[Spoilers] Open Sesame! - The Heist

+
[Spoilers] Open Sesame! - The Heist

Second, slower run through HoS - instead of being on a tight schedule I strolled through and along the way picked up some interesting items. So now:

I've read Olgierd's love letter to Iris, which, along with Geralt's reaction, may well influence my choices later on.

That Iris is the painter Van Rogh - dang, now I wish I hadn't sold the one I bought.

That the naughty Master Mirror tried to sabotage the attempt to get the house by writing a letter in the guise of the clairvoyant "Master Matthew", warning Horst that a "wolf" would come and his brother would be involved. Tut tut, Gaunter.. that's not playing fair and that really annoys Geralt. That's why the Borsodis are no more...

All missed the first time as I raced through the attic and down the stairs...

That Iris is the painter Van Rogh - dang, now I wish I hadn't sold the one I bought.

Point 1 and 3 I found in my playthrough too. But how do you get the informaton about the true identity of the painter?

That the naughty Master Mirror tried to sabotage the attempt to get the house by writing a letter in the guise of the clairvoyant "Master Matthew", warning Horst that a "wolf" would come and his brother would be involved. Tut tut, Gaunter.. that's not playing fair and that really annoys Geralt. That's why the Borsodis are no more...

Interesting theory your third point, but I doubt it is O'Dimm who warned Horst about the heist. It's in his best interest that the heist is successful. This "Master Matthew" also asked for an insane amount of gold in the end, which O'Dimm has no reason to do. The Witcher world also isn't short of clairvoyants

Point 1 and 3 I found in my playthrough too. But how do you get the informaton about the true identity of the painter?

It's in one of the letters you find in the area before the safe room, about items that need restoration if I'm not mistaken

It's in his best interest that the heist is successful
This.
O'Dim wants Geralt success with the three wishes, so he can have Olgierds Soul.
Why he should sabotage him ?

But interesting that iris made the Painting.

Does finding it change anything? Missed it on first playthrough, found it in the second, but it would seem that nothing follows from it.

I'm going to guess not; Geralt reads/does things during TW3 that you'd think he would react to but doesn't -
the letter from Fringilla to Yennefer, Yennefer's journal where she writes about wanting Geralt to help her capture a djinn, I've killed and released the Tree Spirit before meeting the Crones
. Even though in this case he says something on reading it, and should be able to guess who wrote it either then, or later after a particular set of conversations, he doesn't seem to put it together.

Would have been nice if all these little bits had been reflected somehow - for example I would have liked
to be able to give Yennefer the copy of the Monumenta Elforum that I'd found with the inscription and for her to react. Especially as I'm not going to romance her.

---------- Updated at 03:52 PM ----------

This.
O'Dim wants Geralt success with the three wishes, so he can have Olgierds Soul.
Why he should sabotage him ?

Except I think he'd prefer to have Geralt bound to him forever than Olgierd. It's not as if there's a time limit; Geralt fails and he gets Geralt, and still has Olgierd. Geralt succeeds, sure he gets the soul of someone who has eluded him for a few years, but he loses Geralt. And he's clearly interested in Geralt.

Besides, he's immortal, bored and he likes a challenge. Pissing Geralt off by making things harder is fun for him, as well as a test of how worthy Geralt is.

Except I think he'd prefer to have Geralt bound to him forever than Olgierd. It's not as if there's a time limit; Geralt fails and he gets Geralt, and still has Olgierd. Geralt succeeds, sure he gets the soul of someone who has eluded him for a few years, but he loses Geralt. And he's clearly interested in Geralt.

Besides, he's immortal, bored and he likes a challenge. Pissing Geralt off by making things harder is fun for him, as well as a test of how worthy Geralt is.

That's plausible, and it would be an interesting twist, but it does seem to contradict O'Dim's other actions (that help Geralt), and especially the way he handles the solution of the contract with Geralt in the ending where
Geralt does not help Olgierd and collects a reward from O'Dim. O'Dim keeps his word, and there does not seem to be any hint of disappointment that his dealings with Geralt are over, only satisfaction that he finally got Olgierd's soul. So everything seems to indicate that O'Dim sees Geralt as a henchman only and clearly prioritizes Olgierd.

Last edited:
Hm i can't see that, and Geralt does not have any contract with him so O'Dim cant "have" him.

Of course he is. Otherwise why pop up in White Orchard like that? He already has Geralt marked out. And he does have a deal; he specifically says that on the ship. "It's a deal."

---------- Updated at 05:17 PM ----------

That's plausible, and it would be an interesting twist, but it does seem to contradict O'Dim's other actions (that help Geralt), and especially the way he handles the solution of the contract with Geralt in the ending where
Geralt does not help Olgierd and collects a reward from O'Dim. O'Dim keeps his word, and there does not seem to be any hint of disappointment that his dealings with Geralt are over, only satisfaction that he finally got Olgierd's soul. So everything seems to indicate that O'Dim sees Geralt as a henchman only and clearly prioritizes Olgierd.

Well, it wouldn't be the first bit of wobbly plotting! But at the same time, he also is a man of his word so
I wouldn't expect him to be disappointed as such, more admiring that someone could undertake the supposedly impossible challenges. Ultimately he can win either way. You see in the other ending that he's not the best of sports when he loses!

But that's me.. I'm always looking for the fun in the evil.

Of course he is. Otherwise why pop up in White Orchard like that? He already has Geralt marked out. And he does have a deal; he specifically says that on the ship. "It's a deal."

Deal Yes...A favour for a favour.
Still no Contract like that with Olgierd. He cant have him without that, and in my opinion he is not interested on Geralt, only at the End when Geralt makes him this offering. Two Souls or nothing. The devil can't say no to that.

He is in White Orchard and "interested" on Geralt, because he knows he needs his Help later. Nothing more and nothing less- in my eyes.
And its a good start for later "Business Relationship" when you can say "Hey Geralt, i helped you earlier to find your Wife"
At least still better than " Hey buddy, we don't know each other, but we should work together."

Deal Yes...A favour for a favour.
Still no Contract like that with Olgierd. He cant have him without that, and in my opinion he is not interested on Geralt, only at the End when Geralt makes him this offering. Two Souls or nothing. The devil can't say no to that.

He is in White Orchard and "interested" on Geralt, because he knows he needs his Help later. Nothing more and nothing less- in my eyes.
And its a good start for later "Business Relationship" when you can say "Hey Geralt, i helped you earlier to find your Wife"
At least still better than " Hey buddy, we don't know each other, but we should work together."

Geralt is also focussed on finding Yen, so Gaunter's probably helping him so that he'll finish up and be available for contracts again.

And I think it's a Contract as far as both Geralt and Gaunter are concerned, in that it's a binding agreement. It's just that Geralt's payment is in the form of a specific task rather than his soul.

If that was the case O'Dimm wouldn't have bothered helping Geralt in Dead Man's Party quest, and leave Vlodimir to possess Geralt just for amusement. There was never a formal agreement between Geralt and O'Dimm like there was with Olgierd. That's made clear if you say No the first time you meet O'Dimm after the shipwreck. Totally agree with @Krull32 , O'Dimm is counting on the fact that he's helped Geralt significantly twice. Aside from a new ugly scar, there's no loss for Geralt for not helping O'Dimm other than being on the bad side of an immensely powerful being who has control over time and weather, and probably the shame of letting down someone who helped him find the love of his life and saved his life from torture and death.

And as much as O'Dimm is immortal and bored, sounds like he's been waiting ages to get Olgierd's soul, and is becoming increasingly annoyed at the fact that some common bandit tricked the Devil. I can't see him wanting to delay the satisfaction of beating Olgierd any longer

Last edited:
Geralt is also focussed on finding Yen, so Gaunter's probably helping him so that he'll finish up and be available for contracts again.

And I think it's a Contract as far as both Geralt and Gaunter are concerned, in that it's a binding agreement. It's just that Geralt's payment is in the form of a specific task rather than his soul.

Yep. Thats what i think too.

Btw, and O'Dim did not fulfilled Geralds Wish, to tell him who he exactly is
" No Geralt, this Time i will not grant your wish.... People suffering and dying when they know this."
Dont know the exact words anymore, but this shows too , that O'Dim is not interested on Geralt.

Well, it wouldn't be the first bit of wobbly plotting!

O'Dim was strangely vague with his deal with Geralt: "I help you and you help me", so Geralt has no idea what he will have to do for O'Dim to fulfill his part. Nevertheless it would seem that O'Dim has nothing to gain if Geralt fails in his quest, because there is no indication that O'Dim gets Geralt's soul or anything else in that case, or that O'Dim would have anything more important or interesting for Geralt to do instead. This is based on what O'Dim himself says and does, including his motivational speech at the beginning at the crossroads: No "fail and you'll loose your soul!" or anything like that.

Of course we are free to make up a lot about O'Dim's true intentions, because we know that he is manipulative, does probably not (fully) reveal his true intentions to Geralt, and nothing he says can be trusted.

O'Dim was strangely vague with his deal with Geralt: "I help you and you help me", so Geralt has no idea what he will have to do for O'Dim to fulfill his part. Nevertheless it would seem that O'Dim has nothing to gain if Geralt fails in his quest, because there is no indication that O'Dim gets Geralt's soul or anything else in that case, or that O'Dim would have anything more important or interesting for Geralt to do instead. This is based on what O'Dim himself says and does, including his motivational speech at the beginning at the crossroads: No "fail and you'll loose your soul!" or anything like that.

Of course we are free to make up a lot about O'Dim's true intentions, because we know that he is manipulative, does probably not (fully) reveal his true intentions to Geralt, and nothing he says can be trusted.

True.

Well, I'm going to stick with my interpretation because I've just been through the post-Rose bit where he talks about the small print in the contract he has with Geralt and how it applies even when it's an oral contract.

Also because it makes the whole thing more fun/interesting for me than everybody else's so far, even if they are right... :geraltthatsgood:

well o'dimm could have fallen into his own trap with that wording because we could fetch his cup of wine and we would have 'helped him' whether or not its a double standard i dont know though

Top Bottom