(SPOILERS) Is Emhyr var Emreis a good emperor?

+
Wow, lots of answers since I logged out before. Thanks, guys!

What about his policies towards the elfs? I know that he controls Dol Blathanna and that Francesca Findabair is his pawn, but are elves well treated in Nilfgaard?

IsengrimR

Good? I wouldn't say good.

But He's the political beast, a very dangerous and powerful persona. He is also, more or less, fair, which is rare.

Overall. I'd say, he's a badass character that is for the most part, very likeable.

FOR THE EMPEEROOOOR!

Thank you so much for your kind words !

If I was emperor of Nilfgaard, I'd definately hire you as my advisor and...

@SMiki55 to design our banners.
@Synvael to take care of the supplies (mostly pizza and wine)
@Kinley to lead the main crossbow regiment (I'll blame him if we lose a battle)
@ReptilePZ to be the cynical jester

I actually laughed aloud reading this post, especially about poor @Kinley being in charge of a crossbow regiment. I'd stay indoors at all hours of the day, and obviously I'd blame @Kinley for that. ;)

Thank you for your candour and confidence in me. I would not disappoint and advise to my best ability! :fun:
Of course, it's ominous but that line gave me so much hype I nearly fell off my chair. Sorry. :wat:
Just as well, as your post made me fall off my chair. :rofl:

Seriously, thank you for making my night! :cheers:

Last edited:
I hope CDPR will make facial mocap of Charles Dance. Just look at this face and listen to the voice. So much expressions, so much facets and this distinctive way of thoughtful speaking. And the eye work, just perfect...can't wait to see Emhyr in the game. :)

[video=youtube;sSat6whCa-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSat6whCa-Y[/video]

What about his policies towards the elfs? I know that he controls Dol Blathanna and that Francesca Findabair is his pawn, but are elves well treated in Nilfgaard?

I think the correct term is vassal. ;) I think Emhyr views everyone as pawns in a political game, if your worth anything at all. I actually have no idea of how nonhumans are treated in the empire, but I think I remember someone more knowledgeable saying it's not a racial thing in Nilfgaard, unlike in the Northern Kingdoms where many nonhumans are persecuted. If this is true this is possibly the only good thing I know of the empire.
Scoia'tael however are not friends of Emhyr anymore, and no wonder, the way he used them.

Last edited:
I don't duel spice merchants.
What?

Yes, he is a great emperor who conquered a lot of countries and rules the empire for many years. He does not need to prove it to anyone.

As a person, he sure better than a lot of Northern kings. He can be cruel and impatient, can be a dick to people who help him, but so are all of us. He proved his greatness to me when he abandoned his plans concerning Ciri, stopped chasing the prophecy, and the wounder-savior-child, and let his daughter, Geralt and Yen just to go and live their lives. He already had them all, he won, but he chose to refuse all these magical super-powers and shit. In my books it makes him the greatest person ever lived in The Witcher world.

Yes, he is a great emperor who conquered a lot of countries and rules the empire for many years. He does not need to prove it to anyone.

As a person, he sure better than a lot of Northern kings. He can be cruel and impatient, can be a dick to people who help him, but so are all of us. He proved his greatness to me when he abandoned his plans concerning Ciri, stopped chasing the prophecy, and the wounder-savior-child, and let his daughter, Geralt and Yen just to go and live their lives. He already had them all, he won, but he chose to refuse all these magical super-powers and shit. In my books it makes him the greatest person ever lived in The Witcher world.
Hm, I don't know. Deciding against incestious sex and against literally raping one's own daughter doesn't make one the greatest person ever lived in the witcher world if you ask me. It just makes him a human being who preserved at least the some very basics of humanity. ;)

Imo Regis was the greatest person ever lived in the witcher world (behind Geralt of course).. He was the humanity in person.

Hm, I don't know. Deciding against incestious sex and against literally raping one's own daughter doesn't make one the greatest person ever lived in the witcher world if you ask me. It just makes him a human being who preserved at least the some very basics of humanity. ;)

Imo Regis was the greatest person ever lived in the witcher world (behind Geralt of course).. He was the humanity in person.

It was not a point. It was not like he was standing at night at his daughter bedroom door, and decided not to molest her.

What he rejected is a super-power and essentially control over the world. Plus, he was chasing the prophecy for years, and when people are that much invested into changing the future, or making something to come true, they are becoming virtually slaves, and it is practically impossible to break. We saw what it did to Loredo and his mom, and how other people, sorceresses included (in the books), were ready to do ANYTHING just to get Ciri and would not willingly give it all up. Emhyr already won, he had her, and he chose on his own to give it all up, all his dreams he had about this kind of power.

Last edited:
Wait, so he rejected the power which in turn made him NOT rape his daughter. So in a way you could say he rejected raping his daughter as well because he knew what he had to do if he wanted to seize that power. I don't think you can aknowledge one thing without the other. So, yeah, he just was ... like .... "normal" for a short time.

It was not a point. It was not like he was standing at night at his daughter bedroom door, and decided not to molest her.

What he rejected is a super-power and essentially control over the world. Plus, he was chasing the prophecy for years, and when people are that much invested into changing the future, or making something to come true, they are becoming virtually slaves, and it is practically impossible to break. We saw what it did to Loredo and his mom, and how other people, sorceresses included (in the books), were ready to do ANYTHING just to get Ciri and would not willingly give it all up.
First, you can't compare sorceresses to humans (elves and sorcerers don't age). And second, no, he didn't lost the control over the world. Ciri could have give him only little, only a powerful heir. Emhyr was not Vilgeforth, he didn't want to extract her blood and becoming a superhero by some genetic manipulation. He couldn't use Ciri's powers for himself and other than the Aen Elle he didn't want to invade other worlds. There is no need for travelling through different world if you just want to conquer your own one. For Emhyr the whole thing was about power, yes, but in the long run. Power for Nilfgaard and power for his heir and finally, power to save the world from the ice age since Vilgefortz convinced him of the prophecy. Power to leave the witcher world and looking for a new place if needed. I guess it was his opinion that a unified world (under the Nilfgaardian rule) would have a bigger chance to survice with the one who could open the gate on the top on the throne (Emhyr's planned son with Ciri) I agree that it was probably a hard decision to let Ciri go but it wasn't a reasonable decision. It was the rest of humanity in him - although being a slave - that saved Ciri and imo not a decision based on morals and reason. You could compare Emhyr to Dark Vader in this case because there is a big similarity. In the end both finally found the power to save their children from pain because in both cases there was some humanity - something good - left in them. Does this make them good people? No, not at all. Showing morality only once in life - even in a situatio in which you have full control - isn't enough for that. How could that be more good or brave than someone who willingly decides to stand up for somebody else even it could mean almost sure death (like in the case of Regis)? Emhyr let Ciri go because in the end, he couldn't live with the remorse, his decency won above his greed and his vanity. Emhyr only cared about himself and the empire and not about other individuals. He let Ciri go because he personally couldn't live with the pain it would have meant to her. That is the reacion which you would expect from a father and an empathic human being in the first place. Risking your own life for other people is a complete different level of decency and humanity imo...

But I agree that for an emperor in his situation Emhyr is at least acceptable. His decision proved that he isn't only a cold hearted killer but that deep inside there are still morality and humanity left. ;)

Last edited:
Wait, so he rejected the power which in turn made him NOT rape his daughter. So in a way you could say he rejected raping his daughter as well because he knew what he had to do if he wanted to seize that power. I don't think you can aknowledge one thing without the other. So, yeah, he just was ... like .... "normal" for a short time.

The point is it was not about any rape. It was about super-powers, and incest was something necessary to do for him to get these powers. But he refused to go through this because he genuinely loved his daughter, and did not want to harm her.

But again, a chase of super-powers turn people into madmen, and practically none of them abandon this chase willingly, and commit any atrocity on their way. As I observed a fear of the future, or a desire to change a future is a super-addiction, worse than drinking, smoking or drugs. Whoever tries to ever break any addiction would understand that is is practically impossible to do right on the spot. Emhyr was as mad about the prophecy as they were, but he found in himself a will to stop, to think about what he was doing, and give it all up. This shows that he is incredibly strong-willed, not a slave to any destiny, prophecy, or madness, and that he genuinely cares about Ciri.

Last edited:
But again, a chase of super-powers turn people into madmen, and practically none of them abandon this chase willingly, and commit any atrocity on their way. Emhyr was as mad about the prophecy as they were, but he found in himself a will to stop, to think about what he was doing, and give it all up. This shows that he is incredibly strong-willed, not a slave to any destiny, prophecy, or madness, and that he genuinely cares about Ciri.
It was nowhere stated in the books that Emhyr was mad about the prophecy or that he was kind of crazy. Quite the opposite, he was described as very rational, as someone who thinks that the end justifies the means. And again, Emhyr couldn't gain any super powers for himself by raping Ciri.

This whole "chase of super-powers turn people into madmen" sounds made-up for me. To me, all this sounds like Nilfgaardian propaganda. But I'm curious whether you are able to back this claim up with any proof from the books... :p

Every Nilfgaardian, I mean the people that are natives of Nilfgaard, not natives of the Provinces, more or less think that they are descendants of Elves. Their language resembles the elven language a lot, but I can not tell you if their belief has any truth in it. Some parts might be, but others are exaggerated as it often happens.

In the books, there is no description about the state of non-humans in the Empire. I do not think there are many dwarves there, and if they are they would be merchants. And merchants enjoyed high respect in Nilfgaard. Nilfgaardians often reffered to the Nordlings as barbarian racists, so I would guess that racism in Nilfgaard was not as it was in the North. I doubt that Nilfgaard would allow elves to be butchered on the streets. So I would guess the elves were treated much better in Nilfgaard than in the North. I also have a feeling that there are not many elves in Nilfgaard. It is too far south, and the only elven settlement that is in Nilfgaards domain is Assengard, which is very close to the North, in Nazair. So the elves wouldn't need to send Scoia'tael units in Nilfgaard. Keep in mind that most elves fled to Dol Blathana to live their lives, some even further east to the Blue Mountains. Some elves live in towns and villages of the North, and much more are in Scoia'tael units. My guess is, if there are any elves in the Nilfgaardian Empire, they would mostly be brigands and thiefs, for example Spark and Shirru (half-elf), since it is described that Elves are very attached to their homeland, and their homeland as I said was mainly on the North.

Now the Northern Provinces of the Empire, that is another issue. There are definitely dwarves there, mostly miners, and are pretty much treated as they would be in the North. The Northern Empires had yet to completely submit to Nilfgaardian law and order.

@new&improved_vivaxardas and @LordCrash

It is said by Emhyr himself, that the prophecy is very important to him. He believes in it deeply, he "knows" it is true. Emhyr was guided by a hope of saving the world. It is not super powers that he wanted, it was to "save" the world from the White Frost, and bring order and law everywhere. And make his family name the most well known name that ever existed. Not that he didn't succeed in that matter.

His action of leaving Geralt Yennefer and his daughter Ciri live their lives, was unexpected and honorable to say the least. Some said that he is a man of his word, and I very much enjoyed the thought that he did it because Geralt made him promise that he would never hurt Ciri, but I do not think it was that. It is because he could not hurt her, not by the boundaries set by his word.

So that clears him of any suspicion that he is utterly ruthless. That decision makes him human.

He is definitely not the best human that ever walked the Earth though. :p

Edit : @new&improved_vivaxardas

An exaggerated "quote", but you get what I'm trying to say I believe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom