possible. The whole gig for the Relic was about money, fame and a better life. So our protagonist is no better or worse than her.

I also think that her suicide is in part Judy's and V's fault. And the worst part is that Judy only feels bad briefly and then forgets about it, while V just gives no fucks at all. Zero remorse here.

Someone who suffered that kind of abuse belongs in an ICU, with trauma care, medication and 24/7 surveillance and not on a dirty mattress in Judy's shitty apartment.

My V has money for super cars and the hottest cybernetics, but none to help out someone who could provide valueable info or just out of kindness? That's fucked up.

Also the whole rampage you go on later, feels empty. Especially the mission where we kill the Scavs, not one of them has any lines, they just die without me getting an option to tell them that it's cause of the terrible shit they did. Same for the Voodoo Boys, I can only mention Evelyn in a single side sentence during that quest line.

This is another mission where the game's story telling falls flat on it's face. The game was marketed as an RPG with a multitude of available choices. Yet we cannot even decide when to be kind, or who we want to help out. It also goes against everything that Pondsmith said about Cyberpunk, cause he said that it is about the heroes being able to make a difference in a bad world.

Seems when a studio like CDPR is capable of writing good fantasy stories, it does not automatically mean that they are capable of writing good sci-fi/Cyberpunk stories.

The only way I can see her come back, would be an expansion that starts during The Heist and then offers an alternative main story with additional, new endings.

Going on the run from Arasaka and Yorinobu, with Evelyn and the shard, would have been so good. Like a Cyberpunk version of The Getaway (1972 film).

Last edited:
Well, you haven't even explained what you dislike about the storyline. I will afree that she was a half written character who was then uncerimoniously disposed of, but half of the characters in this game suffer from this problem and I suspect in most of these cases storylines were just cut due to time restraints or something or another. If you are disappointed just because she died though, I don't think that is bad writing. Much like I said in your thread about Dexter, things shouldn't just go the way the player wants them to, that would be bad writing. I don't think it was bad writing I think it was missing writing. Story is mostly about context so if you chop a bunch of it out it can appear that the writing is just plain bad.

Well, you haven't even explained what you dislike about the storyline. I will afree that she was a half written character who was then uncerimoniously disposed of, but half of the characters in this game suffer from this problem and I suspect in most of these cases storylines were just cut due to time restraints or something or another. If you are disappointed just because she died though, I don't think that is bad writing. Much like I said in your thread about Dexter, things shouldn't just go the way the player wants them to, that would be bad writing. I don't think it was bad writing I think it was missing writing. Story is mostly about context so if you chop a bunch of it out it can appear that the writing is just plain bad.

You probably missed the part of the story, where things don't go the way the players wants for pretty much the whole game?

There would be more to the "Cloning storyarc" than just Evelyn, just a benefit way of reintroducing her, bring back Judy. Clones don't have rights and one of the new "shakers and movers" is a clone who don't want to be discovered.
As to why Evelyn, she was the Guinea pig for the new prototype engram? This would also explain why he care less about the Relic, willing to sell it cause he has advance the tech to a better retaining of one mental faculty, which also leads to another storyarc

Yorinobu Revenge, it was just brain storming ideas

They may of had the real Evelyn leave the story shortly after the Heist. She is an enigmatic person, and incredibly intelligent. Going to Clouds is the stupidest decision not befitting of her character, especially as she spent the 2 weeks we were regenerating in the landfill with Judy and the Mox at Lizzies. Did nobody tell her that Clouds is a bad idea? Judy, Susie Q, Matio or even Rita... They'd see how stupid that is even if she somehow didn't see it, and Evelyn is a very influential ex-member of their gang, they'd of shaken her until she thought straight...

I would not be surprised if she makes a return in the DLC alongside Mr. Blue-Eyes with the Evelyn we found during Disasterpiece to of been a decoy, that's what I'm hoping. It's very easily done with faceplate technology, tech like doll chips existing to manipulate behavior etc. It doesn't have to be clones, Soulkiller engrams are the top shelf tech in this universe, cloning is a way off.

She's my favorite character overall though, but if Cyberpunk ends when all the DLCs are said and done, and she really did do the things she did and went out the way she did, she certainly won't be. Complete waste of a character. I get the trauma, suicide and Judy's survivor guilt arc, and I think it's done very well, but a deeper conspiracy involving Evelyn and decoys won't of hurt that at all. It's very doable.

Top Bottom