SPOILERS Final fight needs to level

+
If there's one thing I'd like to see changed gameplay wise, it's the final boss fight with Adam Smasher. He's Johnny's nemesis and the big bad of the Johnny/Rogue arc; the final obstacle between you and the ending.

But I was level 50 when I reached him. I downed him in three shots before he'd had a chance to even touch me.

That fight really needs to be levelled with the player, I think. From what I've seen online it sounds like a great fight with varying mechanics. But once you've reached a certain level he actually ends up a complete anticlimax.

Well, most players do not reach lvl 50 when they have a final fight so I dont think your example is representative. I agree that game is easy after level 30 although seeing how many different ways of playing it offers, it will always be easy fight if you really want it.

Well, most players do not reach lvl 50 when they have a final fight so I dont think your example is representative. I agree that game is easy after level 30 although seeing how many different ways of playing it offers, it will always be easy fight if you really want it.
The issue I had with it is that it was actually easier than some of the guys I'd been fighting on the way to him in the secret ending. He's right in front of you at the start and if you have powerful weapons you don't even get to see his later evasions / moves.

Last edited:
The issue I had with it is that it was actually easier than some of the guys I'd been fighting on the way to him in the secret ending. He's right in front of you at the start and if you have powerful weapons you don't even get to see his later evasions / moves.
Honestly, the only thing you can do here is to consciously limit yourself from being too effective. Basically you have to actively think what you want to see on your screen and adapt your playstyle to that.
For example, I currently have a level 36 blade focused V. If I focused on efficiency, I could just do Kerenzikov+Sandevistan+Kerenzikov while slashing Smasher with mantis blades and he'll die in 30s even on very hard.
So what I do instead is this - I ask myself, what's the most sensible way for an edgerunner with superhuman reflexes to fight against a 3m tall cyborg with heavy armor? I guess it makes sense to keep distance from him, staying on the move, using the cover to your advantage with Johnny's tech pistol being able to shoot through walls. I throw a lot of grenades to keep him occupied and every now and then use the superior reflexes and speed to rush in for few quick Kerenzikov or Sandevistan aided blows with the blades and a nade thrown at his feet. Rinse and repeat till he's dead.
This way the fight can last nearly 10 minutes, feels much more believable, intense and cinematic, incomparable to the rather anticlimactic annihilation in seconds. You get to experience the different phases and face the elite Arasaka squad and it really feels like the climax of V's journey to salvation.

The role-playing factor has to be offered by the game, not oneself.

1603702770_798351_1603705064_noticia_normal.jpg

You need a general balance of the game, or iconic enemies scale with your level so as not to ruin the experience.

I think, CDPR wanted to avoid the impression of a "HP bag" Boss. It's the same for all the boss.
Yes after lvl 34, with good stuff, you can kill them in few seconds (for me Oda, Sasquatch or Smasher didn't do 3 steps if I want to). Adding attacks/moves/moves for high levels would be okay, but certainly not just adding HP :(

I agree with the OP. He should level with the player. Extra moves would be great but more hp, considering Smasher is a full blown borg even more. During the game I only find the very hard missions enemies bulletspongy. Seeing as there is underskin body armor it just reminds me of that first 2018 CP77 trailer, that guy being shot in the face and the bullets bouncing off with a metalic ricochet, so when it happens in game even with gangers it doesn't feel too off, unless as I said on very hard enemies.
Speaking of, I wish (if you play with street kid especially) that pacifica and maybe badland would be the last to have very hard areas. As a street kid I want to go back to Heywood earlier but can't even engage some crime action or gangers. An overall enemy level up (including bring low leveled back up to player level) review would be great in this sense. And to include the backstory would be great, corpo center would be easier to corpo player, the badlands and poorer districts a nightmare. For nomad the badlands would actually be easier and corpo the hardest... Pacifica should always be hard for me

I think, CDPR wanted to avoid the impression of a "HP bag" Boss. It's the same for all the boss.
Yes after lvl 34, with good stuff, you can kill them in few seconds (for me Oda, Sasquatch or Smasher didn't do 3 steps if I want to). Adding attacks/moves/moves for high levels would be okay, but certainly not just adding HP :(
I think there's definitely something to be said for just some kind of mechanic to STOP him dying instantly, e.g. a short duration shield that prevents him from taking damage for a while after he reaches a certain level, which is implemented in a fair few games including, I think, witcher 3, just to make sure the fight isn't over before it's even started. The first time I faced him I'd already finished him before realising there was a death choice dialogue!! It flickered on my screen and was gone!

Guest 4564903

Check this mod out, it scales enemies to your level among many other things, basically it makes the game way more challenging so no need to to wait for CDPR to possibly do something or more likely do nothing.

You need a general balance of the game, or iconic enemies scale with your level so as not to ruin the experience.

Lets face it once again: The reason behind how silly easy this fight is, is the leveling system itself. Removing levels altogether is the first step to wisdom.

And yes, I remember knocking Smasher silly myself around lvl 30ish.

The role-playing factor has to be offered by the game, not oneself.

View attachment 11218720

I agree, I didn't say it's optimal, only that it's the only thing you can do to make the fight much more enjoyable. And I gotta say that I'd love to see better enemy level scaling implemented or maybe even a brand new (higher) difficulty. Or maybe just making the process of leveling up longer, dunno. But I reckon that there's a chance to see some changes regarding this if CDPR decide to bring NG+.

Top Bottom