[SPOILERS] [IDEA] Factions and connecting to the world of Cyberpunk 2077

+
Background

There are 6,964,425 people living in the Night City in 2077, almost 7 million.

We as species aren't very good with numbers that big. Based on background info a little bit less than 3% of citizens can afford health care, using 3% as number that would mean 208,932 peoples, still awfully lot to comprehend. Based on survey done in 2010 average people social circle varies between 150 - 200 people. Limiting factor is known as Dunbar's number, based on his research "While you may have far fewer than 150 of these people in your life, your brain really can’t hold a close connection with more than 150" there's also that within that circle closest 15 are the most important. That survey and research was done in the US and how we define friendship probably varies in different cultures, is what makes Dunbar's number so important.

We however experience the world around us also through other networks, our jobs for example. We can see impact of our work in our organization and (if applicable) client organization(s). Via internet we can access experiences of thousands of end users and so on.

In Cyberpunk 2077 V's story isn't about connecting to that world but about survival in very difficult situation with help of certain individuals and even faction. How this plays out in the end is up to players to decide. V actually gets good glimpse of how things run in this society through different encounters. River's quests for example; how things are in NCPD and how his most important network is in the end his family. That we don't get a popup window pointing these things out is IMO very good design.

Could players benefit from their character connecting to world differently?

Perhaps and possibilities for that definitely exists through factions in game world. There are several problems too. Why would V do that to begin with in his situation after events of Act 1? There's also problem with SIlverhand character after Act 1, why wouldn't he show up from time to time?

That leaves 6 month montage we get in prologue, but there are still issues. Or there could be entirely different player character, but I won't get into detail regarding that.

Example scenario:

Mission: Collect data from the offices of Network News 54 (N54) and World News Service (WNS) undetected.

Synopsis: V has to pair up with wending machine resupply worker to get access to locations needed to get certain information undercover. Jackie is spotting moments of opportunity from neighboring buildings through windows for V to leave wending machines and search offices. During these missions V (player) learns more about game world.

Locations:
Megabuilding H10. V is picked up from here by wending machine resupply worker driving a van with resupply stock.
N54's Nigh City Headquarters at downtown
WNS Anchor workplace / studio, location unknown.

Factions: Wending machine resupply company (unknown) N54, WNS, Militech, Arasaka

The point is to create certain opportunities for player / V to connect to world, so I'm not going to create detailed script here.
  • V could get some background information via text message sent by Jackie. There could be some conversation that sell what wending machine resupply company is and what kind of car to look and what's the job, Jackies role and so on.
  • V could get more information during ride with wending machine resupply guy by conversing with him. About himself, about job, about company and so on. (B for skip option for replayability)
  • V could get more info about N54 once in location. Some place might be beyond from what Jackie could spot and V would need to listen what is happening to find out right moment to get in office V needs to access. V might hear conversations going on like "...you have 64,000 people on payroll. Care to explain how you are unable to..." and reply "...we do appreciate working with Militech building... but there are concerns related to..."
  • At WNS location there might be a conversation over phone and via that or other sources V learns that in global scale, it's actually WNS that is the bigger dog with their personnel of 215,000. V could also learn something about relationship between WNS and Arasaka.
The real meat there might be in opportunity related to real world, topics that cyberpunk is very good platform to explore as there's very thin line between that reality and ours. Perhaps that and other goals, world building to connect player to game world could be achieved by combining information from several sources and job items, which could be something V has to make a copy. V might needed to listen several to find the right one or maybe there would be even Braindances that V could watch.

In terms of connecting the world, there is much here that could be perhaps achieved with voice. Say N54 and Militech conversation could be between their lawyers, that would create another opportunity to portray work culture. There might be staff meeting covering other topics that again portray different areas contributing world building and connecting player through V to that. With all the factions in game and from the point of view of V's undercover role wending machine resupply worker, someone nobody pays attention to, there are really lots of possibilities here.

This is to say, while I really like reading and Datashards are great feature for me and I really don't want to see them gone as people in general read faster than people speak, not everybody reads them. How I pictured a megacorp even before I played Cyberpunk 2077 was also already influenced by cyberpunk literature and something like Arasaka employing 595,000+ people in 35 countries was even expected. But for some players it has appeared like just one tower in Night City.

Ultimately this or these kind of slices of life segments would portray among other things that even in nihilistic and narcissistic world of CP2077 where fake it 'till you make it attitude is probably even a norm, eventually someone sometimes actually needs to do something and be able at something, presented though NPC's.

Problems and solutions.
  1. How to make this work with Jackie?
  2. How to make this work with different life paths?
  3. how would this affect challenge level of the Heist mission?
  4. Replayability, would players like to experience interactive sequences placed within 6 month montage multiple times to begin with?
  5. What kind of further ramifications from prologue players would expect carry past Act 1
  6. Issue with the map and the lockdown
  7. Effect to skill and builds?

Problem 1: Jackie

I don't know about psychology of creating characters for novels or screen or NPC's for games. Some basic factors I could think depend of how much we can flesh out these characters in our minds, fill the gaps so to say. Then that may depend from things that makes us what we are. Things that aren't about better or worse but preferences like introverts and extroverts and where ever we are on that axle, our social circles might be different, leading to different life experiences.​
Say Jackie here reminds me a lot of friend of my little brother and times that go back when they weren't yet 26 so still certain way immortal and stories from their drunken adventures through summer rock festival seasons. Though in the end the mundanity of life tends to get the most of us but some of those things still makes me chuckle at times. So it was easy for me to like and understand this character Jackie. I sure as heck don't want to get too involved in prologue with someone like that who is then going to die anyway. At the same time, Jackie's role and story arch is very important in multiple ways to CP2077 story. Then for someone else Jackie may present some sort of archetype and relate or not relate to character differently.​
I would like to be able to order Jackie Welles in Afterlife though, even if my take to role playing is probably something quite superficial, but I digress.​
Solution: Sideline him. Make him a getaway driver, a contact person, or someone pointing a gun to someone's head to enable V perform some task in a different location.​

Problems 2 and 3: Lifepaths and challenge level of Heist mission.

Solutions: These might be easiest one to solve by different dialogue options and characters from different backgrounds noticing different things and Heist mission difficulty not being of that much of an issue with some level scaling and in the end, we can do quite a bit of work already before doing that mission. I appreciate that we can test out our builds and get familiar with mechanics as that enables to do that mission feeling like a mercenary we are supposed to be instead of novice trying to be that mercenary.​

Problem 4: Replayability, would players like to experience interactive sequences placed within 6 month montage multiple times to begin with?

Solution: This is kind of issue and question estimating how many players would enjoy this to begin with is to experienced designers to estimate and solve. I think worst come to worst, perhaps interactive segments during montage could be made optional.​

Problem 5: What kind of further ramifications from prologue players would expect carry past Act 1?

It would be perfectly reasonable that players who interact with certain people within game factions, would expect these people recognize them if they encounter them later in game. For example, why wouldn't V be able to say something later to Bes Isis if V encountered her before in some other mission at Network 54 building? If V would kill some characters, like Gillean Jordan (N54) then she shouldn't appear later in game. Or even factions, if player would be able to sabotage something major at WNS office, that should somehow show up in game world. Maybe their website would operate otherwise normally but have a notification regarding Night City like "New and Improved Night City news coming soon" or something like that and at some point that might happen.​
Solution: This might work by using same idea what would make connecting to factions possible. For me it would make sense that people starting their mercenary career from the bottom wouldn't be working with anything serious enough to have major impact to their environment, that is a city of 7 million people. Why would anyone give major job to people with no reputation yet? Also make sure certain NPC's aren't in locations when V has a job there.​
So low key jobs, meaning perhaps undercover work. Disguised as wending machine repairman (solo) or other workers we can encounter in game, people who resupply wending machines (they work in pairs). Why exactly would V or (other player character) work with these people, or take a job in the whatever unknown company that employs these people and how would job come available I don't know. But idea is that playing characters like that creates opportunity to experience and connect with many factions of this world, as these guys go everywhere where there's wending machines and there sure are lots of those things around.​
EDIT: Supply van driver could leave town (with his familiy?) after missions were completed with his share of reward and whatever savings. V would know about this via SMS.​

Problem 6: Issue with the map and the lockdown

Issues with map and lockdown are huge. We don't have much to explore before doing the Pickup and the Information. Lockdown has IMO important function so removing that would just create other problems. How enable V to to do jobs during prologue without undermining purpose of lockdown?​
Solution: V is on rails when transferring from one job to another. In game workers who resupply wending machines work in pairs. V isn't worker like that which makes plausible that worker who knows destinations drives their vehicle. V would sit on a passengers seat during journeys to destinations and only exit vehicle once in destination that could be N54 studio or WNN office. Once mission in location would be completed I could see even simply fade out might work in certain situations.​

Problem 7: Effect to skill and builds?

Interactive segment of prologue should give experience and money simply for completing objectives. As these wouldn't be anything high profile these rewards shouldn't be anything big. Skill experience is more difficult matter. There should be possibilities to gain skill experience to fit needs of many kind of goals players might have for their character build. Variations here are too many to get in detail, but something that shouldn't be overlooked as not every player invests to story to begin with.​

If you read all this. Yeah, CDPR probably laid plans for DLC's months ago. Damn...

Last edited:
so basically, you are saying you think the game would benefit from slice of life quests that give you a deeper understanding/connections to the non murder side of the city/daily lives, and steers the character to more lore at times.

I think its a worthwhile objective, but would players want to engage with it? Is this for the average player, or more for the ones who want broader/different side if night city?

so basically, you are saying you think the game would benefit from slice of life quests that give you a deeper understanding/connections to the non murder side of the city/daily lives, and steers the character to more lore at times.

I think its a worthwhile objective, but would players want to engage with it? Is this for the average player, or more for the ones who want broader/different side if night city?
Well, this kinda falls to what I wrote under 4: Solution: "This is kind of issue and question estimating how many players would enjoy this to begin with is to experienced designers to estimate and solve. I think worst come to worst, perhaps interactive segments during montage could be made optional."

I just don't think there's enough presentation of average players here for someone like me to make that estimate.

I was thinking several things really. Like it's perfectly normal, me included, for customers to describe things and set goals without actually realizing they needed to set different goal to solve their issue with product. We just sometimes are terribly bad at things like that.

I also wanted to play with something I see here a lot. There's ton of information about things in game, but not everyone reads datashards, then they come here to complain how things don't make sense. Some people don't understand gangs internal dynamics, even there are gigs that explain those things because not everyone completes them. Or power balance, street gangs are nothing compared to megacorps, 6th. Street for example has 2300 members. I wonder how many Araska supercarrier has, Kujira or the Whale parked near Night City.

I'm not saying people shouldn't ask new features and enhanced features because people should. While lot's of comments may appear negative, there's a lot that actually comes down to "there should be more of it". But perhaps just having more doesn't really enhance the experience. I have pondered for a while how much world building and connecting players to world can be achieved through major NPC's?

I think the best solution would be to integrate these things into the already present narrative arcs.

For example, have us undercover to case Konpeki Plaza before the heist, have us be the ones who come up with the layout, guard patrols and setting up the meet as Militech arms dealers.

Maybe go in as maintenance workers and explore the underbelly of the hotel and figuring out routes for the flathead before hand.

Have us do more outside contractor missions for the NCPD with River before he opens up about Randy's case, that way we would be able to interact more with the corrupt side of the NCPD in a more active fashion.

Expand on the whole Peralez arc, have them invite you out for dinner in an expensive restaurant to explore the paranoia aspect of the situation, having them think that they're being pursued by undercover assailants, maybe have you case the restaurant and interrogate the staff members.

Or with Regina Johnes Cyberpsycho arc, maybe Regina could contact V about a supposed black market rumor that there's an clandestine organization looking into the cyberpsycho phenomena and having V investigate and discover this organization, maybe go in undercover to have their cover blown and reach a deal with them to go and chase down the suspected cyberpsycho attacks, evolve this into a investigative case that leads up to the boss fights, rather than having the investigation at the end of the fight as it is in the game now.

Same with the Sinnerman, have you do jobs for Rachel about the underground implants trade that connects to the scavs and the ripper doc from the Sandra Dorsett mission and have those quests intertwine.

I think the major problem that the game has is that all the characters and interactions are so well done that we end up feeling like we need more, like they were cut short - which is a good problem to have.

It just needs more detail that connects V to the world, more mundane stuff that leads up to the major arcs.

River's quest is a really good example, with having V and River breaking into the police station lab, and all that, it just needed more life breathed into it, maybe dress up as a cop and go in that way, have V interacting with some of the characters there and have us find out about River's connection to the scientist lady.

Basically just more of everything :D.

I think the best solution would be to integrate these things into the already present narrative arcs.

For example, have us undercover to case Konpeki Plaza before the heist, have us be the ones who come up with the layout, guard patrols and setting up the meet as Militech arms dealers.

Maybe go in as maintenance workers and explore the underbelly of the hotel and figuring out routes for the flathead before hand.

Have us do more outside contractor missions for the NCPD with River before he opens up about Randy's case, that way we would be able to interact more with the corrupt side of the NCPD in a more active fashion.

Expand on the whole Peralez arc, have them invite you out for dinner in an expensive restaurant to explore the paranoia aspect of the situation, having them think that they're being pursued by undercover assailants, maybe have you case the restaurant and interrogate the staff members.

Or with Regina Johnes Cyberpsycho arc, maybe Regina could contact V about a supposed black market rumor that there's an clandestine organization looking into the cyberpsycho phenomena and having V investigate and discover this organization, maybe go in undercover to have their cover blown and reach a deal with them to go and chase down the suspected cyberpsycho attacks, evolve this into a investigative case that leads up to the boss fights, rather than having the investigation at the end of the fight as it is in the game now.

Same with the Sinnerman, have you do jobs for Rachel about the underground implants trade that connects to the scavs and the ripper doc from the Sandra Dorsett mission and have those quests intertwine.

I think the major problem that the game has is that all the characters and interactions are so well done that we end up feeling like we need more, like they were cut short - which is a good problem to have.

It just needs more detail that connects V to the world, more mundane stuff that leads up to the major arcs.

River's quest is a really good example, with having V and River breaking into the police station lab, and all that, it just needed more life breathed into it, maybe dress up as a cop and go in that way, have V interacting with some of the characters there and have us find out about River's connection to the scientist lady.

Basically just more of everything :D.
I appreciate these thoughts and going trough wall of text that is OP. Though my approach is entirely different. I would like to get more insight to NCDP detectives, I guess many players could like that.

Issue with NCDP is, that they really don't have jurisdiction in many other powerful factions in the world, like N54 or WNS in my example and these corporations don't have any reason from their side either to involve NCDP even if that would possible, as they have backing of other corporations like Militech and Arasaka in the case of these two. While scenario where this could happen is possible to create, anything is, coming up with something that really feels plausible may be difficult in this scenario.

I rather think that these aren't really limiting factors in setting, even though it may appear that way. These limits are to make other things in possible that really matter in other aspects in world building and connecting player to that. And it looks like that works. I don't think I have ever seen a posts about people asking why NCPD isn't taking down the corps.

I was thinking of River, because he could be very good to explain some things in the city. I was earlier asking about the CityMed and that was because that faction could create more possibilities that I thought would be plausible. It appears though that there's no CityMed in CP2077.

According to background information, members of the Trauma Team volunteer on CityMed clinics. So we could get insight to how many citizens rely on that service, a lot could be done by that alone. Then maybe V might find more info via datashards but, not only via datashards. There might be a educational Braindance for TT members somewhere there and if player would watch scenario might be something I came to think earlier.

One in TT unit is fresh and maybe didn't get familiar with her gear or something. So here they come to rescue and she is supposed to just wait in ambulance and watch, while offering covering fire if needed.​
So said patient has been wounded with a shotgun, not pretty. Player is there with other member of TT to hook patient up to whatever future tech they have for first aid. Hears weird stuff from radio, newbie has some trouble, she starts puking which is not good with helmet on, she is unable to remove it since she didn't get used to equipment and starts really panicking there. So second support then has to help her.​
Gang appears, they don't care about the patient at all, but saw opportunity to rob whatever there's in ambulance as both support units are distracted. So now there's with just one TT with one support fighting entire gang trying to drag patient in ambulance.​

I really appreciated feedback from actual paramedic there. Now how this goes, it's that in this game we have TT AV-4 but what we were probably thinking was perhaps a Humwee or a chopper (or perhaps even nothing that exotic) and helmet was a gas mask or maybe there even wasn't one and so on. These could just be there for player to think whatever. But it would build the world, show and connect player through V to not only to CityMed but also TT and corps reasons to fund CityMed and so expand their role in the universe bit further from what we are seeing now, often just adverts.

The problem here is Johnny and that CityMed isn't in game and even if it were. Why wouldn't Johnny pop up to comment things? Players would likely expect that.

So I came to think different scenario that would involve new factions and in addition to lawyers and staff also explore something, perhaps inspired by things like Daily Telegraph Installs Workplace Monitors On Journalists' Desks or Verizon ... Sugarstring, bans mention of surveillance and net neutrality and this. Overall something what Mike Pondsmith said in one interview, that in Cyberpunk game, we don't have a youtube and effects of that.

People want more from main characters that's understandable but big contributor to that is that we encounter them in situations that makes sense from said NPC point of view. What issue people have don't appear to me to be tied to these characters because they work. Issues I see people post about, say choice and impact. Some players don't understand what being just one person in a city of 7 million means, they do not connect to that, 7 million is just a number. I wonder if relying only to main NPC's is effective solution to connect players to Night City.

Last edited:
Hmm, the only reasonable way to have any of that take place in the current game would be to introduce certain backgrounds for V I suppose.

Like starting off as a MaxTac, N54 operator, or any of the other various daily life ventures and perhaps V could develop certain skills based on it as well, say natural investigator as an N54 operative, combat expert as MaxTac, medical practitioner as a Trauma Team medic etc. that would help during certain quests.

Or have those quests pop up through out Watson in the beginning where V could become a freelance operator for either of them and have certain quests similar to the Peralez arc early on without Johnny or The Relic pressuring V.

Would be really interesting to explore certain mundane aspects of life in Night City.

Another way would be through brain dances I suppose, maybe have brain dances to be explored outside of the main quests that depending on what they are (NCPD, MaxTac, Trauma) at the end they provide certain skill boosts.

Hmm, the only reasonable way to have any of that take place in the current game would be to introduce certain backgrounds for V I suppose.
Oh come on, don't depress me. What is the problem with the way I solved this in my OP?

Oh come on, don't depress me. What is the problem with the way I solved this in my OP?

I don't think it's a problem, I'm just looking at how the game presents itself at the moment and thinking of the most realistic approach we could expect for such stories to take place, V is a merc and they function as a merc and I think that's the base line of any sort of implementation like this.

Which is why the opinion of V offering their services as a contractor would work in this scenario or have them implemented as part of the life path choices.

I don't think it's a problem, I'm just looking at how the game presents itself at the moment and thinking of the most realistic approach we could expect for such stories to take place, V is a merc and they function as a merc and I think that's the base line of any sort of implementation like this.

Which is why the opinion of V offering their services as a contractor would work in this scenario or have them implemented as part of the life path choices.
Umm... wasn't that what I wrote?

There's one problem that is not on 1-7 list, but that's goes with anything added to lifepaths or made interactive segments in montage.

Umm... wasn't that what I wrote?

There's one problem that is not on 1-7 list, but that's goes with anything added to lifepaths or made interactive segments in montage.

Lol I completely glossed over that paragraph without it actually entering my head, sorry about that :D.

Yeah I'm being a gonk you're completely right here...

Although what I did mean about the lifepath is literally starting out as a news reporter, a medic, a bartender and stuff like that instead of the vague Corpo, Streetkid, Nomad.

For V to have a profession through which we can explore different facets of society naturally and then have V's world being flipped upside down for whatever reason.

Although what I did mean about the lifepath is literally starting out as a news reporter, a medic, a bartender and stuff like that instead of the vague Corpo, Streetkid, Nomad.

For V to have a profession through which we can explore different facets of society naturally and then have V's world being flipped upside down for whatever reason.
I get that. I based mine on what I read on forums, how some lifepaths prologue felt very short (nomad was okay) and that montage didn't really connect them to the world and Jackie. But then I realized problem with Jackie and explaining that takes quite bit from OP.

Breaking montage to include interactive parts would and having V do low key undercover work would work with every lifepath with option to have different options to solve problems on missions based on lifepath and explain sidelining Jackie.

I didn't wrote that but availability of higher themes, say what I originally planned TT BD would give access to ethics. Undercover work at N54 and / or WSN facilities could give access to freedom of information. We already see news reports in game how things work for audience, I don't think there's need to be more of that but it might be interesting to see how things work inside. A lot in a way game works is based on things like we don't experience but one thing, there are a lot of things out there that contribute to make the whole experience plausible.

Issue not on the list and breaking prologue/lifepath and / or Undercover merc prologue moot, is T-Bug Augmented Reality tutorial, that also builds the world (AR exists and how it's used). How to work around pacing for that to work in a way that in a way would make sense and wouldn't be jarring and I got nothing LOL.

Perhaps in the supposed multiplayer release we might be able to explore those facets of society, I'd like that as well.

We are going to get content DLC before that and I don't think MP DLC really has to do with higher themes, that's for single player story content.

Thinking that future story content was very likely outlined months, perhaps a year ago I don't think we are going to see anything exactly like this. But I think there's a bottleneck for some players who don't read datashards (and I really liked them) and I don't know... it's not about better or worse but how different players process information, preferred formats.

Setting works because it's certain way very realistic. There will always be outliers but perhaps something could be done by playing the strengths of studio, story and working with subjects, at least in this game that are huge.

I honestly don't know what to expect out of the DLC's at the moment, I would love for extra cosmetic options to be present throughout the game, and perhaps the missions you suggested would only be possible in the first Act because of Johnny implications, unless they recorded some of his dialogue before hand, I believe it's common practice for that to happen or to have extended contractual obligations for the actors in case of extra content.

As far as I know, based on an interview with Cherami Leigh they were still recording dialogue until mid 2020, so who knows, there might be a chance for such content to be presented in the middle of the game.

Act 1 and I was thinking montage and then rest would play like what we have and the Heist would reset that all (and reset is IMO very important). Players would end up exactly into situation like it's now. Not being able to trust but few selected people as factions and individuals all has their own angles to play, but player would know a bit more about the world.
It's quite messed up psychologically, player being more connected but experiencing V's disconnect differently. Glad I don't need to think about that :p

What comes to story content DLC my money is on expanding V's story, maybe finding a cure. I think that's most sought, then perhaps romances. For other features, my guess is that CDPR is going to keep enhancing those as well. Trying to think it objectively, if barber shop feature appeared one day that wouldn't surprise me at all, even though it may not be on my priorities for content.

There's also that Night City has many stories to tell and some of those might not be from V's point of view at all.

Yeah, I think you make a good point here, the game doesn't really convey V's understanding of the world they live in to the player before Act 1 is over, you get to understand more doing the major plot arcs but not before the shit hits the fan, which is probably why some people failed to connect to V.

They weren't given enough of a chance to see a V without a looming imminent death shadowing over their interactions.

So yeah I believe content like this would help with that in the first act, otherwise it might add to the dissonance.

Yeah, montage worked for me as I was thinking it like finding a new life and independency, being perhaps below 26, going from one adventure to next with your buddy and I think lots of players get that and they probably understand certain things like being best buddies with Jackie would be damn torture for players who kept replaying and people would end up hating that character.

But there are blanks. When and how did T-Bug exactly come in to picture? Or did I just miss that. And if CDPR is thinking any of this they might use that as window of opportunity.

But there are blanks. When and how did T-Bug exactly come in to picture? Or did I just miss that. And if CDPR is thinking any of this they might use that as window of opportunity.

I remember that T-Bug and Jackie know each other from past gigs or something similar, she's pretty much just hired by V and Jackie duo for jobs that require a netrunner.

As for The Heist, if you had a chat with T-Bug and Dex they reveal that T-Bug saved Dex's life more than a couple of times in the past, so basically she has a good rep.

Wished there was more with our trio though I loved the banter and quoting philosophers to annoy Jackie :D, and the whole Konpeki Plaza debacle, shows the rich and powerful lifestyle.

You're trying to world build. Which is good. Lots of ideas are good. But why aren't you using the elements the game failed to use. The problem I have with Act 1, is the lack of development of every character. T-Bug, Vik, Jackie, gangs, fixers, and V themselves rising through the ranks. To be even allowed to be considered by Dex. This is why things feel wrong. If Act 1 had properly introduced, did missions, and gave the stepping stones. The world building would be a lot more fleshed out. This wouldn't hamper the heist. It would make it have more sense.

Because, the montage is telling us that: V has become amazing. I didn't play these missions. So I have no connection to this. I'm suppose to like Jackie. With exception of Corpo V being saved by Jackie. The other two LP's, I can't develop that. Everything is cut short on this character. You have a very short act 1, do a montage. And half his missions, he drives away and does other things. He's even cut out of the Stout mission, from the 2018 version of the mission. They did everything in their power to make me NOT care about him.

It's so bizzare to see Jackie be so underultilzed. But Judy, as one example. They built her up so much. Where you can have three different feelings towards her. Weather to save her emotionally, romancing her. Feel wrong to take advantage of her broken state, reject romancing her. Or just see her as a friend to help Judy should have been Jackie.

I also get a very annoying disconnect, when Jackie gets a full blown funeral. But T-Bug is trash to everyone? Vik is a Ripperdoc. Who has a past. We could of had a mission where his past haunted him. This is how we would have first met him. Either kidnapping or him being beaten in his place. Misty could be involved in this mission by being captured along. This could involve one of the gangs. We needed a mission to that showed us looking good towards T-Bug. Who would vouch for us to Dex.

The gangs are a seriously under utilized element. Which would be used to expand on the world. Picking one to focus on. Would invite you to see their position. Agree with, or disagree with them. See why scavs do what they do. What do the animals do etc. Involve the characters that are there. Wouldn't hamper the set in stone story elements. They could be used to flesh out the game, over time.

I'm not saying Act 1 needs to be long as Act 2. But it needs to be much longer than what they did. Than strands of Act 1 can be picked up as side missions later on. The lockdown, is it really needed to begin with? There's many open world games that don't bother with this. They would need to disable missions that have Johnny in them from showing up. But most of the fixer missions and NCPD missions don't need this. Infact, have the lockdown happen. But this is where you build on the NCPD story. Meet Regina, do these story missions that set up her and the sub con stuff. While the city is lockdown.

This opens up world building too. And makes you decide weather you want to help NCPD or not. The game needs choices on what fixers you want to work with. Not have all of them. At certain points, fixers need to be lost. Either a new gang member replaces them, or you lose access to those missions period. I wanted to be able to say "Fuck off Regina. I'm not working for you." V deletes her contact. Or even gets a choice to kill her with Skippy. And the Psycho missions are converted to bounty missions. As one way they could improve on making the world feel real.

V should not have any form of alliance. Unless they go deep as they show with the Alcadoes. Data shards, while they are nice information. I'm not going to read them. I'm sorry, this is a very poor way to world build. This is very close to Destiny 1 nonsense. It should be bonus material to read at a later date. But most of the shards are MASSIVE amounts of information. That really should be in MISSIONS. After a while, I stopped collecting them. I was like: Why am I not playing these shards in the game.

Last edited:
Yep and there's that window of opportunity, things unexplored in the past.

T-Bug for me was very impressive character and I was surprised that she got fried so fast but then, that also drove certain points about grim realities of that world home. But more could be done there. Maybe it could actually be T-Bug who needs some muscle to fulfil contract given by (doesn't matter).

But to expand on factions possibilities here. I don't care to link that anymore but gangs, what would make sense with gangs I had this piece where V could work for Redcab (they have lot's of firepower but they might need someone who can also do detective stuff) or alternatively Battle Cabb (6th. Street) and in scenario where power balance wouldn't be favoring 6th. Street while they try sabotage their competition, it would be make sense for gang to use hired help through fixer, someone that could be not traced back to them. It was fun to see where gang and taxi company stuff came to Cyberpunk lore, it's based on real history with organized crime and Yellow Cab. Pondsmith is genius that way and CDRP got that. 6th Street gang in "The Beast" is driving a Battle Cabb.

Then there are lot of corporations we see but in adverts. I think these offer opportunities as well, but I don't know enough of the settings to really form anything really coherent regarding them.

Top Bottom