[Spoilers] For Whom the Bell Tolls, It Tolls for V

+
First

1. I reserve the right to be wrong.
  2. Warning. This is long.
  3. I know I’ve probably either missed elements that support my theory and that I’ve likely overreached on others.
  4. I've also posted this on Reddit.
What comes next are my observations concerning the game’s story and how it aligns to Ernest Hemingway’s novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls. I believe the references and symbols embedded in CP77 are more than just Easter Eggs. The general plot, themes and symbols present in Hemingway’s novel find themselves acted out in the story of CP’77 and its characters. I believe CP77 to be a retelling, at least in part, of For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Also note that much of what I’ve observed is from playing the part of V as a heterosexual with Panam as his romantic partner. Other story paths could change some of what follows.

It helps to have at least some familiarity with the story and characters of For Whom the Bell Tolls.

The Title of the Book:

• The book’s title is a reference to John Donne’s poem about an individual’s connection to the broader community (“mankind”). The phrase, For Whom the Bells Tolls, references the practice of a church bell being rung upon a person’s death.

• The book is found in Jackie’s garage and was a favorite of Jackie’s. If V chooses to leave the book as a gift at Jackie’s memorial, it symbolizes the ringing of the bell in remembrance of Jackie’s death.

• After the heist, Takemura calls V from the café and tells V that it is time he stepped back into the ring, that the bell has tolled. Takemura specifically uses the word “tolls”, not rung. This is symbolic of V’s death at the hands of Dex and is a foreshadowing of his own eventual second death.

The Quests and the Story:

• In the novel, Robert Jordan is an outsider who must seek help from a community of guerilla rebels to complete his mission to destroy a bridge. Like the protagonist Robert Jordan, V finds himself accepted amongst a community of nomads who help him as he completes his mission to destroy his bridge (the implant) to Johnny.

• The story has a main story quest titled, For Whom the Bell Tolls. And again, we see V relying upon a person by the name of Rogue to accomplish his mission. In the novel, the guerillas were rebels, a band of people who had “gone rogue” against the established fascist government. They were, in a fashion, rogues.

• V’s story sits in parallel in many respects to the story of Robert Jordan. Both have an extremely dangerous mission they must accomplish, and they need the help of community of others. In the course of the stories, both men find romantic love, and both accomplish their missions but must ultimately make a choice at the end of the story concerning how they will die (not whether they will die).

The Characters:

• V is Hemingway’s Robert Jordan. An outsider to the nomads who he must gain help from in his mission to destroy his bridge to Johnny.

• Panam is Maria from the novel. Maria is a member of the guerillas and becomes Robert Jordan’s romantic partner. Similarly, Panam is a member of the nomads and becomes V’s romantic partner.

• Misty plays the role of Pilar, in part. In the novel, Pilar is the spiritual leader of the guerillas. She is something of a gypsy and a mystic. She reads palms and interprets dreams. Similarly, Misty services as V’s spiritual guide or connection. She reads his fate in the tarot just as Pilar reads Jordan’s fate in his palm.

• Saul. This one may be an overreach. He plays the part of Pablo, from the novel. Pablo is the leader of the guerilla band. He is a difficult and uncooperative leader who opposes Robert Jordan and is more concerned with protecting the family than completing the mission. He is ultimately opposed and deposed from his position. In the same way, Saul is uncooperative and opposes any action that he believes is too dangerous or risky. Like Pablo, he too ultimately loses his role in the band and is replaced by a stronger, more passionate leader.

o Note: Pablo’s name in English is Paul.

o The Apostle Paul, from the New Testament biblical texts, was previously named Saul.

o Saul = Paul = Pablo

• Johnny is...Hemingway. He serves as the narrator. Quest dialogue is in Johnny's "voice". He serves as the guide through the story.

The Themes and Symbols:

• Community and family. The protagonist, Robert Jordan, is an outsider (American) tasked with a military mission and relying on the help of a community of Spanish guerilla soldiers in Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Community and family are themes explored by Hemingway in the novel. This is often one of the strongest themes in the game and finds itself played out across interactions with Jackie, the nomads, River Ward and other positive examples. You also see the theme in a negative light in the actions of the Arasaka family and the NCP.

• Absinthe. This alcoholic drink is in the game and has a description in it that reads, “Be Bohemian”. In For Whom the Bell Tolls, Absinthe is a symbol for a lifestyle dedicated to pleasure and is Robert Jordan’s drink of choice. The book in fact includes dialogue referencing the bohemian lifestyle. Hemingway was considered a Bohemian in his lifestyle and wrote an article for the Toronto Daily Star called "American Bohemians in Paris."

• War. This is a central theme in the novel. It explores the it’s affects and the disillusionment of those who fight and the horrible outcomes of war on people. You see in Robert Jordan how his perspective changes over the course of the story. In CP77, war and its affects are frequently referenced through many of the quests. Both Mitch and Scorpion are veterans and the game’s narrative describes how war has affected them. You also see this in the cyberpsycho quest line with some of the victims of the affliction. Interestingly, the name Arasaka is similar to the name of the Japanese rifle, the Arisaka, used in many wars in the early to mid 20th century.

• Night. In the novel, one of the primary conflicts for Robert Jordan is that he cannot complete his mission at night. It is a daytime mission. Night and darkness are key symbols in Hemingway novels in general and Jordan’s inability to perform his mission at night is key. There is a certain irony in that V’s mission can only be completed in Night City.

It concerns me that the depth and breadth of the of story of CP77 will not be fully appreciated. I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface on all of the various themes and symbols woven into the world’s broader narrative. The idea of V as the archetype Hemingway Hero is something I might explore further.

This was a long summary of my observations and I hope someone finds some value in it. CDPR tells great stories. I’ve found in the Witcher and CP77 stories of greater complexity, depth and seriousness that is unmatched in PC gaming (just my opinion). I’m looking forward to more.

You've put a lot of effort into this and you certainly might be onto something. Brilliant.

A lot of their other references and nods and winks and hints to other things are certainly not accidental, so the idea they could accidentally have made so many in this way seems a stretch. I've never read the book myself, but I'm certainly going to now.

Assuming you're correct, and I think you could well be, it raises two questions in my mind;

Was a retelling of someone else's story (bringing it into the modern age as such in a different medium) rather than exploring their own the right choice?

Should a retelling be done only in a linear adventure (uncharted style game) rather than an RPG as it weakens both the story and the game-play as you're forced to remove a large swathe of player agency for the sake of the story?

You've put a lot of effort into this and you certainly might be onto something. Brilliant.

A lot of their other references and nods and winks and hints to other things are certainly not accidental, so the idea they could accidentally have made so many in this way seems a stretch. I've never read the book myself, but I'm certainly going to now.

Assuming you're correct, and I think you could well be, it raises two questions in my mind;

Was a retelling of someone else's story (bringing it into the modern age as such in a different medium) rather than exploring their own the right choice?

Should a retelling be done only in a linear adventure (uncharted style game) rather than an RPG as it weakens both the story and the game-play as you're forced to remove a large swathe of player agency for the sake of the story?

Both of your questions are really good.

First question. I think the answer is, it depends. It may depend on whether people like it. At the end of the day, this is a game and people want to be entertained. This is something I've been thinking about the past day or so. I think it may be less about retelling someone else's story and more about whose story is being retold. There seems to be a lot of discussion and displeasure about the endings. However, there was no other way it could have ended and remain committed and consistent with the parallel to Hemingway's story.

Second. This is another interesting question. And, I think this too depends on what is entertaining, and what isn't. CP77 feels to me like a hybrid of RPG and Adventure style game. At the end of the day, I was entertained by the way the story was crafted and how the gameplay was built around it. Not everyone feels the same way about it.

There are so many symbols and themes woven into the game that it will take a long time to unravel all of the threads in the tapestry, so to speak. I've only uncovered what I believe is a very small part of a much broader narrative across the main story, sub quests and even gigs.

And there aren't that many people that geek out on this sort of theory-crafting and peeling back the layers of symbols, hints and references. But, I'm hopeful that others uncover more secrets the game has to offer.

I do lot think taking an inspirations from someone elses story has never been a problem in any media. If a creator inspires others to create more great media it can only be a good thing.

I think the original resoning for Hemingways Nobel price says it the best: "Rarely has any other writer had as much influence on the literature of his life time."

It does not matter if he affects literature only. Games are as good media as it is nowadays. I would argue games are even more closely related media to literature than any other modern one. It does not have the same runtime and budget restrictions TV and movies have. It is more closer to literature in those aspects and does not have to compromises for them. And where it has to compromise on some aspects literature does better it has the interactivity aspect to compensate.

Found this by googling. Check this out. This was my experience. I got the PS5 and CB2077 and it's ***January 2021***... I had already bought the book 1984 by G Orwell earlier last year (number one most purchased book in 2020 on thriftbooks)... Fast forward to Jackie Welles funeral where you find:

For Whom the Bell Tolls (FWTBTs)

Where have I heard this before? Metallica? They released a song FWTBTs in... 1984 (clever nod to Orwell?) (Why are to two linked?)

It also turns out FWTBTs was one of the books that inspired Fidel Castro but more importantly both authors Hemingway/Orwell participated in the Spanish Civil War. I had no idea.

Keanu Reeves started acting in 1984

The book Nueromancer (cyberpunk book - first mention of The Matrix) released 1984

It inspired the Wachowski's to do the film The Matrix starring Keanu.

They would later on help produce... V (main char of cb2077) for Vendetta (V4V) starring John Hurt (chancellor in V... also played main char in 1984 movie based on the book)

Backing up a bit the same author of Nueromancer would also create JOHNNY (silverhand) Mnemonic which takes place in (see first line) JANUARY OF 2021... a world ran by corporations and inserting chips into your head to transport information etc.

Meanwhile we have Wonder Woman 1984, Call of Duty Cold War (lots of 1984 references), AHS 1984 summer camp and I am sure there's more I am missing.

I think there's something here in the undertone of government control, a virus that ransacks the world (V4V) and a civil war (Spanish) that we could learn a lot from. This doesn't have to be entertainment as much as it is art and intelligence. I think there's a lesson here. The Spanish civil war belligerents (though there were many) featured communists vs republican nationalists (ring any bells?)

I thought I was on to something and messaged one of the head writers of projekt red and he said it was all coincidence. I know there's a writer or team member there who is sophisticated and did all this in a clever manor to spark synchronicity in geeks like my self. I realize this is an old forum but I hope someone reads this and responds. It's cool at the very least. I was going crazy about 1984 being a central theme. I even asked my mom when she graduated highschool.... 1984.

Top Bottom