[Spoilers] The Beast In Me lacks effort

+
Hi, this may come out as a rant, matter of fact it is... But I'm also wishing to collect opinions

I've been playing the story through three time, and I enjoy every single mission, but some element do lack effort, more or less...

But this mission is probably what hurts me the most, The Beast In Me is a four part story where you race with Claire, and these races firstly seemed fun.
But I came to realise that the pathfinding of the NPCs during the race was athrocious, they would crash constantly, losing an enormous amount of ground, on top of that, the shocking following happens, if you come to get far enough, and that you look forward instead of backward, the game will teleport the NPC back behind you and set them on their regular speed, in order for them to make sure the race goes as intense as possible.

I'm super dissapointed by this one because it just proves that they didn't even try to make a correct pathfinding, they knew their AI was absolute garbage at driving and just took the easy exit.

Regardless of that the races remain possible, actually I find them easy to finish, but the challenge is just fake and the pressure based on the fact that these NPC have cheats enabled, not that it's an actual race.

I'd like to discuss about what everyone thinks, if this practice is okay in game design for other people as I'm feeling this doesn't relate to a simple glitch, but litteral code by a dev.

I initially enjoyed this quest line...until I started to realize how the AI behaves. (I won't get into the writing.) Basically it seems like you would be really hard pressed to loose because the cars slow down, stop or crash allot if you fall behind or crash out. What infuriated me the most was the last race and the fact that is scripted even though multiple time it is stated that the race is "anything goes" and gun play is apparently integral - but none of that matters because it is scripted. I destroyed my vehicle trying to win the race and deal with Claire's nemesis as would befit how the race was portrayed, but I could not because it was scripted....

How I wish I could rant about the AI, but each and every race has crashed on me.

For the first 3 I needed to actually NOT get ahead of the pack by more than 50m, as that resulted in an instant CTD. On the final race tho I'm keeping up and behind Samson/Simpson whatever, and as soon as he gets to more than 50m the game crashes to desktop.

Why is the 50m the sweetspot, or better yet the death-spot? How was this coded, CDPR?! Wth... The absurd amount of CTDs are definitely ruining the role-playing/story experience.

No problem with races on Xbox One X, except that illusion of racing was shattered by that AI was unable to keep up, AI bubble or whatever is surrounding the player is too limited if there's someone who may play racing games.

In terms of writing, there are 3 different possible outcomes from that quest line and was one of my favorites.

Scripting is present in all races actually. i have ended second in first race, after i was in lead entire race, but suddenly just few meters in front of the flag, AI car that was nowhere near me just rammed me out... It almost seems like if you do too well, you get sucker-punched like this... because on my first playthrough i won all races, and this end race incident did not happened..

yeah...
it feals like a bad implementation of some old NfS games, where the other cars where always as fast or slow as you

ou can sit down in Skyri
Scripting is present in all races actually. i have ended second in first race, after i was in lead entire race, but suddenly just few meters in front of the flag, AI car that was nowhere near me just rammed me out... It almost seems like if you do too well, you get sucker-punched like this... because on my first playthrough i won all races, and this end race incident did not happened..

yeah...
it feals like a bad implementation of some old NfS games, where the other cars where always as fast or slow as you

Scripting, so to say happens because game can't track AI cars over long distances, so if player is fast they solved the problem by jumping AI cars back in player bubble to maintain illusion of race.

Old NFS titles among few others uses technique often called "rubber band" AI. It was too created to keep races hectic despite player skill and was quite hated for a good reason.

While they may appear very similar in effect in game, they are two totally different mechanics. CP can be fixed, AI based on rubber band, I supposed technically everything could be possible, but not once I saw it fixed in racing titles of the past.

Rubberbanding just means they go lightning fast, but they still follow the track. Here they teleport to a set distance behind.
Easiest to see this is to bring a caliburn to last race you will easily take the lead and keep it and even miss chasing the guy when he goes off because you passed it already.

One of nfs games I by accident got opponent stuck in the side of the road and even lapped once then he got loose and the speed ha made the next two laps to catch up to me was nothing short of the speed of light, he was right behind me again after I only got half a lap more and even then loosing the 4 lap race. That time I rage quit and didn't go back to it for a week or so.

I was under the impression based on the mini-map going nuts that the ai is being spawned behind you, not rubberbanding. I tried rotating the camera in the straights and all the cars usually are side-by-side wrecking into each other. Sometimes one will break away and chase you down.

It was really lackluster.

Top Bottom