[Spoilers] Sinnerman

+

Salfin

Forum regular
I think there is a lot going on with Sinnerman.

We have these basic human ideals that span religions and peoples: kindness, forgiveness, redemption, community, and there is possibly nothing more powerful when used as a narrative.

I don't practice any religion, but I was raised in a religious household when I was young. I thought about the story of Jesus and the money changers, and it's lessons about commercialization and religion. I realized that in this alternate reality the money changers had come back finally, but now to crucify Jesus, and in doing so be the only arbiters of his redemption.

In going through with the ritual, you join them, and collect your fee. And yet, if you do not, you leave him with no greater purpose. The quest makes a point of that as well - no one accepts his deep regret, and he is left without a path to redemption. This paints a picture of a society that is content with him wallowing in misery until he dies alone in shame.

Last edited:

Salfin

Forum regular
Great interpretation. I think I got the best ending:
I went through with the ritual, but I made him doubt. So the corp got no money.
And he got his redemption. Because I'm sure, even if he had doubts, he did what he believed in.

In another thread, i wrote a frustrated post about how Cyberpunk was shallow dystopia, and not really art, did not delve into subjects required by the genre. I take that back, that's on me.

A quest like that sticks with you, and there's no combat required, no skill checks. It's also a pretty brave quest to put out there, I am sure it made a lot of people uncomfortable. I was, and yet when you can
sit in an uncomfortable back-stage room and recite the Lord's prayer with him, it becomes somber. You're on your way to an execution, with the condemned.
Good job to CDPR on that one.

My V was a lapsed Catholic who joined with Joshua because the man was going to be executed no matter what and was trying to make his inherently meaningless death, meaningful. He helped with the execution because that was the only way Joshua could have ANYONE by his side when he died.

And no one should have to die alone.

It also put his own incoming death into perspective. I wished I could refuse the Eddies from Rachel, though. I also wish killing her was an option (even though that would dishonor Joshua's actions).

the top 3 side quests for me was, this one, rivers nephew and getting the band together for a one night gig.

Salfin

Forum regular
I think it's also interesting in that it's a BD that the studio believes will make a lot of money.

People are so desperate for redemption, they'll pay to experience it, when ideally, it's freely given.

I didnt like how you never got to address hes a murderer not a savior/healer and he simply WANTS to be seen like the messiah after a life full of regret but i still really enjoyed the mission and where it went

that said, I was pleasantly surprised to see prayers from other faiths but was curious, is there a reason im unaware of that there was no Muslim prayer? Judiasm is the smallest "world religion" (similar to pandemic rules, that only infers a geographic spread over multiple continents vs isolated to a region or area) and its in there (plz dont flame me, i have Jewish ancestry and family - I love that its there, just pointing out you cant use size of religion as an argument, especially w how large Islam is)

[Im a non-practicing Catholic and so is my current play thru, lol]

In another thread I speculated that this particular mission was so important due to it directly addressing so many of the themes that the entire game is based upon. Death, rebirth, faith, and corporate exploitation of these concepts for mass consumption.

it is a very delicate subject. it affects believers to people who hate religions. furthermore; this possibility of being totally Machiavellian or even sadistic.

from my honest point of view with myself, I, this rebellious woman that I am, yet I am an Orthodox Christian; what do I do? I pray with him, I help him, I absolutely refuse to nail him to the cross.
although it is useless, I beg the corp not to broadcast that.

I do this as a free woman to think, to believe, without judging.
- Cogito ergo sum.

it is a very delicate subject. it affects believers to people who hate religions. furthermore; this possibility of being totally Machiavellian or even sadistic.

from my honest point of view with myself, I, this rebellious woman that I am, yet I am an Orthodox Christian; what do I do? I pray with him, I help him, I absolutely refuse to nail him to the cross.
although it is useless, I beg the corp not to broadcast that.

I do this as a free woman to think, to believe, without judging.
- Cogito ergo sum.
is this the philosophy class ?

I hate that there is no way to change the outcome of this quest and to save Joshua. Why CDPR? Why?!

I have nailed him to the cross for the best reward... and it still haunts me...

I hate that there is no way to change the outcome of this quest and to save Joshua. Why CDPR? Why?!

I have nailed him to the cross for the best reward... and it still haunts me...

he was on death row.... how would you save him? Why would you save him? He is an admitted killer, not that V isn't, but what makes him more deserving of life than the others you kill?

I don't know why, but that quest brought tears into my eyes. Must heve been some unoptimal GFX setting at work, or something.

Top Bottom