[SPOILERS] [IDEA] 2020 DLC

+
This originates posted to other topic by Malkmus2.

I love pretty much any character in the game, so as long as it's story content I'm all for it.

I also think that an expansion set in the 2020s and centered on Rogue would be a good idea. I love how dark and gritty Night City is in the 2020s. The Johnny Silverhand flashbacks are extremely atmosphereic and I would love to see more of that.

My vision of how this could work out might be entirely different from what Malkmus2 is aiming for, but this is a brilliant idea that can enable a lot of things and this is my take on that.

Issue: Dealing with nostalgia and escapism.

What comes to real changes in real society and Cyberpunk 2077 reflecting that, collapsed social fabric one of the most obvious changes is social networking. While this probably isn't entirely universal, it still used to be common back in the 80's that there were people from very different backgrounds and social class sharing a table in a pub, inviting each others to diner parties and such. People could discuss about art, music, work and even politics, but there was certain respect to keep discussions about certain topics on general level. In terms of game theory, it enabled people to get more information about topics they were interested and some of that turned to knowledge while it also enabled even more topics to be discussed with other groups, so more connectivity.

That system was later undermined by among other things, ultra individualistic attitudes, consumerism and economical changes where people were valued based for their lifestyle or wealth instead of, for example how many they employed. That change is huge contributor to society and norms where we are now, with more means to connect through technology than ever, but unable to do so as we have often become this one person judge, jury and executioner, no matter if we even really understand the topics.

People cope with this with different manner, one of them being escapism and nostalgy just being another method in that.

Thankfully that's not all that there is, but there is also this:

Code:
                            mirror------/    

actual future goals                        \                 mirror      mirror      the past / history

<------------------------------------         O  personal history-/--->|====\============================

\        mirrors

\ -------------------------/------------

That is not everyone and probably never will, but sometimes people look into past to weight are really important things in their lives and focus their aim towards their goals. It's not to live in the past but figure out, how to make the best of options available now, how much the surface matter? There are a lot of highly educated people who end up flipping burgers while paying back student loans that were never estimated to be paid back with those wages. A lot of people 30+ with career though no children, but not everyone is.

That is to say DLC like this wouldn't need to be just some silly nostalgy ride, nor it should as certain things has been already exploited for years. Never ending stream of vapor ware aesthetics, games, synthwave, games taking their pick on that, a lot of stuff contributing towards superficial mess.

CDPR could make this work entirely differently. While Rogue was / is legendary solo, she also worked with others when situation called for that, which creates possibility for player character in Rogue's crew. Rogue also looks like perfect character for this because she is flawed yet, she managed to have a child at some point. Her status could be seen also as position like in CP 2077, that enables a lot of connections. I don't think I was only one nonplussed about assets she called in play in the Sun ending with Johnny and there must be some story where that all came from.

To sum it up. Players who look for their hero arch and blend fantasy for their cyberpunk dark future, could get theirs yet that wouldn't mean that story would be something lame and uninteresting for others. While DLC could through Rogue and other cast could also explore other themes, social and individual very real and human themes through character(s) study and by deconstruction of certain things. We could get a view to what happened to communal efforts by citizens, how the Valentino's turned out to be a gang we see in CP 2077 and so on.

Top Bottom