[SPOILERS] My personal beef with CP77- How can we justify Johnny's terrorism? Really?

+
I actually don't understand why CDPR did that. IIRC, in the tabletop RPG, the first group "Alpha" with Johny only had tasks to save Alt and erase Soulkiller. The second group "Beta" with Militec mercenaries dealt with the bomb (and industrial espionage). Why did writers change Johnny to worse? Could it be the relic malfunction or straight-up memory corruption or alteration?

I was thinking about that the other day. It's my very personal grip so if you don't agree - you have right, I won't argue.

[...]

So I quite don't understand narrative pushed on me that Jhonny deserves any different treatment, sympathy or second chance. Redemtion? Forgivness? Guy detonate a GOD DUCK NUCLEAR WARHEAD. Half million people are killed . HALF MILLION. Workers, people in parking lot, people that was driving cars, people in cafes, people who were going back from home, working overhours. Again, not evil Arasaka overlords, not CEOs, workers. Even dam Arasaka guards/soldiers were just there doing their job. How many more died from fallout?

Jhonny did that because he believed what he did was just. He believed that Arasaka is symbol of evil. That Corporations are symbol of evil and people that don't agree with him are no better than Arasaka. But he didn't just destroy tower. He murdered people. Night City citizies. Husbands, fathers, mothers, sons etc. He murdered people for his agenda.

There is no difference between those two acts. Both were out of hatred and act of terror that targeted innocent people behind the banner of "Fighting for Greater Good". World held breath over 2973, saying "never negotiate with terrorist. No forgiveness for terror". Here we have half million people killed.

Yet in game you have "Silverhand Special" drink? Jhonny the Night City Legend? Is that a joke? How is he different from Al Kaida?

Now I am not American even. But there is something wrong in trying to justify terrorism in any way. There is no forgiveness for it.

People say that Jhonny is great character. I disagree with it. He is god dam mass murderer, no better than Saburo or Yorinobu or those from our reality that destroyed WTC, shot people in Paris cafe or bombed Moskov metro. You think he is cool guy cause he drink, smokes, play rock and has witty dialogues? What about half million dead innocent people? You think they families would find Jhoony a great character? Cool guy.

At the end of the game it really made me sick of game story trying me to sympatise with terrorist. Seriously, there is something wrong with it. "I know I did many things wrong". Really? You did? I don't think Jhonny ever really understands that he make half million people die, and made thousands families cry in pain.

That is my take on it. Yes, it's personal, but I feel like I should have said it.

While I short of understand where you are coming from based on how the game leaves out some important facts about the event in question......
it was never Johnny's intent or the intent of the Militech mission they where on for the devastation to be anywhere near as bad as it was. Johnny's was on the mission for his own reasons and dropping the nuke for Militech was just his way into the tower. No one on that mission was out to mass murder half a million people. Hope that helps you understand it a little better.

The follow is lore spoilers.

In 2023, Johnny, alongside Rogue, Morgan Blackhand, Shaitan, Thompson, and Spider Murphy led a Militech assault team on the Arasaka American HQ in Night City, with the intention of ending the Fourth Corporate War by destroying the tower with a mini nuke. Johnny had another reason for going back to the Arasaka offices, he wanted to find Cunningham, but there were more than a few obstacles in the way. The biggest obstacle was a Borg, Adam Smasher, a once man who was now more machine than flesh.

On August 20, 2023, an incursion team led by Solo Morgan Blackhand and Rockerboy Johnny Silverhand attempted an infiltration mission to steal/destroy the Arasaka Secure Reliquary Database in the Arasaka Towers facility. During the assault, an area denial nuclear device, or "pocket nuke" was planned to be detonated in the building, with the planned area to absorb the impact of the blast and prevent massive destruction. However, due to interference by Arasaka and Adam Smasher, the nuclear device prematurely detonating on the 120th floor, 366 meters above the ground, destroying much of central Night City. Over a half million people are killed. Another quarter million die in the resulting aftermath. - Red Worldbook

half a million died from the explosion
and half of half a million died from the nuclear fallout

In the world of cyberpunk2077:
Killing people, thieving, heavy drugs, destroying half of the city with a nuclear bomb - is nice, welcomed and encouraged.
But don't even dare to show up naked on the street or mirror, because the consequences for humanity are way worse - such behavior is totally not allowed in any kind.

I mean it's fiction. Do you feel outraged over all the people you kill in all your video games? I mean, are you outraged when over all the poor sons and mothers you ran over in GTA V and do you feel a need to compare it to a school shooting?

huh...yes ? i try not to run anyone who is not a gang banger dealer mf. i caled ambulance in gta v.....and the first thing i did was download the emergency mod that actually revived the peds, the script was in the game but broken.
there should be a way to choose format JC:/

I mean look at 2020 irl
You have people, and named, supported groups of people, advocating for violence for political change.
That's literally the definition of terrorism.
Not surprising that politics of leaked into games.

Gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.
And to be fair, any real rebellion is coated in blood. Mostly innocent. That's how the world works. This game just gave you the options to disagree with it to his (Johnnys) face, if you so wanted to.

As always, you definitely love or hate silverhand.

I personally hate him, I also understand that the bomb wasn't meant to go off where it did. But it did. Outside of that, I couldn't care less about his character. Annoying, druken, asshole that has the mind as shallow as a puddle.

Silverhand is not a terrorist. When you finish the whole story, you'll know.
I did. And I still think that he's a terrorist, who killed thousands of innocent people. "Oh no! They killed my gf, so I'll destroy half of the city!"
Stupid, childish, selfish, annoying mf.
As he said himself once (don't remember when exactly), in some random conversation - he thinks it was worth it, with all the sacrifices.
Fck that as..hole.

Last edited:
At the end of the game it really made me sick of game story trying me to sympatise with terrorist.

And that's where you get things wrong.

The GAME isn't trying to get you to sympathize with a terrorist.

The terrorist is.

Johnny is trying to get you to sympathize with him.

The GAME leaves it open to you to permanently kill him and completely dismiss him at every step.

It is not.

I did. And I still think that he's a terrorist, who killed thousands of innocent people. "Oh no! They killed my gf, so I'll destroy half of the city!"
Stupid, childish, selfish, annoying mf.
As he said himself once (don't remember when exactly), in some random conversation - he thinks it was worth it.

But the fact remains he is not a terrorist at least no in this instance anyway. A drunken drug snorting ass and tough to like for sure. However, it was war not some random act of terrorism and not the first time the two corps involved had been the cause of mass civilian casualties. I mean there was a city where those two corps, Arasaka and Militech, unleashed bio/chemical weapons that killed every single living thing in a mega-city. In Cyberpunk 2077 Johnny is just the strawman for that event in Night City even though it was a Militech Operation.

Last edited:
It is not.

But the fact remains he is not a terrorist at least no in this instance anyway. A drunken drug snorting ass and tough to like for sure. However, it was war not some random act of terrorism and not the first time the two corps involved had been the cause of mass civilian casualties. I mean there was a city where those two corps, Arasaka and Militech, unleashed bio/chemical weapons that killed every single living thing in a mega-city. In Cyberpunk 2077 Johnny is just the strawman for that event in Night City even though it was a Militech Operation.
The word "war" is not really suitable.
Just some drunk as..hole blew a bunch of innocents, and got what he deserved. What a rebel! A true figher!
You've been manipulated by the writers.

Last edited:
The word "war" not really suitable.
Yes it is. It was during the Fourth Corporate War. So it is quite suitable.

Just some drunk as..hole blew a bunch of innicents, and got what he deserves.

Maybe so. But I'll remind you that in our own universe there is a country that deployed not one but two nuclear weapons in hopes of ending a war. In both universes those wars came to an end.

You've been manipulated by the writers.

Not at all, I am just more well versed in the lore of the universe this game takes place in then you. That is the actually historical lore for the cyberpunk universe. Feel free to look it up yourself or read my post up above where I shared it earlier in this thread.

Maybe so. But I'll remind you that in our own universe there is a country that deployed not one but two nuclear weapons in hopes of ending a war. In both universes those wars came to an end.
That sounded like it was a good thing. Like, "hey, the war ended!"
And how does that justify Johnny's actions?
Nobody didnt give him any orders, he was not a soldier. It was he's revenge. And he didnt give a fck about those who died in the process. ( and still doesnt)
Like I said - stupid, childish, selfish mf.

That sounded like it was a good thing. Like, "hey, the war ended!"
And how does that justify Johnny's actions?
Nobody didnt give him any orders, he was not a soldier. It was he's revenge. And he didnt give a fck about those who died in the process. ( and still doesnt)
Like I said - stupid, childish, selfish mf.

That nuke was going off in that tower regardless of whether he was there or not. It wasn't his idea or his plan. As I stated in a previous post, the game leaves out some crucial context and information about the event in question. I don't know the reasoning behind this but it is what it is. He wasn't there for revenge he was trying to free Alt and he used the Militech mission as a way into the tower. He was hired by Militech so yes he was given orders and to the extent that it allowed him to complete his goal of freeing Alt he followed them.

But, you have all relevant information now, and if you still see him that same way that is totally fine. Sorry, in hindsight, if it came across as trying to force you to change your mind. I just wanted to have all the information and context the game left out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom